Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I came home to my beautiful two-story spadefish tank and found every single fish dead at the bottom of the tank! Except for one!

I think he went on a psycho fishy rampage and filled all his tank mates!

RIP: Fishy McFishFish, Moamar Gadfishy, Maurice, Tony, Tony II, Lawrence of Subnautica, Lil' Floatie, Reel Big Fish, Carlito, and DJ S\/\/|/\/\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That's weird. Don't dead fish float in the tanks?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Met posted:

That's weird. Don't dead fish float in the tanks?

All the dead fish were on the bottom. Except one who was swimming around no problem. They all said "old dead spadefish".

I ate them in mourning.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Three-Phase posted:

I came home to my beautiful two-story spadefish tank and found every single fish dead at the bottom of the tank! Except for one!

I think he went on a psycho fishy rampage and filled all his tank mates!

RIP: Fishy McFishFish, Moamar Gadfishy, Maurice, Tony, Tony II, Lawrence of Subnautica, Lil' Floatie, Reel Big Fish, Carlito, and DJ S\/\/|/\/\

Naming one fish Qu'est-ce que c'est turned out to be prophetic.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I'm still not clear on what the point of MP in Subnautica would be. Helping your buddy mine for titanium, I guess? 50/50 risk of a pubbie going on a knife spree in your base?

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Paracelsus posted:

I'm still not clear on what the point of MP in Subnautica would be. Helping your buddy mine for titanium, I guess? 50/50 risk of a pubbie going on a knife spree in your base?

To play with your good friends in a charming underwater sandbox and enjoy sharing the experience of diving headfirst into a dark crevasse in search of parts for your kicking rad giant submarine

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
so i thought after you repair the lifepod it's supposed to stay in place? i was using mine in lieu of a beacon for my seabase and went on an expedition to get some cyclops parts and such. came back and it had moved several hundred meters and is still moving at a rate of like 0.5m/sec. now i don't know where my base is :(

The game has been really janky since the PRAWN update. Lifepods spawning in midair and upside down, bizarre texture pop in.. Might just wait until the next update to play again.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

YOU CAN'T GET ITEMS BACK FROM THE BIOREACTOR

(oh god someone please make it stop)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Legs Benedict posted:

so i thought after you repair the lifepod it's supposed to stay in place? i was using mine in lieu of a beacon for my seabase and went on an expedition to get some cyclops parts and such. came back and it had moved several hundred meters and is still moving at a rate of like 0.5m/sec. now i don't know where my base is :(

That bug has been in the game for like a year now and it's hilarious they still can't get it locked down.

I just try to get a base up ASAP with some solar power and abandon the lifepod before it abandons me~

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Rhjamiz posted:

YOU CAN'T GET ITEMS BACK FROM THE BIOREACTOR

(oh god someone please make it stop)

What made you think you could? And what did you put in it? You didn't stick your hand in, did you? :v:

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Away all Goats posted:

That bug has been in the game for like a year now and it's hilarious they still can't get it locked down.

I just try to get a base up ASAP with some solar power and abandon the lifepod before it abandons me~

if you make a real big base you should be able to ensnare the lifepod in a spectacular conflagration of glass tentacles, imo

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, I found the best thing to do is make a small base right at the beginning with two tubes, slap like three solar panels on it, then start moving things down there.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What made you think you could? And what did you put in it? You didn't stick your hand in, did you? :v:

My problem is that it keeps saying that. Forever. And Ever. Again and again until I reload.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You should be able to build the base out of the lifepod, like make it a reactor or something.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I think I found out what happened to my habitat. I was getting a little carried away with the shocky thing on the Seamoth and I might've discharged it a little too close to the habitat and ended up frying my little spadefish family.

Oops.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I remember the first time the lifepod drifted away from me. I literally built a current generator just to push it back.

So the solution is just surround the lifepod with current generators.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Invalid Validation posted:

You should be able to build the base out of the lifepod, like make it a reactor or something.

The lifepod has those fancy self recharging power cells. Sure they are only 25 power each and do not refill too fast, but it's a thing that exists and would give more of a point to visiting lifepod wrecks if those could go towards installing some in a base.

I know it's a gameplay concession (Thank god for it), but starting you out with infinite power, but leaving so much as solar panels gated so you can't even have air in your starting MP room depressing hallway cluster is just... why?

As for them droping multiplayer. While I'm not surprised, so far they have been holding as a "Maybe, if we can get another team to do it for us, post launch" idea. So I'm not sure where the "We don't want to make you wait for 1.0 over multiplayer" is coming from.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 31, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Aren't solar panels easily found at the edges of the safe shallows?

polka
May 10, 2007

Going up!

Rhjamiz posted:

My problem is that it keeps saying that. Forever. And Ever. Again and again until I reload.

If you can just ignore it, eventually it goes away.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They could be spawned directly below your life pod, but the point there was how your default undersea survival base blueprints "Air sold separately".

For a comparison. It'd would be like giving you an empty flare gun, and telling you "Eh, I'm sure you can scrounge up some flares somewhere".

A Dev in passing said on the Steamforums they planned on making solar panels default due to that, but that was before the latest live changes and, well, here we are with locked MP rooms, but no default solar panels.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, they're all over the safe shallows.

