Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Enjoy posted:

President Samuel "Sam" Houston

For the consideration of the legislature:

Indian Nations Act 1836

An Act to formalise relations with the Indian tribes; to encourage their settlement on farmland; to encourage them to accept the Republic of Texas as their supreme authority; and to grant them autonomy within the Republic of Texas.

1. Congress shall have the power to designate a group of people as an Indian Nation if it is composed largely or solely of non-White persons without citizenship
2. An Indian Nation must be larger than 100 persons
3. The Government of the Republic of Texas shall grant an area of land (known as an Indian Homestead) to an Indian Nation that is accepted as a Settled Tribe
4. Members of an Indian Nation designated as a Settled Tribe by Congress will not be subject to the civil and criminal laws of the Republic of Texas when within their Indian Homestead
5. An Indian Nation may apply for status from Congress as a Settled Tribe if it:
(a) Agrees to give up any claim on land outside its Indian Homestead
(b) Agrees to abide by the civil and criminal law of the Republic of Texas when outside its Indian Homestead
(c) Agrees to assist the Republic in wars
5. The Indian Homestead shall measure 1 league and labour for each adult male in the Nation at the time it was recognised as a Settled Tribe
6. Land granted to the Settled Tribe as its Homestead must be contiguous
7. The Homestead shall remain the possession of the Settled Tribe in perpetuity

Henry Smith!

A reasoned approach to the matter, one that I can only hope our Indian soon-to-be friends can accept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalingrad
Feb 5, 2011

Enjoy posted:

For the consideration of the legislature:

Indian Nations Act 1836

An Act to formalise relations with the Indian tribes; to encourage their settlement on farmland; to encourage them to accept the Republic of Texas as their supreme authority; and to grant them autonomy within the Republic of Texas.

1. Congress shall have the power to designate a group of people as an Indian Nation if it is composed largely or solely of non-White persons without citizenship
3. The Government of the Republic of Texas shall grant an area of land (known as an Indian Homestead) to an Indian Nation that is accepted as a Settled Tribe
4. Members of an Indian Nation designated as a Settled Tribe by Congress will not be subject to the civil and criminal laws of the Republic of Texas when within their Indian Homestead
5. An Indian Nation may apply for status from Congress as a Settled Tribe if it:
(b) Agrees to abide by the civil and criminal law of the Republic of Texas when outside its Indian Homestead
5. The Indian Homestead shall measure 1 league and labour for each adult male in the Nation at the time it was recognised as a Settled Tribe

The Bowl
A commendable plan, however I am willing to offer Cherokee services in regards to the creation of Texan infrastructure, in exchange for further territorial concessions in the Nacogdoches.
We wish to prosper in this republic in a way we could not when dealing with the United States, I see no reason why this can not benefit all.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

José María Jesús Carbajal

On the topic of the office of Commissioner of the Land Agency, I would humbly put my own name forward for consideration. Not as a slight against the integrity or competency of our German friend, but for the simple reason that, as pointed out, the appointment of a foreigner to such a post may be problematic. I am a surveyor by trade, and my father-in-law Martín de Léon was the most notable empresario in the state before his death a few years ago. I worked for him for several years before embarking on my political career, and I do not believe it is unfair of me to say that I did my work ably, despite being arrested by the old tyrant Governor Bradburn for doing so. Further, I would point out that as a native speaker of both Spanish and English, I am particularly suited to the bilingual nature of the position: the ability to read legal documents in both languages and communicate with Spanish and English speakers alike is crucial in such a job. Naturally, I would be happy to work closely with our German friend to help him settle his countrymen in our beautiful land.

Naturally, if it is decided to make the position an elected run, I will be happy to run.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Vice-President, Mirabeau B. Lamar

No, Sam, I will not endorse your scheme of "Indian Nations". Your plan might sound noble on paper, but fancy words are not what this country was built upon. This country was built upon the hard work and sweat of the white settlers that migrated here and built it! And every day that passes, more and more good, hard-working people come over that border looking for land to settle. And sure, it might seem plentiful now, but what will we do when we run out?

This country, no- this continent was built upon the spirit of colonial expansion! If the United States had adopted an attitude like yours, they would be stuck on the East Coast! Yes, they did resettle their Indian tribes but do you know where they put them? Here! And now it is our problem!

