Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
If Phoenix's wild-rear end speculation is true, boat shop guy is really dedicated to his crazy-man craft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 4 - Turnabout Goodbyes
Investigation (Day 3) - Part 1

: A memory... of a murder.

: ... I don't believe it. Not Edgeworth. Some painful memory has been troubling him recently... But he'd never take someone's life! Never!
: Nick...

: Whaddya think of my performance today? I had 'em swooning in the ailes! Huh, Maya?
: S-swooning? Me?
: Oh... Oh, yes.
: I do remember feeling faint.
: Right on! Tell me the truth, it was like love at first sight, right?
: Right, Nick?
: H-huh? Me!? I... uh, well, maybe my heart skipped a beat or two...
: ... I think you can do better than that!
: C'mon! I saved Edgeworth in there, dude! Edgey!
: You guys should be bowing before me! Yeah! Bow before your hero!

We should probably find out what happened between scenes there.

: Larry... You really helped out in the trial today.
: You did! If you weren't there, Larry, I'm sure Mr. Edgeworth would have been found guilty!
: Hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah!
: But, seriously, Nick. That boat shop caretaker guy is pretty suspicious... But Edgey ain't off the hook yet!
: Way to spoil the mood, Larry.
: Hey, I'm just a guy sitting in the audience, you know? But from where I was sitting, Edgey seemed pretty... edgy. I mean, can you really know he's telling the truth about that night?
: ...
: Nick?
: I don't know. But... what I do know is... I'm going to believe in you two until the end.
: Us two?
: Edgeworth and... who else? You mean me right?
: Nah! He means me! Right, Nick?
: Yeah, you, Larry.
: Not... me? ...
: B-but why you, Larry!?
: Huh? Um, actually, yeah. Why me, Nick?
: Hmph. Enough with the silent treatment!

: Nick... Why do you trust Mr. Edgeworth so much?
: I mean, he's changed recently, true.
: But when we first met him, he was kind of a jerk, don't ya think?
: ... You didn't know him back then. Back when he wanted to become a defense attorney.
: Wait...
: Was that when you two were classmates?
: Yes. In grade school...

: They saved me... Miles... And Larry. They saved me and I'll never forget it. That's why I became a defense attorney, you know.

: Hey, hey, Larry. What's he talking about?
: Huh? Uh... umm...
: Er, sorry. I kinda forgot.
: Hmph.
: Okay, Nick. Out with it! I'm going to hear this story today, and that's final!
: Okay, okay. It's kind of a long story, so hang in there. ... It was the beginning of Spring, 4th grade. I was on trial. A class trial.
: A c-class trial!?

: You remember, Larry? Spring, 4th grade? A kid in my class got his lunch money stolen.
: Lunch money?
: Our school was really small.

: Huh, I see.
: Anyway, this kid's envelope disappeared. With $38.00 still inside.
: Oh... Yeah, now that you mention it, I do remember that!
: I can see why you'd forget, though. You were out of school that day. Anyway, the envelope had been stolen during PE class. I was coming down with a cold, so I'd skipped PE that day. I was the only one not in class.
: So... they thought you did it?
: Yeah. The kids in class said I should be put on trial.
: Trial...?
: So the next day we held a classroom trial, with me as the defendant.

: "Guilty!"
: "He did it!"
: "Guilty!"
: "It was you!"
: "Thief!"
: "Give me my money back!"
: "You're suach a meanie!"
: "No one play with him!"
: "Just admit you did it!"
: "You can't hide the truth!"
: "Tell us the truth!"
: "We're not gonna play with you any more!"
: "Yeah, and no borrowing my eraser!"
: "He shouldn't be allowed in the relay race!"
: "Or on the library committee!"
: "Gimme back my 50 cents I loaned you!"
: "Hey, did you rob that bank the other day?"

: In the end, even the teacher thought I'd done it.
: "Apologize to the class, Phoenix."

: I was so sad... I couldn't stop crying. Everyone was staring at me like I'd done it... I tried to apologize. I went over to where the boy was sitting... ... That's when it happened.

