Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah it's a Jura XJ9, part of their office coffee/high capacity machine line up. We've got two in the showroom right now; we generally lease them to offices, people don't usually buy them new (New about $5,000 CAD). Made in Switzerland. They're... pretty okay? I'm surprised it's as gross as it is there; I wouldn't call them the best, but I wouldn't call them the worst either. The layered drinks seem nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Yeah I'm guessing it's probably rarely if ever been cleaned and the beans probably aren't the best either. It's a pretty big office so it probably gets dirty quickly.

It might also be me, if espresso isn't really good I'd rather just have a filter. There's a couple of good places right next to the office, I might start going out for coffee more. A good excuse to go outside now and then anyway.

bizwank posted:

Ha, a Jura. Yeah they're pretty miserable compared to most other super-autos; Swiss-engineered and manufactured instead of Italian, and the only way to get them serviced is to ship them off to the manufacturer. They're pumped out by a OEM equipment company and sold under a couple different brands; Jura and Bosch are the ones I've run into in the US. Dialing it in might get you a slightly better shot; basically set to max dosing and keep turning the grinder finer until the coffee is just dripping, then turn it back a notch or two.

Thanks for the tips, I'll see if I can make it acceptable.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Can anyone recommend a good, forgive me I'm sure I have this wrong, "Cold Brewing"... machine? Thing? Hopefully for around $75? Cheaper would be better. I can't even figure out what it does apart from brewing coffee cold but the lady and walmart looked at me like I was satan come to earth and the wife never gets what she wants for Christmas. plz send help thanks

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Grind some coffee beans put them in a big jar or a pot and dump some water in it then strain it through a paper filter next day.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

peramene posted:

Can anyone recommend a good, forgive me I'm sure I have this wrong, "Cold Brewing"... machine? Thing? Hopefully for around $75? Cheaper would be better. I can't even figure out what it does apart from brewing coffee cold but the lady and walmart looked at me like I was satan come to earth and the wife never gets what she wants for Christmas. plz send help thanks

... Christmas shopping already?

Do you already have a chemex? This is the perfect time to buy a chemex. Buy a 2 liter ball jar and a smaller jar for the filtered cold brew. I pour straight out of the jar into the chemex+filter. I pour the filtered brew into another jar with a lid (this could be done with any pour over method brewer or strainer/sock/whatever but if it's a gift, a chemex is "different" and makes good coffee for groups).

Mu Zeta posted:

Grind some coffee beans put them in a big jar or a pot and dump some water in it then strain it through a paper filter next day.

I prefer a 6g water:1g beans ratio myself.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've been using my french press for cold brew lately. I'm not sure the ratio of bean to water I'm using. I don't thin it out too much when I make iced coffee though. I'll have to measure it and see what my ratio is.

Edit: If I grind it finer, I assume I will get a stronger cold brew? Right now I use a coarse ground, but I could always aeropress it after pressing it in the french press to get all the grounds out if I use something finer.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

bizwank posted:

Chewing the beans in your mouth and washing them down with hot water would be far more pleasant and rewarding then using a blade grinder to try to make a decent espresso.

That's fine, I don't even like my coworkers that much. :downs:

I picked up some Black Cat and had it ground, I'll see if I can get this Roma to pull something worth drowning in milk foam. Thanks.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

What is the point of a Chemex? It looks nice and all, but technically I can't see any advantage over a mason jar or anything else that just holds water. For the same price you could buy some serious chemistry grade glass on amazon and maybe even a hot plate.

You could do a DIY Aeropress cold brew, and still have the ability to do some other cool stuff with the Aeropress

You could also do a stand, with a ring, separatory funnel, and a flask/any container. Best thing about this setup is you could add to it and get a buchner filtering funnel and set of erlenmeyer flasks. If you get a bunsen burner and rubber stopper you could also do a vacuum brew.

You're then also just a few steps away from extracting the caffeine crystals and testing your coffee in an IR spectrometer!

clam the FUCK down fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 16, 2016

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

William Stoner posted:

What is the point of a Chemex? It looks nice and all, but technically I can't see any advantage over a mason jar or anything else that just holds water. For the same price you could buy some serious chemistry grade glass on amazon and maybe even a hot plate.

