Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
hell, i'd always see mutants dragging away my dead body after i died if i waited long enough.

has anyone made a campaign for CoC? something like ogse+coc would be delightful, if there isn't a campaign i'd have half a mind to learn how to make one myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there a way to alter the FOV for Call of Pripyat? 50 is kinda narrow for me.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is there a way to alter the FOV for Call of Pripyat? 50 is kinda narrow for me.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/arsenal-overhaul/downloads/field-of-view-switcher-17

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Haha, I did the Chimera hunting quest for Trapper in Yanov. Found a nice spot up on a hill to camp out and wait for the thing. It spotted me and tried to run up the hill. It stepped on a landmine and died.

Much easier than expected.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

just reinstalled windows and CoC, the autoupdater doesn't seem to work tho. it checks all the files and then when it starts to download a list i get an unhandled exception. it doesn't crash it entirely but if i choose to continue it just sits there. weird.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

masked sex hero posted:

hell, i'd always see mutants dragging away my dead body after i died if i waited long enough.

has anyone made a campaign for CoC? something like ogse+coc would be delightful, if there isn't a campaign i'd have half a mind to learn how to make one myself.

Yeah, always saw mutants dragging or eating bodies.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Haha, I did the Chimera hunting quest for Trapper in Yanov. Found a nice spot up on a hill to camp out and wait for the thing. It spotted me and tried to run up the hill. It stepped on a landmine and died.

Much easier than expected.

I got lucky when I did it. I timed it perfectly by pure accident to get through the Oasis just in time to pop out on top of that building while some dude was taking shots at the Chimera nearby. So after he died I just sat up there and sniped the Chimera. It eventually saw me and came over to gently caress my day up but just couldn't manage to get up there.
On a second play through I tried to get him to rampage through the bandit holdout with all the shipping containers, but he'd never follow the whole way.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Urgh, it's been too long since I played this game. I forgot you could give Morgan's PDA back to Duty and get into their armory. I was an idiot and sold it to Owl, so I'm locked out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Made it to pripyat proper and helped the military ambush monolith. Now I feel kind of aimless. With the military located I don't have that much drive to complete the plot and I'm just wandering around collecting ever scarcer artifacts. I swear I found more high value artifacts with a Veles detector than the svarog.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Arcsquad12 posted:

Made it to pripyat proper and helped the military ambush monolith. Now I feel kind of aimless. With the military located I don't have that much drive to complete the plot and I'm just wandering around collecting ever scarcer artifacts. I swear I found more high value artifacts with a Veles detector than the svarog.

Something that kept me hooked on SoC was playing Oblivion Lost and doing the artifact transmutations to see if I could actually get all of the rare super stuff and just collecting artifacts themselves and stashing them away, even those useless cobblestones. But the other two games there just doesn't seem to be that desireable a goal once the game ends.

Currently giving Faction Wars a whirl after sitting on it for a while, and while early on the game seemed like it was purposely trying to gently caress me, now it's just getting to an endless slog of "your teammates are loving useless, everything you captured falls instantly". Really pissed me off when a group of loners decided to walk through the firefight between myself and Freedom only to find out you have to pay that sanction to get your guys to respond to radio calls after I leveled the Freedom base. So once I got back after solving that little issue, Freedom had already repopulated the place like a bunch of loving rabbits.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Can I mod my CoP install if I have already installed CoC as it's a separate thing?

Sparkyhodgo
Jun 21, 2003
Long potato

NonzeroCircle posted:

Can I mod my CoP install if I have already installed CoC as it's a separate thing?

If they're separate installations, sure. That's exactly what I do.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Awesome thanks, thought it would work as it just checks for a legit CoP but didn't want to bork CoC just in case.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

NonzeroCircle posted:

From my understanding CoC just requires CoP to be installed just to prove you actually purchased a game and not getting this totally free. It doesn't actually use CoP for anything since CoC is stand alone.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
As brutal as the game is the one thing I always felt lacking was a good gore system.
Not only is is badass it provides a decent visual reason why you can't take a dead guy's armor.

