Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Presented to the President and Cabinet for further comment.

Henry Smith!

The Texan Currency Act of 1836 posted:

Whereas, a unified and official currency will have innumerable economic benefits.
Whereas, the Constitution of Texas limits official currency to gold or silver backing.

Let it so be resolved,

1. The Republic of Texas will immediately begin printing an official currency, tentatively known as the Texan Dollar.
2. The Texan Dollar will be silver backed, with an exact exchange rate to be determined.
3. The Texan Dollar will be exclusively printed under the purview of the Department of the Treasury.

(Gotta tie it to either silver or gold constitutionally, though I'm certainly willing to go full fiat should we choose.)

Infrastructure Demands Enhancements Act of 1836 posted:

Whereas, [insert boilerplate about how good infrastructure is].

Let it be so resolved,

1. The port of Galveston is to be expanded and developed to increase it's attractiveness as a trading destination.
2. Surveying for the construction of a land transportation route should be carried out along the "Railroad" line marked in Exhibit A. *Note: Not building an actual railroad*Land infrastructure shall be improved as possible.
3. The above activities are to be delegated to the newly created Improvements Agency, working under the auspices and authority of the Treasury Department.

Lowering Inordinate Taxes Enhances Revenue Act of 1836 posted:

Whereas, free trade and free enterprise are the engines of a modern economy.

Let it so be resolved,

1. Tariffs on agricultural exports are to be lowered for a period of 2 years, encouraging foreign consumers to buy Texan.
2. Taxes on the purchase of land are to be lowered for a period of 2 years, encouraging new settlers and capital to flock to Texas.

LITER Act could also included subsidies for a nascent textile industry, but that could be putting the cart before the horse.

Exhibit A:

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

President Samuel "Sam" Houston

Mr Smith, I thank you for the detailed legislation.

I must admit I am dubious about the utility of railroads in Texas, however. As I understand it, they are mostly used for moving goods from inland mines and farms to ports for export by sea, which would make them less useful for lateral connexions between settlements with existing sea ports.

I also disapprove of a reduction in taxes on the sale of land, as citizens are already guaranteed a land claim by the constitution, hence this would merely assist speculators in grabbing land which is not put to use but sold on for a profit. We also need hard currency for army expansions in the future.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Enjoy posted:

Mr Smith, I thank you for the detailed legislation.

I must admit I am dubious about the utility of railroads in Texas, however. As I understand it, they are mostly used for moving goods from inland mines and farms to ports for export by sea, which would make them less useful for lateral connexions between settlements with existing sea ports.

I also disapprove of a reduction in taxes on the sale of land, as citizens are already guaranteed a land claim by the constitution, hence this would merely assist speculators in grabbing land which is not put to use but sold on for a profit. We also need hard currency for army expansions in the future.

Mr. President, in my haste to get proposals out for debate, I may have missed some finer points.

1. I fully agree - an actual railroad would be premature and largely unnecessary at this point. However, I stand by the utility of a land route connecting our major settlements along the coast, enabling safe and speedy transit for scenarios where sea travel is not an option. Should we choose to extend a branch inland, it would certainly help goods flow to the coast, and, say, military response teams to travel swiftly to the site of any Commanche incursion. Edit: Whether connecting our internal settlements or the major ones along the coast, at the least I hope you'll agree that improving transportation will have untold future benefits.

2. I concede the points (and frankly had forgotten about the guaranteed land claim in the Constitution, which as you noted largely obsoletes the proviso. As such, I'm striking it - I still believe some sort of incentive for immigration would be greatly beneficial, but everything I can immediately think of would require financial reserves we do not yet have.

In closing, I must heartily concur with your notions regarding military expansion - for now I plan to focus on attempting to pay out salaries as best we are able - without that foundation, everything else will surely crumble away.

Edit: A brief suggestion, something to be worked upon with the Secretary of State, perhaps?

