Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Good Will Hrunting posted:

He also sounded like he hated his job.

The vast majority of Googlers hate interviewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

b0lt posted:

Well, I work in advertising on a bidding platform and he asked me questions about it. Then he talked about how he works on an ad server and just sounded like he couldn't be any less interested in what he did? Just my two cents, I'd probably hate interviewing too.

That said I couldn't be any more unsure of whether I'll get to the next round.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

b0lt posted:

I like interviewing but hate writing feedback for the interview.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Well, I work in advertising on a bidding platform and he asked me questions about it. Then he talked about how he works on an ad server and just sounded like he couldn't be any less interested in what he did? Just my two cents, I'd probably hate interviewing too.

That said I couldn't be any more unsure of whether I'll get to the next round.

I mean, do you ever have a series of interviews and by the last one you are not at all paying attention to your own explanation of your current job and are sick of talking about it? I feel like some of that might be going on.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I mean, do you ever have a series of interviews and by the last one you are not at all paying attention to your own explanation of your current job and are sick of talking about it? I feel like some of that might be going on.

I get this a lot... We interview a lot of students for intern positions, and after doing an entire day of them, you've described your basic technology stack and what you do so many times, yeah, it almost starts to feel like you're leaving your body and just watching someone else talk...

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
It was 10 am.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Maybe your interviewer hadn't had their coffee yet, then, and resented being made to wake up so early in the day. :v:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Sounds like you did ok and already have a nascent imposter syndrome, so there's a good chance you're on track.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I disagree with all these nice folks, if you're so much of a downer that you're able to bring down a peppy interviewin' Googler over a phone call and suck the joy out of their self-description you should do the recruiter a favor and withdraw yourself from consideration.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

mrmcd posted:

Sounds like you did ok and already have a nascent imposter syndrome, so there's a good chance you're on track.

The recruiter emailed me and said they'd like to schedule my "follow-up phone interview". Yesterday my interviewer asked if this was my first phone screen and I said I didn't know there was more than one and he said that sometimes they schedule two? The recruiter said "one or two" when I first talked to her. But I'm guessing the first guy was on the fence about me or something so they'll do a second before they decide whether or not they'd like to bring me in.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

The recruiter emailed me and said they'd like to schedule my "follow-up phone interview". Yesterday my interviewer asked if this was my first phone screen and I said I didn't know there was more than one and he said that sometimes they schedule two? The recruiter said "one or two" when I first talked to her. But I'm guessing the first guy was on the fence about me or something so they'll do a second before they decide whether or not they'd like to bring me in.

I really love doing interviews, esp phone screens cause I actually really enjoy talking about what I do and generally don't work places I don't like a lot, plus gives a break from staring at a computer all day. That said 90% of my feedbacks that asked for a follow up phone screen were cause they booked the thing at 10am and I wasn't awake enough to give a drat or remember enough to get good signal. I imagine a lot of people are similar. So don't let it get you down that they asked for a second.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Love walking away from interviews where you get the best solution possible, but it's still a O(n^2) solution so you're questioning it and freaking out that you can do better, babbling on about parallelizing it and poo poo, and your interviewer does literally nothing to make you feel better as you sound like an idiot. And then you just question how you did.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Love walking away from interviews where you get the best solution possible, but it's still a O(n^2) solution so you're questioning it and freaking out that you can do better, babbling on about parallelizing it and poo poo, and your interviewer does literally nothing to make you feel better as you sound like an idiot. And then you just question how you did.

What if you used a quantum computer with a positronic matrix?

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

JawnV6 posted:

I disagree with all these nice folks, if you're so much of a downer that you're able to bring down a peppy interviewin' Googler over a phone call and suck the joy out of their self-description you should do the recruiter a favor and withdraw yourself from consideration.

haha i like this take on it

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Had my own Google onsite awhile back, and today got informed that they're moving ahead to the next set of screens (where the hiring managers look over everyones' resumes to see what they have to work with). :dance:

And I thought I completely bombed the fifth interview problem, too. Just goes to show, getting the right answer (or any answer, for that matter) is not the point of the interview. They tell you that, over and over again, but drat if it still doesn't feel bad to walk away from an unsolved problem!