As the light of civilization expands from the east, it pushes the elements of the frontier ever westward! Now I ask you, shall we remain stuck to the attitudes and peoples of the frontier, or will we do the right thing, accept our manifest destiny, and civilize our frontier for ourselves!

If we want our frontier to be truly settled, if we want our frontier to know true peace, and if we want our land to be truly civilized we must drive those Indians out!

Sam, if you introduce that bill to congress I will do everything in my power to block its passage.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Takanago posted:

No, Sam, I will not endorse your scheme of "Indian Nations". Your plan might sound noble on paper, but fancy words are not what this country was built upon. This country was built upon the hard work and sweat of the white settlers that migrated here and built it! And every day that passes, more and more good, hard-working people come over that border looking for land to settle. And sure, it might seem plentiful now, but what will we do when we run out?

This country, no- this continent was built upon the spirit of colonial expansion! If the United States had adopted an attitude like yours, they would be stuck on the East Coast! Yes, they did resettle their Indian tribes but do you know where they put them? Here! And now it is our problem!

As the light of civilization expands from the east, it pushes the elements of the frontier ever westward! Now I ask you, shall we remain stuck to the attitudes and peoples of the frontier, or will we do the right thing, accept our manifest destiny, and civilize our frontier for ourselves!

If we want our frontier to be truly settled, if we want our frontier to know true peace, and if we want our land to be truly civilized we must drive those Indians out!

Sam, if you introduce that bill to congress I will do everything in my power to block its passage.

Henry Smith!

If and when we need more territory under this plan, we merely have to expand through the new "Indian Nations," which will ultimately still be Texas territory. Our Westward Expansion (a goal I too support) would not be impeded. It may even be hastened, as incidents of Indian raids and the like decrease.

Stalingrad
Feb 5, 2011

Takanago posted:

The Bowl

How long will you drive us out? how far? how many of us must you rid yourself of, how many times must we state that we wish to live in peace before you finally decide to end your wave of senseless slaughter?

You call us savages, but you're the only one who refuses to behave in a civilised manner.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Mr Smith, I thank you for your support. I expect that with the proposed Land Agency under your Department, the Texan government will become a well oiled machine, efficiently dispensing law.

Mr Lamar, I thank you for your prompt response.

Mr Carbajal, I agree that you are a very well qualified candidate for Commissioner. In light of recent discussions with Vice President Lamar, I agree that having the position be elected rather than appointed would be much more conducive to effective government. If the legislation passes, I will endorse your election as its first Commissioner.

Chief Bowl, I thank you for your agreeableness towards the plan. I expect the government could make use of your people's labour in exchange for payment in cash or kind, but that would be for the Departments of War and the Treasury to decide upon.

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 30, 2016

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

For the interest of the general public, some calculations. The Indian Nations Act 1836 states:

This would mean, assuming the higher estimate of 60,000 Indians living within Texas, with 10,000 assumed to be adult men, 10,000 * 177 acres = 1,770,000 acres, + 10,000 * 4,428 acres = 44,280,000 acres, for a total of 46,050,000 acres of land granted to Indian Nations in perpetuity. For reference, the Republic of Texas currently claims land equal in area to 249,066,240 acres.

I believe the Republic is able to accept autonomy within one fifth of its claimed area in exchange for the eternal allegiance of the Indian Nations.

Stalingrad
Feb 5, 2011

The Bowl

The original settlement with the Cherokee was for 25 million acres, which is all we request.

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

James Pinckney Henderson

Time and time again we hear the Vice President protest the sagacious decisions of the President, but I've yet to hear a viable alternative come out of his esteemed mouth. Drive the Indians out- it certainly sounds nice. If we as a people had the means to drive the Indians to the sea and slaughter them to a man, then certainly, that would be a splendid solution to our problem. But just as we can not teach the pig to fly, we can not compel these Indians to fall over and die. Really, how do you propose we do that? Do you earnestly believe our forces capable of pacifying the savages that live on our frontier?

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Enjoy posted:

I believe the Republic is able to accept autonomy within one fifth of its claimed area in exchange for the eternal allegiance of the Indian Nations.

One-fifth. If one-fifth of our country does not matter to you, we might as well just call ourselves "Texa" for the rest of our lives.

