Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe
I never had anything so drastic as being kissed and not being able to pick it up, but there were about 5-6 instances between high school and my mid 20's where I found out months or years after the fact that a really cute girl had a huge crush on me and I never picked up on it. It wasn't because I was Retardacus - it was that I had such low self esteem that I wasn't looking for signals because I assumed there wouldn't be any :smith:

I hate to even bring it up because it's on SA and I'm getting married in two months so it doesn't even matter anymore, but I honest-to-god thought I was the only person that happened to. Feels good to let it out :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

dog buttz posted:

There has so be some broken part of the goon brain that causes it to sense attraction pheremones where there are none and vice versa.

Hanging around in too much basement stank.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

I hate to even bring it up because it's on SA and I'm getting married in two months so it doesn't even matter anymore, but I honest-to-god thought I was the only person that happened to. Feels good to let it out :unsmith:

Congrats dude :)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

I never had anything so drastic as being kissed and not being able to pick it up, but there were about 5-6 instances between high school and my mid 20's where I found out months or years after the fact that a really cute girl had a huge crush on me and I never picked up on it. It wasn't because I was Retardacus - it was that I had such low self esteem that I wasn't looking for signals because I assumed there wouldn't be any :smith:

nah that's normal but liek one dude was getting kissed and another getting his hair played with and wtf how do you not grasp that.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Groovelord Neato posted:

nah that's normal but liek one dude was getting kissed and another getting his hair played with and wtf how do you not grasp that.

it is always easier when a lady puts on what i like to call the 'ol attracto helmet.

you just mention its availability like

"hey, in case you know im ever totally just not getting something, put this on"

:siren:

or acting like a robot, ymmv on that one.

generative grammer
Jul 28, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol "well she was kissing me and putting her head in my lap but i didn't pick up on it" how do you guys manage to breathe

I learned from American teen flicks that a girl might put on a show just to own a nerd loser in front of her friends and so I was 100% sure that a girl that had suddenly become insanely touchy feely after years of being unfriendly towards me (incidentally right after I hit puberty and grew a poo poo ton taller) was just playing around and I sure wanted to show everyone I'm tough and not going to get humiliated anymore. I kept my cool even after getting kissed three loving times. Of course after coming to my senses I didn't get a second chance until a decade later after a class reunion

Although my own lovely self-esteem didn't need any pop culture to make me imagine how a girl might scream "lol what the gently caress do you think you're doing" at the top of her lungs if I'm reading too much into a situation and make a move, even if she's sitting on my lap and grinding against me you just can't be sure!!!

This is my essay on insane sadbrain loser psychology

generative grammer fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 1, 2016

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

dog buttz posted:

There has so be some broken part of the goon brain that causes it to sense attraction pheremones where there are none and vice versa.

The vice versa part is actually from being too much of an oblivious goon, while the 'sensing attraction when there is none' part is nice guy poo poo.

That being said, yea...when you're a teenager everything is somehow an existential threat to your way of life, so I can deffo understand both genders being too dense at the time. Doesn't make it less retardicus lol, but still.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

It wasn't because I was Retardacus - it was that I had such low self esteem that I wasn't looking for signals because I assumed there wouldn't be any :smith:

TBH this is what teenage retardacus is all about. Your self-esteem is usually shot to poo poo, so either you fake it and get laid (or wind up raping some poor girl, if you're also socially inept/a bastard), or you don't fake it but because of that can't even imagine it as possible that a girl wants to gently caress you.

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

Awww, don't be like that. We're all just sharin' stories and singin' Kumbayah here! :unsmith:

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 1, 2016

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
drat! I feel like I graduated with a B.S. on the subject of Retardicus ITT!

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
or I could just be drunk, take your pick (or take Pick)

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

There was this really cool goth girl I went to high school with. One day my friends and I were playing Risk during one of our spare/lunch/spare combos, cuz we cool like that, and her friend came up to me and told me that goth chick wanted to "play with me."
So I invited her over to my house, but in hindsight I don't think she was expecting a Monopoly night with my friends.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

The Endbringer posted:

There was this really cool goth girl I went to high school with. One day my friends and I were playing Risk during one of our spare/lunch/spare combos, cuz we cool like that, and her friend came up to me and told me that goth chick wanted to "play with me."
So I invited her over to my house, but in hindsight I don't think she was expecting a Monopoly night with my friends.

:kimchi:

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

lmao at the stories of hapless girls trying to get attention from oblivious teenage goons. Thread is good again.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I was frequently oblivious in my younger days, and can only imagine how many times I was hit on by both guys and girls without knowing it. I didn't really get a clue until I was close to 30, and even now sometimes wonder.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Cnut the Great posted:

You sound like a genuinely nice guy who had nothing but good intentions. Regardless, I've forwarded this post to the police. Please don't rape and/or murder that poor girl.

Hahah. Dude, that was my thinking.

I figured it's one of two things:

1. She appreciates it for the small token that it is.
or
2. She thinks "Okay, this is something out of Silence of the Lambs. I hope he doesn't follow me home. o.o"

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Pick posted:

Dude just listen to the poo poo moon Atari posted. There are tons of guys who love the idea of a woman they think neeeeeeds them and can't live without them, soon feeding and all, and it comes from a place of possessiveness and deep insecurity

I'm sure there are.