: "He shouldn't have to apologize! The only thing that belongs in a trial is evidence! Anything else has no place! You should all be ashamed... amateurs!"
: "M-Miles?"

: "No..."
: "Then you shouldn't apologize! Everyone's been shouting you did it, but no one has any proof! That is why, Your Honor, this boy is innocent!"

: "Yeah yeah!"
: "He did it! He's the one!"
: "We don't need proof!"
: "Make him say he's sorry!"

: "Just think how he feels! He said he didn't do it, so he didn't do it!"

: "Very well. I will replace the money myself. This class trial is over."

: After that, the three of us were always friends.

: Yeah... I had no idea, either! I mean, I forgot.
: That's when I learned what it meant to be alone. Totally alone, without a friend in the world.
: You did a good thing, Larry!
: Um, yeah, well... I was just lucky that I took the day off from school. If I'd been there they would have thought I'd done it!
: So I took it kind of personally, see.

: ("When something smells, it's usually the Butz.")

: Anyway, Edgeworth and I talked after that class trial. That's when I heard his father was a defense attorney. I remember, his eyes would shine when he talked about his father.

: "A famous defense attorney!"

: Right. I'm not sure, but the transfer probably had to do with his father's death.
: That's so sad!
: ... It was several years later when I heard Edgeworth's name again. There was an article about him in the newspaper. The headline was something like "Dark Suspicions of a Demon Attorney."

: But why? What happened!? I mean, that's not the Edgey I used to know at all!
: That's what I thought too. I tried to get in touch with him I don't know how many times... He never replied.
: I guess he didn't want to see his old friends...
: I couldn't just drop it, though. I wanted to meet him, to learn why he had become who he became. That's when I decided.

: Wait... You don't mean...? That's why!? That's why you became a defense attorney!? To meet Edgeworth!?
: If I was a defense attorney, I knew he'd have to meet me whether he wanted to or not. In court.
: Edgeworth believed in me, and I believe in him. He's in pain... And no one's on his side. I'm the only one who knows the real Edgeworth. I'm the only one who can help him.
: Whoa... Nick. S-so, is that why you helped me out for free?
: Uh... yes. I helped you because I believed in you. (Except I don't remember saying I'd do it for free...)
: Aww, Nick! Nick!!!
: Nick! We have to save Mr. Edgeworth if it's the last thing we do, okay?
: Right. (It very well may be...)
: First, there's that rental boat shop caretaker.
: We need to find out who or what he is!
: I'd settle for who. (I guess I can clean out some of this evidence I no longer need... ...)

And he does - the Court Record loses about a quarter of the items within it.

: Okay, let's go!

And we're off to check in with Edgeworth.

: You look as grim as always.
: Hmph.
: Um, Mr. Edgeworth? I heard the story about the class trial...
: Class trial? What do you mean?
: You... don't remember?
: No, I don't.
: Your lunch money was stolen, wasn't it? In 4th grade...?
: Lunch money...? ... Oh... Oh, right. Yes, I seem to remember something like that.
: Nick. I think you're the only one who really remembers.
: Well, it probably only really mattered to me anyway.
: Mr. Edgeworth, didn't you know? The trial was the reason Nick became a defense attorney!
: ... Ridiculous!
: (Gee... thanks.)
: That said... It does sound like the kind of thing you'd do.

: You haven't changed a bit, have you, Wright? So... simple. To a fault, even.
: Well, maybe yeah, but... I think you changed too much, Edgeworth.
: ... Perhaps.

: Hey, Edgeworth. Why did you become a prosecutor, anyway? You used to look up to your dad... You said you wanted to be a defense attorney, right?
: ... I couldn't let myself deny reality like you.
: What do you mean?
: My father was taken from me, and you want me to defend criminals?
: I'm sorry, Wright, but I'm not that good of a person!
: One suspect was apprehended in your father's murder, right?
: Yes. The man trapped in the elevator with my father. His name... was Yanni Yogi.
: He had to be the shooter, any way you look at it! Yet... he was found innocent. That defense attorney got him off the hook!

