Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I've never been to San Francisco or Chipotle, but I'd like to think there would be better options than Chipotle in San Francisco. What a crazy world!
ya there are a lot better options here in SF tho for some reason the chipotles have lines out the loving door :iiam:

I went to one once and it was seriously like the smallest burrito and sucked rear end, but I've been to some at other cities and they were normal sized and ok, I think they make them purposely a lot smaller at those locations to cut costs or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.nbc-2.com/story/32881615/another-round-of-layoffs-at-chicos

Maybe Chicos? About 200 layoffs. This is the same kind of thing that happened to their former competitor Coldwater Creek. They ended up going under. Chicos may be further from the drain, but definitely circling.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
there was a good thread here. it's gone now.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I've never been to San Francisco or Chipotle, but I'd like to think there would be better options than Chipotle in San Francisco. What a crazy world!

There are like a million awesome burrito places in San Francisco but they're always half empty and Chipotle is full. Who knows.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Iron Prince posted:

there was a good thread here. it's gone now.

konami is p drainy these days.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Darth123123 posted:

Wow your a Lego corporate expert too!

nah i just spend money on lego bc im stupid

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

dreezy posted:

konami is p drainy these days.

*prorders metal gear: SURVIVE*

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

They identified that they were expanding too much into areas they didn't belong in (clothing, theme parks, etc.) and nixed a bunch of that. The LEGO parks are all run by a 3rd company now. They nixed a bunch of the larger pieces that were rarely used and expensive to mold and produce (costs millions to produce new molds for new bricks). Did a bunch of research into how kids play and stuff to develop their products/sets while using more standardized bricks to avoid those big specialized pieces.

They also were producing way too many sets at one point leading to tons of stock being left on shelves (iirc it was like 40% of LEGO stock was unsold after Christmas one year in early 2000s).

They also identified some markets (like adults) who would be eager to spend money on sets like this or this (that second one sold out at the local LEGO store here in SD in 2 hours when it hit shelves and the margin on it has to be real good imo). Also developed some lines geared towards girls which did really well.

Haven't seen the documentary and I'm sure there's other stuff, too. Cut costs and streamlined administration/inventory/etc. There's like a massive digital catalog of all bricks now for their internal development use whereas they didn't have that before.

Basically they got their poo poo together across the board.

all of this poo poo just seems like the most common sense, 101 basic poo poo of running any company ever and it blows my mind that people again and again are able to drive successful companies into the ground

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Sagebrush posted:

There are like a million awesome burrito places in San Francisco but they're always half empty and Chipotle is full. Who knows.

People like boring, bland food?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

kazr posted:

all of this poo poo just seems like the most common sense, 101 basic poo poo of running any company ever and it blows my mind that people again and again are able to drive successful companies into the ground

Yeah that's really weird someone took a company like Lego that literally no one hates and everyone loves and somehow not make a lot of money. And it took someone going "maybe let's just keep making toys" to turn a profit.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

DemeaninDemon posted:

People like boring, bland food?
Part of it is not having to roll the dice with the local tacohut. I can count the number of times when I order carne asada tacos and they have the loving temerity to call some grey-rear end boiled bistek carne asada.

Chipotopotolio may be blah, but it's standardized blah.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

FilthyImp posted:

Part of it is not having to roll the dice with the local tacohut. I can count the number of times when I order carne asada tacos and they have the loving temerity to call some grey-rear end boiled bistek carne asada.

Chipotopotolio may be blah, but it's standardized blah.

where the gently caress do you live where it costs more than $1.50 to roll the dice on some local taqueria or food truck poo poo? sure, occasionally it sucks, but it's still better than your $9 burrito at chipotle

E: gently caress standardization is the point of this post :siren: IT IS NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK :siren:

Iron Prince has a new favorite as of 06:06 on Aug 31, 2016

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
If nobody around the taco truck is speaking Spanish it probably sucks. At least that's my experience.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
went to best buy, they never have games in stock that arent the most popular titles, nothing is in alphabetical order. they have too many people on staff, standing around. the wire/switcher i want cost 70 more dollars than on amazon at worst

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Is there really anything Kmart/Sears can do to save itself? When your stores are half-empty depressing wastelands and you betray the things that make you dependable in the public's eyes (moving tool production to China and taking away lifetime warrantees) people tend to write you off as "such a shame, really".

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Probably not, but I'm sure right now some marketing company is getting paid a ton to suggest cleaning up the store a little, lessening inventory, and then announcing The All New Kmart.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Relin posted:

went to best buy, they never have games in stock that arent the most popular titles, nothing is in alphabetical order. they have too many people on staff, standing around. the wire/switcher i want cost 70 more dollars than on amazon at worst

Has Best Buy ditched their DVD sections in other store fronts? The one near me got rid of it (put 2-3 'bargain bins' instead) and expanded the Geek Squad space.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

kazr posted:

It's because business culture has at its core this weird, overwhelming urge to expand and diversify regardless of if the market will bear it. Just making profit year over year isn't ever enough

Justin Tyme posted:

Is there really anything Kmart/Sears can do to save itself? When your stores are half-empty depressing wastelands and you betray the things that make you dependable in the public's eyes (moving tool production to China and taking away lifetime warrantees) people tend to write you off as "such a shame, really".
I can't speak for KMart because I have no loving idea why they stopped giving a poo poo about their stores a decade ago. But Sears took their core strengths (their Craftsman tool line, their reputation for dependability, mail order supremacy, excellent customer service) and just pissed it all away thanks to a Ayn Rand worshiping CEO. It's amazing how much of a retail titan Sears was in my youth and how quickly it became a joke under bad management. Their mail order empire was so strong, for so many years that if they had any foresight at all they could have been what Amazon is today.

Hail Mr. Satan! has a new favorite as of 11:14 on Aug 31, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I don't really get mad about bad CEOs. I get mad when they're terrible and still make boatloads of money while doing it. If I hosed up at Sears and cost them $1,000 worth of business I'd be fired. But this buttnut can do that except in the eight figures and be handsomely rewarded for it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Little Caesars is odd because like others I remember them being everywhere with stand-alone stores and K-Mart locations, and quirky ads and then they just disappeared. Then they came back with the Hot & Ready crap.

Looking on Wikipedia it doesn't look like they ever went away. Maybe they just stopped advertising for awhile and I started buying better pizza. They're the 3rd biggest pizza chain in the country so somebody is still eating it.

Does this ever actually work? I mean, I know some companies can break the law, bank the profit, and come out ahead even after they're caught and fined (i.e. banks). But fudging payroll is tricky because you get to pay ALL the money back, plus legal costs, plus punitive fines from every labor board in every state you're in, and maybe even have fun dealing with the IRS. Even lovely Sears knows to pay it's employees for their hours worked.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

darkhand posted:

Yeah that's really weird someone took a company like Lego that literally no one hates and everyone loves and somehow not make a lot of money. And it took someone going "maybe let's just keep making toys" to turn a profit.

The same happened to Blockbuster. We all know the story about how they turned down an offer to buy Netflix for pocket change, but even when Netflix had taken off there was still a huge demand for rental locations (and still is). Which they screwed up when the former CEO of 7/11 came on and swore that Blockbuster's future was to sell less movies and more snacks and movie posters. They subsequently lost all of their stock value in 18 months

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Also that CEO wanted to kill Blockbuster Online, even though at that point it was very successful

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Counterpoint, there was nothing Blockbuster could have done to save themselves. Redbox killed them as much as Netflix. I know Blockbuster tried their own kiosks, but that wasn't even owned by them (they leased their name to a competitor). The only way they could have survived would be to go balls deep into kiosks, which probably would have required a bankruptcy to get out of thousands of store leases. And all that would have done is create a much smaller, less influential company that's an afterthought on your trip to K-mart.

