Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
remember the pizza hut summer book reading poo poo. i sort of do.

but this isn't the nostalgia thread so let us simply lament the fact that dominoes is blowing them the gently caress out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

dreezy posted:

remember the pizza hut summer book reading poo poo. i sort of do.

but this isn't the nostalgia thread so let us simply lament the fact that dominoes is blowing them the gently caress out.

Book It! man. I used to pound down a ton of personal pan pizzas growing up from that poo poo.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
This thread rules because goons have fallen into the trap of giving a poo poo about anything.

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

But kids begged and begged for Pizza Hut.

I very distinctly remember commercials for the dine-in Pizza Hut being on VHS tapes of kid's movies when I was young. On Land Before Time there was one where a kid's mom/grandmother was preparing him for a birthday party there and she would tell him something (like "always share") and it would cut to him doing a humorous version of that thing (like two kids fighting for a pizza and having the cheese stretch out) and there was another one on some other movie where a kid is screwing around during a baseball game while a song about playing in right field where the dandelions grow and then they win and go to Pizza Hut.

The reason I recall these is because my brother and I were crazy for dinosaurs, and every time I think of Pizza Hut, I think of collecting the Land Before Time puppets and my parents having to get two Sharptooths because there was no way my brother and I were going to share this bad motherfucker:

I guess they had pizza or something there, too.

edit: Land Before Time commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4065smJLXk

and the other movie I was thinking about was apparently the original Ninja Turtles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA6Zsxicrc8

PallasAthene has a new favorite as of 05:09 on Aug 30, 2016

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Jesus Christ posted:

When I was a kid it was Mr. Gatti's Pizza. They were all over the place and at one point there was a Gatti Town which had a huge arcade and accommodations to host birthday parties and school events and poo poo. Then sometime in the late-90s or so Papa John's rolled in and that was the new hot poo poo pizza and the Gatti's locations started closing or being replaced with Papa John's and Dominoes and Pizza Hut and such.

I haven't seen one in years but according to google maps there are still ~10 locations around Austin, though they're all out in the suburbs so I guess they're not circling the drain but they definitely are not as big as they once were.

And holy poo poo their pizza was awful, but at the time we didn't know any better.

The Gatti's in my hometown just closed this year. Loved that place

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

PallasAthene posted:

edit: Land Before Time commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4065smJLXk

and the other movie I was thinking about was apparently the original Ninja Turtles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA6Zsxicrc8

Even when I was a kid with the same The Land Before Time VHS, I knew the song in the Pizza Hut commercial was just a rip-off of "Everybody Have Fun Tonight" by Wang Chung.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoXu6QmxpJE

But drat, makes me want to whip out a VCR and CRT TV and watch both movies on VHS again.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

Same here. Just thinking about the sit-down Pizza Hut locations with the jukeboxes and the salad bars brings back memories, plus I dare say the pizza was actually decent back then (early to mid 90s).
My childhood home was a block away from a nice mid-sized Pizza Hut dine-in shop. It closed up a while ago and moved a block east, into the space formerly occupied by the local VHS rental shop. Such is the life cycle of the obsolete stores.

Why the gently caress is Best Buy still a thing. Jesus Christ just go the way of The Good Guys and Circuit City so we can laugh at the 90s weekend circulars already.

Adding one: Malls.
The Big Mall in Los Angeles used to be either the Glendale Galleria or the Beverly Center. Both had their poo poo pushed in by Caruso's open air faux Italian destination shopping experience (The Grove and The Americana), because we live in loving Los Angeles and we don't need a roof over us as we walk around shops. The idea of a big box mall is just kind of sad and depressing now and is either stuffed with disposable stores that come and go or riche as gently caress poo poo that just taunts le poors.

FilthyImp has a new favorite as of 07:16 on Aug 30, 2016

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

FilthyImp posted:

My childhood home was a block away from a nice mid-sized Pizza Hut dine-in shop. It closed up a while ago and moved a block east, into the space formerly occupied by the local VHS rental shop. Such is the life cycle of the obsolete stores.

Why the gently caress is Best Buy still a thing. Jesus Christ just go the way of The Good Guys and Circuit City so we can laugh at the 90s weekend circulars already.

Adding one: Malls.
The Big Mall in Los Angeles used to be either the Glendale Galleria or the Beverly Center. Both had their poo poo pushed in by Caruso's open air faux Italian destination shopping experience (The Grove and The Americana), because we live in loving Los Angeles and we don't need a roof over us as we walk around shops. The idea of a big box mall is just kind of sad and depressing now and is either stuffed with disposable stores that come and go or riche as gently caress poo poo that just taunts le poors.