: When we were rescued, we all suffered oxygen deprivation. I had lost all memory of the murder.
: Lost your memory?

: He claimed Yanni Yogi had been "not of sound mind" due to the oxygen deprivation. Yogi was released due to a lack of evidence... innocent.

: I started to hate defense attorneys.

: What's your relationship with von Karma?
: He's my teacher, and a man who deserves respect. I learned everything I know of courtroom techniques from him.
: So, he's like my sister was to you, Nick.
: He is a perfectionist in all things. In court... In his personal life... He is obsessed with doing everything perfectly.
: Perfectly, huh?
: In all the cases he has taken on, none were left unsolved. And not one suspect was declared innocent. Ever.
: But... but that's...
: I know. It's possible some of the suspects were indeed innocent.
: However, it is impossible for us to accurately determine that in every case. All von Karma does is his job, to find the suspect guilty, perfectly.
: In any case... It's nigh well impossible to find a weakness in him. Should a weakness appear, he would do everything in his power to make it go away.
: Um, Edgeworth? If what you're saying is true, you're headed for a guilty sentence tomorrow!

: Now's no time to praise the enemy, Mr. Edgeworth!
: Mmph...
: It's a strange situation in which I find myself, I'll admit.
: (No kidding.)

If we try to show Edgeworth the photo of his dead father from the DL-6 incident...

: N-Nick! No!
: Th-that's a photo of his father! Don't show him that!
: (You're right... Now probably isn't a good time to dredge up those memories...)
: What is it?
: Uh, um, n-nothing.
: Huh?

If we show him Lotta's picture of the gunshot going off...

: Um, uh, no reason.
: ... You know, I was impressed by your deduction in the trial today. Granted, you were at the end of your rope, but still.
: Nick, he noticed.
: Hah hah.

We should probably check in with Gumshoe, too.

: (Hmm... Looks like Detective Gumshoe hasn't gotten back yet.)

: Oh... really?
: He said there was some guy he had to arrest by tomorrow.
: (The boat shop caretaker...)
: He shouted something about "catching him if it's the last thing I do, pal!"
: (Good luck, Gumshoe!)

So, to the lake!

: Oh! Detective Gumshoe!
: Close one today, eh!
: I got so worked up, I snapped my tie in half!
: Uh... Sorry about that.
: No prob, pal! Thanks to you, we now know who really did it!
: You mean, the boat shop caretaker?
: Look, I'll make you a promise. I'll have that scoundrel in my custody by trial time tomorrow! Come what may! It's my duty to you as a police officer!
: Now, I'm off to catch me a criminal!
: Detective Gumshoe sure is... active today.
: Oh, one other thing!
: Eek!
: No one can go into the woods today.
: The woods?
: (Where Lotta was camping?)

: The woods are off-limits to camping, and apparently the park ranger found out. He got pretty mad. No one can go in for a while.
: I guess Lotta's in a 'lotta' trouble...
: Anyway, I'll be seeing you tomorrow!

And he leaves.

: Huh? The Steel Eyesore is missing...
: "Eyesore"!?
: Looks like the hotdog stand is closed, too.
: I guess Larry's been too busy with the trial to show up for work...

Next time: Visiting the boathouse.

Code of Justinian, Book II, pt I, Section 21 (534 CE) (translated) posted:

But if the violence of a river should bear away a portion of your land and unite it to the land of your neighbor, it undoubtedly still continues [to be] yours. If, however, it remains for long united to your neighbor's land, and the trees, which it swept away with it, take root in his ground, these trees from that time become part of your neighbor's estate.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I've played most ace attorney games except the very end of this one, so this really important case I missed. It's nice to see it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

You're in for a treat with some of the insane poo poo that goes on in the last day of this trial, then.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I love all the music in this game but this track always sticks out to me.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Man, those kids are a bunch of jerks.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Well, OK, then; some relationships are coming to light now. Finally the complicated history between Nick and Edgey revealed.

Mors Rattus posted:

: You remember, Larry? Spring, 4th grade? A kid in my class got his lunch money stolen.
: Lunch money?
: Our school was really small.