You could do a DIY Aeropress cold brew, and still have the ability to do some other cool stuff with the Aeropress

You could also do a stand, with a ring, separatory funnel, and a flask/any container. Best thing about this setup is you could add to it and get a buchner filtering funnel and set of erlenmeyer flasks. If you get a bunsen burner and rubber stopper you could also do a vacuum brew.

You're then also just a few steps away from extracting the caffeine crystals and testing your coffee in an IR spectrometer!

A Chemex is just a pour over style coffee brewer with their own branded filters that costs more. I use it as my filter for cold brew since it holds more than my cone pour overs. I make the cold brew in a 2L jar and I store the finished product in old pasta sauce jars. I prefer to use paper filters so I don't get the fine grounds in my cup but you can use whatever you want to filter the grounds out.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

peramene posted:

You can cold brew in any vessel with a lid, but for maximum convenience we use a one-liter Mizudashi https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_sc_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Amizudashi&keywords=mizudashi&ie=UTF8&qid=1471377954

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

William Stoner posted:

I like where this is going - where would you put the puck of coffee grounds, though? Half of the aeropress?

I like cold drip but the yama towers and such are so pricey. A ghetto option might be more in my price range.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Thoughts? - Only $399US. I'm surely intrigued and my try convincing a coworker to buy this so I can watch it work.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

Archer2338 posted:

I like where this is going - where would you put the puck of coffee grounds, though? Half of the aeropress?

I like cold drip but the yama towers and such are so pricey. A ghetto option might be more in my price range.

Yeah. You cut off the bottom of the water bottle and fill it with ice, then poke a small hole in the cap for a drip. Drip goes into half of aeropress which has coffee, passes slowly through the coffee and then into a holding container.

Same idea with the chem setup, just added cool points there and some additional versatility later on if you want to get fancy with brew methods. Also I made a mistake, you would also need to purchase a Büchner Funnel, which would bring the price up.

clam the FUCK down fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 17, 2016

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

porktree posted:

Thoughts? - Only $399US. I'm surely intrigued and my try convincing a coworker to buy this so I can watch it work.

I'm incredibly skeptical of a burr grinder that small. Whole things smells like it'll break in a few weeks and be impossible to repair. For that kind of money you could get a good Bonavita brewer ($180) and a Baratza Virtuoso ($230).

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 17, 2016

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

porktree posted:

People were making fun of this earlier in the thread when it was still a Kickstarter.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I don't know if it's an endorsement, but the owner where I work (in coffee biz since 2000) was pretty intrigued by them. He's kind of a retail/showroom guy though, so I think his first thought was that they look pretty nice and they'd sell.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Scaramouche posted:

I don't know if it's an endorsement, but the owner where I work (in coffee biz since 2000) was pretty intrigued by them. He's kind of a retail/showroom guy though, so I think his first thought was that they look pretty nice and they'd sell.

I'd like to see one in 'live action'. A few years ago I was in an upscale training center and they had a similar thing, you'd see the beans get ground, dropped into a chamber and watch it infuse and brew. Took abou 2-3 minutes. An OK cup, better than most other communal solutions.

Today, I brew a vac pot in the morning, and split that with another guy. I'm thinking if this was OK, the ease and convenience of getting a single cup at a time would nice. I roast my own coffee, so that would help the quality.

I'm not typically for the all in one thing, and I think the price here is a little steep.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Any speciality shop recommendations in Miami? My girlfriend's staying near the airport there and she wants to bring back some beans for us to try given we only ever get stuff from European roasters.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

kim jong-illin posted:

Any speciality shop recommendations in Miami? My girlfriend's staying near the airport there and she wants to bring back some beans for us to try given we only ever get stuff from European roasters.

Panther Coffee. The closest to the airport is the Wynwood location, but there's been some cases of Zika coming from that area specifically, so, probably should try to hit up the Coconut Grove location instead.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

mulls posted:

You can cold brew in any vessel with a lid, but for maximum convenience we use a one-liter Mizudashi https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_sc_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Amizudashi&keywords=mizudashi&ie=UTF8&qid=1471377954

I use the taller version of that to make my lady some cold brew and it works out great. I got mine from ~Williams Sonoma~ because it was for Christmas and that made it seem more fancy.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Reinanigans posted:

Panther Coffee. The closest to the airport is the Wynwood location, but there's been some cases of Zika coming from that area specifically, so, probably should try to hit up the Coconut Grove location instead.