It probably would have been nice to have a sequel some other NPP disaster like 3 mile island but blown out of proportion for the plot.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 22, 2016

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

An idea I had was that a Zone directly on the opposite side of the globe from the original
forms. This would be the South Pacific, far from land. The opening cutscene would be a scientific helicopter expedition with Strelok doing a flyover, with him looking down at strange poo poo going on on and just below the surface of the ocean. Something something THE ZONE IS DESTABILIZING EVEN MORE and another (explorable) Zone pops up in Canada or something.

Also Strelok would be terminally ill with some Zone related disease and would be a supporting character for a new protagonist. There would be a very different atmosphere due to location, not to mention a significantly less Slavic influence.

I dunno.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Missing Name posted:

An idea I had was that a Zone directly on the opposite side of the globe from the original
forms. This would be the South Pacific, far from land. The opening cutscene would be a scientific helicopter expedition with Strelok doing a flyover, with him looking down at strange poo poo going on on and just below the surface of the ocean. Something something THE ZONE IS DESTABILIZING EVEN MORE and another (explorable) Zone pops up in Canada or something.

I'm listening.

Missing Name posted:

Also Strelok would be terminally ill with some Zone related disease and would be a supporting character for a new protagonist. There would be a very different atmosphere due to location, not to mention a significantly less Slavic influence.

I dunno.

I'm out.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Yeah a frozen tundra landscape would be killer, or a landscape in a very hostile place like Australia where the majority of the fauna there can already kill you.

The one thing I agree that needs to remain constant would be the slavic influence. So why not Siberia? Everything there is already trying to kill you and it's a frozen landscape. Just one thing that needs to happen is a completely different biome with completely different monsters, anomalies and mechanics.

A slavic influence could remain if the zone itself was teleported to a completely different location, taking everyone and the culture with it. Also a good reason for replacing the fauna or at least most of it be the side effects of displacement of the zone. It either killed the mutants already there outright, changed them or entire species were killed because the new mutants kicked their collective rear end.

And everyone who survived was taking shelter because it seemed like just another emission. Except the zone pulled a The Island from Lost instead of getting sick all over the place. So the majority of the people there would still be slavic.

AND all the slavs would be Vets at this point. So any influence from the culture of the new location could be interesting yet still background.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 25, 2016

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

this is getting out of hand

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Missing Name posted:

I dunno.

How did you get my notes for Castle Bravo?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Are there any decent mods along the lines of AA2 that make the Zone snowy instead of autumnal? I remember seeing one in development a while ago

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

How did you get my notes for Castle Bravo?

Found a PDA

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

gently caress!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Didn't sell it to Owl?

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Didn't sell it to Owl?

I needed a new one. The worst part is, I lost all my old notes from Mein Kampf and the coordinates to those gold teeth I never got around to looting.

Any decent mission stuff for CoC lately? I kinda set it aside until new stuff pops up.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Missing Name posted:

I dunno.

Instant popularity winner, the zone is Fukashima

I kinda think at times with the movie industry running out of ideas, make a trilogy of movies off the game play through. But then I think how Hollywood will gently caress it up and decide no, that might not be great.

And holy gently caress. After playing faction wars for a while I decided to run through SoC again for the hell of it. It's reading the Clear Sky folder despite them being in separate locations and got the mother of all glitches while trying to cross into the Dark Valley. Endless stream of rodents, dogs, psuedodogs, and snorks. So bad that it keeps crashing my game because the game engine can't handle it all.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 28, 2016

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Missing Name posted:

Any decent mission stuff for CoC lately? I kinda set it aside until new stuff pops up.

DoctorX Questlines came out today for 1.3.2. Haven't tried it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
One of the english Stalker books, "Southern Comfort", is actually about a New Zone in Afghanistan.

It's quite a good book, as far as video game tie ins go.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I've been meaning to read Southern Comfort. The other one, which I forgot the name of, was pretty decent. Felt in line with the universe. A few groanworthy quotes from the game like WAY TEW LOAD OFF ALL THAT CRRAP ON ME, ILL KNOW BETTER NEXT TIME. But also I hardly read fiction in general so what do i know.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I've been getting that stalker itch again, i tried playing through the Metro Redux games but its like methadone and i can't loot till my eyes bleed.