: Huh, I see.
: Anyway, this kid's envelope disappeared. With $38.00 still inside.

Let me guess: Class Trip money in the original, yes? I suppose it could have been lunch money, but typically, Japanese students at the age Phoenix is supposed to be don't really bring money to school, they bring, well, lunch, generally made by the parents/guardians. (The few schools who do prepare lunches for the kids do it for free, I think, but there's not many of those; was there ever a nationwide free lunch program over there?) Anyhow, if you're wondering what a big deal is made over somebody's lunch money- usually during the school year in a lot of classes, there's a trip typically given for good grades/behavior that gets planned by the class as a whole which every student puts up money for; in high school you have extravagant things like beaches in Okinawa and skiing in Hokkaido, but for this age is probably a waterpark somewhere. This trip is hyped up all year and the money is generally held not by the teacher, but by the class representative, a student voted by other students that serves on the student council. So if that money turns up missing for whatever reason, or a student is suspected of having stole it- yeah, that's a bad time all around, especially if the teacher elects to be a stingy bastard and not reimburse the money. That's typically not done in America; any class trip money would probably be held in the office somewhere.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mraagvpeine posted:

It takes a village.

And when the village produces a justice system like this one....hm

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Mraagvpeine posted:

I dunno. I had an ethics class like this in eighth grade where we did mock trials. Quite a bit of fun and we did learn that blow-up dolls on people's lawn did not constitute free speech.

Granted, I participated in Mock Trial through high school too, so I have a bit more appreciation for Phoenix Wright than I normally would have. I also remember that Nekocon (the local anime convention in Hampton Roads, VA) had a yearly Phoenix Wright mock trial group, called Fueled By Coffee.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
This is all very touching but that account contains a contradiction!

quote:

: Um, yeah, well... I was just lucky that I took the day off from school. If I'd been there they would have thought I'd done it!

quote:

: "Just think how he feels! He said he didn't do it, so he didn't do it!"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

In fairness: the theft happened the day before, when Larry wasn't there. He was present for the trial.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
The fan-musical basically turns the kids of the class trial into demons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHoxFC4j7Oo

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Mraagvpeine posted:

Well yeah, I mean

Kids.

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

I managed to get Mr. Hyde off on all charges in a class trial once. Man, that was a load of fun.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

resurgam40 posted:

Let me guess: Class Trip money in the original, yes? I suppose it could have been lunch money, but typically, Japanese students at the age Phoenix is supposed to be don't really bring money to school, they bring, well, lunch, generally made by the parents/guardians.

Nah, in Japanifornia, parents pay $38.00 for a burger at school.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 1, 2016

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

MegaZeroX posted:

The Japanifornian regime has let inflation go out of control.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MegaZeroX posted:

Hamburgers are made only from the finest and rawest of Japanifornian fish.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Well, they have to import the ingredients for their hamburgers from the distant land of Nippon.

Rice may be plentiful, but pickled plums are hard to find.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

eat your hamburgers apollo

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Wait a second. Phoenix decided to start being a lawyer after Edgeworth was already working for so long that the newspapers started talking about him? Is law school in Japanifornia just a 2 week course?

Maybe it's just really easy to become a defense lawyer. If any slob starts doing that job, even more people might be declared guilty.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 1, 2016

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Air is lava! posted:

Wait a second. Phoenix decided to start being a lawyer after Edgeworth was already working for so long that the newspapers started talking about him? Is law school in Japanifornia just a 2 week course?

Edgeworth was like 18 when he passed the bar.

He did it in Europe. They're more progressive there.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Air is lava! posted:

The way things are handled legal-wise in Japanifornia, Nick might not have been to school at all- just have another defense lawyer to vouch for you, and you too can have a badge!

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
lol if you think becoming a lawyer necessitates doing anything other than passing the bar exam.

(Generally you do want to get an education, first, since passing the bar exam without one can be problematic.)

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Air is lava! posted:

Maybe it's just really easy to become a defense lawyer. If any slob starts doing that job, even more people might be declared guilty.

