Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

mr. stefan posted:

Decisive Battle is one of the iconic themes from Evangelion and generally played either over a montage of NERV doing some Thunderbirds poo poo or the buildup of a fight before poo poo really hits the fan.

Also the godzilla song is just the first 5 drum notes of the evangelion song looped over and over forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Tekne posted:

Particle beamatomic breath in action.

I need this movie now.

Please Zilla, Don't Hurt 'Em

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

After listening to the OST, I gotta say that Sagisu's heavy and melancholic tunes are perfect for a Godzilla movie. It'd be sweet if he could score a sequel or two.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Choco1980 posted:

From what I understand, that was, after decades of trying, the only way Banno could get reattached to Godzilla. Previously, Tomoyuki Tanaka, as executive producer on the series, would heavily oversee the films as they were being made. During the early shooting of Hedorah, he had to be hospitalized for several weeks. Banno was all "Don't worry about it, I got this." When Tanaka saw the rocket jet flight scene, his first words were "they've ruined my Godzilla." and Banno was all but blacklisted in the Japanese film industry.

In 2008 he had secured both rights and funding for Godzilla 3D to the MAX, a 50 minute IMAX short that was cancelled in favour of Godzilla 2014. To quote wikipedia,

quote:

Godzilla 3D[edit]
In August 2004, Yoshimitsu Banno, who had directed 1971's Godzilla vs. Hedorah, announced that he had secured the rights from Toho to make a Godzilla IMAX 3D short film at his Advanced Audiovisual Productions (AAP) production company. The film was tentatively titled Godzilla 3D to the Max, and was to be a remake of the Godzilla vs. Hedorah story.[49] In 2005, American Peter Anderson, ASC was added to the project as cinematographer, visual effects supervisor and co-producer.[49] In 2007, American producer Brian Rogers signed on to the project after Peter Anderson introduced him to Banno and AAP producer Kenji Okuhira.[50] In 2007, also through Anderson, Kerner Optical then came on board to develop the technology and to produce the 3-D film [51][52] And with Kerner's backing, in the fall of 2007 the team met with Toho in Tokyo where they re-negotiated their license to allow the release of a feature-length 3-D theatrical production.[53][54] In 2008, Kerner was facing financial troubles that threatened to cancel the production. Rogers, Anderson and the then-proposed director Keith Melton met with Legendary Pictures to get their backing on a 3-D theatrical film.[55] In 2010, it was green-lit by Legendary to go to production.[56] From the AAP production team, Banno and Okuhira would remain on the project as executive producers and Rogers as a producer. In November 2013, Banno stated that he still planned to make a sequel to Godzilla vs. Hedorah.[57]

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Spoilerific trailer but still just a trailer :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6is0qMN0FiA

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I really don't get what's going on with the trains in that trailer. :iiam:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PriorMarcus posted:

I really don't get what's going on with the trains in that trailer. :iiam:

It's being used to immobilize him. The trains are packed with explosives and being remote controlled. Once the immobilized they plan to pump him full of a chemical agent. It actually is kind of similar in broad concept to what they try to do to him in KKvG. They also use a poo poo ton of US Drones and even US Cruise Missile attacks

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
So..... No news on the American release?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Apparently just looking things up, some US theaters/fandango listings have spilled the beans and listed a premiere date for Tuesday, October 11th. I can't confirm the fandango one, but the first hit on Google for that date is an indie theater in New Mexico. And I'm seeing rumors all over the net from theater managers in the last 24 hours saying the same date.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

Apparently just looking things up, some US theaters/fandango listings have spilled the beans and listed a premiere date for Tuesday, October 11th. I can't confirm the fandango one, but the first hit on Google for that date is an indie theater in New Mexico. And I'm seeing rumors all over the net from theater managers in the last 24 hours saying the same date.

That is shockingly early. It's encouraging, but I am quite suspect. Especially if Anno doesn't like Funimation's translation. You sure that's not for October 2018-19?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

From everything I've seen, yeah it's this October. And subtitled, which would certainly speed up the translation effort.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

K. Waste posted:

The tail is the best part, because from some spoilery stills I've seen, at one point Godzilla literally begins using his tail as a second atomic laser beam source.

sounds like an idea I had when I played with my Godzilla toys at age 6 but changed my mind for it being stupid

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Realistic nuclear laser breath only please.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
I think it's great that they're trying new things with Godzilla and with the franchise in general, even if it's as batshit as the stuff in that new trailer. My least favorite entries in the series are the ones that play it safe and stick way to much to established formulas (those being vs. Spacegodzilla, vs. Megaguirus, vs. Gigan).