What's the new hotness in stalker modding? I don't really care about the story now but i do like having faction warfare/missions/something to do to structure my free-roam. I also like a slower progression from bottom of barrel pistol to automatics to tactilol AR with exoskeleton so anything that keeps that intact somewhat would be great.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Fellis posted:

What's the new hotness in stalker modding? I don't really care about the story now but i do like having faction warfare/missions/something to do to structure my free-roam. I also like a slower progression from bottom of barrel pistol to automatics to tactilol AR with exoskeleton so anything that keeps that intact somewhat would be great.

Call of Chernobyl. You're probably best of waiting until the new 1.4 release drops, it promises a lot of new improvements as well as a minimalist story mode to drive you through the maps if you want. That release may be as soon as next week if one of the devs is accurate in their statement.

If you want to try it right now, the 1.4RC version in addons has better missions than the released 1.3.20 version but also comes with a few bugs. I get crashes every hour or so, but still prefer it to 1.3.20.

For guns, I find the STCoP addon better quality overall than AO3 but that's subjective.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
I'd love there to be a STALKER type game set in the Half Life universe. The Black Mesa Research Facility as the equivalent of the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant, where the disaster was the interdimensional accident in original Half Life 1, caused by experimenting with some "anomalous material" from another dimension.

Could be set a few months or years after Half Life 1 if you wanted it before the Combine invasion, or several years later if you want the Combine to be a presence in the game. (Wouldn't make much difference... you either have human military soldiers and helicopters, or Combine cyborg soldiers and helicopters. Either way, they shoot at you.)

At the end of the Half Life expansion Opposing Force the facility was nuked by the government, and the Black Mesa facility had a bunch of nuclear reactors anyway (such as the Lambda Core), so there's good reason for there to be lots of Chernobyl style radiation.

During the original game lots of alien creatures from another dimension appeared, each in a flash of light and bolts of green lightning. There was an entire ecosystem of alien animals that appeared randomly due to the dimensional rift. There was even alien plants and fungi growing towards the end of the game. The alien life forms are the perfect equivalent for STALKER's mutants.

So the setting would be that the New Mexico desert has become a huge exclusion zone, ravaged by strange dimensional anomalies, radiation, and weird alien creatures. However the alien dimension contained exotic matter / anomalous material, and due to the dimensional overlap deposits of this rare and valuable stuff are forming on Earth. Artifacts!

So various groups of people try to venture into the zone, though the government (or Combine) tries to keep them out. Perfect STALKER set up.

Also in Half Life 2 a newspaper clipping says 'world ravaged by Portal Storms' and shows a photo of a huge thunderstorm with big bolts of lightning. Those 'portal storms' could be the equivalent of blow outs / emissions. And as well as being a dangerous radioactive storm, it would cause lots of alien creatures to randomly spawn in from the dimensional rift, and create deposits of exotic matter (artifacts).

Also, the nice thing is that if people didn't fancy the setting of the American New Mexico desert... the portal storms are supposed to have spread across the world, and are the explanation for why the whole world ends up full of alien creatures. Indeed Half Life 2 is set in Eastern Europe.

So while Black Mesa might be the original zone, can have the game set anywhere in the world, as long as at least one portal storm has hit that region. Chernobyl type zones popping up all over the world.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I'm sure this has been asked but how do I update CoC with the auto updater? Getting back into Stalker since I have a new PC now.

And of course as soon as I post, I figure it out.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

v1ld posted:

Call of Chernobyl. You're probably best of waiting until the new 1.4 release drops, it promises a lot of new improvements as well as a minimalist story mode to drive you through the maps if you want. That release may be as soon as next week if one of the devs is accurate in their statement.

If you want to try it right now, the 1.4RC version in addons has better missions than the released 1.3.20 version but also comes with a few bugs. I get crashes every hour or so, but still prefer it to 1.3.20.

For guns, I find the STCoP addon better quality overall than AO3 but that's subjective.

