Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

youd for i posted:

I am trying to find a new monitor to use for a mix of television watching and some computer work too. Ideally I'm looking for something in the 32" range. I see that this LG 32MA68HY-P on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IA9FXAO/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_1?colid=3EMGJF830DRU9&coliid=I1MY3ZHCRF9I7U

is fairly well rated and the price seems low (although it is saying "pre-order" now which I don't think it did yesterday). Are there any red flags on this that I should be aware of?

If it matters, the main thing I would be watching on it is sports. Computer work is mostly excel and other ms office programs. I do also use photoshop somewhat regularly.

Are there any better options for a similar price?

Well, it's 1920x1080 and 32" which means that the text quality will be horrible due to the low DPI, it would be ok if you are viewing at TV distances but if this is going to be at a desk you want something with a smaller screen or higher resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Eh, having used a 42" 1080p TV as a monitor for years, the text isn't that bad even from a few feet away. You can notice the pixels if you're looking for them so it's not amazingly smooth-looking by any means, but it's still easily readable. You could probably live with it at a smaller size like 32", but really, you'd just have to see it for yourself to know whether or not a lower pixel density is acceptable to you.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Any recommendation on desktop mounts for two 23" monitors? I remember seeing Ergotron thrown around, but they're kinda expensive.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Any recommendation on desktop mounts for two 23" monitors? I remember seeing Ergotron thrown around, but they're kinda expensive.

Apparently the Amazon Basics are rebranded Ergotrons? I have 2x single arms for 2x 27" monitors and I am quite happy with mine.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Green Gloves posted:

Craigslist. Its pretty much almost perfect aside from a one small scratch that I buffed out using vaseline.

Can you tell me more about this? I've got a scratch to deal with and I've been using the Mr. Clean magic eraser to try and buff it out, but haven't made much progress.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Well, it's 1920x1080 and 32" which means that the text quality will be horrible due to the low DPI, it would be ok if you are viewing at TV distances but if this is going to be at a desk you want something with a smaller screen or higher resolution.

Nope. Ran like this for years, it was fine. As long as the screen has the right subpixel layout for text you'll be fine and there won't be any screen effect, etc.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 30, 2016

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Toksai posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on the Pixio Px277? It's supposed to be a $389 144hz 1440p freesync IPS monitor using the m270dan02.3 panel which is the same as the xb270hu or MG279Q. I think they're supposedly a Korean-American company, and the monitor stand looks like a terrible one that Crossover uses.

Hmm, this is what I was looking for! I've got a VESA desk mount so idgaf about the lovely stand. I have an nVidia card so the freesync is useless to me, but I'm not about to pay the gsync tax on a comparable monitor (144hz IPS)

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016
I've been watching the PX277, and the one review I found was very positive (except the stand/bezel, but those are non-concerns for me). Still unsure about what the QA and RMA situation is.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

techreport.com posted:

LG will show off two new curved ultrawides at IFA Berlin
The 34UC79G is a 2560x1080 ultrawide for gamers. The 38UC99 monitor's 38-inch diagonal might seem massive, but it's only about the same height as a 30-inch 16:9 monitor. Its 3840x1600 panel is IPS.

http://techreport.com/news/30590/lg-will-show-off-two-new-curved-ultrawides-at-ifa-berlin

I'm excited for larger than 34" ultrawides coming out.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Coredump posted:

Can you tell me more about this? I've got a scratch to deal with and I've been using the Mr. Clean magic eraser to try and buff it out, but haven't made much progress.

https://youtu.be/yUFd1ojhHhA

I did pretty much this except I used my nails to dig some aquapour into the scratch. Apply then smudge then dig/scratch then wipe. Repeat several times.

Ive cleaned off my monitor a few times and the scratch is still nonexistent.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

What would be the best two 27" 1440p monitors to put left and right of the asus pg279q to create a surround and 3 wide 1above monitor setup, without having to buy more pg279qs and breaking the bank?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Deviant posted:

What would be the best two 27" 1440p monitors to put left and right of the asus pg279q to create a surround and 3 wide 1above monitor setup, without having to buy more pg279qs and breaking the bank?