I can't give details because this comes up again later in the series but Phoenix had time to learn law. Not the length of time it would take in reality, but a lot longer than "weeks" and probably realistic for Japanifornia.

Keltena
Feb 18, 2013

Air is lava! posted:

Wait a second. Phoenix decided to start being a lawyer after Edgeworth was already working for so long that the newspapers started talking about him?

The question of how long Phoenix studied law for aside, I always figured it wouldn't take much to land Edgeworth in the public spotlight: he was the legendary von Karma's protégé, after all, and iirc he was already seen as a prodigy for passing the bar at age 20. Which is pretty hilarious in retrospect.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Plus there's the factor that unlike being a prosecutor, people are reacting about as favorably to Nick saying he's a defense attorney as people in real life would react if you walked up to them and said you're a moderator on somethingawful dot com. Confusion and vague disgust from people who don't understand (most people), a quiet and detached sense of pity from those few who do. "You poor bastard", etc.

You never hear about famous defense attorneys in Japanifornia - Edgeworth's dad is only notable because he's Edgeworth's dad - but prosecutors have entire lineages of famous, influential badasses.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Now we've gotten to it - this game follows the Japanese game tradition of not having the same main character and viewpoint character. This game is not Phoenix's story, it's the story of Edgeworth. It's not until Apollo Justice, with its different viewpoint character, that the story becomes about Phoenix.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

Added Space posted:

Now we've gotten to it - this game follows the Japanese game tradition of not having the same main character and viewpoint character. This game is not Phoenix's story, it's the story of Edgeworth. It's not until Apollo Justice, with its different viewpoint character, that the story becomes about Phoenix.

Note that this isn't always the case; AAI2, after all, is VERY much about Edgeworth.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.

Added Space posted:

How is AA2 not about Phoenix? I can maybe see AA3 being about Mia/Maya, but not AA2. This isn't a perspective on the first three games I've ever heard before, but I'm all ears if you want to expand. Maybe not in the LP thread, though.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Can we table plot discussion of future games? Thanks.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 4 - Turnabout Goodbyes
Investigation (Day 3) - Part 2

: Yep.
: I never imagined he might be the real murderer! ...
: *Ah-HHHHEM!*
: ...! (I'd know that clearing-of-the-throat anywhere!)

: Ah hah, hello! What might you be doing here? Out for a walk, hmm? "Ahh... the days of my youth... like the scent of fresh lemon..." you see.
: Mr. Grossberg!
: This is no time for idle reminiscing! Mr. Edgeworth's trial ends tomorrow!
: Er... that is true, yes.
: But from what I saw of today's trial, Edgeworth should be fine, right?
: Well... I'm not so sure about that.
: Ho ho! What do you mean by that?
: Well... I'm not sure.
: Hmm...
: If you find anything out, come by my office at once. I may be able to offer you some assistance.

He leaves.

: Thanks... (Bye...)
: What do you think Mr. Grossberg was doing here anyway?
: Who knows...

The shack was apparently left unlocked, so we head in.

: Nobody's home.
: "Hello! Hello!" *squawk*
: Hey! It's Polly!
: I wonder where your owner's gone, Polly?
: I can't believe he'd run off and leave his poor parrot to fend for herself!

There was something we couldn't check out yesterday...

: That reminds me, Nick!

: Yeah, that's right.
: Polly, what's the number to the safe?
: "1228"! *squawk*
: Let's open it, Nick! C'mon!
: I'm sure there isn't any money in there.
: Aww...
: But, hey!

: I'm not so sure...
: Okay, Nick, let's see what's in there!
: (I guess there might be a clue or two...) ...

: A letter? Aww... boring!
: (Hmm... There's no name or signature on this thing. It's handwritten in very precise, clear letters...) ... "Get your revenge on Miles Edgeworth..." Edgeworth!

: N-N-Nick! Why would Mr. Edgeworth's name be on here...?
: How should I know!? I'm going to read the whole thing...!

It also says: "This is your last chance! Now is your time to get revenge on the two men who ruined your life!" ...