Bringing Over Sufficient Settlers Act posted:

Whereas, a burgeoning population in turn drives economic advancement
Whereas, land left untilled represents prosperity left unreaped
Whereas, the Republic of Texas has a vested interest in maintaining proper values among any prospective immigrants

Let it be so resolved:
1. A new Land Claims Agency is to be established under the purview and authority of the Treasury Department.
2. This agency will be primarily responsible for the bureaucratic efforts regarding the dispersal and registration of land claims.
3. This agency will also be responsible for promoting the opportunities of Texas internationally.

If we can't lower prices on free land, perhaps spreading the message even wider will reap results.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 29, 2016

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Signing up as John Joel Glanton

:getin:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Buffalo Hump

I am Potsanaquahip of the People, and this message is for the one called Houston.

Houston, you have won many battles against the Mexicans and gotten your freedom. I congratulate you, for all men should be free to rule themselves.

Houston, I come with a message from the People to the people of Texas. Our land is our land, and no one must come on it without the permission of the People. If you recognize this, and do not let your citizens come on the land of the People without our permission, then I, Potsanaquahip, will be a friend of Texas, and will tell all the other chiefs of the People and the other nations who are friends with the People, and they will be your friends toi. We will not raid your lands, we will not take your women to be our wives and your children to be our warriors. We will allow your people to trade with us, for we have many buffalo hides to trade, and more than that, our horses are the best in the world. You will be our friend, and we will receive your counsel as the counsel of a friend, and you will have nothing to fear from us.

But if you do not respect our borders; if you send people to us without our permission to live on our land, we will not be your friends. We will take their woman as our wives and their children as our warriors. The wrath of the People will be raised against you, and you will know only fear. We are the People, and we cannot be defeated.

Hear my words, Houston. Choose friendship, and together, no one will defeat us.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 29, 2016

Stalingrad
Feb 5, 2011

Takanago posted:

Vice-President, Mirabeau B. Lamar

Oh yes, I should probably speak up about that whole Indian thing that Houston's been talking about. Mr. President, are you mad?! To recognize them as sovereign nations? You wish for us to cede our own Texan land to them? And make peace with violent savages?! I can say, I would absolutely not stand for such a misguided, crazy idea as a "federation". If you try to push that through congress, I shall scream and yell as loudly and as longly as I possibly can.

I do concur that Mr. Carbajal's plea is not the matter of congress.

I also do concur that funding and improving the army and the Texas Rangers is of the utmost importance. Was somebody planning on writing a bill for that, or should I? I also do understand the need for infrastructure.

In regards to the frontier, I believe that it may be worth looking at an alternate means to keep our ranchers safe when need be. As is well-understood in the constitution of Texas, well-regulated militias are an important tool for protecting the people. And we all understand that the frontier is a place which very much needs to be protected. Now, we all know that your average Texan and especially your average frontiersman is very likely to be armed. So, why don't we encourage the formation of a frontier militia? To supplement the protection that we already have.

The Bowl

I must remind the honourable sir that the President is himself a member of my tribe, do you believe the President to be a violent savage?

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

James Pinckney Henderson

The Indian is lacking in the more noble properties of the white race, Mr. President- that is, he is crucially missing the faculties common to the European and the Anglo. If your intent is to reorganize the territory of the Indian into homesteads- perhaps more appropriately, and more unofficially, corrals to better contain their savagery- recognition of these terms the Comanche people have presented us with seems to be in order. These terms can be worn away to fit more appropriately our own agenda with the aid of that grand sculptor, Time, and we've little to lose in the process.

On the President's instruction, I am amenable to the negotiation of a lasting agreement with the German settlers seeking in our country the safe harbor and refuge that has for centuries been denied to them. Access to the manufacturies and industry on the European continent is crucial to the growth of our own virgin nation, lacking as we do the machinery and equipment common to our ancestral people across the Atlantic. If you are able to arrange these negotiations, Mr. Solms-Braunfels, that would speak well of your candor & character.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Stalingrad posted:

The Bowl

I must remind the honourable sir that the President is himself a member of my tribe, do you believe the President to be a violent savage?

Right before you said this, a prominent Indian chieftain just threatened to kidnap our wives and children. I think that is all that needs to be said.

Stalingrad
Feb 5, 2011

Takanago posted:

Right before you said this, a prominent Indian chieftain just threatened to kidnap our wives and children. I think that is all that needs to be said.