Seconding Panther. That shop is pretty cool. Wynwood Brewing is also around the corner which is good if you like beer.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
Just got a Bonavita 1900TS and while it makes great coffee the carafe design is the worst I've ever seen. It's impossible to get the last bit of coffee/water out of it no matter how much you invert and shake it. Renders it basically unclean able. Back to Costco it goes...

Ravens Ruse
Aug 17, 2016

I'm new.... I have no clue and frequently state the obvious
Coffee is my only vice... well... coffee and sex but I generally just drink instant at home. I do have a coffee machine, rarely use it (usually too busy.. or desperate to bother with it) but when I do I make cappuccino... and that's what I regularly order in coffee shops... cappuccino.

I'm so addicted to coffee... and sex (lol) if I don't have coffee at least once a day I get massive headaches... caffeine withdrawal.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

AriTheDog posted:

Just got a Bonavita 1900TS and while it makes great coffee the carafe design is the worst I've ever seen. It's impossible to get the last bit of coffee/water out of it no matter how much you invert and shake it. Renders it basically unclean able. Back to Costco it goes...

Bro just shove a dish towel in there to dry it out when you've scrubbed and rinsed it, this isn't rocket science.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr Cheeto posted:

Bro just shove a dish towel in there to dry it out when you've scrubbed and rinsed it, this isn't rocket science.

Yeah it sucks not to get that last dribble of coffee out but to say it's uncleanable is a little over dramatic.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost

AriTheDog posted:

I agree with you, it's a lovely design. Plus, once you have the top on the carafe it pours soooo slowly. But otherwise I like mine, and I don't really mind the little bit of water I just need to grab a paper towel to finish it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

porktree posted:

I'd like to see one in 'live action'. A few years ago I was in an upscale training center and they had a similar thing, you'd see the beans get ground, dropped into a chamber and watch it infuse and brew. Took abou 2-3 minutes. An OK cup, better than most other communal solutions.

Today, I brew a vac pot in the morning, and split that with another guy. I'm thinking if this was OK, the ease and convenience of getting a single cup at a time would nice. I roast my own coffee, so that would help the quality.

I'm not typically for the all in one thing, and I think the price here is a little steep.

I looked them up and apparently they're in the same city we are. Can't find a way to contact them for love or money though, we'd probably spring for 4-5 in the showroom but not at $399 USD. I guess it says not available until 2017 anyway so speculation is kind of pointless.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
I've been in Southeast Asia for the last few weeks and had have developed a taste for both Singaporean Kopi and Vietnamese Egg Coffee. Has anyone on this thread tried to recreate either style at home?

Info about Kopi: http://www.expatliving.sg/Wine_and_dine/bakeries_cafes/Local-coffee-in-Singapore-All-you-need-to-know-about-kopi-54431.ece

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Has anything overcome the rancilio silvia or crossland cc1 in terms of great intro espresso machines?
Need to pull the trigger and order something

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I see a lot of interest in the Silvia. We've sold 3 this month and about 4 last month. We don't carry the crossland cc1 so I have no exposure to it.

The problems with the Silvia in my mind are:
- No PID
- Relatively small boiler (300ml, 500 on the crossland)

PID can be worked around, by either learning the machine the hard way through pulling lots of shots through it, or installing an aftermarket PID (super common but extra $$$, we don't do it Bizwank might know). Boiler size less so, but if you're only doing 1 shot at a time and not steaming 2l of milk at the same time it's not that big of an issue. If you're habitually serving 2-4 people at a time it is though. I think there's a reason these machines are still around, and haven't really changed since the 80s. That said, it does wear its weaknesses on its sleeve.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I can't find it again but few pages back, one of you guys explained why it's better to steam milk before pulling a shot for certain machines -- I believe it was single boiler ones.

Why is that? Does this still apply to a thermoblock machine like my Breville 800ESXL?