: (The rest of the letter goes on to describe the murder plot in detail! How to kill Robert Hammond, and frame Edgeworth... ...Calling Edgeworth out to the lake, getting on the boat... firing twice! This is exactly what I figured out today in court! It's all here... in perfect detail!) ...

: I don't know... but it looks like these are instructions for that caretaker.

: But who could have written that letter?
: And... what does it mean, to "get revenge on Miles Edgeworth"...?
: Look, I don't know, okay? But one thing's for certain. This letter is an amazing clue!

Now that we have this letter, maybe we should let Edgeworth know about the conspiracy against him.

Now, we get out the letter.

: Hmm?
: This came out of the safe in the shack where that boat rental caretaker lives.
: I see...
: ...!

: Revenge... on me?
: Who is that old guy, anyway!?
: I... I don't know.
: Could he be an innocent defendant you got declared guilty or something?
: Nice, Wright. But I don't remember that old man. Not at all.
: So, he was following this letter, then?
: Which means there was someone else behind it!

: Two men... meaning myself and Robert Hammond?
: It also says: "This is your last chance!"
: Last chance...? Wait, maybe... Maybe he's talking about the statute of limitations on the DL-6 Incident!
: ... Wait... Wait, that old man...!
: Wh-what is it!? Do you know who he is!?
: Yogi... Could he be Yogi!?
: Yogi?

: The suspect in the DL-6 Incident. The one who was found innocent.

: Yanni Yogi was a court bailiff at the time. We just happened to be in that elevator together 15 years ago.

: We were there for so long, it felt like forever. The air thinned... and the darkness closed in on us in that little box. We became... unsettled.

"Quiet! I said quiet! You're not making this any easier!"
"I want to get out! Help! Get us out!"
"Don't shout! You'll just use up more oxygen!"
"...!"

: When I came to, I was in a hospital bed, staring up at the ceiling.

: They claimed the oxygen deprivation and stress had caused temporary insanity. In the end, the claim passed the ocurt, and Yogi was found innocent.

: Why would he want to take revenge on you?
: ... Wright.
: Yeah?
: There's something that's been troubling me these last few days. I... didn't know whether or not I should tell you.
: You mean the nightmare?

: A memory of a crime... that I committed.
: A crime you committed?
: ...A memory... of a murder.

: I think the time has come to tell all.

: For the last 15 years, I've had the same dream almost every night. I wake up in a fearful sweat, every time.
: What kind of dream?
: It's a dream about my father's killing... in the dark.

"Quiet! I said quiet! You're not making this any easier!"
"I want to get out! Help! Get us out!"
"Don't shout! You'll just use up more oxygen!"
"I... I can't breath! You... you're using up my air!"
"Wh-what!?"
"Stop breathing my air! I'll... I'll stop you!"
"Aaaah! Wh-what!? What are you...!?"
"Stop breathing my aaaaair!"
(No! Father! He's attacking Father!)

: I don't know if it was evidence from that day in court, or the bailiff's... In a daze, I pick up the pistol...

: It's a bone-chilling scream. A scream that has rung in my ears for the past 15 years.
: ... B-but...
: That's just a dream, right? Right?
: ... That thought is the only thing that has kept me sane for the last 15 years. But what if I'm wrong? What if it's real? They say that sometimes people shut out memories in self-defense.
: Maybe it was I who killed my father!
: What!?

: "Get your revenge on Miles Edgeworth."
: Think about it. Yogi was really innocent. That's why he wanted revenge against me!
: Wait, Edgeworth! You... you mean...!
: It was me.
: I was the true criminal of DL-6. I shot my father!
: This is bad...
: What are we going to do, Nick? What can we do!?
: I don't know... I don't think there is anything we can do. Like it or not. If there's someone else who knows a lot about the DL-6 Incident, maybe...
: ...!
: There is, Nick!
: There is someone else who knows about DL-6!

And we'd better go visit him.