The Bowl

Those are the words of the Comanche, I am a Cherokee, the President is a Cherokee through marriage, and our ways are peaceful, to assume the words of Buffalo Hump, a Commanche, speak for all Indians across this continent displays your sheer ignorance.
An ignorance I would not extend to the white man in general.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Viral Warfare posted:

James Pinckney Henderson

The Indian is lacking in the more noble properties of the white race, Mr. President- that is, he is crucially missing the faculties common to the European and the Anglo. If your intent is to reorganize the territory of the Indian into homesteads- perhaps more appropriately, and more unofficially, corrals to better contain their savagery- recognition of these terms the Comanche people have presented us with seems to be in order. These terms can be worn away to fit more appropriately our own agenda with the aid of that grand sculptor, Time, and we've little to lose in the process.

The Mexicans are a greater threat than the Indians. We should therefore bring the Indians up to our level of civilisation, to pacify a potential enemy and create an ally with the same stroke.

The attempt must be made, for the sake of the continued existence of the Republic.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

John Joel Glanton

Gentlemen, if it's the Mexicans you're worried about, why not start up a bounty for them? Surely you gentlemen remember what happened at the Alamo. Don't think that your fancy army is going to live through another, do you? Perhaps with enough persuasion, they could be convinced to keep their filthy boots off our soil. And I think I know a couple fellas who wouldn't mind making a little gold in the process.

The Rangers are as fine a force as rides on four legs. I should know, having been a Captain in their regiment myself. One riot, one ranger, as we say. Perhaps once Andy Jackson is finished catching bullets in the White House, we can invite him out west and show him how it's really done. But they ain't going to stand for telling a man how to use his land, I can tell you that.

However, all this talk of councils and committees and designated ranching areas... Hell, we just threw off one government what said it was going to tell us what to do. I didn't watch my brothers die face down at Goliad to see the likes of you try and do the same drat thing as Santa Anna. We don't want no drat dictator, and we sure as hell won't support one. If any of you Gentlemen think our people are going to be bullied into that, well, we'll see who's riding with me when your funny paper turns back into toilet tissue.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Samuel Seward

The Cotton Interests in eastern Texas strongly favor The Lowering Inordinate Taxes Enhances Revenue Act of 1836. Legislators who vote for this legislation will be remembered during re-election time.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Henry Smith!

To the cabinet, an alternate proposal for infrastructure:

Constructing new roads along the red lines delineated would serve 3 purposes:

1. Allow farmers and ranchers in the interior a swifter means to get their products to market
2. Allow the Armed Forces of the Republic to swiftly respond to threats along the unsettled Western Border
3. Should we be seeking further trade relations to any peoples to our West, communication will flow all the smoother for it.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

José María Jesús Carbajal

I must express my disappointment at the apparent reluctance of many of the republic's most prominent men to have Congress rectify the injustice committed against my family. To say that such things are not a matter for Congress is simply incorrect, but I expect that some men are beyond convincing on this matter.

On another note, I must express my disgust at Mr. Glanton's suggestion of a "bounty" on Mexicans. What does he even mean by such a thing? Then again, I suppose we cannot expect logic from a 17-year-old outlaw who claims to have been a captain in the Texas Rangers.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Toph Bei Fong posted:

John Joel Glanton

Gentlemen, if it's the Mexicans you're worried about, why not start up a bounty for them? Surely you gentlemen remember what happened at the Alamo. Don't think that your fancy army is going to live through another, do you? Perhaps with enough persuasion, they could be convinced to keep their filthy boots off our soil. And I think I know a couple fellas who wouldn't mind making a little gold in the process.

The Rangers are as fine a force as rides on four legs. I should know, having been a Captain in their regiment myself. One riot, one ranger, as we say. Perhaps once Andy Jackson is finished catching bullets in the White House, we can invite him out west and show him how it's really done. But they ain't going to stand for telling a man how to use his land, I can tell you that.