This is entirely too much land to just give away. If you told a mother of five that you wanted to take one of her sons away, you'd get slapped in the face. And rightfully so. Do you also want to give out even more land when we expand westward? Shall we be giving away one-fifth of everything we gain, until the end of time? The United States had much less than one-fifth of their land occupied by Indians, and they still forced them to move out of their way.

This is not reasonable.

Viral Warfare posted:

James Pinckney Henderson

Time and time again we hear the Vice President protest the sagacious decisions of the President, but I've yet to hear a viable alternative come out of his esteemed mouth. Drive the Indians out- it certainly sounds nice. If we as a people had the means to drive the Indians to the sea and slaughter them to a man, then certainly, that would be a splendid solution to our problem. But just as we can not teach the pig to fly, we can not compel these Indians to fall over and die. Really, how do you propose we do that? Do you earnestly believe our forces capable of pacifying the savages that live on our frontier?

Yes. Yes I do believe that our armed forces have the strength to pacify the frontier. Do you not? Do you honestly doubt the power of the same armed forces that defeated Santa Anna? I fought in that war, Henderson. I was there. I know what our forces are capable of.

You might look at the pure numbers of men and be scared at that, but that's not what wins battles. War isn't about numbers. But if you want to look at numbers, look at the numbers of guns we have. Our guns may not be the best, but we still vastly outnumber the Indians in terms of firepower.

We have what it takes, and don't you forget that. Could you imagine where we would be today if we had listened to the worriers of yesterday? "Forget the Alamo!" they'd say. "We're just too weak!"

And even if you say that I am too hopeful, I am still being cautious. Take a look at the military bill I put forward not too long ago. I want us to expand and modernize our military, to protect not only from the Indian raiders but from the menacing dictators of Mexico.

Stalingrad
Feb 5, 2011

The Bowl

Again I ask, how far will you push, how many will you kill, do you really wish to build a republic, based on liberty?
Or do you wish to build yourself an empire, on the bones of my people?

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

If it were possible, I would have it be so that nobody has to die. But so long as the Indian tribes oppose our natural and orderly expansion into the unsettled frontier it will be inevitable that blood will be shed.

If you wish to avoid bloodshed, your most prudent option would be to leave Texas entirely and settle elsewhere. Learn from the lessons of your formerly Eastern brethren.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Chief Bowls, I believe the original agreement was 2.5 million acres. Assuming your tribe now has 200 adult men, you will be entitled by this provision to about 1 million acres. It's not satisfactory, but it's more likely to pass Congress. I am very sorry.

Mr Lamar, I thank you for your contributions. In light of your words, I will be making various adjustments to the organisation of the armed forces, pursuant to Article 6, Section 7 of the Constitution, which will become apparent in the months to come.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Juan Nepomuceno Seguín

While I would normally keep myself out of this argument, the matters of foreign affairs are above my post until the time comes for aggressive action, I must speak out to better inform the legislature. We quite frankly are barely holding what we have now. Between General Hockley and myself our forces are already stretched too thin, guarding both the Comanche frontier and the Mexican border. If further expansion is to come then the army must be aggressively overhauled and re-outfitted. I again call for better equipment, a network of army bases and forts, regular pay, uniforms and standardized training. Without all of these things I do believe we are no where near ready for operations on any significant scale.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

General George W. Hockley

Mr Vice President, I stand ready and willing to take action and propose the bill on the part of the ordinary fighting men of Texas who risk their very lives in the name of the freedom and prosper of our nation.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

I appreciate the enthusiasm, General Hockley, but I think I'll stick with my own military funding bill instead. You're more than welcome to work together with the other generals and with the Secretary of War, though, for your idea about a military planning committee.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

(Turns are due in about 48 hours!)

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

I've forwarded these proposed pieces of legislation to the legislature [submitted my turn to rumsod]

Please note that the Land Agency Commissioner is now a popularly elected office, serving coterminously with the President.

Enjoy posted:

Land Agency Act 1836

An Act to Create a Land Agency under authority of the Treasury; to establish the extent of the Agency's powers; to make provision for enforcement of the Agency's decisions; and to establish the appointment by the President of a Commissioner of the Land Agency.

