Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
That is a very good cut indeed. Can I recommend you got to Ikea and buy the much lauded lidholder thing though. Floating a bag in water like that you potentially risk it blocking the water "intake" which can lead to overheating I think.
Also it is a really cool steak rack and is collapsible. I just forgot the name....Variera lid holder it is. Costs about 7 dollars I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Hopper posted:

That is a very good cut indeed. Can I recommend you got to Ikea and buy the much lauded lidholder thing though. Floating a bag in water like that you potentially risk it blocking the water "intake" which can lead to overheating I think.
Also it is a really cool steak rack and is collapsible. I just forgot the name....Variera lid holder it is. Costs about 7 dollars I think.
I had the bag snapped under the lid, but yeah I was eyeballing that thing earlier, thinking about how I needed one.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Made kenjis sv chuck with the fattiest boneless crossrib potroast I could find. 36 hours in the bag with salt, pink salt, liquid smoke and pepper, a week in the fridge then just over an hour in the oven to finish (it was only a 2lb roast).

I was a little worried that it would be dry after I saw the amount of liquid and gelatin that came out of the bag but it was tender and delicious with a great bark. After people's comments that it came out salty I rinsed it off after I took it out of the bag and just rubbed it down with black pepper. It was pink all the way through from the tiny bit of curing salt. Served it on white sourdough with pickles and a homemade mustard based BBQ sauce, very good, will make again.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Hopper posted:

That is a very good cut indeed.

Here's a photo without it installed. It's actually quite lovely! It looks decent with the the overhang of the unit though. I think the wife was harassing the poo poo out of me by the time I started the right half.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Still better than mine, I just snipped off a square from the corner of the lid and didn't bother to round it :v:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Hopper posted:

Floating a bag in water like that you potentially risk it blocking the water "intake" which can lead to overheating I think.

I've vizzled large free floating pieces in a far more space restricted pot, to the point the bag was touching the circulator, and I've never ever had such an issue.

Divine Blob
Mar 13, 2013
I'm assuming you cut a hole in the lid to prevent less heat from escaping?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Divine Blob posted:

I'm assuming you cut a hole in the lid to prevent less heat from escaping?

Also cuts down on evaporation.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Also I couldn't actually put the unit in the water without a hole to put it through. Otherwise it would just lay on top doing nothing,

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
That hole is precision milling compared with my "let's cut this square opening for a round device" on my old lid. I just bought a PC tub with 2 pc lids. I'll try to Drexel one of those and see how that goes, hence a second one in case I mess up.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Hopper posted:

That hole is precision milling compared with my "let's cut this square opening for a round device" on my old lid. I just bought a PC tub with 2 pc lids. I'll try to Drexel one of those and see how that goes, hence a second one in case I mess up.
If you own a drill you could just get a hole saw of the appropriate size if you're that worried about it being neat. If the material's pilable/flexible, sandwich it between a couple pieces of scrap wood and clamp. If it's brittle, apply some friction tape (or the equivalent) along the path of the cut.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the advice. Clear polycarbonate is quite sturdy but I will definitely use the tape suggestion. My plan is to draw an outline, drill a hole in the center and then use saw to cut out bit until I am near the outline, afterwards I'll use my dremel to smooth out the edges. I basically bought the second lid in case I crack the first one. I never cut thick plastic like that.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Picked up an Anova yesterday, after thinking about getting a circulator for a few years now. I'm gonna do a couple of eggs as a test run and see how it works out. I'm very excited.

Edit: Well, the eggs turned out exactly as expected. I cooked one for about one hour and one for 35 minutes in 63.5 C and they turned out exactly as described in the Serious Eats sous vide eggs guide. I think I prefered the slightly jammier consistency of the one hour egg. Next time I'll go for a 65 degree one, to see how that turns out. Next up is puddling some ribs over night for brunch tomorrow.

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 27, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
recommendations for boneless pork loin? its really loving cheap here

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I like to use the pork brine from ad hoc, and then I'm pretty sure I did 2 hrs somewhere between 132 & 135. Might depend on the size. These were relatively small. I've finished it a few ways including grilling, torching the whole loin, broiling/roasting the whole thing or slicing and pan searing. I've also used the same method with the fig & fennel stuffed loin out of ad hoc.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Look for maple rosemary pork loin on the anova app.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

2 hours seems a bit short for a 1kg pork loin and i'm not sure how easily i can get maple syrup in the UK

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I did 1kg of tenderloin for two hours last weekend and it was fine.

Loin is thicker though so maybe 3 hours?

Also if you can't get maple syrup you should riot or something , jfc.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hi guys i have been lurking here for a while.

Does the new annova model or other models support timer functions or different phases?

Lik can I put some eggs in a pot and have the cooker start sous vide half an hour before i wake up? That way I get perfect eggs everyday. And if I'm ambitious it can cook other things as well at different phase or something

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
Labor Day weekend is going to be a cook-fest for me as I prepare a lot of food to be frozen in smaller portions for quick weekday meals, and I wanted to confirm that my plan regarding sous vide ribs was not going to fail, or make anybody sick.

I bought english-style beef ribs from the butcher, and plan to use 2 sous vide devices in separate containers to long cook (48 hours+) 4 packages of ribs (3 per pack) until they are about two hours away from being done. I want to then ice-bath chill and freeze them, with the intent that when I'm ready to eat them over the fall/winter, I'll put them back in the sous vide from a frozen state and cook for 3-4 hours to thaw, bring to temp, and finish cooking.

Given that I plan to immediately chill and freeze once they're almost done cooking, is there anything I'm overlooking?

Kalista fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 30, 2016

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Kalista posted:

Labor Day weekend is going to be a cook-fest for me as I prepare a lot of food to be frozen in smaller portions for quick weekday meals, and I wanted to confirm that my plan regarding sous vide ribs was not going to fail, or make anybody sick.

I bought english-style beef ribs from the butcher, and plan to use 2 sous vide devices in separate containers to long cook (48 hours+) 4 packages of ribs (3 per pack) until they are about two hours away from being done. I want to then ice-bath chill and freeze them, with the intent that when I'm ready to eat them over the fall/winter, I'll put them back in the sous vide from a frozen state and cook for 3-4 hours to thaw, bring to temp, and finish cooking.

Given that I plan to immediately chill and freeze once they're almost done cooking, is there anything I'm overlooking?

Just cook them until they are done, then you just have to reheat them. I don't see any benefit to not fully cooking them.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Jose posted:

2 hours seems a bit short for a 1kg pork loin and i'm not sure how easily i can get maple syrup in the UK

I did pork loin a few times in the past, dubbed "meat log" by my partner. I'd usually sous vide it using this Nom Paleo's times, about 4-6 hours at 137F. I normally have to chop big roasts into two pieces because my bags and pot can't fit it.

One it's cooked, the sky is the limit. I've had it as is, seasoned with salt, pepper and a jus from the sous vide liquids. Also had it as steaks seared on the grill or a cast iron pan. One of my favourites was using thin slices in a ghetto shoyu soba bowl.

Jan fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 30, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Viddled pork tenderloin is the poo poo, I love it

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Jan posted:

I did pork loin a few times in the past, dubbed "meat log" by my partner. I'd usually sous vide it using this Nom Paleo's times, about 4-6 hours at 137F. I normally have to chop big roasts into two pieces because my bags and pot can't fit it.

One it's cooked, the sky is the limit. I've had it as is, seasoned with salt, pepper and a jus from the sous vide liquids. Also had it as steaks seared on the grill or a cast iron pan. One of my favourites was using thin slices in a ghetto shoyu soba bowl.