We can already do that

I like to think the second image is why people still think their 500 pound CRT TVs are worth hundreds of dollars.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:
The Pizza Hut thing is so weird; there are several of them here in the 'burbs but they're all take-out only (and also just generally awful). Conversely, and loving bizarrely, several of the take-out-only Dominos in the area have taken over the plethora of empty retail spaces in their respective strip malls, and put in full-blown dining areas.

It also feels like Pizza Hut is just continuously desperate for attention 'cos I swear every few weeks they have some new gimmick pizza-based consumable product that then vanishes just as quickly.

Am I misremembering or was there are time that Little Caesar's had dining rooms? I'm amazed they still exist but they seem to have almost died and been resurrected somehow.

I'll be more than happy to see Whole Foods just loving die already. There's a local, similar chain here doing the whole 'organic' thing to the hilt that was involved in some legal action against them. From what I can gather, WF acquired some other similar company, there were accusations this created a monopoly, and WF tried to subpoena the local chain for their most private business and sales records, pricing, strategic plans, etc. I'm not even sure what came of the whole thing, but there was a lot of unspoken implication that the data could/would be used by WF to drop prices and attempt to undercut/buy out the local chain. But that's all speculation.

Also they're trying to force gentrification of my old neighborhood, farting out a gigantic Whole Foods in a large plaza and forcing out 'undesirable' businesses like a veterinarian and a senior housing assistance business in favor of an 'organic pet food' store, a 'natural, organic' cosmetics and supplements store, and one of those weird pizza chains where they charge you like ten bux for a tiny pie they cook in like 90 seconds. Between that and the recent fuckery between Safeway/Albertsons/Haagan, the people in that neighborhood have to travel 5+ miles just to reach an affordable supermarket.

The supermarket business itself seems kinda hosed too; there used to be a big conglomerate of stores in upstate New York under the banner of P&C Foods, and that's completely gone now.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
How are the big watch companies (TAG, Movado, etc.) doing? I'm sure there are still people who think you need an expensive watch to be a baller, but for the midrange everyone else is poor as gently caress and it's not really necessary with cell phone and fitness bracelets. Or are people so used to wearing their G-Shocks or whatever that they keep buying them?

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Little Caesars was good in the early 90s and they had good square za and they had booths at the front of every Kmart so being dragged shopping was alright

Then they disappeared for 15 years and came back as the hot n ready company

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Segmentation Fox posted:

I'll be more than happy to see Whole Foods just loving die already.

Wholefoods in the UK use the 'workfare' scheme, a government initiative that forces unemployed people are forced to work without pay for a few months in order to help them find work.

You read that right.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Little Caesars was good in the early 90s and they had good square za and they had booths at the front of every Kmart so being dragged shopping was alright

That was my experience with them actually. We lived in a pretty small town and they had a nice setup in the early 1990s and had the best pizza in the area because the town only had a pizza hut and the pizzas there were extra garbage / made terribly. Zero independent places to get pizza for 30+ miles in any direction. I think it closed in like 1996 or 1998 or something.

When I was visiting it was a huge deal that they re-opened in a strip mall and were serving cardboard $5 garbage pizza that made everyone either queasy or outright sick with sub-school pizza quality pizza. The place has lines out the door every Friday and I can't talk my parents out of going there because it's cheap. "You get two large pizzas for $10!!! Papa Johns wants like $15 for One!"

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

haha yeah this is exactly how I remember Pizza Hut. The thought of my dad sat there looking over a menu to decide which personal pan pizza he wanted while asking the waitress at Pizza Hut what types of beer they have is making me laugh a little, just because of how different of a place it is now. It was like going out to a regular restaurant where you debated over how much to tip and if anyone wanted dessert while using a toothpick. Now it's like a "ORDER YOUR poo poo AND GET THE gently caress OUTTA HERE!" type of place. Supposedly they made the decision to shy away from restaurant-style locations and to focus more on being a delivery place. Considering they are doing worse and worse ever year, it obviously wasn't the best decision.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Quote-Unquote posted:

Wholefoods in the UK use the 'workfare' scheme, a government initiative that forces unemployed people are forced to work without pay for a few months in order to help them find work.

You read that right.

No you see they get work which is always better than not doing work. Btw i'm a 70 yo guy pushing carts for 3€/h in germany

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

CubanMissile posted:

How are the big watch companies (TAG, Movado, etc.) doing? I'm sure there are still people who think you need an expensive watch to be a baller, but for the midrange everyone else is poor as gently caress and it's not really necessary with cell phone and fitness bracelets. Or are people so used to wearing their G-Shocks or whatever that they keep buying them?