1. The Land Agency will have authority over public lands held by the State of Texas.
2. The Land Agency will be responsible for distributing land grants to citizens pursuant to Section 10 of the General Provisions of the 1836 Constitution of Texas
3. The Land Agency will have the power to remove vagrants, squatters, bandits, nomadic Indians and Mexicans from public land
4. The Land Agency will have dispensation to command the Texan Rangers to uphold its authority
5. The Land Agency will be headed by a Commissioner, elected at the same time as the President, and serving for the same period of time
6. The Land Agency will be responsible for the sale of lands dictated by the Department of the Treasury
7. All proceeds from sales of land will go to the Department of the Treasury
8. Personnel other than the Commissioner will be hired and salaried by the Department of the Treasury
9. All sales and grants of land will be audited by the Department of the Treasury

Enjoy posted:

Indian Nations Act 1836

mynamewas
Jul 23, 2007
Point
Give me that ol' time religion.

Zachariah N. Morrell

mynamewas fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 31, 2016

mynamewas
Jul 23, 2007
Point

Zachariah N. Morrell

The Indian Nations Act is an absurdity and unnecessary concession to the heathen dirt-worshippers and their Papist allies. I fear with its passage we will soon enough pay a heavy price in blood.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Thank you, Mr Morrell. With the aid of charismatic pastors and ministers such as yourself, the Indians will soon see the light of the true faith and adopt civilised ways, becoming our stalwart brothers-in-arms against the Mexican tyrants.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Need turns from a lot of players!

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
I sent my turn, rumsod-san.

vicious citrus
Dec 10, 2014

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.
same

mynamewas
Jul 23, 2007
Point
Sent.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Turn=In

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Name and shame these fruitless fathers of Texas!

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Still missing a few turns.

vicious citrus
Dec 10, 2014

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Still missing a few turns.
list the miscreants

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

(No quarter for people who somehow can't manage to send in turns after having been given a whole drat week).

Stalingrad
Feb 5, 2011

I sent mine in, I hope you got it ok.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Please use the following placeholder action for the lazy

1. Donate all personal funds to the Texan Treasury

Ty

Stalingrad
Feb 5, 2011

sniper4625 posted:

Please use the following placeholder action for the lazy

1. Donate all personal funds to the Texan Treasury

Ty

2. Then give your land to the Cherokee.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

3. And all your material goods (esp. weaponry) to the Glanton Gang.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Turn sent, sorry for lateness.

mynamewas
Jul 23, 2007
Point
RIP

vicious citrus
Dec 10, 2014

We all knew it would end like this.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Turn is almost done, will be posted later today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Early 1837

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=793o8zRFVA8

Affairs of the Congress of the Republic of Texas:

Vice President Mirabeau B. Lamar proposes the Military Funding & Reform Bill, which passes but to no real effect. Already basically the entire budget of the Republic goes to the army, and without a significant increase in revenue there is no way to actually pay soldiers and build the "Professional Fighting Force" outlined in the bill. The only real effect is that the bill prioritizes further spending for the military over the Rangers, which angers most of the Rangers. Five quit in disgust, reportedly joining up with the Glanton Gang.

The Vice President also submits the Land Sale to Germans Act, which passes without significant opposition. Congress recognizes the need for more (white) settlers, even if they're squareheads. Prince Karl immediately arranges payment for the land on the Guadalupe River (see below), with gold and weapons shipped from Germany. The gold is immediately spent on backpay for officers and interest payments, while the weapons are distributed to the army.

The Secretary of the Treasury has his surrogates in Congress propose three acts, the Texas Currency Act, IDEA Act, and LITER Act.

The Texas Currency Act passes, but the printing press capable of producing the bills must be shipped from New Orleans which delays the Texas Dollar's introduction until later in the year.

The infrastructure bill also passes, though again without funding little progress is made. A new pier is built in Galveston, slightly increasing cotton exports, and the Camino Real is clearly marked with signage and cleared making east-west transportation along the frontier a bit easier.

The Lowering Inordinate Taxes Enhances Revenue Act narrowly fails thanks to the Houston Faction's opposition, despite lobbying by Planter Sam Seward and Galveston businessman Jim Jeffers. President Sam Houston himself worked hard to reject the bill, declaring any tax cuts or decreases in revenue to be irresponsible due to the current financial situation.

President Sam Houston proposes the Land Agency Act, which passes despite strong opposition from Lamar's camp. The law gives the President the power to appoint a Commissioner, but its provision making the Rangers its enforcement body draws scorn from the Rangers, who are too few in number to deal with their current responsibilities.