Is there any link to the beta version? I can't find it on moddb anymore.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

In Call of Chernobyl, what pistol does best against armored enemies? I'm thinking it's either a 9mm with the 7N21 AP ammo, the 10mm, or the Five-seveN. I'm doing a run where I basically don't use assault rifles, because they are too good all around and make it boring. At any given point, I'm either going to be carrying a sniper rifle, machine gun, or the KS-23, with a pistol as backup. .40 or .45 FMJ does a good enough job on bandits and other lightly armored enemies, but it would take an entire magazine to bring down an exoskeleton.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

In Call of Chernobyl, what pistol does best against armored enemies? I'm thinking it's either a 9mm with the 7N21 AP ammo, the 10mm, or the Five-seveN. I'm doing a run where I basically don't use assault rifles, because they are too good all around and make it boring. At any given point, I'm either going to be carrying a sniper rifle, machine gun, or the KS-23, with a pistol as backup. .40 or .45 FMJ does a good enough job on bandits and other lightly armored enemies, but it would take an entire magazine to bring down an exoskeleton.

i played alot of the specialist for half life back in the day so i'd say go with 10mm

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I was having lots of fun with a saiga and rex magnum. Sabot for long range and exoskeleton fuckers, buckshot for close range, magnum for mid range.

Not a stealthy load out. (AO3)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I do like the 10mm, and 10mm JHP fucks up any mutant short of a chimera. It does pose a problem when I just have a 10mm and a vintorez when I meet a chimera, though. A pseudogiant I can run from, but it's a lot harder to lose a chimera. Maybe if I learn the holdover on the KS-23 I can use slugs on that rather than a Vintorez. A slug from that will kill even an exoskeleton, and I bet a magazine would kill a pseudogiant.

Has anyone gotten the M60 or PKM to have decent accuracy? I'm wondering if part of my problem with the 249 is accuracy causing me to need to use too much ammo.

What variable in weapons.ltx should I adjust to decrease the rate a weapon wears down? 2-2.5 magazines in on the m249 and it's already jamming. Also, what graphics settings do I need to make the EOtech work? I'm on minimum because I had to switch to a older, weaker power supply while my old one is getting RMAed. The reflex sight and soviet reflex sight have a low end setting where it just looks painted on, but the EOtech is just blank.

I know that's a lot of questions.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Y'all tried out the newest OGSE? Its pretty drat cool so far and I've only gotten to see Fox the first time.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Where can I check what the new CoC patch will add? The Moddb page has no mention of a new version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentJR
Jun 5, 2011

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Azran posted:

Where can I check what the new CoC patch will add? The Moddb page has no mention of a new version

Here's the changelog from the latest release candidate, before they took it down. I'm anticipating the full release with even more changes.

Readme posted:

Change Log
----------
+ Added 35 alternate player starting locations. (RC 1/2/3/4)
+ Added achievement 'Wishful Thinking'. (RC 4)
+ Added basic storyline quest tying major locations together. (RC 4)
+ Added character portrait selection to character creation. (RC 4)
+ Added debug option for displaying enemy health bars. (RC 4)
+ Added hidden start mode in the faction select screen. (RC 3)
+ Added PDA broker dialog to Hawaiian as Jupiter lacked one. (RC 4)
+ Added spawns to Agroprom Underground (ShoC part) (RC 4)
+ Added spawns to X-8, X-16, X-18 and X-19/X-10. (RC 4)
+ Added spawns to Monolith Control Center and Sarcophagus. (RC 4)
+ Added working traditional arena and versus mutant challenges. (RC 4)
+ Agroprom Underground from Shadow of Chernobyl merged with existing level. (RC 4)
+ Ammo aggregation to fix mismatched ammo box counts. (RC 1)
+ Context menu script callbacks enabled via engine. (RC 4)
+ Drag and drop script callbacks enabled via engine. (RC 4)
+ Map spots for previously unmarked Zaton/Jupiter/Pripyat anomalies. (RC 1)
+ Official S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Chernobyl main menu theme by Noxx. (RC 2)
+ Online exclusion checking, prevents a-life spawning directly on player. (RC 4)
+ Repair kits can now repair outfits and weapons, useful for spares. (RC 1)
+ Sleep deprivation compatibility with 2C's items addon. (RC 2)
+ Sleep deprivation compatibility with /sg/'s item soup addon. (RC 2)
+ Sleep deprivation compatibiltiy with misc. vanilla items. (RC 2)
+ Tasks can now be cancelled if player doesn't want to do them. (RC 3)
+ Quicksave slot system, number of available slots set via game options. (RC 4)