Asus PB278q is a 27" 1440p IPS 60Hz without GSync that goes for about $400 USD.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Having given up on 40" 4k screens because every single one seems terrible I've started looking at 32" 4k screens. It came up once before in this thread but an article on the wirecutter reminded me of the Benq BL3201PH (or BL3201PT depending on where you are).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O1B5M9I/

Amazon reviews/wirecutter seem to like it. Anyone here have strong opinions? I was surprised at how long it's been around and assumed something better must've come along by now.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Tivac posted:

Having given up on 40" 4k screens because every single one seems terrible I've started looking at 32" 4k screens. It came up once before in this thread but an article on the wirecutter reminded me of the Benq BL3201PH (or BL3201PT depending on where you are).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O1B5M9I/

Amazon reviews/wirecutter seem to like it. Anyone here have strong opinions? I was surprised at how long it's been around and assumed something better must've come along by now.

I briefly had the Acer equivalent (B326HK). All these 32" 4K IPS monitors use the same panels and appear to have the same issue where lines or bands will flash on the screen for one frame every few days. I chose to return mine for unrelated issues stemming from hilariously bad QC, but it certainly didn't make the decision any more difficult. Other brands may not have this problem at all.

The Acer had input lag that was so bad, you could notice it at the desktop and the mouse cursor felt a tiny bit floaty. No "game mode" was available that I knew of. I don't know whether this was a characteristic of the panel itself, or if Acer's signal processing just sucks.

The image quality on this panel is fantastic. Very good color saturation and a subtle AG filter (not that anything heavier at 138ppi would be acceptable). The left and right sides are slightly darker than the middle (which is unsightly if half your screen is filled with a text editor like mine is), but I've made this observation about nearly every panel except the one in my cheapo FIRST FSM-270YG. Assuming the panel is straight, you shouldn't get a huge amount of backlight bleed either. Mine was visibly bent at the bottom, so it was really bad.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Zorilla posted:

I briefly had the Acer equivalent (B326HK). All these 32" 4K IPS monitors use the same panels and appear to have the same issue where lines or bands will flash on the screen for one frame every few days. I chose to return mine for unrelated issues stemming from hilariously bad QC, but it certainly didn't make the decision any more difficult. Other brands may not have this problem at all.

The Acer had input lag that was so bad, you could notice it at the desktop and the mouse cursor felt a tiny bit floaty. No "game mode" was available that I knew of. I don't know whether this was a characteristic of the panel itself, or if Acer's signal processing just sucks.

The image quality on this panel is fantastic. Very good color saturation and a subtle AG filter (not that anything heavier at 138ppi would be acceptable). The left and right sides are slightly darker than the middle (which is unsightly if half your screen is filled with a text editor like mine is), but I've made this observation about nearly every panel except the one in my cheapo FIRST FSM-270YG. Assuming the panel is straight, you shouldn't get a huge amount of backlight bleed either. Mine was visibly bent at the bottom, so it was really bad.

Did you ever find a large 4k screen that wasn't garbage?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
I have the AMH A399U and have been super happy with it. My one complaint is that the tempered glass makes glare pretty bad during the day. There are guides for taking the glass off but I never bothered because I mostly use it at night.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Tivac posted:

If I ever upgrade, it's probably going to be a 34" ultrawide since, for me, ergonomics trumps sheer pixel count. At 32", I pretty much had to use it at 125% DPI scaling. Windows does this better than most people give it credit for, even if it's far from perfect (though you do have to disable scaling in some software so it increases the size of UI elements instead of attempting raster scaling).

However, since I build websites by trade (mostly WordPress, nothing special), things get confusing when trying to figure out responsive design targets since all the viewport measurements have 125% applied to them. Not to mention Photoshop only does 100% and 200% scaling at this point, and neither are comfortable at 138ppi.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
The topic of decent gaming monitors recently came up in the Overwatch thread, and I've been thinking about replacing my current monitor (a really ancient Dell P2412H).

Are there any "gaming" monitors out there that won't break the bank? I've been thinking about something like this BenQ XL2411Z but are there any other decent and/or better recommendations in the same price range ($500 or less)?

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Boogle posted:

The topic of decent gaming monitors recently came up in the Overwatch thread, and I've been thinking about replacing my current monitor (a really ancient Dell P2412H).

Are there any "gaming" monitors out there that won't break the bank? I've been thinking about something like this BenQ XL2411Z but are there any other decent and/or better recommendations in the same price range ($500 or less)?

The Viewsonic XG2401/Asus MG248q/Nixeus Vue 24. There are a ton of 144hz panels. I like the look of the Asus the most. Theres like no price difference nowadays between a 144hz with or without freesync.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Paging xthetenth:

Widescreen, gsync, money is no object. Go.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Subjunctive posted:

Paging xthetenth:

Widescreen, gsync, money is no object. Go.

Peanut butter, chocolate and/or jelly.

We're listing things that go great together, right? I'm all over recommending the X34 or its follow on if you feel like waiting.

Serious, it's XR341CK if you want smoother, X34 if you want that great aspect ratio, or wait for something cooler.

Or do you just want the xthetenth Grand Universal Ultrawide Propaganda Post™?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

xthetenth posted:

Peanut butter, chocolate and/or jelly.

We're listing things that go great together, right? I'm all over recommending the X34 or its follow on if you feel like waiting.

Serious, it's XR341CK if you want smoother, X34 if you want that great aspect ratio, or wait for something cooler.

Or do you just want the xthetenth Grand Universal Ultrawide Propaganda Post™?

Wait how long? I've got an XB27HU now, so I'm not in agony, but I'd like to upgrade before Christmas.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Wait how long? I've got an XB27HU now, so I'm not in agony, but I'd like to upgrade before Christmas.

I think it was big headline or maybe burritojustice who was posting news about the refresh, I don't know off the top of my head. After buying three of the things I'm not so much in the market right now.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Ynglaur posted:

Asus PB278q is a 27" 1440p IPS 60Hz without GSync that goes for about $400 USD.

Am I gonna have any issues pairing gsync and non gsync, if i try to do surround gaming? I wanted to buy 2 for a left and a right, without having to buy 2 more PG279Qs

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Boogle posted:

I just bought the Zowie version (which is exactly the same) just for Overwatch, and despite the TN panel I'm really liking it. Might be a placebo effect but I'm hitting more headshots with hanjo and window maker than I ever did when I was playing on my 60Hz 2560 x 1080 LG ultrawide. Actually I just find it better to aim with in general, sleep darting ulting genjos has never been easier. I guess the main thing was downgrading from an IPS to TN panel, it doesn't really bug me but I can see how the downsides would be off-putting for some people.

Also they go for CAD450 here in Australia, I had to stew on it for a while before I YOLOed and bought it but at CAD300 it would have been a no-brainer for me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

xthetenth posted:

I think it was big headline or maybe burritojustice who was posting news about the refresh, I don't know off the top of my head. After buying three of the things I'm not so much in the market right now.

OK, I'll try and dig those up, thanks!

Looks like the magic word is "X34P" and the details are just "Q4".

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 31, 2016

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I'm not sure what happened to those super ultrawides or whatever that are even wider at 36+ inches. I'd like to avoid buying two ultrawides and face the same problem I had with dual monitors - bezel / screen interruption in the middle.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Tivac posted:

There's speculation Philips may announce something this week, pricy however.

Subjunctive posted:

OK, I'll try and dig those up, thanks!

Looks like the magic word is "X34P" and the details are just "Q4".

I'm waiting for details on this one myself, really tempted to jump on it once it releases. Although I'm still hoping for 144Hz, since DP 1.3 is finally starting to get some traction.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

It's been known for quite a while that LG is making a 3440x1440p 144Hz panel, but it is still up in the air whether there will be a model launched with DP1.3+ to allow the panel to run at it's full native resolution/refresh rate. LG announced a new 34" 3440x1440p ultrawide yesterday with, presumably, the aforementioned panel. Unfortunately, it's been since "confirmed" (the press release specifically avoids mentioning both the resolution and refresh rate simultaneously, and there have been statements from retailers et al.) to be 75Hz max in 1440p mode and 144Hz max in 1080p mode. The X34P has so far been said to be "Native" 100Hz, but given that there is no 3440x1440p 100Hz native panel, it is basically confirmed to be the same 144Hz panel. We've yet to see if there will be a DP1.3/1.4 model at full resolution and refresh rate. I would imagine that Nvidia would love to jump on the chance to make a GSync module for DP1.3/1.4 as a vector to push Pascal's display bandwidth advantage over Maxwell.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Work is keen to buy me a 4k monitor, looking at the Samsung U28E590D. it's £328 on Amazon. PLS and 28" look good to me. Don't wanna break their budget, but is there a better deal in the UK?