A variety of issues including filibustering, intentional delays, and a small fire in the Congressional hall delays voting on Houston's proposed Indian Nations Act. Lamar's faction and the independents are totally and virulently opposed to recognition for the Indians, and even a large of part of Houston's faction waffle on it.

General George W. Hockley gives a rousing speech to his assembled soldiers in Houston about the meaning and promise of Texas. All agree it was quite a good speech. It has the duel effects of increasing the loyalty of his men to himself and inspiring a strong belief in Texas nationalism among the army.

The General's free time is spent mostly in the Houston worshipping in the local Baptist church, and his faith is questioned by no one.

The Secretary of War and his two top generals all attempt to train their army. Most of the soldiers resent this as it takes valuable time from their farms, and are paid nothing for the honor. After the first several drills most of the army stops showing up. While indeed overall the skill of the army improves somewhat, morale drops significantly.

Secretary Rusk attempts to reorder the army to produce an equal ratio of Tejanos and Texans across the army and build camaraderie, but the Tejano men balk at abandoning their posts in San Antonio de Bexar near their homes and lands.

Army scouts map out ideal locations for forts along the Comancheria frontier, while the Secretary of War attempts to collect supplies and funds to begin construction on said forts. The extremely limited funds of the army make this a near impossibility, and enough material to build possibly a single real fort is acquired mostly from donations. Several hundred new rifles from the German land purchase however are distributed to the army, improving the supply situation significantly.

Despite anger among the Rangers for the Military Funding & Reform Bill, they continue to do their job patrolling the Comancheria frontier. There are no major incursions or raids for the first half of the year, encouraging further settlement and encroachment. Jack Coffee Hays manages to buy with personal funds two fancy new Colt Paterson revolvers, the first of their kind. Attempts by Hays to train his men are laughed off, most of these men have spent their entire adult lives living hard and fighting hard in the west and don't need no training.

Some question the loyalty of Sam Houston to Texians when he promotes a number of Tejanos in the military to fill several officer positions. Some Texians fear they will not be able to trust their own army against Mexico.

Sam Houston travels around Texas publically advocating for friendly relations with the Indians. While in most of the Republic he manages to build some support, on the frontier he is roundly booed and jeered.

Houston then takes several months to travel to America to build support for his new Republic. He hobnobs with a few officials in Washington, complimenting them on their "civilizing mission" towards the indians. Most are baffled at this sudden shift from Houston, who was most known for vigerously opposing the mistreatment of the Cherokee while a politician in the US.

Near the New Mexico border, Mexican government officials with several wagons of weapons and munition meet up with a large contingent of Comanche. They happily hand over the weapons to the Indians, who thank them and then slaughter them to a man.

Over the next several months the now heavily armed Comanches repeatedly raid and decimate northern Mexico. Hundreds of Mexicans are slaughtered and can offer little to no resistance to the Comanche. The Comanche make off with hundreds of livestock, captives, and even more guns and ammunition.

After the very successful raids, Buffalo Hump heads his band to a great meeting of the Comanche on the Red River, where bands from across the Comancheria meet to discuss their next raids, share news and trade. Buffalo Hump's newfound weapons and other wealth awes many of the Comanche, and several hundred join his band from others. He is now generally seen as the most respected Chief of the southern Comancheria. Many War Chiefs agree that Mexico presents an easy and soft target for further raids, and laugh at their stupidity and poverty.

Otherwise Buffalo Hump's band spends their time hunting buffalo and enjoying their new capitives, however one hunt is rudely interrupted by several wandering Spanish Catholic priests. The priests attempt to inform them they are to find the light of Jesus Christ, but they are instead clubbed over the head and taken to Buffalo Hump. He ponders over their fate and their worship of the Tortured Man tied to sticks.

In New Orleans, Mobile and Charleston several small shipping offices are set up operated by "Galveston Shipping Co." If anyone were to care to investigate they would discover the owner is a well known drunk on Bourbon Street and an unlikely shipping magnate.

José María Jesús Carbajal sues the Army of the Republic of Texas for their seizure of his land for his neutrality during the war, which he declares has no legal merit. It will likely not be until 1837 that the case reaches the supreme court. However, Carbajal will not sit idle and establishes a new organization of Tejanos who had their land seized. Several hundred Tejano former land owners immediately join, but they are regarded with distrust by most Texians who view them as supporters of Mexico.