* Cardan can no longer be made drunk, his alcoholism was cured in CoP. (RC 4)
* Changed names for missing CoP map spots to match CoC's naming scheme. (RC 1)
* Corrected grammar errors in the 'Rag and Bone' achievement description. (RC 4)
* Corrected loading screens having the wrong border. (RC 4)
* Corrected misspelled level name, 'Great Swamps' to 'Great Swamp'. (RC 2)
* Corrected mistranslated anomaly name, 'Scorched Earth' to 'Volcano'. (RC 1)
* Corrected several typos in the 'Completionist' achievement description. (RC 1)
* Corrected wear and remove options for headgear being wrong way around. (RC 4)
* Debug teleporter lists levels in alphabetical order instead of by config name. (RC 4)
* Emissions no longer occur in 'Generators', as they are their source. (RC 3)
* Fetch tasks now tell you the required item before accepting them. (RC 4)
* Freedom leader in Yanov Station now acts as a trader for the faction. (RC 3)
* Increased chance of receiving mechanic toolkits in task reward stashes. (RC 4)
* Keybindings for companion commands can now be rebinded via the controls menu. (RC 4)
* Reduced fog levels in AstmosFear 3 'very foggy' weather condition variants. (RC 4)
* Replaced all but eating sounds for cats, now they sound more like lynx. (RC 3)
* Replaced all Clear Sky and Ecologist character portraits with CoP-style ones. (RC 4)
* Replaced Darkscape and Truck Cemetery maps with higher resolution versions. (RC 4)
* Reworded reputation names to be less ambigious than they were before. (RC 4)
* Revamped dynamic task system, fixing a handful of issues. (RC 4)
* Revamped game options menu for better integration with AXR options. (RC 4)
* Revamped global world map, now visually similar to the leaked S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 map. (RC 4)
* 'Tourist' achievement now requires you to also visit every underground level. (RC 4)
* Yantar scientists are now invulnerable unless actor is enemy. (RC 4)

= Fixed 'Artefacts detected' stat not increasing. (RC 1)
= Fixed Bandits in Jupiter container yard attacking bandit players. (RC 2/3)
= Fixed Bandits in Jupiter container yard warning the player to leave. (RC 2/3)
= Fixed 'Favourite weapon' stat breaking with AO3 or STCoP. (RC 1)
= Fixed 'Geologist' achievement not being unlockable. (RC 1)
= Fixed Gromov drinking himself into a permanent stupa. (RC 4)
= Fixed headgear not being repairable - now treated similar to outfits. (RC 3)
= Fixed lighting issue caused by r2_ls_bloom_threshold being too low. (RC 3)
= Fixed Mercenaries in Zaton's waste station warning the player to leave. (RC 2/4)
= Fixed multiple crashes when starting a new game in survival mode. (RC 1/2)
= Fixed 'Protecta' shotgun playing pump-action sound on reload finish. (RC 3)
= Fixed relations between the Clear Sky and Mercenary factions. (RC 4)
= Fixed repair interface showing really long repair percentages. (RC 3)
= Fixed 'Sarcophagus' having wrong weather type, now 'indoor_ambient'. (RC 1)
= Fixed stashes in underground levels being revealed on the global PDA map. (RC 3)
= Fixed tasks being repeatedly offered multiple times per dialog. (RC 3)
= Fixed 'Thumbs.db' file being present in gamedata causing crashes on launch. (RC 4)
= Fixed Trapper having the wrong name translation. (RC 3)
= Fixed Trapper not caring about weapon condition despite mentioning it. (RC 4)
= Fixed Trapper's quest markers pointing towards Nitro when in reward stage. (RC 3)
= Fixed 'Zombified' faction's friendly relations when playing survival mode. (RC 3)
= Fixed Zulu's door requiring your weapon to be holstered before entering. (RC 3)

- Removed dependency on ui_mm_faction_select for AO3 & STCoP. (RC 2)
- Removed duplicate artefact stat incrementation. (RC 1)
- Removed ecologist guard outfits with odd animations. (RC 4)
- Removed 'god_outfit', made redundant by 'g_god' and 'god' commands. (RC 4)
- Removed multiplayer keybindings from controls menu. (RC 2)
- Removed several dozen unused info portions. (RC 4)
- Removed Shadow of Chernobyl ambient sound effects. (RC 4)
- Removed unused weapon section 'wpn_binoc_tier_2'. (RC 1)