: Ah, hello there. What's wrong? You look troubled.
: No kidding! I can't believe you're not!
: M-my my my... Just calm down and tell me what's happened, hmm?
: It's M-Mr. Edgeworth! He... He... *sob*

Fade out and in again as we explain what happened.

: I see... So, Edgeworth dreamt he shot his own father?

: It's o-only a dream! Only a dream!
: ... I wonder...
: W-what...?
: If that's the case, then why do you two look so troubled, hmm?
: W-well...
: Also, consider this. Yogi quite certainly holds a deep grudge against Miles Edgeworth. So deep he'd want to frame him for murder. This leads me to surmise... That Mr. Edgeworth's dream was NOT a dream. It was real. As you imagined.

: the pistol fired... and the deed was done. ...

: I don't believe it!
: Yogi was suspected of murder, and his career as a bailiff was irrevocably wrecked. Thus, he sought revenge on Miles Edgeworth. This was his last chance, of course, with the statute of limitations so close.

: What do you know about Edgeworth's father?
: ... He was a defense attorney without peer. It sounds trite, but it's true. Well, he may have had one peer now that I think about it. Your mentor, Mia Fey.
: My sister...?
: Gregory Edgeworth was very disapproving of Mr. von Karma's techniques.
: (That's no surprise...)
: von Karma is an extreme man. Forged testimonies and evidence are nothing to him. The result: he has a perfect win record in court. To beat him, Gregory Edgeworth tried to call attention to his methods.
: And...?
: He lost. And died in despair, as it were.
: I see...

: When Gregory Edgeworth was killed, the police called on a spirit medium.

"The one who shot me... was the bailiff... Yanni Yogi."

: That's when my mother left us.
: Everyone called her a fraud.
: That's right. Everyone thought she was, you see. Yet... now that I think about it. It seems the one who lied was Gregory Edgeworth's ghost... Gregory Edgeworth must have known who shot him.
: I don't believe it... So you're saying he falsified his "testimony"? That Edgeworth's dad lied to protect his son...?
: It's only a possibility, mind you. But... a possibility nonetheless.

We show Grossberg the caretaker's letter.

: It does seem that Yogi was following this letter... when he killed Hammond.
: But, why kill Robert Hammond?
: Hammond was a skilled defense attorney. But... he defended clients not for their sake, but for his own.
: Huh? His own sake?
: He never trusted his clients, that one. The only thing he trusted was his own ability.
: But, he got his client found innocent. So why should it matter?
: Actually, my dear, it's quite different.
: He won that innocent verdict for no one but himself. Yogi was a free man, but socially, he was ruined.
: (Huh...?)
: You'll understand soon enough.
: ... Wait!
: What is it?

: I've seen this handwriting somewhere before... a long time ago!
: Whose handwriting was this...?

: Miles Edgeworth?
: Wh-wh-whaaat!? Why in heavens would he write something like this!?
: Why, this letter is an attempt to destroy Miles! Think before you speak, greenhorn!
: (Uh oh. He's angry.)
: Think again! Do you have any idea who wrote this?

: Maybe it was Yanni Yogi?
: Yanni Yogi!? You claim he wrote himself this letter... then followed his own instructions?
: Uh... Yeah, I guess that would be what happened.
: Harumph! Perhaps you think Mr. Yogi has a split-personaltiy, hmm?
: I think that's definitely a possibility, yes...
: Hmm... No, I think not. I do not know this Yogi, in any case. There's no way I would recognize his handwriting.
: Oh, right...
: Yes, Wright. I'll ask you again.
: Do you have any idea who wrote this?

: Hmm... could it be Manfred von Karma?
: von Karma? Why would he have something to do with this?
: Um, well, I'm not sure...
: ... Hmm? von Karma... von Karma...
: W-wait! You're right, my boy! This is von Karma's handwriting, I'm sure of it! I used to see it all the time on court reports...

: But... but that means...! Th-the one who told Mr. Yogi to kill was...
: Correct. Manfred von Karma, himself!
: What does this mean, then? Why would von Karma want to frame Edgeworth...?

Next time: Is there more!?