And their mail order DVD's would have failed because even Netflix knew that business wasn't sustainable once internet speeds improved.

The last Blockbuster I had a membership at, had a tanning business in the back. That was probably as good a synergy as you were going to find (more foot traffic in the winter, you can think about what movie you want while you tan).

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

darkhand posted:

Because the (bad) CEO wanted to become the next Disney. Disney is a brand that hands their hands in EVERYTHING (movies/theme parks/cartoons/merch) and they make a poo poo ton of money off that. The difference is that Disney had a clear vision and has grown organically over the decades to get to the point where they are now while Lego went all in in a short amount of time. This caused them to loose sight of the core business model, expand and spend money way too quickly with little return, and in general just kind of flounder around.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

F-91W

https://www.amazon.com/Casio-F91W-1-Classic-Resin-Digital/dp/B000GAWSDG

Ten bucks, stopwatch and alarm, classic terrorist style. Hi NSA.

Yep, that's the one. I wish the band was less awful but for $10 it is pretty amazing.

DemeaninDemon posted:

If nobody around the taco truck is speaking Spanish it probably sucks. At least that's my experience.

Where I live there are tons of El Salvadorians and Guatemalans who run "Mexican" restaurants and food trucks. They are generally pretty awful and I wish they would realize that no-one wants a taco in a 1/4" thick tortilla. It's very frustrating and the few decent taco trucks are like gems in a wilderness of gray meat and doughy tortillas.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Krispy Kareem posted:

Does this ever actually work? I mean, I know some companies can break the law, bank the profit, and come out ahead even after they're caught and fined (i.e. banks). But fudging payroll is tricky because you get to pay ALL the money back, plus legal costs, plus punitive fines from every labor board in every state you're in, and maybe even have fun dealing with the IRS. Even lovely Sears knows to pay it's employees for their hours worked.

My assumption is that this type of stuff is being done by scumbag store owners. No one "owns" a Sears (except Lampert lol) but some guy does own a local Chipotle's. So there is immense pressure to gently caress worker's on money owed to them, whereas there isn't such an incentive for a local Sears to do it.

I was just reading yesterday about the Wahlburger's in Coney Island stealing wages and a few months ago Donnie Wahlberg came in and gave a $3,000 tip and the owner stole it.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

My assumption is that this type of stuff is being done by scumbag store owners. No one "owns" a Sears (except Lampert lol) but some guy does own a local Chipotle's. So there is immense pressure to gently caress worker's on money owed to them, whereas there isn't such an incentive for a local Sears to do it.

I was just reading yesterday about the Wahlburger's in Coney Island stealing wages and a few months ago Donnie Wahlberg came in and gave a $3,000 tip and the owner stole it.

I used to work at Chipotle and Chipotle doesn't franchise. No individual owns the Chipotole building.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Nirvikalpa posted:

I used to work at Chipotle and Chipotle doesn't franchise. No individual owns the Chipotole building.

Their website even says they don't franchise but please we shouldn't let facts get in the way of a Something Awful thread.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

I have never worked in a place that pooled tips, so I cannot speak for it, but I dislike on principle managers getting a cut of anyone's tips.

Krispy Kareem posted:

It also highlight the really lovely thing some of these places like to do which is having you clock out and continue working. Don't think Chipotle is the only one doing this. Also, remember, they do this for short term profits. No one in a executive position looks at long term anything anymore.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sometimes the big corporations do it. I think Amazon got away with making employees clock out and then spend 20 minutes in a security line before leaving the building. It sounds like they thought they found a loophole where you have to wait unpaid until your work is signed off on (and by the way do this and that as well while you're waiting).

More than likely they created ambiguous rules and then instituted quotas and targets that are impossible to meet unless managers break the law. We'll probably see more of this since restaurants can't work their 25k/year managers 70 hours a week without paying them OT and can't give their ever shrinking pool of labor more than 30 hours/week.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
There's something about running a small store or restaurant that makes people terrible.