However, all this talk of councils and committees and designated ranching areas... Hell, we just threw off one government what said it was going to tell us what to do. I didn't watch my brothers die face down at Goliad to see the likes of you try and do the same drat thing as Santa Anna. We don't want no drat dictator, and we sure as hell won't support one. If any of you Gentlemen think our people are going to be bullied into that, well, we'll see who's riding with me when your funny paper turns back into toilet tissue.

Juan Nepomuceno Seguín

How did this bloviating fool even get into these august halls? The idea of a "bounty" on Mexicans is absurd. Every idiot with a gun will run around shooting the good Tejano citizens of our fair Republic in the mistaken belief that any man with a slight tan works for Santa Anna! Is he not also an outlaw, dedicated to feasting off the Republic? This man clearly seeks only too sow anarchy and chaos.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

General Seguín, I think it would please the gentlemen of the legislature if you performed regular sweeps of areas known to be inhabited by bandits, and apprehended or incapacitated suspected thieves, murderers and smugglers.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Enjoy posted:

General Seguín, I think it would please the gentlemen of the legislature if you performed regular sweeps of areas known to be inhabited by bandits, and apprehended or incapacitated suspected thieves, murderers and smugglers.

Juan Nepomuceno Seguín

Of course Sir, it would be my great pleasure to root out any and all foes to the Republic.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

General George W. Hockley

I propose the following bill.

The Military Finance Bill 1836 posted:

1. It is hereby proposed that that part of the budget currently earmarked for military expenditure be increased in the interests of training our fledgling military force into an army that can meet the needs of protecting and promoting our nation.
2. And that part of this budget be used be used to organise a committee to better understand and outline our current capabilities and how they might face the greatest threats to our independence as well as potential contingencies for pre-emptive action.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Just note that if you want to propose a bill it has to be one of your actions per bill and sent in your turn.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
((Ah, I thought that we propose them then the government characters had to use the action to pass them.))

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

As I understand it, these are the items that under consideration that will be written up as laws and voted on:

Agenda of the Congress of the Republic of Texas, Late 1836

Issue:
-A lack of a unified currency
Proposals:
-Issue an official currency immediately, under the authority of the Republic. Exact exchange rates would be to be determined, with an eye towards maximizing Texan economic competitiveness.

Issue:
-Poor infrastructure
Proposals:
-Create an Improvements Agency under the authority of the Treasury
-Fund expansion of port facilities in major settlements
-Fund construction of road and bridge connexions between settlements, farms and military fortifications

Issue:
-Weak economy
Proposals:
-Lower export tariffs on agricultural goods for 2 years

Issue:
-A lack of settlers to develop the land
Proposals:
-Issue stipends of Texan currency to any immigrant willing to settle within our borders
-Grant land to German settlers
-Create a Land Agency under the authority of the Treasury, place Texan Rangers under the authority of the Land Agency
-Care should be taken so that no settler should be able to take the land of any current Citizen of the Republic, Tejano, Anglo or otherwise

Issue:
-Interpretation of the 8th right declared in the constitution
Proposals:
-Appoint Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels to head the land agency and allow the Supreme Court to adjudicate whether office holders are barred from holding existing titles of nobility

Issue:
-The lack of funding for our military and police forces
Proposals:
-Publicly fund the Texas Rangers
-Work a deal with German states to get access to quality arms or armament materials

Issue:
-Ambiguous relationship with the Indian tribes
Proposals:
-Formally recognise the autonomous sovereignty of tribes which agree to give up nomadism

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 30, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Enjoy posted:

Issue:
-Interpretation of the 8th right declared in the constitution
Proposals:
-Appoint Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels to head the land agency and allow the Supreme Court to adjudicate whether office holders are barred from holding existing titles of nobility

Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels

I would kindly ask all parties voting on the President's list of proposals to remember that, while I would serve Texas willingly and with gusto should I be called upon to do so, the position of head of the land agency is not something that I sought out myself.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Apocron posted:

General George W. Hockley

I propose the following bill.

Henry Smith!

I certainly do share your goals with regards to strengthening the military, but I fear this bill is yet premature given our unstable financial situation. I do plan on doing what I can to make sure we meet our salary obligations, but I strongly believe the limited budget we now enjoy should be focused into pursuits that will stand the best chance of economic benefit. Perhaps some volunteer training program for the militia, run perhaps by the Rangers? Alternatively we could begin some sort of patriotic bond program to help pay, but that project would require a bit more planning.