Outside of the States, watches are still very common to wear and used for both practical uses and as a status symbol. Most of these brands advertise in the luxury market (F1, high-end cars, travel, etc.) and still seem to be rather healthy. Even in the States, watches are far more appropriate than pulling out a cell phone in most business situations. You're not going to be taking out your phone to check the time during a meeting, and if you're the one holding a meeting you have to be able to check the time instantly and discreetly.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

unpacked robinhood posted:

No you see they get work which is always better than not doing work. Btw i'm a 70 yo guy pushing carts for 3€/h in germany

lol

I think it's great that Whole foods can fire their staff and then get them back without having to pay for them, and this is considered an effective way of reducing unemployment.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Frozen Yogurt places. 4 years ago we had 4 in my college town, 4! Now they are down to two and they are both empty. Most people interested in frozen yogurt (high schoolers and young women) will just go to Starbucks for a frappuccino as its way trendier to Instagram with Starbucks than it is with frozen yogurt.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Is that Edie McClurg? Or did every overweight woman in the 80's look like that?

There are a few sit down Pizza Hut's in crappy small towns in the Midwest. The kind of places where you get dressed up to go there or Village Inn. The former sit-down hut in my hood is now a Chipotle.

Speaking of drain circling, I think Village Inn is on that list too. Even with the weird hipster updates to the stores (think baby blue walls, multi-colored plates on the walls, calling themselves VI), nobody goes there. For good reason...the service sucks and the food is almost as bad.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

CubanMissile posted:

Keep in mind, watches (and luxury goods in general) are ridiculously high-margin items. An $8000 Rolex will cost less than $500 in materials, and even a gold Rolex for $40,000 will contain less than $8000 of actual gold.

All the big names are pretty much gathered up in two giant corporations: The Swatch group and Louis Vuittons mothership. That way, they have no infrastructure cost for HR, IT, headquarters etc, and can focus on branding and marketing.

"Swiss made" means something like 51% of the cost value of the watch must come from Switzerland, so they can outsource manufacturing to elsewhere, while having a little hut with their logo on and a single digit of actual watchmakers doing custom projects for high-profile clients actually in Switzerland.

Fashion watches such as Michael Kors, Diesel, Armani or watches by any clothing or car brand are manufactured in America by Fossil, which makes decent but boring watches.

Rolex is independent, but they are technically a charity(!), so they don't pay taxes. Microbrands come and go on Kickstarter and watch forums. Brands like Richard Mille or MB&F sell watches that cost $5,000,000 but of course doesn't cost that to make, so they only need to sell to a few Russian billionaires each year.

Basically, the luxury watch market is better now than it ever has been. The digital prophets keep saying over and over again how the Apple watch will kill off Rolex, Omega etc, but that just shows that they do not understand the market. It's the same reason that a 5 cent Walmart plastic bag hasn't killed off the Louis Vuitton handbag. I wear a watch every day, but when I want to see what time it is, I check my phone.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

vyst posted:

Book It! man. I used to pound down a ton of personal pan pizzas growing up from that poo poo.

"read your heart out"

Have to give it to Pizza Hut, it was upfront about the consequences of spending a lot of time reading and eating its pizza.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Was Pizza Hut all you can eat at their restaurants in America?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Was Pizza Hut all you can eat at their restaurants in America?

They used to have buffets in the 90s that were all you could eat.

That was kinda before they turned into the Dominos / Papa Johns model of having no seating and are just a giant oven tasked with making GBS threads out garbage pizza in the greatest amount. I'm sure some places still do it but I haven't seen one in like 15 years.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Fat Shat Sings posted:

They used to have buffets in the 90s that were all you could eat.

The one's out here still do on weekdays and sundays. The guy who owns the one's out here is a client of mine at work and a personal friend of my older brother's, his entire business model has been turning his places in to either sports-bars with the Pizza Hut logo or in to Olive Garden like places with more lunch oriented plates. His locations supposedly do more "Inside" business than any others West of the Mississippi and they're all in locations with less than 80k people. All while still doing pretty good delivery/carryout business. In fact the dude just bought a few Culver's franchises and has been opening those up in the same areas to pretty good effect.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ein cooler Typ posted:

No poo poo, the one here in Starke, FL, closed down for like a decade, then reopened like nothing had happened. Same loving storefront and everything. Damndest thing.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

CubanMissile posted:

Expensive watches are also categorized as jewelry at most stores. No one uses a Rolex to tell time, they say themselves that they can gain almost a minute and a half every 2 weeks. But they are made from precious metals, look pretty, and are worn where everyone can see them.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I can remember Pizza Hut being being a big deal in my family because we never really had delivery in my area until later in the 80s. Pizza Hut also had table top PacMan or Space Invaders to play while you wanted for your order.

We had Mr. Gatties in my town (Louisville) and the most popular location had a room with a projection TV and played old Looney Toons cartoons. Even in high school we would eat there just to be in that room. Sometime in the 90s they opened a bigger place that had video games and a AYCE buffet. Most of the other stores also offered lunch buffets around this time.

