Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Marching Powder posted:

I am not arguing that. At all. I'm saying the punch you don't see coming can come from eye level, and does all the time, if properly disguised by feints and other subtle movements of the body. 'seeing' the gloves means gently caress all, see also, goal keepers in soccer penalties. The ball is right there! Just follow it! *dives in complete opposite direction*

aaaah, okay. so it's sort of either one works. sorry about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It also helps if they can't see your hands at all though. Some fighters will recognize feints and milling hands better than punches that come from the hip and vice versa. This isn't some binary thing and some fighters do one of/some of these things better than others.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It also helps if they can't see your hands at all though

That's why Jon Jones is the greatest. More gouges for all!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It also helps if they can't see your hands at all though. Some fighters will recognize feints and milling hands better than punches that come from the hip and vice versa. This isn't some binary thing and some fighters do one of/some of these things better than others.

Basic fundamentals, though, are to keep your guard up. The only people who should be fighting with their guard down are good enough strikers to take the risk or motivated by takedown defense. I would never fault a fighter for keeping his hands on his hips against a guy like Maia.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It also helps if they can't see your hands at all though

there are some dragon ball z citations that im sure someone can find for this too

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I didn't know Thomas Hearns was in DBZ.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
Wondeyboy does that too if you're looking for an MMA example. Just kinda flicking the jab up to eye level from his hip.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Anderson knocked okami down with an up jab

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Whittaker does it a bit too. Its also why a rising front kick like Anderson does or did to Vitor and Joe Schilling does to everyone can be so dangerous. It comes from an angle thats really hard to see if you're focusing on hand movement.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Marching Powder posted:

I am not arguing that. At all. I'm saying the punch you don't see coming can come from eye level, and does all the time, if properly disguised by feints and other subtle movements of the body. 'seeing' the gloves means gently caress all, see also, goal keepers in soccer penalties. The ball is right there! Just follow it! *dives in complete opposite direction*

Diving to save penalties is almost always a complete guess, I'm not sure it's a great analogy.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's not a bad one.

When it's a match that can go to a penalty shootout, teams always have studies put together about the habits of potential penalty takers, including tells in their run ups, areas the striker often tries to score in or other habits that have consistent tells into ways the the striker shoots. There's not much difference between this and studying a fighter's style.

When all is said and done, penalties are heavily skewed towards a striker and even if someone takes the same penalty they take a 100 times and it goes in the same angle, speed and place you probably won't save it, but the sport is so valuable and so much money rides on it in different ways that you better believe that goalkeepers study tape and try to figure out who will shoot where.

It's probably a lot less prevalent, but still likely to happen, week in week out for league matches. If you're playing Man United and you know Wayne Rooney takes their penalties, you're going to study up a bit just incase, even though you probably won't face a penner.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Diving to save penalties is almost always a complete guess, I'm not sure it's a great analogy.

it's a good enough analogy for the importance being able to see the glove the entire time has to whether or not you get punched.

you don't watch gloves when you're fighting and react whenever you see them move. it's too fast, and you'd look like a retard treating every single feint and movement like a punch. you are taking in just an enormous amount of information coming from insanely subtle and not-so-subtle cues across the entire body of another human. it's hard to explain but having your fists just out of peripheral vision does not mean you can now land at will (see also: kicks of any kind) and with any advantages it actually has it comes with it a whole big bunch of negatives.

it's a style of fighting no more or less legitimate than basically any other, it depends mostly on the artist.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I have a friend who has never once picked anything other than rock in rock, paper, scissors. Everyone knows this, but plenty of people always think "this is it. This is the time he picks something else" and then they lose. That's exactly what penalty kicks in soccer are like: people can have all the information in the world but in the heat of the moment lots of people just impulse guess and gently caress up

Anyways, I only read the last two posts and have no idea what this has to do with mma

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Nothing beats rock. Good old rock!

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

on the other hand buffon managed to guess right every single time during the european championship penalties against germany,

which was like, 10 times or something
some people are just better at that stuff

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Koscheck was a pro mma diver, but nothing compares to that Brazilian guy who started rolling around trying to get a dq win like he'd been physically destroyed by a foul and wore a neck brace the next day for a photo shoot to try and convince everyone he was for real totally hurt you guys

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Pedro Nobre, that dingus.

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

What do people here think of the Portland UFC Fight Night Card?
http://www.ufc.com/event/ufc-fight-night-portland?id=

I can see this card live but I don't know the fighters well enough to know if this is a good card or not.
I figure Lineker/Dodson will be insane but I'm worried that that might be a quick fight.

I guess what I'm asking is, is this card worth the $150 or so to see live?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

College Rockout posted:

What do people here think of the Portland UFC Fight Night Card?
http://www.ufc.com/event/ufc-fight-night-portland?id=

I can see this card live but I don't know the fighters well enough to know if this is a good card or not.
I figure Lineker/Dodson will be insane but I'm worried that that might be a quick fight.