Mr. President, I don't see the LITER Act or anything related to infrastructure on your list. Both issues, I believe, are ones that should be looked at as quickly as possible that we may begin reaping the rewards as quickly as possible. Should the Land Agency be created under the auspices of my Department, I would certainly have no personal problems with the good Prince running it, though the constitutional scholars may disagree.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

My apologies Mr Smith, I knew I forgot something. I've added both proposals to the above agenda. I hope it is now satisfactory.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

I will remind everyone that for legislation to pass into law, it will need to be sponsored by a member of government as an action in their turn.

As I understand it, these are the bills that have sponsors:

The Texan Currency Act of 1836, sponsored by Henry Smith!
Infrastructure Demands Enhancements Act of 1836, sponsored by Henry Smith!
Lowering Inordinate Taxes Enhances Revenue Act of 1836, sponsored by Henry Smith!

There is also the The Military Finance Bill 1836 put forward by General George W. Hockley, but it is unclear if he wishes to sponsor it.

But I'll actually put forward my own bill on that, the Military Funding & Reform Bill 1836, which reads as follows:

The Military Funding & Reform Bill of 1836 posted:

UNDERSTANDING that the Republic of Texas faces many great enemies to the West, North, and South, and,
UNDERSTANDING that the Military of the Republic of Texas needs to be great to fight said enemies, and,
UNDERSTANDING that the current state of the Texan Military is insufficient,

1. Congress shall attempt to allocate sufficient funds so as to allow the Army of the Republic of Texas to reform itself into a modern, professional fighting force
2. Since it is likely that we will have budget shortages, the basic needs of the military (supplies, salaries, etc.) shall be given top priority during budget shortfall
3. The Secretary of War shall be given the mission and duty of leading a long-term reform of the military, so that it will one day become the powerful force it needs to be
4. If the needs of the Army can be sufficiently met, Congress shall attempt to further allocate funds to expand the Texas Rangers

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The issue of immigration into this country is, if I may be so bold, of utmost importance, and merits sponsorship from someone in government. Will no one step forward?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Takanago posted:

I will remind everyone that for legislation to pass into law, it will need to be sponsored by a member of government as an action in their turn.

As I understand it, these are the bills that have sponsors:

The Texan Currency Act of 1836, sponsored by Henry Smith!
Infrastructure Demands Enhancements Act of 1836, sponsored by Henry Smith!
Lowering Inordinate Taxes Enhances Revenue Act of 1836, sponsored by Henry Smith!

There is also the The Military Finance Bill 1836 put forward by General George W. Hockley, but it is unclear if he wishes to sponsor it.

But I'll actually put forward my own bill on that, the Military Funding & Reform Bill 1836, which reads as follows:

Henry Smith!

I must unfortunately urge my opposition to this bill - as written, it will funnel what limited financial resources we have entirely to the military, leaving us unable to spend any money on the necessary economic initiatives we must undertake. I'd be happy to support this when we're in a bit better position financially - unfortunately I've got not idea when that's going to be.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

For the consideration of the legislature:

Land Agency Act 1836

An Act to Create a Land Agency under authority of the Treasury; to establish the extent of the Agency's powers; to make provision for enforcement of the Agency's decisions; and to establish the appointment by the President of a Commissioner of the Land Agency.

1. The Land Agency will have authority over public lands held by the State of Texas.
2. The Land Agency will be responsible for distributing land grants to citizens pursuant to Section 10 of the General Provisions of the 1836 Constitution of Texas
3. The Land Agency will have the power to remove vagrants, squatters, bandits, nomadic Indians and Mexicans from public land
4. The Land Agency will have dispensation to command the Texan Rangers to uphold its authority
5. The Land Agency will be headed by a Commissioner, elected at the same time as the President, and serving for the same period of time
6. The Land Agency will be responsible for the sale of lands dictated by the Department of the Treasury
7. All proceeds from sales of land will go to the Department of the Treasury
8. Personnel other than the Commissioner will be hired and salaried by the Department of the Treasury
9. All sales and grants of land will be audited by the Department of the Treasury

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 31, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

sniper4625 posted:

Henry Smith!