Let's see the noodles there

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Oh cmon man avocado???? Tokugawa shogunate all rolling in their loving graves

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

namaste faggots posted:

Oh cmon man avocado???? Tokugawa shogunate all rolling in their loving graves

Google 'site:.jp アボカド ラーメン', it seems to be a thing. I'd eat it and I've visited Tokugawa Ieyasu's grave.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Made top side/round of beef on sunday

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Any suggestions on time/temp for top blade roast? I'm thinking 131 or so for 12 hours but I'm open to ideas.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Jose posted:

Made top side/round of beef on sunday

drat that looks good.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
The new Sansaire is on KS (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/681827929/sansaire-delta-make-perfect-cooking-even-easier), and I am heartily unimpressed. $249 MSRP, the usual app integration, whatever. But what really kills it for me is the apparently pot-only design -- I certainly wouldn't be able to use it in the cooler I have, and I'm not even sure it would work well on the cambros and cambro-alikes that others here use.

I'm happy with my Anova, but I was hoping for a new low price point on an acceptable device to facilitate gifting.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Test Pattern posted:

The new Sansaire is on KS (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/681827929/sansaire-delta-make-perfect-cooking-even-easier), and I am heartily unimpressed. $249 MSRP, the usual app integration, whatever. But what really kills it for me is the apparently pot-only design -- I certainly wouldn't be able to use it in the cooler I have, and I'm not even sure it would work well on the cambros and cambro-alikes that others here use.

I'm happy with my Anova, but I was hoping for a new low price point on an acceptable device to facilitate gifting.

Maybe I'm getting old, but I loathe that retro dot style LED display too.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That page doesn't give a good look as to how much room it takes in the pot. Which was my biggest complaint with the original Sansaire.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That page doesn't give a good look as to how much room it takes in the pot. Which was my biggest complaint with the original Sansaire.

Hmmmmmmmm kinda weird

edit: ideally, you want an immersion circulator to be tall and thin so that it takes up less space in the cooking vessel. A triangle shape seems to stick more of its mass into the cooking vessel in one of the more intrusive and disruptive ways possible.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 1, 2016

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hi goons, what kind of cooker will fit

http://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/outdoor-heavy-duty-coolers/elite-cooler/standard/35QT/

I really want to get one, thanks!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

caberham posted:

http://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/outdoor-heavy-duty-coolers/elite-cooler/standard/35QT/

Probably the original Sansaire, or a Joule or some other circulator that can sit on the floor. The lip is thick enough that an Anova One's clip wouldn't work with it. I'm also guessing you probably can't fill it all the way because that's a pretty big container and I'm sure you could just fill it 1/3 of the way and you'd hit the max fill line for the Sansaire or the Joule. Which is fine because the Sansaire can't heat more than 22 liters of water reliably under ideal conditions (i.e. with a lid)

edit: You could use two Anovas and fill the water all the way if you got some wooden beams laying across the top that the Anovas could clip onto. You'd definitely need two and maybe even three if you want to heat 35 quarts of water. That is, if you need to feed more than a dozen people.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 1, 2016

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
https://www.chefsteps.com/joule/hardware

This looks but I'm not in the states :( Anything good for the UK market? Thanks!

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

caberham posted:

If you must use this, consider building a custom rig.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Yeah you're not going to heat 35 quarts of water to any usable temperature with a standard immersion circulator. Just get a Cambro and an Anova dude.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Hmmmmmmmm kinda weird

edit: ideally, you want an immersion circulator to be tall and thin so that it takes up less space in the cooking vessel. A triangle shape seems to stick more of its mass into the cooking vessel in one of the more intrusive and disruptive ways possible.

But they don't show it in a pot. Given that the outside part is going to be straight up and down, that inside block will protrude even further out into your pot than the measurements would seem to indicate. Which was my big problem with the original sansaire, that thing is huge and really limits what you can use it in.

The Joule, by comparison, looks awesome. Slim, spring loaded clip, magnetic base. The only thing that keeps me from getting one is the dumb requirement to use the app to set the temp. App connectivity is fine and all, but there needs to be a way to set the temp directly on the device. It should stand on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'd think it'd make you loose 4 inches or so. However if you have a pot a bit deeper than 9 inches you'll have bottom space. Still not wild about any of these other than the Anova 1