I'm also sure there are women that "protect" their more vulnerable friends from men based on <reasons> that are really from said woman's idea that their friend "neeeeeeds them and can't live without them, soon feeding and all, and it comes from a place of possessiveness and deep insecurity". If your friend doesn't need a man that badly, I'm pretty sure she doesn't need excessive protection from her female friends either.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

Well yeah but young Werthers gonna young Werther

Werther huh? I think that implies more of a self-absorbed notion than what actually exists. Being fully aware of the situation and your place in it doesn't necessarily make you a Werther. And she definitely knew I placed it there because I was the only one in the shop before she started counting tips.

But I can empathize with Werther as he cultivates friendship and love with this person and realizing it can't work, removes himself from the situation.

The thing is: I give everyone an equal chance to disappoint regardless of gender. To imply self-pitying remorse and romanticism is a bit much. Speaking frankly, I am certain of where I stand with this person and don't really give a poo poo if the response is something I want. I'm still gonna go in and get my coffee and still going to make this person laugh.

But it's nice to see that you can place me into a category based upon a simple situation. Appreciate that. BTW, I think Werther is a great opera :-B

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
For me, I was just scared to death of getting curved. I didn't ever think about what other people would say. It was just my biggest nightmare to get the wrong idea, reach in for a kiss, she moves out of the way, and then then I have to look at her and say something. :gonk:

It used to freak me out so bad that in order for me to kiss a girl she would basically have to look into my eyes, flutter her eyelashes like she was Daisy Duck, and either say nothing or talk exclusively in that weird pre-kiss language that is goofy and meaningless but flirty and hard to describe. I had no balls in high school whatsoever.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Black girls are really into white guy hair. I know because the girl behind me would mess around with the back of my hair, even when the whole class was watching. She even gave me a head's up whenever I had a nose goblin going on :unsmith: But I didn't feel much attraction since she was overweight. She liked reading hilariously bad romance novels, and I sometimes teased her for it.

I suppose a similar deal with Indian girls? I got to be the "patient" (elective was EMT-B training) for a cute shorter girl. Instead of doing a proper c spine hold, she just kept fluttering her fingers in my hair.

But ad far as I could tell, I didn't even exist to her :shrug:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

mind the walrus posted:

Moore has always had that particular brand of tunnel-vision that gives him the ability to make next level pulp but at the expense of always being at a right angle (e.g: surprisingly well-adjusted, considering) from what his audience fundamentally is (broken).

Moore's cool but I think some of that is a put on on his part. In the comic that character is often one step ahead, he gets scenes that directly reference Mad Max and stuff, etc. Reading Watchmen as an adult I really get the impression Moore was trying to have his cake and eat it too with him where we're still supposed to root for him/his outlook a little despite it/him obviously being poo poo. This was at a time when stuff like Exterminator 2 and The Annihilators was being released unironically and there is no way in hell the possibility of people adoring this character didn't occur to him.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Moore's cool but I think some of that is a put on on his part. In the comic that character is often one step ahead, he gets scenes that directly reference Mad Max and stuff, etc. Reading Watchmen as an adult I really get the impression Moore was trying to have his cake and eat it too with him where we're still supposed to root for him/his outlook a little despite it/him obviously being poo poo. This was at a time when stuff like Exterminator 2 and The Annihilators was being released unironically and there is no way in hell the possibility of people adoring this character didn't occur to him.

Yeah you're probably right. I tend to be way too kind to Moore because I loved the poo poo out of Swamp Thing, Top 10, Tom Strong, the first 3.5 books of Promethea, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, For the Man Who Has Everything, and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Harry Potter shoots lightning from his penis to kill people! How can you not love that!). It's funny the older I get the less I enjoy Watchmen, even though it's easily his greatest technical achievement in storytelling and that's saying a lot.

CubanMissile posted:

For me, I was just scared to death of getting curved. I didn't ever think about what other people would say. It was just my biggest nightmare to get the wrong idea, reach in for a kiss, she moves out of the way, and then then I have to look at her and say something. :gonk:

It used to freak me out so bad that in order for me to kiss a girl she would basically have to look into my eyes, flutter her eyelashes like she was Daisy Duck, and either say nothing or talk exclusively in that weird pre-kiss language that is goofy and meaningless but flirty and hard to describe. I had no balls in high school whatsoever.
[/quote]

Been there. I remember being freaked out by the Cheshire grin some girls get when they're all "I'm about to get kissed" because I grew up thinking that sex was something women begrudgingly endured, and not craved/enjoyed.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

rorschach is supposed to be a superficially likeable ideal ultimately revealed to be a poisonous little poo poo who's ideas, theme, and character are ultimately at odds with reality

like everyfucking one else in the god damned comic

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

NecroMonster posted:

rorschach is supposed to be a superficially likeable ideal ultimately revealed to be a poisonous little poo poo who's ideas, theme, and character are ultimately at odds with reality

like everyfucking one else in the god damned comic

The only reasonably well adjusted person in Watchman is the younger silk spectre.