I must unfortunately urge my opposition to this bill - as written, it will funnel what limited financial resources we have entirely to the military, leaving us unable to spend any money on the necessary economic initiatives we must undertake. I'd be happy to support this when we're in a bit better position financially - unfortunately I've got not idea when that's going to be.

Germans make great guns. The BEST. You won't believe how good our guns are.

I propose that the Republic of Texas trade land to the Adelsverein in exchange for imported German arms. I have already written to my organization in Germany in this regard. This would ease your issue of money, allowing you to spend elsewhere (infrastructure) while at the same time strengthening your military. Our people would then settle on this land and become productive Texans themselves.

Drone fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 30, 2016

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

sniper4625 posted:

Henry Smith!

Our top priority, Mr. Smith, is to keep our lands and daughters safe from the vile threats of the Indians and the Mexicans. If the Commanche come down and take our families, or if Santa Anna comes and takes our country, what does it matter if we have a few more roads or not?

I understand that our budget is tight, but this is something that has to be done. I'll note that the part of the budget that is absolutely mandatory to spend on the military is for basic supplies and salaries. Something which is entirely necessary for a functional fighting force.

Perhaps if money is such an issue, we should quickly amend our constitution to allow for the printing of fiat currency.

Drone posted:

The issue of immigration into this country is, if I may be so bold, of utmost importance, and merits sponsorship from someone in government. Will no one step forward?

Ah, yes, this is an important matter to take care of. I would be completely willing to write a bill selling your company land, but first I have to see how this works with...

Enjoy posted:

Land Agency Act 1836

Sam, I have to ask. Do you intend to use this act to appoint Prince Carl to be the head of this land agency? That would put him, a foreign prince, in charge of distributing land to people like himself?

If so, I must oppose this.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Drone posted:

Germans make great guns. The BEST. You won't believe how good our guns are.

I propose that the Republic of Texas trade land to the Adelsverein in exchange for imported German arms. I have already written to my organization in Germany in this regard. This would ease your issue of money, allowing you to spend elsewhere (infrastructure) while at the same time strengthening your military. Our people would then settle on this land and become productive Texans themselves.

Given that land appears to be our primary if only public resource, sounds rather agreeable.

I endorse the Presidents proposal.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Takanago posted:

Sam, I have to ask. Do you intend to use this act to appoint Prince Carl to be the head of this land agency? That would put him, a foreign prince, in charge of distributing land to people like himself?

If so, I must oppose this.

The Act will take 6 months to pass and come into effect, which will give Mr Solms-Braunfels time to apply for citizenship. If he declines to take up citizenship, or if the Supreme Court decides he must give up his titles and he refuses, then I will appoint our good Treasurer, Mr Smith, as Commissioner.

From the General Provisions of the Constitution:

Sec. 6. All free white persons who shall emigrate to this republic, and who shall, after a residence of six months, make oath before some competent authority that he intends to reside permanently in the same, and shall swear to support this constitution, and that he will bear true allegiance to the republic of Texas, shall be entitled to all the privileges of citizenship.

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 30, 2016

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

That is still such a tremendously bad idea. Have you even stopped to consider what people might think about that, Sam? Or the huge conflict of interest in there? Or how ridiculously Old World it is to give the power of distributing our land to foreign royalty?!

It's not just about the constitutionality of it! This is such a bad, and anti-Texan idea! Do you think that people died at the Alamo just to see THIS happen to their country? Did you forget that?

I don't understand why you want to stick so much to a clearly bad idea! Yes, we should invite people like him to settle but we shouldn't ask them to run our government!

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Let it be noted that the good Vice President doubts the loyalty of those hard-working protestants who risk the dangers of crossing the Atlantic to be here.

I do not doubt them: I believe they will secure the independence of Texas from Mexico.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Henry Smith!