Mostly used for productivity, maybe watching movies and some gaming (dark souls, Overwatch maybe. Other console ports. Nothing twitchy basically.)

well why not fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Aug 31, 2016

Talaii
Sep 5, 2003

You crack me up, lil buddy!

well why not posted:

Work is keen to buy me a 4k monitor, looking at the Samsung U28E590D. it's £328 on Amazon. PLS and 28" look good to me. Don't wanna break their budget, but is there a better deal in the UK?

Mostly used for productivity, maybe watching movies and some gaming (dark souls, Overwatch maybe. Other console ports. Nothing twitchy basically.)

Pretty sure that's TN, not PLS. The product page on amazon doesn't say either way (though the reviews down the bottom claim PLS), but Samsung's product page claims TN, and 1ms seems like TN too.

In general, the 28" panels are all TN and the 27" are usually IPS (or PLS/AHVA, same difference).

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Etrips posted:

Apparently the Amazon Basics are rebranded Ergotrons? I have 2x single arms for 2x 27" monitors and I am quite happy with mine.

Thanks, I'll check those out.

Question regarding dual monitor setups: how do you guys have them placed? do you have one directly in front of you and the second on one side, or both "in front" so the middle of both is directly in front?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Thanks, I'll check those out.

Question regarding dual monitor setups: how do you guys have them placed? do you have one directly in front of you and the second on one side, or both "in front" so the middle of both is directly in front?

I have my main monitor directly in front of me and the secondary to my left. I don't know how people can have both monitors off center in the middle as you will always have your neck turned one way which will eventually cause some ergonomic issues.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
I also have my main monitor in front of me and secondary to the left, part of this is because I play games on the main monitor. Curious what others will say.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Etrips posted:

I have my main monitor directly in front of me and the secondary to my left. I don't know how people can have both monitors off center in the middle as you will always have your neck turned one way which will eventually cause some ergonomic issues.

Col.Kiwi posted:

I also have my main monitor in front of me and secondary to the left, part of this is because I play games on the main monitor. Curious what others will say.

Yeah, I used to have them both off centre which led to my neck being slightly to one side 75% of the time so when I moved to a new place I put the main monitor in the middle and the secondary to the left, but sometimes I feel it's kinda... too much to the side? Like I have to turn my head a bit too much? Dunno, maybe I just haven't gotten used to it yet.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Bigger monitor in front smaller off to the side, both at work and at home.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Hamburger Test posted:

Bigger monitor in front smaller off to the side, both at work and at home.

Yeah. Different strokes for different folks and all that... but I can't imagine wanting to do it differently.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

By 27" you're going to have your secondary screen be a very definite secondary. I run a 34" ultrawide surrounded by 27s and I only use the center side half of the 27s in most circumstances. I did pretty similar with a pair of 27s, it's part of why I rate ultrawides so highly.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

BurritoJustice posted:

It's been known for quite a while that LG is making a 3440x1440p 144Hz panel, but it is still up in the air whether there will be a model launched with DP1.3+ to allow the panel to run at it's full native resolution/refresh rate. LG announced a new 34" 3440x1440p ultrawide yesterday with, presumably, the aforementioned panel. Unfortunately, it's been since "confirmed" (the press release specifically avoids mentioning both the resolution and refresh rate simultaneously, and there have been statements from retailers et al.) to be 75Hz max in 1440p mode and 144Hz max in 1080p mode. The X34P has so far been said to be "Native" 100Hz, but given that there is no 3440x1440p 100Hz native panel, it is basically confirmed to be the same 144Hz panel. We've yet to see if there will be a DP1.3/1.4 model at full resolution and refresh rate. I would imagine that Nvidia would love to jump on the chance to make a GSync module for DP1.3/1.4 as a vector to push Pascal's display bandwidth advantage over Maxwell.

One of the spec sheets I saw said DP1.2, so yeah.

LG, if you make that thing run 144hz at full resolution, I'll buy it. I mean seriously. It's not like there's an additional manufacturing cost to this.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Deviant posted:

Am I gonna have any issues pairing gsync and non gsync, if i try to do surround gaming? I wanted to buy 2 for a left and a right, without having to buy 2 more PG279Qs

I don't know, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Apparently I'm a bit of a odd duck. I've got my secondary directly above my main, though generally the stuff that goes there is stuff I'm not looking at that often.