The organization recieves significant clout among Tejanos when Most Rev. John Timon offers his and the Catholic Churches support.

Juan Nepomuceno Seguín also lends his support indirectly, and in a couple of speeches in San Antonio de Bexar speaks of "Tejano Solidarity." Several prominent Texians angrily demand his removal from the military.

Carbajal writes letters to many of the various rebel groups and opposition forces in Mexico, attempting to build a robust network. He succeeds, especially with liberals in northern Mexico and the Yucatan.

Tejano trust in the government erodes as various anonymous letters listing the crimes of Texians are shared amongst them. When one is discovered by a Ranger most blame Carbajal and his new organization, and some Texians call for his arrest and hangin.

This tension is amplified when several dozen Tejanos attempt to stage a protest at the capitol building in Houston, demanding their lands back. They are roughly kicked out of the building and thrown into the muddy street. They are promptly chased from Houston by a small drunken mob from the local saloon and are forced to flee back to San Antonio.

The Vice President's home is broken into in the middle of the night by several criminals, who bust a vase and then stab a house slave. The slave lives long enough to tell Lamar that his assailant had whispered "Henry Smith sends his regards" into his ear.

The good baptist preacher Zachariah N. Morrell settles with his family on the Brazos, close to Comanche territory. He attempts to organize a local militia to protect against indian incursions, and manages to get around 30 local farmers into one.

Morrell writes letters to the other dozen or so Texian baptist preachers advocating the creation of some sort of formal baptist organization for the fledgling Republic. Almost all responses are positive.

Juan Nepomuceno Seguín sends his cavalry to patrol the no mans land between near the Mexico border to hunt down the Glanton Gang. They manage to come across one of their camps, but a lookout spots them. There is a brief gunfight where two soldiers and one outlaw is shot, before the Gang escapes and rides off for Mexican territory.

Seguín also creates a separate cavalry force from local vaqueros at ranches around west Texas. Nearly 80 volunteer to join this force, providing their own horses and guns. This angers some Texian officers, who accuse him of building a seperate Tejano army.

The rich planter Sam Seward builds up clout in Houston among many congressmen, gifting whiskey and reportedly even money. His influence is seen especially among the Houston faction, who generally represent the Planters in congress.

Seward sells several slaves to fund an expansion of his property and improvements to his slaves shacks. The land purchase is incredibly cheap and nearly doubles his estate to little cost, with the real cost being having the necessary number of slaves to clear and work it, which he now lacks. He also organizes a more formal security force for his plantation, which now consists of around 35 well armed men, mostly his overseers.

The Tankawa chief attempts to organize a trade for weapons with several local Texan traders. He is able to purchase a few with buffalo hides, but not enough to truly arm his force. Otherwise he focus on training his braves to fight in a more organized fashion, to some success.

The Tonkawa recieve gifts from the Cherokee in Texas, mostly some valuable cotton. Meanwhile the Texas Cherokee send several messengers to their eastern brethren, attempting to encourage migration into Texas. Most for now are not receptive, as they are currently fighting in the courts to keep their traditional lands in Georgia and the east.

The Cherokee chief organizes the creation of several small cotton plantations in Cherokee territory owned and operated by several tribal leaders.

The Glanton Gang recruits some wandering Mexican, Indian and white outlaws into their ranks. Together with the AWOL Rangers their number rises by 15.

The Gang rides into several small towns along the southwestern frontier and burns down their small chapels and scalp the preachers, apparently just for kicks. Good Christians across the Republic everywhere call for something to be done to stop these agents of Satan.

Thanks to their new former Ranger recruits, the gang successfully ambushes a wagon carrying wages for the Texas Rangers into San Antonio. Ranger morale takes a hit, though the wages arent exactly a fortune for the Gang.

The Germans immediately start prospecting and exploring their new grant on the Guadalupe river, and several dozen Germans are sent over to begin the basic work of setting up their New Germany. Outlines of a town are surveyed, and even some construction begins. Prince Karl manages to win donations and support from an array of German aristocracy, enough to fund at least a thousand initial German settlers.

Overall around 3,550 people immigrate into the Republic, around 3,000 Anglos, 500 black slaves and 50 Germans.

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 6, 2016

• Locked thread