An update to my current top infrastructure plan:

Constructing roads along the red lines (solid to start, dashed as practical), will serve a number of purposes:

A) It will connect our greatest population center, San Antonio, with our capital and key port.
B) It will allow the construction of a series of border forts, easily reinforceable and resupplied.
C) It will allow farmers on the interior to better get their goods to market.

Should the IDEA pass, this will be the focus on the initial efforts.

To reiterate an already stated point - I will be doing my utmost to ensure salaries and equipment funding for the military, within the bounds of the unfortunately limited financial situation. I encourage fully any idea to fortify our protectors that might not rely on funds from the public chest.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Sam, you can say whatever the hell you want but it doesn't change the fact that your proposal is a bad idea. In addition to the whole appointment of a German prince thing, I should note that it places the Texas Rangers under the authority of this land agency. Which is rubbish! The Rangers' job is not to police mere land disputes, but to protect the frontier from danger! They do not have the time nor manpower to handle matters of bureaucracy.

But I will; note, as I have noted before, that I have no objection to the granting of land to these German colonists. In fact, I have my own bill which will go around this whole Land Agency funny business. I propose the Land Sale to Germans Act of 1836.

Land Sale to Germans Act of 1836 posted:

WHEREAS, a group of German would-be colonists has expressed interest in purchasing Texan land, and,
UNDERSTANDING, that Texas has plenty of land to offer to settlers,

It shall be that:

1. The Republic of Texas shall work out a deal to sell an amount of land to the The Adelsverein deemed sufficient to start a colony
2. The payment shall be negotiated to be received to be roughly half in precious metals and half in arms and weapons, if possible

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Takanago posted:

Sam, you can say whatever the hell you want but it doesn't change the fact that your proposal is a bad idea. In addition to the whole appointment of a German prince thing, I should note that it places the Texas Rangers under the authority of this land agency. Which is rubbish! The Rangers' job is not to police mere land disputes, but to protect the frontier from danger! They do not have the time nor manpower to handle matters of bureaucracy.

But I will; note, as I have noted before, that I have no objection to the granting of land to these German colonists. In fact, I have my own bill which will go around this whole Land Agency funny business. I propose the Land Sale to Germans Act of 1836.

Henry Smith!

I agree - the Texas Rangers will function best as an independent agency, operating under their own authority as the situation may merit. However we are also constitutionally obligated to establish a land-office, and the President's bill seems mostly reasonable. Strike proviso 4, and ignoring the question of leadership, is there anything truly objectionable?

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

You cannot expect me to ignore the question of leadership when Mr. Houston has made his intention so clear. If he publicly changes his mind on the matter, or if perhaps the head of the agency were not appointed by him, that would be fine.

But as it is, this is something I cannot ignore.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

I am willing to change the office of Commissioner to a position elected by the general citizenry, if the good Vice President agrees to support the recognition of the autonomous sovereignty of any Indian tribes which give up nomadism and settle on lands granted by Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Indian Nations Act 1836

An Act to formalise relations with the Indian tribes; to encourage their settlement on farmland; to encourage them to accept the Republic of Texas as their supreme authority; and to grant them autonomy within the Republic of Texas.

1. Congress shall have the power to designate a group of people as an Indian Nation if it is composed largely or solely of non-White persons without citizenship
2. An Indian Nation must be larger than 100 persons
3. The Government of the Republic of Texas shall grant an area of land (known as an Indian Homestead) to an Indian Nation that is accepted as a Settled Tribe
4. Members of an Indian Nation designated as a Settled Tribe by Congress will not be subject to the civil and criminal laws of the Republic of Texas when within their Indian Homestead
5. An Indian Nation may apply for status from Congress as a Settled Tribe if it:
(a) Agrees to give up any claim on land outside its Indian Homestead
(b) Agrees to abide by the civil and criminal law of the Republic of Texas when outside its Indian Homestead
(c) Agrees to assist the Republic in wars
5. The Indian Homestead shall measure 1 league and labour for each adult male in the Nation at the time it was recognised as a Settled Tribe
6. Land granted to the Settled Tribe as its Homestead must be contiguous
7. The Homestead shall remain the possession of the Settled Tribe in perpetuity

• Locked thread