Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lynkericious posted:

I thought a good part of Gaius's reasons for joining Thors was because he realized that their peaceful pre-industrial existence couldn't last forever, and he wanted to get the training and experience necessary to try and learn how to protect his homeland when the time came. I thought it was actually a fairly noble sentiment, he knows that it can't last, but he wants to protect his people from those who would try and exploit them, and/or destroy their homeland.

I might not be remembering it correctly, but that's what I recall at least. I'm kind of hoping CS2 expands on Gaius a bit, I feel like he was one of the few characters to see outside the scope of his personal life from the start of the game and was probably the most mature member of the group, and they could've done some interesting things with that. It popped up once or twice in CS, like when he verbally bitchslapped Patrick. I would like to see them do more with him character wise.

I kind of think Gaius is thinking he might want to get in a high-ranking military position like Vander, so that he can have some sort of actual decision-making power when it comes to how the Highlands are treated.

I didn't do his character stuff so I don't know if that's ever mentioned, but it'd make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Endorph posted:

I kind of think Gaius is thinking he might want to get in a high-ranking military position like Vander, so that he can have some sort of actual decision-making power when it comes to how the Highlands are treated.

I didn't do his character stuff so I don't know if that's ever mentioned, but it'd make sense.

His character stuff usually involved his painting. Rean eventually asks him why he came to the academy in the first place and he answers exactly how you think he would answer.

His final painting is endearing, though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gaius paints with all the colors of the wind

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius sadly doesn't get more to do in CS2, but CS2 has a few favorites basically.

(It also does the SC thing where you have to bring specific characters to the Final Rival Battle or else they don't get to respond to stuff.)

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
I'm sure that in CS3, Gaius will turn out to be the most important character to the overall plot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Supremezero posted:

I'm sure that in CS3, Gaius will turn out to be the most important character to the overall plot.
the real protagonist of CS3: zechs vander

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
A Mueller spin-off where you are tasked with keeping Olivier in line. You are awarded BP, babysitter points, based on how successful you are at the job. It follows his life from his days at the academy up to the end of the current timeline.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Decus posted:

A Mueller spin-off where you are tasked with keeping Olivier in line. You are awarded BP, babysitter points, based on how successful you are at the job. It follows his life from his days at the academy up to the end of the current timeline.

Why would you make a game that is impossible to win?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
The bad ending is actually achieved with max BP whereas you get the canon ending for normal BP amounts.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Yoko Taro levels of completionist punishment right there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It isn't like Falcom doesn't already hate completionists.

"Okay! I did everything in this chapter! Awesome! ... wait, A Rank? What?"

"Oh, you didn't go all the way back to the starting area and talk to a random NPC during the gap between two cutscenes? Sucks for you!"

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The worst is still that book in FC you need to go back and forth through all of Zeiss for.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Zaggitz posted:

The worst is still that book in FC you need to go back and forth through all of Zeiss for.

Yeah, didn't do that, don't care. And I'd completed all the quests up until chapter 3.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

completionists deserve to be hated imo

more seriously, FC can kinda get a pass for stuff since there's such a huge margin of error for getting the highest bracer rank

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Yeah, didn't do that, don't care. And I'd completed all the quests up until chapter 3.

How's chapter 4 going, bud

Yo Cake Attack where are we at on that thread name switch

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

still at work send help

I'll try and remember this time

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Zaggitz posted:

How's chapter 4 going, bud

Didn't get to play at all yet, maybe a little tonight. Hoping to beat the game before the week's over so SC can be my Labor Day weekend game. :toot:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Meanwhile the rest of us(except that lucky fucker impatom) all have to suffer through a gameless long weekend because Trails of Cold Steel 2 releases after labor day weekend.

Ya dun goofed it xseed.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Zaggitz posted:

Meanwhile the rest of us(except that lucky fucker impatom) all have to suffer through a gameless long weekend because Trails of Cold Steel 2 releases after labor day weekend.

Ya dun goofed it xseed.

To be fair, last time they released just before a holiday, deliveries got hosed up.

Of course, that game was ToCS, and that holiday was Christmas, so not really comparable.

But it's a neat story!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Even with like 2 weeks of Christmas break I still had a hard time finishing CS before going back to work just cause of all the family stuff I had to do.

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
Man, and recently I got bummed just for dropping a few comments about Millium in CS2.
Oh well, what can be said.
I wouldn't put it past Falcom to suddenly drop some, say Gaius related plot twists. In theory it could be anyone though, or no one? It seems like they've kind of exhausted their supply of player based plot twists aside from Rean (not really sure what to say....but it's not like there was much, if any to begin with)
I'm more interested to hear about the setting for CS3, but from what I can see, since the setting of the game is quite established (kind of...they could shake things up a little with timeskip shenanigans I guess), any little detail about CS3 would probably imply a few other things, though they can easily establish a plot for CS3 without talking about the actual plot that happens.
I mean, looking at CS2 and Sky SC, the plot is basically "things happened in the first game so now they're gonna resolve it", CS3....well that's for another time.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Cake Attack posted:

completionists deserve to be hated imo

I don't need anyone to, i already do enough for myself

Also i stopped playing all of the games because i can't stop losing my mind over if i missed something or not

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
For anyone who hasn't got Cold Steel both versions are :20bux: on psn.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Also, you can apparently get a shitton of free Shining Pom bait

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/770649727658360838

I can't check because I'm EU, but I don't see why this deal shouldn't be applicable if you already own the game

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Amppelix posted:

I can't check because I'm EU, but I don't see why this deal shouldn't be applicable if you already own the game

I just got it. It works.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Well that should really help with the level 80 requirement for CS2! :v:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Looks like some of the costume DLC's on sale too.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
That was really nice of them! Might check out some costume DLC too now.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The PS Now thing happened so now pc gamers can play cold steel, but you need a ps4 controller. https://www.playstation.com/explore/playstationnow/get-started/

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 30, 2016

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The costume dlc will carry over into Cold Steel 2, by the way.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Zaggitz posted:

The costume dlc will carry over into Cold Steel 2, by the way.

But will the pom bait.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Supremezero posted:

But will the pom bait.

it will become costume dlc

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Given that the cartridge slot on my Vita appears to be dead, getting it for 20 bucks off PSN might be the best way to go. I had hit a lull with my 3DS lately anyway.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
Super happy about that sale. I've been wanting to double dip on CS for while now. Got all the casual clothes as well so playthrough #4 will feel a little different.

Don't know when that will be with CS2 AND AA6 on the way though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Laura why are you wearing your dress in the swimming pool

is this more training

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

would I actually need a save with the dlc clothes to import into cs2 or will it just read that i've bought them

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

It should read the dlc from the system, hopefully.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Unless I'm just missing some DLC, it looks like it's cheaper to get each casual clothing separately instead of getting the bundle. Odd, but I'll take it.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Unless I'm just missing some DLC, it looks like it's cheaper to get each casual clothing separately instead of getting the bundle. Odd, but I'll take it.

What you're missing is that you'll have 9 extra things in your download list you can never get rid of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Erg posted:

What you're missing is that you'll have 9 extra things in your download list you can never get rid of

SAVINGS~!:allears: