Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

FISHMANPET posted:

Why would you want to do that exactly? That swarm of bots going along a single path is going to backup every roboport in range as they'll all be recharging at once, rather than having it spread out.

I just don't like the idea of my guys getting sent out every tick to do poo poo. I like watching the big line fly through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Ratzap posted:

Don't keep as much acid. You really do not need 10,000 as a buffer. Disconnect input to the acid storage and let the production drain it down then remove some tanks. 1 tank should be plenty and you'll want to divert some sulfur to explosive production (for cluster grenades) but it won't take much.
This is also a good example of how consumers of fluid act like pumps into themselves. Having a thirsty consumer of a fluid upstream (such as a sulfur factory) can dramatically cut the downstream flow.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cosmik Debris posted:

I just don't like the idea of my guys getting sent out every tick to do poo poo. I like watching the big line fly through.
Then nuke the roboport you hippy.

Philosophically, batching is usually a last resort. You batch processes when there's no other choice. A lack of capacity, the nature of the process, so on.

In Factorio any lack of capacity is your own personal fault because its fairly cheap to build new belts or robots or what have you until everything moves continuous like the Lean god intended.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
Doesn't it waste their capacity though if a robot that can carry multiple things keeps getting assigned to carry 1 thing every time an item is removed from a requester chest?

Shouldn't they ideally trigger a request when X items have been removed, where X is the maximum capacity of a robot?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Cosmik Debris posted:

Doesn't it waste their capacity though if a robot that can carry multiple things keeps getting assigned to carry 1 thing every time an item is removed from a requester chest?

why is it even an issue man I always have like 1000 logistic bots, 1 single bot wasting it's time with 1 item isn't a big deal. Especially due to the fact I don't keep items that are used together on opposite sides of the factory. Everything is centralized so even if a bot is carrying 1 single item, it takes less than 30 seconds.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It's real dumb and there's no good reason to do this, but I GUESS you could:
Have your requestor chest that requests 1000 steel.
Put 2000 steel in it. Have an inserter connected to the chest with circuit wire and have it only pull items from the box when it has more than 1000 steel.
Put another inserter with another chest. Connect it to your requestor chest with circuit wire, and have it pull everything out if the requestor chest has less than 1000 steel.
Put a chain of inserters and chests so the second chest can empty back into your first chest when the requestor chest is over 1000.

So basically you have 1000 dead steel moving around to "trick" the requestor chest. It's really dumb and you really shouldn't do it.

E: They always carry a full load, which is 4 (unless the container they're pulling from has less than 4 of the item in question) Try this:
Pick something you have a lot of in your logistics network that has stacks of 50 (coal or ore, not plate or steel). Put a requestor chest and request 50 items. Wait and see how many get scheduled for delivery. It's not 50, it's 52. Because it delivers 13 full loads, not 12 full loads and one half empty loads. Your bots aren't buzzing around carrying single items.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 31, 2016

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Cosmik Debris posted:

Shouldn't they ideally trigger a request when X items have been removed, where X is the maximum capacity of a robot?

My impression has been that bots seem to go pick up their inventory limit of whatever material and then drop it off, often leading to requester chests that are 2-4 items over their request limit.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

zedprime posted:

Sulfuric use is vanishingly small, and sulfur in general is a constant demand beside weapons and accumulators depending how you handle power gen capacity. I usually limit acid production to a few hundred buffer in a tank, and let sulfur build in a chest when plastic is experiencing a downtick.

8 blue science factories is like 2 battery plants, which is 1 sulfuric acid per second. For comparison, a sulfuric acid plant running flat out is 6.25 sulfuric acid per second. So you have room for like a couple more battery plants for accumulators or power armor gear, and 100 assembler 3s putting together blue circuits. On the one sulfuric acid plant. Or a total of 6 battery plants and 75+ blue circuit assemblers.

Bleh, thanks.I'll cut down the sulfuric acid tanks and put a circuit limit on the one left when I get home.

These ratios are things I wish I had a better grasp on, the answer of "how much production can one sulfuric acid plant support" would have been great to know before I built 10ku buffer for it.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

LonsomeSon posted:

My impression has been that bots seem to go pick up their inventory limit of whatever material and then drop it off, often leading to requester chests that are 2-4 items over their request limit.

oh ok that makes more sense then

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Bleh, thanks.I'll cut down the sulfuric acid tanks and put a circuit limit on the one left when I get home.

These ratios are things I wish I had a better grasp on, the answer of "how much production can one sulfuric acid plant support" would have been great to know before I built 10ku buffer for it.

All the information is available for you in game:
- Sulfuric acid takes 5 sulfur + water -> 5 Sulfuric acid in 1 second
- Chem plants have a crafting speed of 1.25, so that's 5 acid in 0.8 seconds (6.25/s)

OK, but how many sulfur plants do you need to support that?
- Base recipe: 3 petro gas + water -> 2 Sulfur in 1 second
- At 1.25x crafting speed, that's 2 sulfur in 0.8 seconds (2.5/s)
- The sulfuric acid plant needs 6.25 sulfur/s, so slap down 3 sulfur plants (7.5/s) to feed that one sulfuric acid plant with a bunch of sulfur left over, perhaps for making explosives (which needs 0.25/sec)
- Or you could limit it to 2 sulfur plants (5/s) and get 5 acid / sec. The 1 sulfur : 1 sulfuric acid ratio in the acid recipe makes it really easy to scale as needed.

So what can you do with 6.25 sulfuric acid per second?
- Each battery factory (in a chem plant!) needs 2 acid / 4 sec, or 0.5/sec. I have a quite neat-looking blueprint for a 2 battery/sec layout that uses 2 sulfur plants : 1 sulfuric acid plant. Throw in another sulfur plant and 4 more battery plants and you get 3 battery/sec easily.
- Each processing unit needs 0.5 acid / 15 sec (0.03/sec), or 0.5 acid / 20 sec if you're using Assembling machine 2s and 0.5 acid / 12 sec if you're using Assembling machine 3s.

You really don't need a lot of sulfuric acid if you aren't crafting multiple batteries per second or an obscene number of processing units.

Of course, you can avoid all this and just use a tool like Factoratio or Factorio Production Planner.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 31, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I suppose I meant more that I don't have a head or the attention span for the numbers, rather than their lack of availability :v: Also my lack of immediate knowledge of what each item is an ingredient for--I was telling myself "what if sulfuric acid is used in a lot of poo poo", when it turns out it's only good for batteries in bulk and in small amounts for processors.

Thanks for the explanations, though. I'll try to focus more on that stuff in the future. Some ten years ago I would have been a loving wizard at mathy stuff like this :(

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 31, 2016

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

I suppose I meant more that I don't have a head or the attention span for the numbers, rather than their lack of availability :v:

Thanks for the explanations, though. I'll try to focus more on that stuff in the future. Some ten years ago I would have been a loving wizard at mathy stuff like this :(

Don't worry about it too much. It's good to have a general idea of ratios in the game (like that a sulfuric acid plant will make a fuckton of acid) but sitting down and doing the math is tedious. Usually I'll start off doing that for a factory, and then it becomes "Oh I need to mass produce <something>, I'll put one assembler here and this there..." and just slap things down with abandon.

What I'm trying to say is there's nothing wrong with caring about the numbers or not, but at some point it helps to have a general idea so you can figure out why you have bottlenecks in your factory.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Before I left for work I resolved to go find more oil to hook up, on the line of thinking that "I have enough petroleum to fully support either sulfur production or plastic production but not both, and I don't have enough incoming oil to support more refineries for more petroleum, so MORE OIL" which would solve the bottleneck just as well, I reckon. But yeah I can certainly take acid production offline for a long time at this point, now that I have a better idea what it's used for and in what quantities.

I only ever seem to remember particular ratios, for some reason. I always remember 1 pump->14 boilers->10 engines, 2 copper cable->3 green circuit, and 1 copper cable->8 red circuit, for example.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I also need to work out how to do train junctions. My loop is getting rather large and unwieldy, and some trains certainly don't need to travel all of it. So I'll probably be spending part of tonight having a goddamn fit over how to do the signaling :v:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I only ever worry about ratios on a set of core material sinks. That is, red science, green science, and blue science in the first wave, and rocket parts in the second wave. To that end I have spreadsheets I use set up for the key bottlenecks in operating 5 red science assemblers, 6 green science assemblers, and 8 blue science, as well as some consumption numbers for rocket parts for the second wave.

