Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Eonwe posted:

bayoneting people owns

Forgetting you don't have a bayonet and stopping to swing a club does not own, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

just lol at planes heading towards my flak cannon in a straight line

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I wish the camera was pulled up a smidge when you are on the horse, at times your model can completely obfuscate what you are aiming at and the gun on the horse isn't exactly something you can pop off randomly with.

That said though, horses loving own.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Besides the weird display bugs the beta is pretty fun. The only thing getting to me are how badly prepared any team is to take out tanks unless you are full assaults with rocket guns. Some guy in a land ship just parked on C and locked it down for half a game tonight. The smart thing to do would be to go anywhere else, but with no death penalty I just kept throwing grenades at him and laying down trip mines and resupplying myself until someone K bulleted the tank to death.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I tried to figure out more stuff with defense points. I still have never seen a defense bonus for kills. So no clue about that. But if you are a squad leader and set a point you own to defend, a timer will appear. Its 60 seconds and at the end of it you get 300 points. The odd thing is that it doesn't start ticking down again unless you set a new command and then set the command order back to the point your on and then you can get another +300 defense bonus.

All in all defending is a fools errand.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ethanol posted:

just lol at planes heading towards my flak cannon in a straight line

I know, this is the best since Flak in BF1942. I got so good with that stuff back then that could defend a carrier all alone, just jumping from seat to seat.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Are you able to level up as your own class for more unlocks?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I ran into some dude, we danced around missing all our shots, and then I beat him to death with a club. All in all, a good time.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I don't know if this is true, but if ribbons only make progress when they're selected as "tracked" I'll be so upset. A lot of fun after playing tons of hours of BF4 was chasing random ribbons. Now I can track a single one that makes progress?

Sincerely hoping it's just beta weirdness and not a 'feature.'

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
when does the open beta open? like 31st as in midnight orrrrr some weird time where people who aren't me live

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
wait is this an open beta like BF4 had one or do i need to preorder because I thought it was like the BF4 one

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

Are you able to level up as your own class for more unlocks?

There's basic leveling that seems to get you money I guess? And then there's class leveling for stuff like weapons and equipment. Progression systems are retarded.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

ShineDog posted:

You know what I miss from shooters? Each faction having a meaningfully different arsenal. It was great. Russians have this, Americans have this, Germans have this.

The giant shared gun collection is the standard now and it's poo poo.

Actually agreed but also don't care too much.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

the german weapons were always the best in every game though

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

verbal enema posted:

wait is this an open beta like BF4 had one or do i need to preorder because I thought it was like the BF4 one

Sign up for the Insider poo poo, you'll get in. I did, and when I was Assault, I thought I had to sneak round the tank to drop a dynamite pack.

ethanol posted:

the german weapons were always the best in every game though

Blame whoever designed the MP40.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
drat horseless carriages were dangerous back then

http://i.imgur.com/OVAxyRu.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/iJRjgbw.gifv

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Medic is the best class.

Landships are the worst because no one can drive them right.

Bring Back jhadi horses.

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike
Game is good, make no mistake, but it feels like it falls somewhere between 1942 and battlefield 3-4 on the fun factor. Its no wake island.

If its WWI, were there really so many automatic guns in everyone's hands? I was expecting slightly slower paced combat, more bolt action rifles.
I guess they have to appease the children these days with huge explosions and instant action, every gun shooting massive tracers.

Its too bad there is not a classic game mode where things are slowed down a bit (example, actually having to get in a jeep and drive a bit to get to the action or point). I understand some people want non-stop drop your panties action.

Maybe hardcore mode will feel better :confused:

Vulcan fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 31, 2016

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I can't describe how incredible it is to put on the heavy armor and then get a horse. I am a proud English knight in (mostly) shining armor, striking down the turkish menace with my blessed saber.

It's fantastic seeing snipers panic as you charge at them, their shots barely doing any damage.

Cavalry is just really fun in general.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
horses own
bayonets own
canister shots on light tanks own

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011

Dezztroy posted:

I can't describe how incredible it is to put on the heavy armor and then get a horse. I am a proud English knight in (mostly) shining armor, striking down the turkish menace with my blessed saber.

It's fantastic seeing snipers panic as you charge at them, their shots barely doing any damage.

Cavalry is just really fun in general.

Where do you get the armor at and also where are these guys getting flamethrowers from?

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Ra-amun posted:

Where do you get the armor at and also where are these guys getting flamethrowers from?

There are boxes at certain points with those weapons in them that you can pick up. Think hero classes in Battlefront. I know the armored machine gun pickup is at point F. Not sure which point has the flamethrower though.. I think maybe B.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

So I tried to figure out more stuff with defense points. I still have never seen a defense bonus for kills. So no clue about that. But if you are a squad leader and set a point you own to defend, a timer will appear. Its 60 seconds and at the end of it you get 300 points. The odd thing is that it doesn't start ticking down again unless you set a new command and then set the command order back to the point your on and then you can get another +300 defense bonus.

