Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Mario Party

Everyone knows Mario Party. And everyone hates someone because of Mario Party. And ultimately, no one can really ever agree on the best Mario Party. What I'm sure most people won't say however, is that Mario Party Advance is their favourite. As far as the series goes, Hudson managed to make a video game perfectly emulate the feeling that Monopoly gives you towards those you are playing with. Whether that is a good of bad thing is also up for debate. But digression aside, Mario Party has always been a game meant to play with your friends. A game that is mostly a board game with the end goal to have the most stars. This game is not that at all.

Released in 2005 on the Game Boy Advance, Mario Party Advance is actually mostly single player. Taking in a quest like game mechanic rather than collection. But still keeping the collection in the form of “gadgets.” Which are really just glorified apps. But we'll get into that later.

The Let's Play

As Calli is the one that played this a lot years ago, she will be in control while I, Michael, take a back seat to truly experience this game. We will be completing all 50ish quests and showing off as much of everything as we can. Videos will post once a week unless we feel we have enough content to warrant more. As for lengths of the videos, it will be rather random as we won't be cutting off during a quest. So it may be 10 minutes, it may be 30. It'll be a surprise for us all!

And Now The Party

Episode 1 - Mario
Episode 2 - Yoshi
Episode 3 - Luigi
Episode 4 - Luigi
Episode 5 - Bonus 1
Episode 6 - Mario
Episode 7 - Peach
Episode 8 - Peach
Episode 9 - Peach
Episode 10 - Bonus 2
Episode 11 - Peach
Episode 12 - Mario
Episode 13 - Mario
Episode 14 - Mario
Episode 15 - Mario
Episode 16 - Mario
Episode 17 - Mario
Episode 18 - Luigi
Episode 19 - Peach
Final - Bonus 3

Warmal fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

This is a really fun LP, you even stopped reading the text in the same video. :3:

I've always had a soft spot for this game, just so Peach could be the hero that saves everything.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Yeah, I didn't really plan on reading all the voices. It takes a skill and dedication to do really good Mario voices. And that is something I do not have.

Calli agrees with you as well. She enjoyed this game so much because it's one of the ones where Peach got to be the hero.

That said, we aren't playing as the princess just yet. We'll be tackling it as everyone's favourite green dinosaur.

Episode 2 - Yoshi

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
This game looks pretty good. Honestly I'd never heard of handheld Mario Party games (but until last week I hadn't owned one since my old Gameboy Color so), and while the focus on minigames and moving on a board is the same this still seems different enough I'm kinda surprised they didn't give it another title. After all the 'Party' title comes from their multiplayer focus.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

This game has great sprite work and good color design.

Yoshi is a good second choice. :3:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Nice job so far. I hadn't seen this game in play, it's a lot better looking design-wise and has more interesting changes to the gameplay than I expected, compared to the main console versions.

Also, the passport creator probably puts this in the upper 50th percentile of Mario Party games on its own.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I think what I've enjoyed most about this game so far is it's minigames. They all feel very fresh and well thought out. Posing just enough of a challenge without it ever feeling unfair. Which is more than can be said for some minigames from the recent Mario Party games. The design of them is just very solid.

Insurrectionist posted:

This game looks pretty good. Honestly I'd never heard of handheld Mario Party games (but until last week I hadn't owned one since my old Gameboy Color so), and while the focus on minigames and moving on a board is the same this still seems different enough I'm kinda surprised they didn't give it another title. After all the 'Party' title comes from their multiplayer focus.

Keep in mind that this game came out on the GBA. There wasn't a huge focus on multiplayer games for the early handhelds, seeing as it was only achieved via link cable. And honestly, I can count on one hand how many times I had used that. So wanting to make a handheld Mario Party, I can't actually think of a better way to do it other than this. After all it is much easier to sell a game if it has a title people know. It probably wouldn't have sold very much at all if they had names it a different title entirely. Later hand held Mario Party games do forgo this style and stick more to the traditional way of playing.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To be fair, multiplayer on handheld systems and home consoles for that matter was a crapshoot until the implementation of connecting the system to the internet and online mode unless you were in a situation where multiple people could play together.

And keep in mind, internet connectivity was in development Hell for years if not decades.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Chimera-gui posted:

To be fair, multiplayer on handheld systems and home consoles for that matter was a crapshoot until the implementation of connecting the system to the internet and online mode unless you were in a situation where multiple people could play together.