I once started to do the math to perfectly ratio out what I would want for building materials, but its such an easy thing to eyeball because generally one assembler making belts or a couple making solar panels or accumulators or whatnot makes it faster than I can consume, so I just make sure there's a full bus of essentials and carry on. It lives on next to the bigger deal math for the science packs, but its more of a benchmark if I look and see golly this factory isn't working quite right. By the time you are talking about power armor gear, its a temporary sink that you'll demolish before you blink so even if its starved who cares.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Any particular reason you say 5, 6, and 8 assemblers for red green and blue? Something about their consumption rates or production speeds?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
5-6-12 is actually the better ratio for science. While there are a variety of recipies with varying levels of needs for specific types of science, aiming for recipies that require equal amounts of each is a good baseline. So red science takes 5 seconds per pack, green 6 seconds, and blue science 12. So if you want 1 item/second, you want 5-6-12. And when you get to purple, a single assembler with a T1 speed module in it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ah, that makes more sense. I thought blue were consumed more slowly than green and red when zedprime said 5-6-8.

New note to self on list, redesign the science labs to adhere to this ratio too

God drat this game, I spend way too much time on it every time i dive in :arghfist::saddowns:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ciaphas posted:

Any particular reason you say 5, 6, and 8 assemblers for red green and blue? Something about their consumption rates or production speeds?
That's the lowest common denominator for equal production of each if red and green are still in outdated assembler 1s. Basically my goal for spinning up blue.

5-6-12 is the equal production ratio when everything is in assembler 2 or assembler 3.

e. I am probably a bad factorio player because I take so long in replacing assembler 1s that don't make green circuits.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 31, 2016

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah I pretty much build the minimum number of Assembler Is to allow me to build the IIs.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Ciaphas posted:

I also need to work out how to do train junctions. My loop is getting rather large and unwieldy, and some trains certainly don't need to travel all of it. So I'll probably be spending part of tonight having a goddamn fit over how to do the signaling :v:

You're using 2 rails for bi-directional trains, you have plastic and therefore red circuits -> blueprints so you have all the parts. You just need to make 2 specimen junctions and blueprint them. Even if you don't have robots yet, you can use the blueprint ghost as a well, blueprint, to lay things out yourself. If you struggle with the signals, use the examples from the rail gallery (http://imgur.com/a/CxXxd) to get it right.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

FISHMANPET posted:

Here's pictures of the basic blueprints if you want to import them "manually"
http://imgur.com/IgBLqYI
http://imgur.com/9HGVtTH

And be careful with chain signals in your roundabout, I did that and ended up with occasional deadlock when trains did stupid things, I ended up putting regular signals on the inside of the roundabout instead
https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15241&p=103823#p103823

Just quoting myself for some good clear pictures of junctions

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks for the gallery link. When I get home if things in the factory are stable I'll probably just lay down some track and a couple engines totally separate from my rail line, put down signals, and see how the lights change as I move the engines.

It seems like just putting signals down on both tracks right after a split and right before a join would cover everything, but obviously not else chain signals wouldn't be a thing.

(edit) And of course I can't get to the factorio forums at work :argh:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Basically, when you are placing a signal, you want to pay attention to the train ghost it makes. This will give you a rough idea of where to place the signal BEHIND that signal. As in, if the signal you are placing is red, this is where a train would be on the tracks that it is stopping. Placing a signal before that will ensure that a single stop somewhere will not make multiple signals red.

If you apply this to your junctions, you can then see when and how one signal being red (because a train is in the block ahead) will make a different signal red, causing a block.

Or you can just run trains, watch them for a while and add/delete/move signals as you find inefficiencies.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Decided to take an early out, since nothing's going on at work today, and well

i am absolutely confident that this will not kill nor maim anyone

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
You could have some issues unless you drop in some chain signals at the entry lines there.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
Here's a nice refinery layout with room for beacons:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Slickdrac posted:

You could have some issues unless you drop in some chain signals at the entry lines there.

