Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Bad breakup, Loel. Don't be mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Wentley posted:

Bad breakup, Loel. Don't be mean.

I mean, obviously. But how much will it effect the ship? I dont want them throwing computers at each other.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
This is a long voyage where close quarters are shared by only a few people for extended periods of time. On one hand they have two decades to fret away and shouldn't be ordered to waste their lives. On the other this is a ship of 8000 souls and needs to be kept running and two people becoming hateful towards each other is unacceptable.

Have a sit down with the officers. Get all sides of the story independently, including current atmosphere and how it has been affecting ship performance, then discuss options, including rotating the crew out.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Ark brings up a good point in chat - the cryonics is messing us up a lot worse this time. Do we want to leave our notes and have the XO take the next one?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to vote we not wake up the same engineers we woke up last time, and try and go with a rotation if we don't absolutely need someone specific. Because if we're any indication, the more you freeze and thaw, the worse the backlash hits.

We should probably check if we have anyone whose field relates to the cryo units. I'm pretty sure the worsening of symptoms on cryo cycles is something that needs to be considered.

Anyway, do some investigation of the severity of the problem first, but it'll probably need us to wake up Tubal if it turns out to be equipment related rather than crew related.

I guess that's A/C?

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 28, 2016

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

ABCDEFG, and take a poll of the people woken for the second time if their waking was worse this time. Let's get some data here, and if everyone is worse, we want to have them designate others to wake instead next time.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

That seems ... excessive.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Loel posted:

That seems ... excessive.

Maybe skip the earlier engineers and Vladimir, after waking the science officer first and getting his feedback on our theory that repeated waking is worse.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

G + Ask if everything is ok on the bridge.

If it's necessary, we can wake the chief up later, but for now, stick with a regular engineer.
Plus, we kind of need to know about the situation with the Wardens. Crew morale is important, they're crew. And right now, they're literally the most important crew because they're the only ones with any firsthand knowledge of what the hell is going on around here. Last thing we need is them missing something because they're being pissy at each other a few years from now.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
G + start trading off with the XO

Seems like repeated wakeups might be harmful so let's be conservative.

Do we have any back-up wardens?

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
A, he will know which engineers we should wake up.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
A, waking no one who's already been woken, wake someone with detailed knowledge on cryo, get the story about the breakup and swap out Cedric and Bedia for whoever has decent enough suitability for being a warden, if the rift has any violence in its history. Leave as much notes as we can think of, get Vlad to take the next wake up check. We will alternate with Vlad on the check up.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Canuck-Errant posted:

I'm going to vote we not wake up the same engineers we woke up last time, and try and go with a rotation if we don't absolutely need someone specific. Because if we're any indication, the more you freeze and thaw, the worse the backlash hits.

We should probably check if we have anyone whose field relates to the cryo units. I'm pretty sure the worsening of symptoms on cryo cycles is something that needs to be considered.

Anyway, do some investigation of the severity of the problem first, but it'll probably need us to wake up Tubal if it turns out to be equipment related rather than crew related.

I guess that's A/C?

Yeah, this is my vote too. +1

Darkwind3
Feb 18, 2013
G, let's wake up some other poor sap before we go straight to the top. If this is a problem the engineer thinks we'll need Tubal for, we can wake him up. Also seconding to make sure the breakup is being handled well.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Arkanomen posted:

This is a long voyage where close quarters are shared by only a few people for extended periods of time. On one hand they have two decades to fret away and shouldn't be ordered to waste their lives. On the other this is a ship of 8000 souls and needs to be kept running and two people becoming hateful towards each other is unacceptable.

Have a sit down with the officers. Get all sides of the story independently, including current atmosphere and how it has been affecting ship performance, then discuss options, including rotating the crew out.

They can expect to live five times as long as you or me. This is more of an isolation deployment than a career project.

On the other hand, they're still going to feel like 20 years is a hell of a long time to be around only a couple of other people.

I wholeheartedly agree, and idly wonder who thought freezy-popping entire populations under the care of a handful was in any way a good idea.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 28, 2016

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Re: The break-up. We're not really qualified to help sort this out. If we're really worried we should wake the psychiatrist to do some sessions. Otherwise it's probably best to butt out, lest we make things worst with well-meaning meddling.

G

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Also, stay awake a couple of days, meander about and get used to our body and get rid of the headache before we take out our pills and go back to sleep. No point compiling the pain for next time.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Nettle Soup posted:

Also, stay awake a couple of days, meander about and get used to our body and get rid of the headache before we take out our pills and go back to sleep. No point compiling the pain for next time.

Yeah...about that. I wonder if we're at the point where we should order our wake-up to be delayed an extra year or so if everything is normal.

I don't want us to be incapacitated if poo poo goes down because we woke up too often when things were OK, like the wake-up before this one.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

FoxTerrier posted:

Yeah...about that. I wonder if we're at the point where we should order our wake-up to be delayed an extra year or so if everything is normal.

I don't want us to be incapacitated if poo poo goes down because we woke up too often when things were OK, like the wake-up before this one.

Im happy to let the XO take third wakeup, things seem pretty mundane.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Loel posted:

Im happy to let the XO take third wakeup, things seem pretty mundane.

Yeah that sounds like a good solution

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Maybe wake the medical officer and have them review our blood chemistry?

Balder
Apr 3, 2011
G
And I suggest that we wake atleast two engineers, the ones we deem most knowledgeable of the current problem. With two of them we should be able to get different perspectives if it turns out to be serious, and they can bounce ideas of eachother. I also think we should have individual talks with all the wardens about current morale et.c.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Nettle Soup posted:

How long can you be out of the freezer before it's problems to put people back in?

Or until you actually recover from the ill effects, at least sort of?

Do we have any documentation on this? Would it actually not be a bad idea to stick around for a thorough (weeks to a month and change) inspection so we aren't left literally reeling next time?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Sir Unimaginative posted:

How long can you be out of the freezer before it's problems to put people back in?

Or until you actually recover from the ill effects, at least sort of?

Do we have any documentation on this? Would it actually not be a bad idea to stick around for a thorough (weeks to a month and change) inspection so we aren't left literally reeling next time?

I agree with this, we should wake up a doctor and get an extremely thorough check up before going under again.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Get a check-up, wake up an engineer to look at it who hasn't been woken up yet, figure out how bad the breakup was and if they need a therapist. Didn't they think to include those sorts of getting over a breakup modules in the database?

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
G

Might as well spare Audun and Wasan the pain of being woken again; they didn't even deal so well the first time around.

Also, make sure we're writing down our dreams.

I vote to leave the Wardens' personal issues alone. They'll figure it out without our micromanagement, and they'll probably appreciate our discretion if we don't prod too much. Let's assume that the selection process expected some relationship tensions and expected it to work out.

Finally, did we read our entire report yet? Anything else on it that needs to be addressed?

(Yay, CYOA in spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace!)

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Dream analysis is a crock, and whoever's closest to a psychoanalyst on the ship would just tell us it's our anxieties over the mission and our being in command that are making us have dreams of failure, here's a sedative.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I vote A. Presumably the head engineer will know who to wake to deal with the problem. Also we avoid waking the two previous engineers, sounds like they wouldn't want this headache.

garland336
Feb 26, 2013
Nice CYOA you have here. My kind of speed.
Happy to see planet A got chosen. Like minded fools, unite!

While I'm happy seeing all the BSG comments I want to just say this sounds far more like the old Berserker books than BSG. And that's SUPER worrisome.

Ok with respect to the problem at hand:
- I agree on waking the XO; repeated wakings getting worse? Definitely get a nice long 'nap' for yourself. Though realistically, you're halfway there. It's a 22 year journey; Year 12 is at hand. So he's really only going to see one waking, feasibly. You'll be awake for the final waking AND the 20 year waking if you alternate. I think it'd make more sense to have him take two in a row with contingent orders to wake you on extreme emergencies only. Trust your subordinates to do their jobs. SIDE NOTE: IMAGINE HOW ROUGH THAT 60+ YEAR JOURNEY WOULD BE

- Talk only with Bedia unless she shows significant personal bias; I don't believe previous interactions with you will indicate she does. She seems very forthright.

With respect on who to wake up:

Head Engineer - with contingency to use other engineers EXCEPT previous two. Minimize that damage, after all.
Science officer - we need someone to check the space to ensure there's no external influences or local anomalies.

Leave security out of this for now, IMO.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Tagichatn posted:

I vote A. Presumably the head engineer will know who to wake to deal with the problem. Also we avoid waking the two previous engineers, sounds like they wouldn't want this headache.

Given the recovery time of both of the engineers, they may have already had it.

garland336 posted:

While I'm happy seeing all the BSG comments I want to just say this sounds far more like the old Berserker books than BSG. And that's SUPER worrisome.

- I agree on waking the XO; repeated wakings getting worse? Definitely get a nice long 'nap' for yourself. Though realistically, you're halfway there. It's a 22 year journey; Year 12 is at hand. So he's really only going to see one waking, feasibly. You'll be awake for the final waking AND the 20 year waking if you alternate. I think it'd make more sense to have him take two in a row with contingent orders to wake you on extreme emergencies only. Trust your subordinates to do their jobs. SIDE NOTE: IMAGINE HOW ROUGH THAT 60+ YEAR JOURNEY WOULD BE

- Talk only with Bedia unless she shows significant personal bias; I don't believe previous interactions with you will indicate she does. She seems very forthright.