Pactus Legis Salicae XVII (circa 500 CE) (translated) posted:

Concerning Wounds
4. He who hits another man on the head so that his blood falls to the ground, and it is proved against him, shall be liable to pay six hundred denarii.
5. He who strikes another man on the head so that the brain shows, and it is proved against him, shall be liable to pay six hundred denarii.
6. If the three bones that lie over the brain protrude, he shall be liable to pay twelve hundred denarii.
[...]
8. If a freeman strikes another freeman with a stick but the blood does not flow, for up to three blows, he shall be liable to pay three hundred sixty denarii, that is, for each blow he shall always pay one hundred twenty denarii.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 4, 2016

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

I... Well... :stare:

That there is a lot of plot in one update, and Jeeeeesus did things get dark in a hurry. Edgeworth... I haven't really come around on him as some people have promised I would, I still find him needlessly obstructionist and annoying, but... Goddamn, to go through life thinking you'd killed your own father, even by accident!...

This is still the game where we were joking about 38 dollar hamburgers and parrots being hit-men, right? I didn't stick my head in somewhere else on the forums, yes?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The old man left us a clue. The code on the safe was 1228. As most people know, that was the year Conrad of Hohenstaufen was born. He's more commonly known as Conrad IV of Germany.
Now who of those people has a German surname?

It's Grossberg! He's trying to frame poor Karma now.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

I kind of like this scene. It's Grossberg's one chance to be legitimately helpful in this game.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

quote:

4. He who hits another man on the head so that his blood falls to the ground, and it is proved against him, shall be liable to pay six hundred denarii.
5. He who strikes another man on the head so that the brain shows, and it is proved against him, shall be liable to pay six hundred denarii.
I myself wouldn't have considered those crimes equal, but maybe having your brain show was far more common in ancient days than it is now.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Wipfmetz posted:

I myself wouldn't have considered those crimes equal, but maybe having your brain show was far more common in ancient days than it is now.

Well, plenty of people in ancient times practiced trepanation: drilling holes into the skulls of living people. Presumably to let evil spirits out of the heads thus curing them from neurological disorders or something.

NeverAfter
Apr 20, 2016

See, this is the thing that never made sense to me. Every time I go over it my brain just goes :psyduck:

If he was declared innocent due to insanity, why was Mia's mother wrong and thus ostracized? She fingered the right guy, he was just declared insane. That means his defense is basically he admits to doing it, but wasn't in his right mind. So she was right. And yet there's this whole scandal which ruined around ten peoples lives... about what?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The prosecution REALLY hates losing.

Thus, she became a scapegoat.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
You need to take a look back at the second case.

Grossberg had a picture of Misty Fey on his desk that had DL-6 written on it.

The police requested Misty Fey's spirit medium powers to help in their investigation of DL-6. Grossberg helped with this. The police didn't want the public to know that the police used a Spirit Medium. Grossberg told White. White told the media. White decided to hold the dagger over Grossberg. Remember, the statute of limitations isn't over for the case, and it's still considered unsolved. Thus, Misty Fey was declared a fraud.

Remember, Yanni Yogi was declared insane. He couldn't be held responsible for murder. If the case was solved, there would be no issue with the statute of limitations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

IAmTheRad posted:

You need to take a look back at the second case.

Grossberg had a picture of Misty Fey on his desk that had DL-6 written on it.

The police requested Misty Fey's spirit medium powers to help in their investigation of DL-6. Grossberg helped with this. The police didn't want the public to know that the police used a Spirit Medium. Grossberg told White. White told the media. White decided to hold the dagger over Grossberg. Remember, the statute of limitations isn't over for the case, and it's still considered unsolved. Thus, Misty Fey was declared a fraud.

Remember, Yanni Yogi was declared insane. He couldn't be held responsible for murder. If the case was solved, there would be no issue with the statute of limitations.

Right, but Yanni Yogi still shot the victim, which is exactly what Misty Fey said. "Too crazy to call it murder" doesn't mean that the spirit medium was somehow wrong.

Or are spirits in japanifornia expected to be able to judge the exact mental state of the person who killed them?

• Locked thread