I'm gonna leave it until there's an issue, tbh, because I want to SEE it happen to better understand the whys and wherefores

Unless I get time to make a demonstration junction for myself and I got too many other things to do to be bothered~

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

My god first it was the petroleum, now it's the green circuits

At least those are easy to expand, I suppose

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

My god first it was the petroleum, now it's the green circuits

At least those are easy to expand, I suppose

You say that, and then suddenly you find you've run out of copper and iron. :v:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
the thing about ratios is that worrying about them presupposes that the assemblers are expensive
they are fuckin cheap plop down whatever and get on with it!!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ciaphas posted:

I'm gonna leave it until there's an issue, tbh, because I want to SEE it happen to better understand the whys and wherefores

Unless I get time to make a demonstration junction for myself and I got too many other things to do to be bothered~

Three ways are slightly harder to gridlock to leave evidence. It might end up being fine in a not so dense neighborhood. Depending how many trains could end up in one direction compared to the other you might lock, but for all but the most malevolent design you will probably just have extra traffic jams depending on how well behaved traffic is downstream in any given direction.

Lets look at an example of the literal worst way to build a three way

A three way intersection only services a precariously placed station on one of the directions. Trains can't wait to go and are lining up by the droves. One makes it to the station, one occupies the block just before which happens to be mid intersection, and one occupies the block before the intersection.

Oh no! A lack of chain signals shows its face. The train in the top block can't enter the intersection to vacate the top block. The train in the intersection can't vacate the intersection block because its on track to the top block. Besides completely halting traffic to the top station and back, anybody who wants to avoid this mess and go south can't because that third train is already in the way. The grid is locked and you must take manual control.

Chain signals make trains more predictably dumb

If you put some chain signals at the entrance to the intersection, they take a look and say hey, are there any red lights in there? If so, think twice. In a branch they'll turn blue if a train is fine to go in one direction, but would be stopped in the other. The train pathfinds and says hey, this blue is really a red because there's a red ahead and doesn't enter the intersection. A train leaving from the top station will catch its green, make its turn, vacate the block, and once it clears the intersection our waiting train will catch its green and make it through the intersection and to its destination station.

Baloogan posted:

the thing about ratios is that worrying about them presupposes that the assemblers are expensive
they are fuckin cheap plop down whatever and get on with it!!
At a certain point Factorio becomes a clicker game and you can worry less about ratios because you have already built them into your blueprints.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Solumin posted:

You say that, and then suddenly you find you've run out of copper and iron. :v:

This literally just happened except the coal also ran out

Said coal was still feeding my power factorissimo station

Needless to say that was a scrumble to fix

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
also just wanna say if you ARENT using factorriosssimo mod u have no soul

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

This literally just happened except the coal also ran out

Said coal was still feeding my power factorissimo station

Needless to say that was a scrumble to fix

Green circuits are a hungry, voracious beast.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Solumin posted:

Green circuits are a hungry, voracious beast.

Just think how he'll react when he realises each purple circuit costs 20 green plus the red and acid. Making any amount of those things absolutely devours green circuits.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
I keep coming back to my existing factory save with the intention of improving it, then scaring myself back off again with the magnitude of what I need to do - I'm basically down to just "launch a rocket" stages but somehow it still seems so huge. Vaguely considering restarting, but maybe I'll start expanding resource processing in my existing game in order to get this cooking... Can anyone point me toward a straightforward, tile-able, Advanced Oil Processing layout?

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

Ignoranus posted:

Can anyone point me toward a straightforward, tile-able, Advanced Oil Processing layout?

Phssthpok posted:

Here's a nice refinery layout with room for beacons:

Each column is tile-able straight down. There's plenty of room on the light oil pipe to add solid fuel plants.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Ignoranus posted:

I keep coming back to my existing factory save with the intention of improving it, then scaring myself back off again with the magnitude of what I need to do - I'm basically down to just "launch a rocket" stages but somehow it still seems so huge. Vaguely considering restarting, but maybe I'll start expanding resource processing in my existing game in order to get this cooking... Can anyone point me toward a straightforward, tile-able, Advanced Oil Processing layout?

My first rocket was a mess of building all the parts on opposite sides of my factory and botting them to the silo. Just work on figuring out what you need to do to make each kind of rocket part and do them one at a time and you'll learn from your mistakes.
Personally I think this from reddit is a pretty good newbie friendly oil setup.

Expand each line as needed rather than try and get perfect ratios. Belt the sulfur somewhere with space to make acid and batteries etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ratzap posted:

Just think how he'll react when he realises each purple circuit costs 20 green plus the red and acid. Making any amount of those things absolutely devours green circuits.

I started on this pretty much as you made this post and my god what