I guess what I'm asking is, is this card worth the $150 or so to see live?

go see that loving card. ufc events are always fun live regardless of quality, but lineker / dodson is very relevant and sick, ill will brooks is fresh from bellator and an insanely good fighter fighting 'the other cowboy' who has literally never had a boring fight. speaking of not having a boring fight, it's louis smolka beating the poo poo out of baby pettis! barncat fighting marquardt? why? who the gently caress cares barncat is awesome.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
That card owns and you should definitely go see it.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

go see that loving card. ufc events are always fun live regardless of quality, but lineker / dodson is very relevant and sick, ill will brooks is fresh from bellator and an insanely good fighter fighting 'the other cowboy' who has literally never had a boring fight. speaking of not having a boring fight, it's louis smolka beating the poo poo out of baby pettis! barncat fighting marquardt? why? who the gently caress cares barncat is awesome.

Yeah go see that card for real

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Ok literally buying the tickets right now, thanks!

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

College Rockout posted:

Ok literally buying the tickets right now, thanks!

if you had asked earlier in the week, i would have told you to get in touch with kensei, he's using my UFC Fight Club presale code.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's a good card, nice match-ups all through out.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This is a strange question but I once saw someone in a "your favorite MMA fighter" thread mention a Japanese MMA guy who had a style described as "he seems to think pro wrestling and anime are both real", and I was wondering who that might be, because I can't find that thread anymore.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Alain Post posted:

This is a strange question but I once saw someone in a "your favorite MMA fighter" thread mention a Japanese MMA guy who had a style described as "he seems to think pro wrestling and anime are both real", and I was wondering who that might be, because I can't find that thread anymore.

Do a google video search for "Minowaman" and report back

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

May also be Anthony Pettis

1. Motivated to avenge the death of his father
2. Runs off the cage like a ninja, prefers flying attacks
3. Impossibly angular facial hair
4. Doesn't "actually" wrestle
5. Morally abhorrent sexual deviant

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

who are some fighters whose falls from grace were extremely satisfying and cool to watch?

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Aye Doc posted:

who are some fighters whose falls from grace were extremely satisfying and cool to watch?

I think you could watch Tito vs:
Chuck 1 and 2
Machida
Rashad 2
Little Nog

Fedor vs:
Werdum
Bigfoot
Hendo

and be very satisfied

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Aye Doc posted:

1. Anderson Silva, but I am a considerable minority on this

2. Jamie Varner

3. Pretty Tony Pettis

4. Jon Jones' was frustrating at first but some of the proest posts this forum has ever seen were birthed of his immeasurable fuckups

5. Brock Lesnar

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

Aye Doc posted:

Tim Silvia

That time Ronda went from champion of the world and the most famous mma fighter ever to drunk, making GBS threads in the woods from a fast food binge, within a week

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bluedeanie posted:

4. Jon Jones' was frustrating at first but some of the proest posts this forum has ever seen were birthed of his immeasurable fuckups

Yeah, but in the cage, it was just one lackluster fight against OSP. His haters have yet to see him get totally owned in a fight.

I don't have anything against Renan Barao, but his getting completely dominated by TJ twice was satisfying for his getting tested on the simplicity of his game and the general raising of expectations for MMA striking.
Speaking of, where does that "barao-rao-rao-rao" joke come from?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, but in the cage, it was just one lackluster fight against OSP. His haters have yet to see him get totally owned in a fight.

I don't have anything against Renan Barao, but his getting completely dominated by TJ twice was satisfying for his getting tested on the simplicity of his game and the general raising of expectations for MMA striking.
Speaking of, where does that "barao-rao-rao-rao" joke come from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwP04-diHtc

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Chuck 1 and 2
Machida
Rashad 2
Little Nog

Fedor vs:
Werdum
Bigfoot
Hendo

and be very satisfied

How after the

"Aftapaddy" and "if you hev drem gohed is pastabowl" speech when he killed rashad.

Can you not like machida?

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Fedor vs:
Werdum
Bigfoot
Hendo

and be very satisfied

and Fabio

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
All the new guys still following -- this The Ultimate Fighter season should be well worth watching, unlike the last several. Each contestant is more of a known quantity, by virtue of being a champion of some local/regional promotion.
If nothing else, should be free decent fights if you have the channel.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
First EP was pretty entertaining - somebody that's not me should start a thread so I don't get spoiled.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen
yeah I found the first 2 fights to be incredibly doap, and the narrative is doing a really swell job of humanizing all the fighters with backstories and poo poo instead of trying to make them all seem like awesome hypermasculine badasses who have like 1 distinguishing characteristic each

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Chuck 1 and 2
Machida
Rashad 2
Little Nog

this was everything i wanted. the barely comprehensible post-fight interviews with tito, the desperate attempts by rogan & goldberg to make tito sound like the poo poo as he is getting punched mercilessly, their ability to do so waning as tito just does nothing and gets his rear end kicked. watching fedor get destroyed was cool and good but did not resonate in the same way. thanks a lot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
The only time Dana White has given his own money to a fighter was when Machida beat Tito. They cut Tito after that fight (I think) and Dana cut a check for $50,000.

• Locked thread