I worked at a small outdoor store, and the owner would take any swag left by brand representatives for employees, slap a sticker on it, and sell it.

You best hope that the friendly brand rep put a lovely hat directly in your sweaty hand, otherwise that thing's gone.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Nirvikalpa posted:

I figured due to their relationship with McDonald's that they franchised. My fault.

But I still doubt corporate Chipotle headquarters tells store managers to cut wages. I'm guessing the store manager gets bonuses for keeping costs low and wages are incorporated into that, so in turn they gently caress people out of money.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
In what loving world are hipsters eating at any chain let alone Chipotle or is this another example of goons calling everyone a hipster?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Irradiation posted:

In what loving world are hipsters eating at any chain let alone Chipotle or is this another example of goons calling everyone a hipster?

Chipotle seemed to garner (and probably encourage) a reputation as "alt-fast food," despite being more full of sodium than table salt, which dragged the hipster term along. I know more white girls and soccer moms who are obsessed with Chipotle than anything resembling hipsters though.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Salt is good and makes things taste good though?

The real crime is how poorly their burritos are constructed. A proper burrito should be far longer then it is thick and have the fillings properly mixed/layered. Not a loving football where you end up with like a quarter of it that is all rice.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a few months ago Donnie Wahlberg came in and gave a $3,000 tip and the owner stole it.

PassTheRemote posted:

I have never worked in a place that pooled tips, so I cannot speak for it, but I dislike on principle managers getting a cut of anyone's tips.

this is hella illegal under the Fair Labor Standards Act, just in case anyone sees this and is currently in a situation like this

Managers can take your tips and put them in a tip pool but they can't take a cut of it.

bongwizzard posted:

The real crime is how poorly their burritos are constructed. A proper burrito should be far longer then it is thick and have the fillings properly mixed/layered. Not a loving football where you end up with like a quarter of it that is all rice.

:agreed:

Moridin920 has a new favorite as of 17:18 on Aug 31, 2016

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
Goons think chipotle is for hipsters because they're mostly aging, pasty computer janitors who think that anything specifically marketed as faux-quality like chipotle is "for hipsters" but chipotle is far too massive, lovely, and corporate to qualify. The fact that goons are so convinced of this is proof of the power of their marketing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

DemeaninDemon posted:

Characteristics of a good taco truck:

Faded/Hand painted artwork (usually of a big titty girl serving food or making tortillas. Bonus points if the gal is in folkloric dress and has her hair in braids)
Hand painted items and prices (bonus if the price has a piece of paper taped over the dollar amount to indicate a price change. Super Bonus if they have a board up with those letters you plop into place like crappy diners)
Grab-as-you-go sodas and beer in the front, surrounded by crushed ice.
A string of christmaslights to serve as nighttime illumination for guests.
Grody white plastic chairs (no tables)
Two sauces (red/habanero, green), limes, cilantro on a stand off to the side or directly by the sodas.
Parked in a location where pedestrians have easy access but people driving have to get creative to park.
* NO BURRITOS

two forty posted:

far too massive, lovely, and corporate to qualify
but Whole Foods. :smug:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
A bunch of hipsters around here tried to get into the food truck game and they got their poo poo wrecked by all the established ones and then whined and complained it was pretty hilarious.

I mean yeah they got their tires slashed and poo poo by the competition lmao but gently caress 'em that's the game son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

two forty posted:

Goons think chipotle is for hipsters because they're mostly aging, pasty computer janitors who think that anything specifically marketed as faux-quality like chipotle is "for hipsters" but chipotle is far too massive, lovely, and corporate to qualify. The fact that goons are so convinced of this is proof of the power of their marketing.
:agreed:

"hipster" is also just a dumb overused term period, they certainly exist (i've spent too long in eugene/p-town) but really fairly rare and aren't more than 5% of chipotle go-ers. like the other goon said, it's mostly soccer moms and white girls and poo poo like that.