When I tried it, the only difference it made was I had an annoyingly scalding shot of espresso.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Has anything overcome the rancilio silvia or crossland cc1 in terms of great intro espresso machines?
Need to pull the trigger and order something
Nope, the market is still pretty barren in that price range. Personally I'd go for the Silvia and see how you like it; you can always add a PID after the fact if you want more temp control. You'll be able to get parts or service just about anywhere, whereas the CC1 is all custom inside and supported by Bill Crossland himself, and I've got a leaking CC1 in the shop right now that was abandoned after about 2 months because we couldn't get parts for it. I'm obviously biased towards a machine's repairability and longevity, but when you're dropping that kind of coin it's something you should take into consideration.

Jan posted:

I can't find it again but few pages back, one of you guys explained why it's better to steam milk before pulling a shot for certain machines -- I believe it was single boiler ones.
Why is that? Does this still apply to a thermoblock machine like my Breville 800ESXL?
When I tried it, the only difference it made was I had an annoyingly scalding shot of espresso.
That was probably me. Two reasons for it. 1) Taste. If you brew first, your shot will be sitting there going stale while you're steaming your milk, but a pitcher of steamed milk can sit for a minute or two and lose very little body or heat. 2) Safety. Since most single-boiler machines don't run the pump while steaming, doing so effectively empties the boiler. If you don't remember to refill it before walking away or turning it off, the next time it's heated up you can stress/destroy the heating element. By brewing second it forces you to refill and cool down the boiler, thus leaving the machine in a safe and ready state for the next user.

I don't know what's going on inside the Breville, we don't work on them. They're quite a bit more complicated then your standard semi-auto though so I'd follow the manual in regards to brewing/steaming order. Your scalding espresso is probably because it didn't cool back down from steam temp before brewing though.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

bizwank posted:

I don't know what's going on inside the Breville, we don't work on them. They're quite a bit more complicated then your standard semi-auto though so I'd follow the manual in regards to brewing/steaming order. Your scalding espresso is probably because it didn't cool back down from steam temp before brewing though.

I watched this video when I was wondering WTF is a thermoblock, I found it quite interesting! I didn't pop my machine apart to confirm that this is the case, but from looking at repair pages for my model, it seems to be the 2-part one shown in the video. Since it's not an actual boiler, I guess point #2 is moot.

I'm guessing that yeah, that big chunk of metal will take a little while to cool down from steam temperature. The manual does say to extract the shot before steaming, though they are sure to mention the steamer having "auto purge" functionality to dump out the overly hot water before pulling a shot. So I guess it's supported but not recommended. I'll give it a shot with a bit more cooldown and revert to my routine if it doesn't make much of a difference.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hello, I need peeps to yell @ me about what I'm doing wrong (in general). Setup: Marietta #2 with their plastic rig.

I've been using my girlfriend's Sunbeam kettle and had no problems with it when I had some Trader Joe's coffee ground to semi-fine. I usually put in 2 table spoons per large cup of coffee (15oz mug). I've used my Hario V60 gooseneck, and it tastes fine.

I just picked up some beans and had them grind it for me (told them pourover) and made a cup. Once again, 2 tablespoons and the Sunbeam, but I think that since the grind is that much finer, it eventually clogged the filter from dripping any more after it got to about 11 or 12oz. I moved the catch cup to the sink and slowly picked up the filter and it just ripped at the bottom.

Please advise.

(note: I also have the Hario grinder, but opted to have the shop grind it because first time going there and I only got 1/2 lb)

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Phone posted:

I think that since the grind is that much finer, it eventually clogged the filter

That. Grinding it yourself is the only way to ensure you have the correct grind for what you're doing; no way to know what some random shop employee will give you when you say "pourover", and even if they use the same grinder setting as last time it may have changed since shop grinders are taken apart for cleaning pretty regularly.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yay, I can intuit things.

I know I'm not doing it by weight, but 2 tbsp per 12oz doesn't seem to be far off the mark?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's closer to 3 tablespoons for roughly 20g of ground beans. Get a scale though, they are like $12.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
10g beans per 6oz serving, then?

I do have a scale, it requires really dumb awful batteries, though. So a new one is in the mail.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I mean don't change your ratios if that's the taste you like. I like a stronger coffee flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like this coffee menu. Takes away the mystery since there seems to be a dozen different ways to make cappuccinos and lattes.