And keep in mind, internet connectivity was in development Hell for years if not decades.

Sure didn't help that Nintendo was a generation backwards for internet connectivity.

Needing friend codes to play anything? A different friend code for the system AND the game? When they switched to Nintendo ID they finally were on the same level as the other developers. Don't need to trade codes to play with a friend, just play with your friend who is registered as a friend for your account.

That being said, Mario Party Advance has been the only Mario Party game I have enjoyed playing alone. The rest are too boring to play solo.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

IAmTheRad posted:

Sure didn't help that Nintendo was a generation backwards for internet connectivity.

Needing friend codes to play anything? A different friend code for the system AND the game? When they switched to Nintendo ID they finally were on the same level as the other developers. Don't need to trade codes to play with a friend, just play with your friend who is registered as a friend for your account.

That being said, Mario Party Advance has been the only Mario Party game I have enjoyed playing alone. The rest are too boring to play solo.

To be fair, Nintendo was arguably the biggest proponent of local multiplayer anyway and as mentioned before it took until Sixth-generation consoles namely the original Xbox for it to really take off and that was really in response to Sega's failed attempt to capitalize on the ever-growing online gaming scene with the Dreamcast and SegaNet in 1999 which itself was based on earlier failures such as Sega Meganet, Sega Channel, and Sega NetLink.

Like I said, this innovation took a long time to actually implement successfully and it wasn't like Nintendo didn't try to do so themselves with their own failed attempts of the Famicom Net System and Satellaview.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I also feel that with the advancement of online gaming and multiplayer, we've really lost the old split screen games. Same game co-op is slowly dying out and it's actually kind of sad in a way. When Calli and I first started going out we played a lot of games together, and now fewer and fewer really give us the option to do that.

But anyway, UPDATE!

Episode 3 - Luigi

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
As I said before, the reason that online multiplayer became so successful was because unless you had friends living in the same neighborhood/building as you, same game multiplayer is simply not viable outside of special events such as conventions.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Which I do understand. It was really amazing to get to play games with friends that either moved away or I didn't get to see very often. I just feel that perhaps we could have both local and online a lot more than we do right now. The last game I can remember buying with local multiplayer is Halo collection, and that was quite a while ago.

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008
In case you somehow didn't notice, the Mushroom Challenges aren't random. They happen every three turns. Since they give 3 turns, this means you can go forever. Unfortunately, since you start with 5, it also means that unless you land on (and win) a Minigame space or get a super challenge, if you fail a single challenge it's over (rolling again because of a green die space doesn't count as taking a turn towards the next challenge).

Sillyman fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 1, 2016

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Warmal posted:

Which I do understand. It was really amazing to get to play games with friends that either moved away or I didn't get to see very often. I just feel that perhaps we could have both local and online a lot more than we do right now. The last game I can remember buying with local multiplayer is Halo collection, and that was quite a while ago.

I don't think local multiplayer will ever die off completely despite its impracticality in the US as I imagine that it's more practical in countries with a higher population density like Japan which is why Nintendo was and still is a huge proponent of it. I believe fighting, party, and racing games still have local multiplayer since I know for a fact that Smash Bros.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

That is true. Once I reached high school and hanging out with friends got harder, playing online became a lot more practical. As long as party games and stuff of the like exist we won't see a complete loss of it. I just remember it seeming like 90% of games back in the 90's to early 2000's always had at least some sort of multiplayer mode. Even games that were mostly single player. Like Donkey Kong 64 and Conker's Bad Fur Day. Again, that's Nintendo though. And perhaps I'm a little biased as I didn't have a Playstation until a third or so into it's life cycle.

Sillyman posted:

In case you somehow didn't notice, the Mushroom Challenges aren't random. They happen every three turns. Since they give 3 turns, this means you can go forever. Unfortunately, since you start with 5, it also means that unless you land on (and win) a Minigame space or get a super challenge, if you fail a single challenge it's over (rolling again because of a green die space doesn't count as taking a turn towards the next challenge).

Calli knew that, and I did notice it. It brings out an interesting way to plan your moves. Unless you're like me and completely lose track of how many turns you took after jumping into a quest.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Multiplayer has changed from same room multiplayer to online multiplayer. Nintendo will likely still make local multiplayer games on their consoles. It's different for the handhelds.

