Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

anime was right posted:

bushido blade is a fg too.

i wonder why no one's made a new bushido blade. i know lots of ppl have tried to make similar games, but i really want to see a game with a little more production value and combat oriented thats competitive and focused on pretty much killing a dude in 1 or 2 hits, but done over a long series.

was legit thinking like chars for abilities and weapons for skillsets or something.

actually probably the best game ever to make f2p bc weapon skins and outfits and stuff.

divekick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Bushido Blade was very satisfying to play as a kid, you just had to land that one hit and that was it. The best stage was the bamboo forest.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

In Training posted:

Bushido blade is awesome

also, nidhogg

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i liked the sequel to BB much more. so many characters and weapon options. poo poo ruled.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Last Blade 1 got added to steam today for 10 bucks.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Real hurthling! posted:

i liked the sequel to BB much more. so many characters and weapon options. poo poo ruled.

i hated bb2 but i love BB so much

idk the gun guy ruined it for me

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i hated bb2 but i love BB so much

idk the gun guy ruined it for me

i think guns in that kinda game is cool conceptually idk

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Zand posted:

divekick

if only divekick was funny or interesting or played completely differently

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The gun couldn't hit you if you ran perpendicular to it I think.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

anime was right posted:

well considering its a japanese company, i wonder why they "fired" him.

they pulled a konami

and kojima'd his rear end

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

From the sounds of things it honestly wasn't one of those "promotions", it was more that he was supposed to work on Capcom's non-SF FGs but they're not making any more of those so he didn't have poo poo else to do there.

He said he wants to make an ultra-stoic Samsho with MK levels of gore, or a Windjammers-style game.

I hope that his samsho still has some level of goofiness w/ Galford and Tam Tam

At the same time, I'm kind of interested in what a not goofy Kyoshiro would be like

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Reiley posted:

The gun couldn't hit you if you ran perpendicular to it I think.

He couldn't. The hardest part was getting the hit on him since his defense was ridiculous (did you know a revolver can block a sword at nearly any angle??).

When I used to play BS2 vs other people nobody ever picked either of the gun people (there was also a lady) anyway so it wasn't an issue. Awesome game.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Virtual On is very much a fighting game. It's a shame the series peaked with Oratorio Tangram and never came back. EX Vs. doesn't quite scratch the same itch.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

Virtual On is very much a fighting game. It's a shame the series peaked with Oratorio Tangram and never came back. EX Vs. doesn't quite scratch the same itch.

I'm still annoyed the HD-ish rerelease is languishing on the 360 XBLA and will probably never get ported to anything else. :(

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Okay there I added yer goddamn KOF thread to the list

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Yo the first real footage of Mai Shiranui coming to DOA5 just came out and she looks pretty good:

uncleKitchener posted:

:siren: Mai will be out September 13th! :siren:

Here's some new gameplay video. First few parts are just button pressing and the second half consists of matches showing off some of her stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuVzeeFUQCc

She has a 9i jab, 11i mid and 13i low, so she'll be a fast character.
No indication of which weight class (light/medium) she'll be.
Fan is a linear projectile hitting high and can be side walked and crouched under.
Can cancel regular attacks into specials but it's not quite obvious which attacks she can cancel from. Some attacks may not have any special cancels.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

If Virtual On and Gundam Extreme Vs. are considered fighting games, then smash sure as hell is.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
KOF is good. Join us in our thread for actual good discussions.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

FanaticalMilk posted:

If Virtual On and Gundam Extreme Vs. are considered fighting games, then smash sure as hell is.

Virtual On: pick a character from a varied cast, attempt to deplete your opponent's hp to 0 using normal/special/super attacks unique to your character, matches are divided into individually timed rounds, 1v1, features meter management, has the same gamestate progression as street fighter
Smsah: pick a character from a half-varied and half-cloned cast, attempt to shove your opponent offscreen multiple times over 8 minutes of ill-defined round, timer only leads to sudden death mechanic that plays completely different from a normal round and then has random bombs rain to the field, features heavy rng elements that must be disabled to play competitively, isn't even intended to be played 1v1

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They don't play sudden death in smash competitive, I believe they just go to a 1 stock match or something.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Broken Loose posted:

Virtual On: pick a character from a varied cast, attempt to deplete your opponent's hp to 0 using normal/special/super attacks unique to your character, matches are divided into individually timed rounds, 1v1, features meter management, has the same gamestate progression as street fighter
Smsah: pick a character from a half-varied and half-cloned cast, attempt to shove your opponent offscreen multiple times over 8 minutes of ill-defined round, timer only leads to sudden death mechanic that plays completely different from a normal round and then has random bombs rain to the field, features heavy rng elements that must be disabled to play competitively, isn't even intended to be played 1v1

8 (which itself is being generous in this count) out of 52 characters is "half"?