Watchman might as well be called Nice Meltdown considering the mental state of the main characters.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Like, I can't blame Moore for assuming no one would like these characters, because they really aren't likeable. It turns out he just didn't account for how loving broken humanity is.

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer

NecroMonster posted:

Like, I can't blame Moore for assuming no one would like these characters, because they really aren't likeable. It turns out he just didn't account for how loving broken humanity is.

Yeah, and there are people with romantic notions about the Joker... smh

He was fun to watch, but for anyone who saw that Heath Ledger performance and developed a crush, I don't know what to say.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

green chicken feet posted:

He was fun to watch, but for anyone who saw that Heath Ledger performance and developed a crush, I don't know what to say.

"I just like bad boys"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_87pRe1MUwE
:goonsay:

At the end of the day I don't mind poisonous bad characters like the Joker, Rorschach or whatever nor the sadbrains who idolize them. I just wish they didn't take up so much loving screentime. Spike was a great character on Buffy and yet his overuse nearly kneecaps the back half of the show. Yes I watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It was a good show.

And younger Silk Spectre is likable, which is deliberate because the course her life takes immediately after is kind-of tragic.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

green chicken feet posted:

Draco Malfoy. I'll never understand why so many girls I knew thought he was hot. He's so...twerpy. JK Rowling was appalled by the idea.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

CubanMissile posted:

Draco Malfoy. I'll never understand why so many girls I knew thought he was hot. He's so...twerpy. JK Rowling was appalled by the idea.

because he is a smug arrogant rear end in a top hat? that one is pretty easy to get.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tall, thin pretty boys with a god complex and the balls to gently caress with people trying to do good in the world--who are thus smug and pompous and let's all throw rocks at them--are popular with teenage girls and the occasional immature woman. It's almost like they flock to flamboyant, exciting displays of puckish masculinity to break up their overtly structured lives.

:iiam:

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
I'm an MRA PUA! *tips Fedora* :D

Not really! :D

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Just one girly at the tourney:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V2XGp5ix8HE

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Rorschach is cool and good in the context of being an obviously broken fictional character. It's hosed up to idolize and emulate him but there's nothin wrong with liking the guy.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
To be fair it's pretty hard to write coherently while simultaneously orgasming for half an hour straight like a piggy

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
I don't get why people trying to be nice and friendly has to mean a borderline autistic gush of awkwardness where they play out one side of an embarrassing encounter with a high school girl they're crushing on.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

In uni I was at a girls place to "hang out???" and left at midnight and she literally had to text me after a couple minutes going "so wait, you're actually leaving?"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

lohli posted:

I don't get why people trying to be nice and friendly has to mean a borderline autistic gush of awkwardness where they play out one side of an embarrassing encounter with a high school girl they're crushing on.

Everyone is assumed to be completely incompetent with women by default.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Sep 1, 2016

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

lohli posted:

Lack of experience. They were shy and awkward in high school, so they didn't try to make new friends nevermind romantic stuff. Social skills are skills. They have to be learned.

It's like if you tried learning to play the clarinet when you were 12, when other kids were first getting into band. The first time you try it squeaks and you're embarrassed, so you drop out of band so you don't look foolish. Most of the other kids keep at it, looking foolish and sounding awful, and by the time you're 16 it seems like everyone you know has played a tune, but you're still an unskilled squeaker. If you try joining band now you're going to look even more foolish than if you'd started learning with everyone else. So you go play videogames instead. You never learn that skill.

You can learn social skills as an adult, just like you can learn musical skills as an adult, but it's going to be more difficult and take more effort than if you'd just learned when everyone else learned.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Neo Rasa posted:

the other problem is in the end rorschach is the only one making the moral choice as he cares about the truth and dies for it.

also it's funny that the awkward out of shape nerd sleeps with the second most attractive character in the comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

Lack of experience. They were shy and awkward in high school, so they didn't try to make new friends nevermind romantic stuff. Social skills are skills. They have to be learned.

It's like if you tried learning to play the clarinet when you were 12, when other kids were first getting into band. The first time you try it squeaks and you're embarrassed, so you drop out of band so you don't look foolish. Most of the other kids keep at it, looking foolish and sounding awful, and by the time you're 16 it seems like everyone you know has played a tune, but you're still an unskilled squeaker. If you try joining band now you're going to look even more foolish than if you'd started learning with everyone else. So you go play videogames instead. You never learn that skill.

You can learn social skills as an adult, just like you can learn musical skills as an adult, but it's going to be more difficult and take more effort than if you'd just learned when everyone else learned.
What you said would be an ok explanation for the flow of an awkward conversation, but it's not like what was said was part of a back and forth or even a big string of messages that the guy was trying to add on to. It's really weird because it even includes damage control for things in the very same message, i.e. winking smiley face followed by "Sorry I'm not flirting I just like your picture sorry!

I meant that there is an odd tendency to play out the entirety of one person's part of a trainwreck of a conversation between two people in one single message. It's like looking at a scene between two characters where one character's part has just been edited out and you're left with what appears to be the other character onesidedly and nonsensically rambling.

• Locked thread