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Had my own Google onsite awhile back, and today got informed that they're moving ahead to the next set of screens (where the hiring managers look over everyones' resumes to see what they have to work with). :dance:

And I thought I completely bombed the fifth interview problem, too. Just goes to show, getting the right answer (or any answer, for that matter) is not the point of the interview. They tell you that, over and over again, but drat if it still doesn't feel bad to walk away from an unsolved problem!

:hfive: Congrats! I just set up my second phone screen for next week. All weekend will be spend with recursion, DP, and trees.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Hey, you're in! See you in Mountain View?

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

google-earth-with-only-california.png

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Paolomania posted:

US-NYC-9TH office best office.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

mrmcd posted:

I've never been to mountain view and inshallah i never will

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

I've never been to mountain view and inshallah i never will

:yeah:

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Paolomania posted:

there are way too many goonglers in here

mrmcd posted:

nope, US-MTV-43 #1, we have the best cafe and the worst cafe

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Assuming I do get in, it'd be in MV to start, but I'm hoping to get the South SF location later, since it'd be a vastly shorter commute. Highway 101 is no fun. And it's not like I need access to 6+ cafeterias full of amazing free food, right? :shepface:

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

b0lt posted:

there are way too many goonglers in here

nope, US-MTV-43 #1, we have the best cafe and the worst cafe

Yoshkas sucks but at least we don't get the tours going through and raiding our kitchen anymore.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Assuming I do get in, it'd be in MV to start, but I'm hoping to get the South SF location later, since it'd be a vastly shorter commute. Highway 101 is no fun. And it's not like I need access to 6+ cafeterias full of amazing free food, right? :shepface:

From what I hear they already have to shoo away the MTV campers in SFO on Fridays like so many persistent homeless, because nobody wants to deal with bay area traffic on a Friday and everyone wants to start their weekend in the city. Basically unless you can find a team that's already there with open headcount to take you, don't assume you're the first person to think "Man it'd be way nicer to work out of SF instead of dealing with the traffic disaster that is the bay area, I'll just get a desk here."

I am in the Cambridge/Boston office this week it's very nice. They are so proud of their toy subway system here it's adorable. Every area is styled like the train system or Boston history trivia.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Also I still have too still have to find time to pilgrimage to MTV mothership. Everyone on my team there, though, says NYC has much, much better food.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

mrmcd posted:

I am in the Cambridge/Boston office this week it's very nice. They are so proud of their toy subway system here it's adorable. Every area is styled like the train system or Boston history trivia.
I am US-CAM but alas I am on vacation this week otherwise I'd offer to grab a coffee!

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

apseudonym posted:

Yoshkas sucks but at least we don't get the tours going through and raiding our kitchen anymore.

at least the interns are gone, so it's not a choice between "wait 45 minutes for food" and "overcooked chicken and empty clamshells"

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

mrmcd posted:

From what I hear they already have to shoo away the MTV campers in SFO on Fridays like so many persistent homeless, because nobody wants to deal with bay area traffic on a Friday and everyone wants to start their weekend in the city. Basically unless you can find a team that's already there with open headcount to take you, don't assume you're the first person to think "Man it'd be way nicer to work out of SF instead of dealing with the traffic disaster that is the bay area, I'll just get a desk here."

Did they do the whole "FIRST subway in the United States of America! :smug:" thing?

Seems more interesting than my building's decor with abstract canvas that looks expensive but probably wasn't.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

You're going to be really really disappointed if you think there are 6+ cafeterias with amazing food in MTV.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

asur posted:

You're going to be really really disappointed if you think there are 6+ cafeterias with amazing food in MTV.

ITT Googlers complain about their free food.

Masa is best btw.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Well, I had my second Amazon interview, and I think that went to hell.

The first question was: Given an array of numbers, return an array that is the product at i of the array, excluding i. Do it in linear time without using division. I couldn't get there. I tried various lookups and the like and still couldn't hit what they wanted. I looked it up online afterwards. It's simple enough but I don't know how something like that would occur to me unless I was fresh out of school, majoring in CS, and had done a bunch of brain bender courses. That's not the kind of poo poo I deal with anywhere.

The second question was: Given a string, return the first character in the string that occurs only once. I murdered that one in five minutes, of which I was mostly just typing it out. It's just a lookup table mapping character to count and its most recent index. Then you just filter through the ones that have only a single count and take the one with the lowest index. There's some semantics for empty strings and crap, but that wasn't a concern.

I feel like if I want to get into these big places at all that I have to just practice mind bender bullshit stuff for a few months. Nothing else. It's really annoying how much programming interviews any more seem to just focus on Big-O complexity cleverness. Maybe I'm a lost cause, but between the programming I did as a kid, the programming I did in school, and the programming I've done professionally, that kind of stuff has been extremely rare. I mean, to the point where it's not even worth worrying about it, and just refreshing when a particular situation comes up.

return0
Apr 11, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The first question was: Given an array of numbers, return an array that is the product at i of the array, excluding i. Do it in linear time without using division. I couldn't get there. I tried various lookups and the like and still couldn't hit what they wanted. I looked it up online afterwards. It's simple enough but I don't know how something like that would occur to me unless I was fresh out of school, majoring in CS, and had done a bunch of brain bender courses. That's not the kind of poo poo I deal with anywhere.

The second question was: Given a string, return the first character in the string that occurs only once. I murdered that one in five minutes, of which I was mostly just typing it out. It's just a lookup table mapping character to count and its most recent index. Then you just filter through the ones that have only a single count and take the one with the lowest index. There's some semantics for empty strings and crap, but that wasn't a concern.

I feel like if I want to get into these big places at all that I have to just practice mind bender bullshit stuff for a few months. Nothing else. It's really annoying how much programming interviews any more seem to just focus on Big-O complexity cleverness. Maybe I'm a lost cause, but between the programming I did as a kid, the programming I did in school, and the programming I've done professionally, that kind of stuff has been extremely rare. I mean, to the point where it's not even worth worrying about it, and just refreshing when a particular situation comes up.

Was this phone/skype, or face to face?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm not sure I understand the problem statement. Am I to turn e.g. [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6] into [1, 1, 2, 6, 24, 120]? That should basically be foldr of multiplication, right?

quote:

I'd love to see more general design problems in interviews, where you're handed a large problem like "how would you implement a relational database" or "how would you ensure that this message gets perfectly delivered despite an imperfect network" and the interviewer wants to see how you come up with designs, identify shortcomings/limitations/incompletely-specified problems, etc.

But I think honestly a good "programming question" of the type you got (i.e. small-scale) still hits most of the high points. You have to correctly specify the problem statement, identify at least one potential path to a solution, justify your choices in data structures (which includes knowing why e.g. a linked list is superior to an array in this specific instance), recognize edge cases, and ideally explain how you would go about testing and verifying that your proposed solution is correct. All that stuff is pretty invariant to big-O or the scope of the problem, and it's what I think most interviewers are really looking for.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Input : [3, 4, 7, 1]
[0, 3, 12, 84]
[28, 7, 1, 0]

That's the solution to the first one, you don't have to keep 2 arrays though.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

apseudonym posted:

ITT Googlers complain about their free food.

Masa is best btw.

Masa is best when they have fish, Backyard on fridays, Happyfish when it's close, and Heritage otherwise.

edit: oh and wan when it has fried chicken (i.e. today)

b0lt fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 1, 2016

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

mrmcd posted:

the 9TH best office, got it

I'm not sure I understand the problem statement. Am I to turn e.g. [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6] into [1, 1, 2, 6, 24, 120]? That should basically be foldr of multiplication, right?

No it's a product of everything in the array except the number, not just from the left to that number

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
First problem the way you worded it seems like this is what they want (basically a modified foldr as mentioned above):
In: A = {1, 2, 3}
Out: {A[1] * A[2], A[0] * A[2], A[0] * A[1]} => { 2 * 3, 1 * 3, 1 * 2} => {6, 3, 2}

In any case, to start looking at the problem without division you'd be looking at a solution that computes the product sweeping forward (foldr) into a new array and the product sweeping backwards (foldl) into another array to let you get O(1) operations at each array index. So at index i, you're looking at RArray[i-1] * LArray[i+1] to compute the value with 0th value being LArray[0] and the last value being RArray[length]. Or something like that. Too hungry and braindead to figure out how to put that into just one array (probably to do with redundancy / symmetry given the whole commutative property of multiplication) without overwriting the input or return output arrays.

I'd love to see more general design problems in interviews, where you're handed a large problem like "how would you implement a relational database" or "how would you ensure that this message gets perfectly delivered despite an imperfect network" and the interviewer wants to see how you come up with designs, identify shortcomings/limitations/incompletely-specified problems, etc.
A lot of those example questions are really open ended, meandering potentially and tough to score objectively compared to algorithm tests (perhaps.... IQ tests). I'd be open to separating a lot of white board exercises into different areas of focus that's more evident to the interviewee - design of a problem v. optimization of an existing solution to a problem, for example. Regardless, one thing I don't see that's really common and time-consuming in daily work but rare in programming interviews is "here's some code, what's wrong / find the bug(s)."

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

return0 posted:

Was this phone/skype, or face to face?

It was phone with an online collaboration link. We were able to talk to each other and type into a shared text box.

Input : [3, 4, 7, 1]
[0, 3, 12, 84]
[28, 7, 1, 0]

That's the solution to the first one, you don't have to keep 2 arrays though.

I'm not sure what you all are getting at:

Given your input set of [3, 4, 7, 1], the output they wanted would be [28, 21, 12, 84]
I kinda-sorta see that in what you have, but I don't see how you're getting there--with the zeroes in particular.

necrobobsledder posted:

First problem the way you worded it seems like this is what they want (basically a modified foldr as mentioned above):
Is foldr and foldl Hashell stuff? That would explain why I am oblivious to it.

For people following along, there's a Stack Overflow about the literal question I had:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2680548/given-an-array-of-numbers-return-array-of-products-of-all-other-numbers-no-div

You have to keep them from using division because otherwise you'd just get the product of all elements together, then divide by the element at each index to get each individual element's result.

It looks like the trick for a 4-element array is to multiply down. I think this is what the interviewer wanted to see:
code:
[1,         [0],         [0][1],          [0][1][2]]
[[1][2][3], [2][3],      [3],             [1]      ]

Assume the input is: [1, 2, 3, 4] 

That transform computes this:
[1, 1, 2, 6]
[24, 12, 8, 6]

Multiple down the columns:
[24, 12, 8, 6]
I mechanically see it but like hell was I going to be pull that out of my butt. Is there some sub-discipline of computer science I should be looking into to really get into that kind of thing? At best, I have only ever dealt with anything like that when dealing with triangles in 3d, and nothing where I would conclude something like that off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It was phone with an online collaboration link. We were able to talk to each other and type into a shared text box.

I'm not sure what you all are getting at:

Given your input set of [3, 4, 7, 1], the output they wanted would be [28, 21, 12, 84]
I kinda-sorta see that in what you have, but I don't see how you're getting there--with the zeroes in particular.
Is foldr and foldl Hashell stuff? That would explain why I am oblivious to it.

For people following along, there's a Stack Overflow about the literal question I had:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2680548/given-an-array-of-numbers-return-array-of-products-of-all-other-numbers-no-div

You have to keep them from using division because otherwise you'd just get the product of all elements together, then divide by the element at each index to get each individual element's result.

It looks like the trick for a 4-element array is to multiply down. I think this is what the interviewer wanted to see:
code:
[1,         [0],         [0][1],          [0][1][2]]
[[1][2][3], [2][3],      [3],             [1]      ]

Assume the input is: [1, 2, 3, 4] 

That transform computes this:
[1, 1, 2, 6]
[24, 12, 8, 6]

Multiple down the columns:
[24, 12, 8, 6]
I mechanically see it but like hell was I going to be pull that out of my butt. Is there some sub-discipline of computer science I should be looking into to really get into that kind of thing? At best, I have only ever dealt with anything like that when dealing with triangles in 3d, and nothing where I would conclude something like that off the top of my head.

The 0s in those arrays should be 1 but it's otherwise correct, then you just do a quick merge to get the result.