Head Engineer - with contingency to use other engineers EXCEPT previous two. Minimize that damage, after all.
Science officer - we need someone to check the space to ensure there's no external influences or local anomalies.

I have no idea what the Berserker books are, so you might be off the hook there?

I'm working on the update, slowly, voting is not yet closed but there is a pretty solid trend shaping up.

This week is insane, I've had four five meetings in the past three days regarding various things for my wedding, which is ~3.5 weeks out.

E: Ok, the cover of the first Berserker novel is super 70's sci-fi and I love that stuff. Boris Vallejo is legit awesome, although GIS for his name is decidedly :nws:

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 1, 2016

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

garland336 posted:

I agree with this.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Both Beserkers and Vallejo is good imho

garland336
Feb 26, 2013

Olothreutes posted:

Given the recovery time of both of the engineers, they may have already had it.

I have no idea what the Berserker books are, so you might be off the hook there?

I'm working on the update, slowly, voting is not yet closed but there is a pretty solid trend shaping up.

This week is insane, I've had four five meetings in the past three days regarding various things for my wedding, which is ~3.5 weeks out.

E: Ok, the cover of the first Berserker novel is super 70's sci-fi and I love that stuff. Boris Vallejo is legit awesome, although GIS for his name is decidedly :nws:

The berserker series was one of those "I'm stumbling around the library and OH HEY THIS OLD rear end SCIFI COVER LOOKS COOL" finds of my mid-90's youth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berserker_(Saberhagen)

It's basically a race of super-advanced psychotic killer robots that are the remnants of some old culture. Your classic 'we made this weapon to kill things and it worked too good so now we're all dead' story. So people will go to explore planets and unearth a berserker hive and poo poo gets real - and fast. Good stuff. Often the solution lies in using the berserkers against themselves or tricking them (tricksy hobbitses! We hates them!).

This kind of reminds me of this. I'm less worried about cylons than I am about people. Aside from nukes, the cylons in the remade BSG were hardly as antagonistic as the paranoid crew / residents / themselves, IMO. Mostly they were just acting as glorified shepherds. The humans were almost always the cause of their own worst disasters.

And lastly, wow, you're doing a CYOA with your wedding 3.5 weeks away? Brave man.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

garland336 posted:

This kind of reminds me of this. I'm less worried about cylons than I am about people. Aside from nukes, the cylons in the remade BSG were hardly as antagonistic as the paranoid crew / residents / themselves, IMO. Mostly they were just acting as glorified shepherds. The humans were almost always the cause of their own worst disasters.

So you think the genius robot guy's "problem" could be that humans were too lazy to invest hard in colonization, so to prevent our extinction we needed a robot "push" out of the nest?

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

Butt Discussin posted:

So you think the genius robot guy's "problem" could be that humans were too lazy to invest hard in colonization, so to prevent our extinction we needed a robot "push" out of the nest?

I've been running under that assumption. All my paranoia has been directed at our fellow humans and the possibility of one of them wanted to set up their own personal slave colony or something.

garland336
Feb 26, 2013

Butt Discussin posted:

Not sure entirely if that's what's going on but it seems rather odd to me that a doctor would be a benefactor to mankind, drop an easily contained 'show' force of robots, launch a moderately successful campaign only to have it collapse inward on itself while he absconds to parts unknown (preferably not the ones we're in) to 'start again'?

Moreover the GM has made it very clear the robots became less and less human; meaning they were likely autonomous past the first or second generation and the good Doctor Wily was off planning his next steps. The robots in making themselves after function rather than form became a thing unto themselves.

Who knows what his long term goals and motivations were... but as it stands, it sure succeeded in getting the baby birds to leave the nest, eh?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

garland336 posted:

Who knows what his long term goals and motivations were... but as it stands, it sure succeeded in getting the baby birds to leave the nest, eh?

Whoever came up with that analogy has never seen a baby bird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzsHJcA8YSk

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Butt Discussin posted:

I just assume that with all the cyborgs running about, someone had to be infected with malware by the machines. Also,I find it hard to believe we finally won the war against the machines when we are all half machine now.

I think they want a new planet too and are piggybacking.

garland336
Feb 26, 2013

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I just assume that with all the cyborgs running about, someone had to be infected with malware by the machines. Also,I find it hard to believe we finally won the war against the machines when we are all half machine now.

I think they want a new planet too and are piggybacking.

Your response just made me realize that if the reactor was an act of sabotage, it 99% had to be human unless it was done before the reactor was activated otherwise the robot/cyborg would have been in real deep poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Im assuming we have a Luddite sabotuer cult somewhere, ala Safehold.

• Locked thread