And even if Sakurai doesn't like 1v1 play, the game was definitely balanced with 1v1 play later on. The patches that followed tournaments and 1v1 play definitely showed that even if they left some characters in the dust (RIP Jigglypuff).

In Training posted:

They don't play sudden death in smash competitive, I believe they just go to a 1 stock match or something.

They usually base it off of Percentage leads, and in cases where percentages are tied they would go to a 1 stock match.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

You say "half-cloned cast" like shotos haven't been a thing since the literal invention of the fighting game genre.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Ultima66 posted:

You say "half-cloned cast" like shotos haven't been a thing since the literal invention of the fighting game genre.

Ken and ryu have been p different for uhh like 20 years. there are no other shotos. a better argument would be something like mortal kombat but that sucks so who cares

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

dangerdoom volvo posted:

there are no other shotos.

What

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Akuma is a shoto and lots of nerds who care more about that dumb poo poo instead of actually playing or being good at fighting games will make arguments for any character with a fireball and DP to be a "shoto" or "shoto clone" and it extends all the way to games like Guilty Gear where Ky gets boiled down to 'fireball and DP" to new players as a way to convince them he'll be easy in this new game where everything is hard.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ky rules so trickery is good

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

The tournament standard is 2 stock 6 minutes for a match where each stock constitutes a round in the same way as Vampire Savior, a set is best 2 of 3. Every character is different and caters to a unique playstyle and after a year and a half of balance patching almost all 60 of them are viable. If the match goes to time the player with the lower percent and the same number of stocks wins, if it's a tie then the same stage is played and a one-stock one-minute round to determine the winner but this is extremely rare to actually happen. One of the major differences is rather than landing any blow to take the last pixel of health you need to find a way to land a specific finishing blow to close out a stock.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like when people get mad about the reused characters in melty blood like sion and v. sion or the three versions of akiha, even though they only share like 4-5 normals

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Most of the Smash clones are pretty different though? At least on the same level of Ken and Ryu in most games. Like it's really disingenuous to claim Ken and Ryu are totally different characters but Mario/Luigi, Marth/Roy, Link/Toon Link, and Captain Falcon/Ganondorf are too similar.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Real hurthling! posted:

ky rules so trickery is good

I agree but people say it in a way that gives a false sense that he's the way for a Street Fighter player to learn how to play Guilty Gear The Right Way and that it will somehow be easier overall instead of just saying, play who you find interesting and it will be hard at first no matter what.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I agree but people say it in a way that gives a false sense that he's the way for a Street Fighter player to learn how to play Guilty Gear The Right Way and that it will somehow be easier overall instead of just saying, play who you find interesting and it will be hard at first no matter what.

sure. but ridedada litenin

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Ultima66 posted:

Most of the Smash clones are pretty different though? At least on the same level of Ken and Ryu in most games. Like it's really disingenuous to claim Ken and Ryu are totally different characters but Mario/Luigi, Marth/Roy, Link/Toon Link, and Captain Falcon/Ganondorf are too similar.

The characters you listed all have different moves and different properties in the latest version of the game. Pit and Dark Pit are arguably closest to being actual clones, their only difference is one special move launches opponents at different angles (diagonally vs. vertically) and one has a stronger projectile at the cost of being harder to steer through the air.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dark Pit

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

This thread is a dark pit

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Goon in a Pit

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
smash 4 is boring and lovely except for the fact that ryu is really cool in that game because you can do sick combos

melee is a fun game to press buttons in

the smash community is terrible

thanks

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Ken and ryu have been p different for uhh like 20 years.

True, Ryu and Ken aren't even the same in World Warrior.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

No one said Ken and Ryu were the same. I said it was really loving dumb for BL to complain Smash has too many clones when they're all about as different from each other as Ken and Ryu in almost every game they both show up in.

There are lots of other valid reasons to claim Smash isn't a fighting game. "There are clones in the cast" is not one of them.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Endorph posted:

i like when people get mad about the reused characters in melty blood like sion and v. sion or the three versions of akiha, even though they only share like 4-5 normals

Melty Blood is a marvel of recycling and energy reutilization, it's Al Gore's favorite fighting game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

idk ky is still one of the easier characters to play and his projectile and dp are parts of hsi game that function nearly the same as they do in sf

nobody is saying 'he's literally just ryu,' there's tons of mechanical nuance to gg that isn't in sf and the game itself is very different but i don't think saying people should start with ky is some sort of massive lie, and i do think someone learning the basics with ky or sol is going to have less to worry about than if they try learning the game as johnny or bedman or whoever