Nintendo goes towards families on their systems. The Wii U in fact was a great product. Sure, you had to have the tablet controller. A family who got it probably had a Wii in the first place, so could just grab their Wii remotes to play the games multiplayer. They didn't need to go out and buy a bunch of new controllers in order to play a multiplayer game on the Wii U.

Or if someone was using the TV if the game supported off-tv play, someone could continue playing their game without hogging the TV. Of course these days a kid probably has a TV in their room, but if you had the Wii U hooked up to the family TV for multiplayer you didn't need to drag the system to the other room to play. Technically with some games you could play multiplayer using only the tablet screen (and controller, of course). The ones on the top of my head are New Super Mario Bros Wii U and Super Mario 3D World.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I don't think the Nintendo's handhelds will ever lose local multiplayer completely either since one of their key demographics is Japan which as mentioned before has a higher population density than the United States making stuff like Spotpass much more viable there than it is here.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

The downside to that is that when you come over to America, it is a lot harder to get the spot pass. If I go to my local mall, I might get lucky and get a single street pass. So when games that rely heavily on it come here, it makes it very hard to play. Now I imagine it wouldn't be that way in big cities like New York and Toronto. But my small city certainly doesn't have enough to make it worth taking my 3DS out.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I can a few passes on a good day when I take it with me to go out and about so I try to it take with me at least once a day whenever possible.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 7, 2016

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

That's pretty lucky. Part of me wishes we lived in a bigger city just for that. But it is what it is.

Hey! An Update!

Episode 4 - Luigi

We're still a long way off from completing this one. But we're thinking afterwards we might do all the main game Mario Party games. Just because this isn't causing enough conflict obviously.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Update!
Episode 5 - Bonus 1

We've made it pretty far already, and now it's time to check out some of the things we've been collecting. As I said, the gadgets are glorified apps. But they are charming none the less.

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008
Shroom Drop was meant to be a multiplayer pass-and-play game. Each player picks a mushroom, then you take turns shifting rows and trying to get your mushroom to the bottom first. Egg Drop is similar, I guess the idea is each player in turn adds an egg (or at least one egg but possibly more if you want to include some strategy) and whoever breaks the bag loses.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

That would make a lot of sense. Perhaps there was some sort of context we were missing for it. When playing them all in a row like that you certainly forget that some of them aren't meant to be played by yourself.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

We're now moving on in the main game. Things get a little chilly.

Episode 6 - Mario

I have to say I really love Bowser in this game. He has an amazing personality and may very well be the best of the best.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Time to break out the final playable character. This is also when we start making some actual progress on our quests. Making progress makes the game even more fun!

Episode 7 - Peach

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008
Ah, I see it's time for the part of the game where you just never run out of mushrooms because you don't fail minigames or land on minus spaces.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Barrel Peril is very similar to that Mario Party 2 minigame where you hide in a barrel to avoid getting grabbed by a Chain Chomp and dropped down a pipe.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

This is a really cute game but I can't imagine playing multiplayer on a single GBA being any kind of fun.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

It definitely wouldn't if it was a full game. But the multiplayer gadgets aren't so bad. We can have a little fun with them for a minute or so. The game clearly wasn't meant to be a multi-player experience.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

And now we reach our greatest challenge thus far! I make it sound interesting but it's card games. A card game is what stumped us. In all of this a children's card game did us in. Almost.

Episode 8 - Peach

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Did you know this was going to become a stealth game? Cause I didn't. All Peach needs is a cardboard box and she'll be a regular solid snake.

Episode 9 - Peach

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

A dog is not a child.

Cats on the other hand...

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Those are some fighting words right there. Unfortunately I am allergic to cats so we have no cat children.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Your house is a true matriarchy.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

You are completely correct I have no idea what you're talking about.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

We did a long session there with Peach, so now it's time to check out what we've been doing all of this for! Namely, more gadgets. These ones are admittedly much more fun than the previous batch.

Episode 10 - Bonus 2

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Okay. Bonus is now done, it's time to continue this game. Peach is still in the reigns as it seems she may be the best at Mario Partying. This time we also come face to face with a lot of power rangers. Well, one in particular. How fitting considering the Power Rangers 2017 trailer came out not too long ago.

Episode 11 - Peach

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Who knew that Nintendo would preempt the Amiibo situation with the Toad Force V DVD thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

They truly were in it for the long game. No one saw it coming. A plan beginning all the way back in 2005, teased 9 years before they finally came out.

• Locked thread