All in all defending is a fools errand.

I get defensive bonuses all the time, bonus zone us 2x the cap radius. A single def kill can be worth more than 400 points easy so uh yeah your still wrong. But keep on not defending since it's more easy wins for me and my teams. The bonus extends even farther with squad orders.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Light tank ownage

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

afkmacro posted:

Light tank ownage

lol light tanks are so awesome

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

xyigx posted:

I get defensive bonuses all the time, bonus zone us 2x the cap radius. A single def kill can be worth more than 400 points easy so uh yeah your still wrong. But keep on not defending since it's more easy wins for me and my teams. The bonus extends even farther with squad orders.

Lol this guy defends instead of running laps in a land shark.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
this game is alright for a beta but lol tanks are very overpowered and the open map they used attracts snipers like flies. unfortunately this game is objectively worse than Hardline for a number of reasons, the biggest one being there is no hotwire

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Did Hardline flop just as hard as Battlefront?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 31, 2016

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

i dont like the new conquest rules and this map is too unfocused, but otherwise this game indeed owns

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

Lol this guy wins games instead of trying to kd whore and complaining about his score.

Fixed that for you.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Time limit for Conquest needs to be way longer. I've not had a single match end due to score, it's always running out of time.

Ra-amun posted:

Heavy armor + MG spawns at objective F, flamethrower is at objective B, AT rifle is at objective E.

Antoine Silvere posted:

this game is alright for a beta but lol tanks are very overpowered

Nah, people are just terrible at fighting tanks. Support can wreck tanks in seconds if they get close enough due to having infinite grenades.

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 31, 2016

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Vulcan posted:

Game is good, make no mistake, but it feels like it falls somewhere between 1942 and battlefield 3-4 on the fun factor. Its no wake island.

If its WWI, were there really so many automatic guns in everyone's hands? I was expecting slightly slower paced combat, more bolt action rifles.
I guess they have to appease the children these days with huge explosions and instant action, every gun shooting massive tracers.

Its too bad there is not a classic game mode where things are slowed down a bit (example, actually having to get in a jeep and drive a bit to get to the action or point). I understand some people want non-stop drop your panties action.

Way I see it is that there are hundreds of cool guns out there that will never get used in games if you were to be super strict about the time period. Verdun's $10 on Steam right now if you want something super faithful.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is the AT Rifle in Rush?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I played and like it earlier but I got 30 very badly fluctuating frames at modest settings on a 970. I was confused until I just learned 42% render scale is native. What the Christ DICE? Why would you do that. I could've said gently caress the game because of that

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

RBX posted:

I played and like it earlier but I got 30 very badly fluctuating frames at modest settings on a 970. I was confused until I just learned 42% render scale is native. What the Christ DICE? Why would you do that. I could've said gently caress the game because of that

Maybe it's because it's a beta so there's gonna be bugs

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Is there any particular technique to using the planes anti-infantry bombs? I can never seem to hit anything with them, so I'm not sure I'm even aiming at the right place or releasing at the right time. There doesn't even seem to be any sort of sound or visual effect of them going off, at least for the pilot, so I can't even tell when they hit.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Vulcan posted:

The tracers are there for gameplay reasons so you can get feedback on where you're shooting, so you don't have to spend twenty minutes zeroing your rifle sights for the ultimate tacticlol experience.

When has Battlefield ever had anything other than "non-stop action"?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I played one rounds so far and I spent more time driving around in a jeep thing honking the horn trying to run fools over. A+ would do again.

I use it to signal a pubbies doom as I launch off a sand dune. That horn is rad as gently caress, like a little WW1 mass effect reaper.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Aug 31, 2016

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
The canister round on the light tank is BF3 canister shell all over again, except this time you don't even need to leave the tank to repair. :dice:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Is there any particular technique to using the planes anti-infantry bombs? I can never seem to hit anything with them, so I'm not sure I'm even aiming at the right place or releasing at the right time. There doesn't even seem to be any sort of sound or visual effect of them going off, at least for the pilot, so I can't even tell when they hit.

They scatter over a fairly large radius so go for low altitude bombing runs on antenna. I saw someone racking up multikills just strafing train and antenna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

So there may be an unconfirmed bug with class progression. A bunch of people are reporting that it may be the case that when you play match on a server, any following match will not count to class progression, which is why nobody has Rocket Guns and tanks are tearing poo poo up.

Somewhat related, I finally got the Benet Mercie with a scope and it finally made LMGs useful to me. The lovely irons on the LMGs made it hard to tell where my rounds were going, but the scope makes it easier which is a godsend.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 31, 2016