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

The teased next project from writer Gen Urobuchi (Madoka Magica, Thunderbolt Fantasy) has been revealed as none other than a Godzilla anime film. The feature is currently in the works for a 2017 theatrical premiere, with animation production by Knights of Sidonia studio Polygon Pictures.

The film is being directed by Kobun Shizuno (Detective Conan movies, Knights of Sidonia) and Hiroyuki Seshita (Blame!, Ajin chief director)

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/08/18/gen-urobuchi-scripted-godzilla-anime-movie-announced-for-2017

http://godzilla-anime.com/index.html

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Gen Urobuchi's Godzilla will undoubtedly be a trip.

I don't know what the odds are I'll enjoy it, but it'll be a trip.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'll give it a chance, though Urobuchi has yet to be involved with anything I've ended up liking.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
It's Japanese 3DCG so it'll be uncanny valley and bad.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i'm glad anno cut out the conceit and made eva 4.0 a straight-up kaiju film

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Choco1980 posted:

It's funny, I'd say the Heisei period has oddly both some of the best and the worst human plots. For every time traveling android or hatching of baby dinosaurs, there's scene after scene of dudes just sitting in a control room not really doing anything and being all out of ideas.

Yeah but for every one of those there's a subplot with Kumi Mizuno as an alien who gets executed for having emotions.

Raxivace posted:

I'll give it a chance, though Urobuchi has yet to be involved with anything I've ended up liking.

Psycho-Pass season one is really loving good, although you have to read it as a comedy for this to come through.

Madoka's visually spectacular but I don't know that he had much to do with that and narratively, eh, it's okay.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 20, 2016

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
What's the name of the actress 33 seconds into this trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysRIwlEBjuw&t=33s

She's got a cool face.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah but for every one of those there's a subplot with Kumi Mizuno as an alien who gets executed for having emotions.

Someone doesn't know the difference between Showa and Heisei

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Choco1980 posted:

Someone doesn't know the difference between Showa and Heisei

I do, actually, which makes this even more embarassing.

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline
Saw it last night in a sold-out theater in Osaka. What a loving movie.

Between the music cues, shot composition and use of the old-school sound effects for the explosions and beams, I was loving every second.

There are a ton of characters and the film weaves them all around the narrative of a leader coming to grips with Godzilla and using all available information to make the right decision.

The characters all deliver lightning-fast dialogue, reminded me of an Aaron Sorkin piece. It works in the movie's favor.

Every shot of Godzilla gave me goosebumps, and the best surprises aren't in the trailers.

Dirk Digglet fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Aug 21, 2016

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013
There are some camrip scenes surfacing.

I won't link it here for fear of being banned, but you can find it on 4chan.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

It's gonna be playing at JRR Martin's New Mexico Cocteau Theater in October.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Funimation tends to do a releases with Alamo Drafthouse so if you have one near you you'll have a good chance to see it in a theater. Haven't gotten an email about it, but I'm on the lookout.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
First review from a major U.S. publication (i.e. not Kotaku) is in, they seem to like it. It's nice reading a Western review of a Japanese Godzilla movie that doesn't use the words "campy" or "cardboard".

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/godzilla-resurgence-film-review-923097

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013

This is supposedly official. You can start to look up which theaters will have it on Fandango.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Apperantly the only place this will show in South Florida is in Hialeah. Was not expecting that (Miami folks will understand). Either way, I'll be there.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I can't seem to pull anything up for Canada. Which basically means nothing near Winnipeg. Probably just in Toronto and Vancouver as loving usual.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

God damnit the Alamo Drafthouse better show it here in SF.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
Only thing I see near me is in New Jersey. Nothing near Boston.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

One showing in Surprise, which isn't too far from Phoenix. Just stupidly in the middle of nowhere.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
There's one showing in downtown Houston, and nothing in the entire rest of the metro area. Not even loving Drafthouse. (Either Drafthouse.)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I'm not seeing anything in Michigan so far. :ohdear:

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Nothing in NC, we always get the shaft

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

RBX posted:

Nothing in NC, we always get the shaft
To be fair we don't deserve anything other than mockery and contempt.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm in the middle of upstate New York, so I'll guess I'll wait for the blu-ray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013
drat, the showtimes have all disappeared from my closest theater.