Why did they decide to animate your character blindly sticking their left hand out for every single item you make. WTB a mod to turn that off. And why can't I make the big room from the beginning, exactly?

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Yeah it would be great if you could make some sort of "lifepod anchor" and sink the lifepod after the "tutorial" of learning how to make stuff, then build your base out from the lifepod. Give the lifepod a witty ai complaining about being cramped or whatnot and you just added another character in a really unique way. It could integrate with some sort of server room or the camera room (and actually make you go scope things out).

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Section Z posted:

So I'm not sure where the "We don't want to make you wait for 1.0 over multiplayer" is coming from.

Probably because every third thread or post on the OF are asking about it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

HiKaizer posted:

Probably because every third thread or post on the OF are asking about it.

I meant in the sense of how until very recently, their whole stance on multiplayer was "IF it happens, not only would it be AFTER launch. We would be hiring an entirely different team to do it, like how Don't Starve did it".

"We'll do it after 1.0, by hiring another team to do it" is the opposite of doing it personally and not launching 1.0 until it's done, basically.

There are plenty of good reasons why they can't do multiplayer ever, including "Oh poo poo, yeah this game's code isn't in a state we could just hand it off to someone to staple on multiplayer." It's just the sudden emphasis on their own team doing it before launch that's odd.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 31, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I get the feeling their plan hasnt changed, but rather antthing they say about maybr in the future is taken as a chancr of it being in at release. Much better to emphasize expecting no multiplayer and letting people be surprised if it arrives than dangling it out there and then being unable to do it.

Unlike NMS they want their to be no vaguebess regarding a promise of multiplayer by just giving a firm no... for now.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Tutorial level is now:
You're an engineer aboard the Aurora. You're doing some maintenance on the ships data center. You've uninstalled the Science Department's AI core, placed it into a temporary unit while you work on the main system that usually houses it.

Boom, bad things. You grab the AI in its portable, limited little temporary housing, and head for an escape pod.

Boom, now you have a companion, a dispenser of quests and clues, and something to drive exploration and base building, as well as tech progression. Now there's a bit more explanation for why you happen to be the magic man who can unravel the planet's secrets that isn't a complete Deus-ex-machina despite actually being a Deus-ex-machina.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If they added a Half Life style "day in the life" of whatever your guy was and then poo poo just goes wrong and you end up in the ocean. That would be awesome. The intro right now seems to have gotten worse with the new update because while you're "falling out of the space ship" you can see the ocean waves clipping through the pod.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

An AI companion would probably just end being annoying. Maybe if it was really well writen, but odds are probably against it.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I would absolutely want an underwater Jarvis for my seabese

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Not engineer. Our character clearly has no notable engineering skills. No, you are the Aurora Janitor, and you are mopping the floor in the core room cleaning up a spill when it calls on you to act to preserve it, on account of you being the nearest person capable of carrying it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

Not engineer. Our character clearly has no notable engineering skills. No, you are the Aurora Janitor, and you are mopping the floor in the core room cleaning up a spill when it calls on you to act to preserve it, on account of you being the nearest person capable of carrying it.

Of course, napping in the utility closet has it's benefits. A well known space janitor tactic for surviving alien attacks.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Section Z posted:

Of course, napping in the utility closet has it's benefits. A well known space janitor tactic for surviving alien attacks.

Ok, new plan. Your character is a space janitor, napping in an escape pod. He's awoken when the ship starts going nuts, and a team of real engineers tosses the ships AI at him when the corridor collapses on them.

Your name? Roger Wilco.

This game is now Space Quest 8: Kickstart My Heart.

Edit: Changed the name to something a bit more punny.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 1, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

TheCenturion posted:

Ok, new plan. Your character is a space janitor, napping in an escape pod. He's awoken when the ship starts going nuts, and a team of real engineers tosses the ships AI at him when the corridor collapses on them.

Your name? Roger Wilco.

This game is now Space Quest 8: Another Fine Mess.

The good news: You've rigged your coms station to download a pirate version of complete survival blueprints.

The bad news: In Subnautica's sequel, the legal department sends assassins after you.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Exploring the Floater Island for the first time, heading towards the third abandoned base and i sudden clip through a rock and get stuck. Now i get to wait until I starve to death to get out.

Cool.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Use the console command "Spawn" and it'll teleport you a small distance away.

"Warpme" also brings you back to the cyclops, a seabase, or Lifepod 5. Whichever you last left.

You can open the console by hitting F3 to make sure it's not disabled and then use the Tilde key ~

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
There's something new in the active lava zone.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The couple new creatures and the lava or did I miss something?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Met posted:

The couple new creatures and the lava or did I miss something?

I think it's down at the bottom. When I was playing yesterday the section was labeled lavalakes, now it has a long alphanumeric sequence and there's something that sure as hell wasn't there before.

It's probably a precursor base, but it's just a big jumble of rectangles right now and there's nothing to do with it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I found the sandy area underneath the active lava zone. Is that what you're talking about? I figured it was where the Sea Emperor was going to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Met posted:

I found the sandy area underneath the active lava zone. Is that what you're talking about? I figured it was where the Sea Emperor was going to be.

It's not sandy, the floor is lava. I went down through the lava castle to get there.