Pizza Hut started having trouble once Papa John's became popular. So much so that they completely changed their ingredients in an attempt to gain some business back.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah the high end watch market is actually if anything healthier since it's such an incredibly clear status symbol for men who otherwise can't wear jewelry to wear a thing that only does poorly what a device you may have two of on your person does perfectly as an afterthought. The low end market I hear though has cratered, for the same reasons.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pizza Hut buffets had "dessert pizzas" that were just pizzas made with butter sauce and cinnamon. Delicious.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Bonzo posted:

I can remember Pizza Hut being being a big deal in my family because we never really had delivery in my area until later in the 80s. Pizza Hut also had table top PacMan or Space Invaders to play while you wanted for your order.

We had Mr. Gatties in my town (Louisville) and the most popular location had a room with a projection TV and played old Looney Toons cartoons. Even in high school we would eat there just to be in that room. Sometime in the 90s they opened a bigger place that had video games and a AYCE buffet. Most of the other stores also offered lunch buffets around this time.

Pizza Hut started having trouble once Papa John's became popular. So much so that they completely changed their ingredients in an attempt to gain some business back.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiitt. Nostalgia bomb. There was a place like this in my old town. HUGE rear end projection screen and a HUGE rear end arcade in the back. I think there was a buffet too.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Pizza Hut ruled in the 80s and early 90s but in like 97 or something they changed something in their pizza and it went from being greasy good pizza to greasy terrible pizza that gave a ton of people the shits.

I bet they changed an ingredient because it was 1.5% cheaper per pie and that change killed their entire business.

EDIT: also the place has no TVs for sportsball and poo poo who the gently caress wants to go out for pizza and the only thing to do is eat pizza that's now bad and watch other people eat bad pizza.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

McPhearson posted:

Expensive watches are also categorized as jewelry at most stores. No one uses a Rolex to tell time, they say themselves that they can gain almost a minute and a half every 2 weeks. But they are made from precious metals, look pretty, and are worn where everyone can see them.

Original_Z posted:

Outside of the States, watches are still very common to wear and used for both practical uses and as a status symbol. Most of these brands advertise in the luxury market (F1, high-end cars, travel, etc.) and still seem to be rather healthy. Even in the States, watches are far more appropriate than pulling out a cell phone in most business situations. You're not going to be taking out your phone to check the time during a meeting, and if you're the one holding a meeting you have to be able to check the time instantly and discreetly.

This second quote is true. Sure I want to look good too, but I guess that's dumb.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

EvilJoven posted:

Pizza Hut ruled in the 80s and early 90s but in like 97 or something they changed something in their pizza and it went from being greasy good pizza to greasy terrible pizza that gave a ton of people the shits.

I briefly managed a Sbarro pizza place in a mall in like, 1995 or something. One of the things I learned is the the pizza industry it highly competitive and the price of cheese can make a break a chain. Good cheese costs money so chains would switch of cheaper cheeses with a different moisture content to cut costs. Just like any other cheap food, the cheese is going to be mostly fillers and artificial ingredients.

Like I said before, I grew up in Louisville so I've had my fair share of Papa Johns over the years. At some point they started using cheaper cheese because almost everyone I know has trucker shits hours after eating it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I know a guy who used to work at cicis seven or eight years ago. Everything he said made the place seem really shady. A lot of the employees were paid under the table, and the manager had him mowing his lawn and poo poo. The manager was also into peddling self help books.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Quote-Unquote posted:

You read that right.

dude what is wrong with the UK

Original_Z posted:

Even in the States, watches are far more appropriate than pulling out a cell phone in most business situations. You're not going to be taking out your phone to check the time during a meeting, and if you're the one holding a meeting you have to be able to check the time instantly and discreetly.

yeah but gently caress the corporate world

evobatman posted:

Keep in mind, watches (and luxury goods in general) are ridiculously high-margin items. An $8000 Rolex will cost less than $500 in materials, and even a gold Rolex for $40,000 will contain less than $8000 of actual gold.

i just refuse to be had this badly idc how much money I have that's just a ripoff

Moridin920 has a new favorite as of 16:41 on Aug 30, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
e: oops

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Pizza? Buffets? Motherfucking Godfather's Pizza, bitches! Most of them I know of are gone, but some still exist. Hands down the best dessert pizza anywhere.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

Pope Mobile posted:

Pizza? Buffets? Motherfucking Godfather's Pizza, bitches! Most of them I know of are gone, but some still exist. Hands down the best dessert pizza anywhere.

I feel like Godfathers and Round Table are in direct competition for the most "holy poo poo they still exist?" reactions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It think Round Table is doing better. I've actually seen new locations in strip malls. The last Godfather's I saw still had the same booths from 20 years ago and an old, rear projection TV in the corner. Lots of fake plants, too.