Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

haveblue posted:

Clarence Beeftank is my favorite football player.

As for the bugs... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_rot . There may not be any one part of Madden that's literally 20 years old (especially considering the number of platforms it's gone through) but any project that undergoes continuous development for that length of time becomes a sort of software ship of Theseus and develops weird behavior there's no direct explanation for.

I was contracted for some of the physics modeling for Madden '96 (yes I'm :corsair:) - I received a royalty check this year, just like the past 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

synthetik posted:

I was contracted for some of the physics modeling for Madden '96 (yes I'm :corsair:) - I received a royalty check this year, just like the past 20.

You could probably sell those royalty checks to nerds for more than they're worth.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...

theshim posted:

The Death of Basketball might be the finest piece he's ever written, but if it is, it is only just barely so.

I just read the Death of Basketball and it is glorious. More weird gonzo sports writing forever.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Solice Kirsk posted:

You could probably sell those royalty checks to nerds for more than they're worth.

If they said anything other than the name of the consulting company I used to work for, I probably would try that.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

synthetik posted:

well way to gently caress up dude!!!! can't believe your 20 year old code is broken poo poo!!!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I wonder if certain numbers rolling over 255 still breaks Madden (I'm sure it does)

granted only people pulling jon bois poo poo are going to get the score that high but still, eight goddamn bits

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I wonder if certain numbers rolling over 255 still breaks Madden (I'm sure it does)

granted only people pulling jon bois poo poo are going to get the score that high but still, eight goddamn bits

Breaking Madden tried to break 255 points in a single game. The game hard-locks.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
It started making GBS threads the bed well before that supposed breakpoint as well; there's probably dozens of likely points of failure you'd have to get lucky in not tripping to actually verify how the game handled that variable.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

synthetik posted:

The notion that physics coding on the Genesis and on the Bone/PS4 is similar enough that even a single letter of your code remains is absolutely mindblowing, and says a great deal about EA, but good for you at least!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It probably isnt. Royalties are just weird.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
It could be a few lines of just plumbing. There's almost certainly plenty of Call of Duty code that dates back to Quake 1 in 1996. Same with the Source engine.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

spongeh posted:

It could be a few lines of just plumbing. There's almost certainly plenty of Call of Duty code that dates back to Quake 1 in 1996. Same with the Source engine.

Destiny still uses stuff from Halo 2. Not as big a leap but still :shrug:. My favorite example of games re-using stuff is in Deadly Premonition where they re-used animations straight from SWERY's previous project, Spy Fiction.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Mister Adequate posted:

The notion that physics coding on the Genesis and on the Bone/PS4 is similar enough that even a single letter of your code remains is absolutely mindblowing, and says a great deal about EA, but good for you at least!

If I had to put money on it, it was probably a physics util/library that did some sort of low level physics calculation written in C++. They are either still writing the engine in C++ or it was just sort of copy/pasted over when they made the move to C#.

I mean, the underlying football simulation has probably not changed too extensively over the last 20 years, most of the major changes are in external systems (like management or player creation systems) or in the visual layer.

Of course I'm just a code monkey that does straightforward Java plumbing for a living, so what the gently caress do I know :shrug:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I did not know that! Crazy. No wonder poo poo breaks in half though!

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I love walk-animation related glitches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AILNPwRAlaw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teWuBuxeiSQ

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksx5accMrrE

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It might be commonly known, but I've been playing Skyrim for the first time, and saw a mammoth jump like a hundred feet in the air.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I just started playing Fallout New Vegas for the first time and there's a character with a dog in the first few minutes of the game. The dog's eyeballs were hovering vertically next to its head.

Is there a :bethesda: smiley yet where it's written in crayon with backwards "e"s?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

whiteyfats posted:

It might be commonly known, but I've been playing Skyrim for the first time, and saw a mammoth jump like a hundred feet in the air.

Wait until you get clobbered by a giant for the first time...

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Not quite a glitch so much as an unintended oversight, but the Legion expansion for WoW launched a couple of days ago. As part of the introductory section, you work with famous NPCs and factions to establish a stronghold somewhere in the world.

...Except for one Druid on the EU servers who had done enough to piss off the faction associated with Druids so badly that he couldn't start the quests to make their stronghold (and, by extension, the entirety of the expansion). They had to release a hotfix made just for him. :allears:

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

Regalingualius posted:

Not quite a glitch so much as an unintended oversight, but the Legion expansion for WoW launched a couple of days ago. As part of the introductory section, you work with famous NPCs and factions to establish a stronghold somewhere in the world.

...Except for one Druid on the EU servers who had done enough to piss off the faction associated with Druids so badly that he couldn't start the quests to make their stronghold (and, by extension, the entirety of the expansion). They had to release a hotfix made just for him. :allears:

I still think they shouldn't have fixed it for him.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

I just started playing Fallout New Vegas for the first time and there's a character with a dog in the first few minutes of the game. The dog's eyeballs were hovering vertically next to its head.

Oh yes, this one was never officially fixed. I remember that it affected all dogs. Bizarrely, when the dogs got into combat their eyes would go back into their sockets, but it wasn't permanent. No idea what caused it, but naturally someone created a very lightweight mod to fix it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Elohssa Gib posted:

I still think they shouldn't have fixed it for him.

They really shouldn't. I remember intentionally pissing off all of Booty Bay to get a stupid pirate hat and never being able to go back.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Nuebot posted:

They really shouldn't. I remember intentionally pissing off all of Booty Bay to get a stupid pirate hat and never being able to go back.

You could get back with the goblins, either by killing a ridiculous number of Bloodsail - and I wanna say... sometime in BC, Wrath? ... they put in repeatable quests for cloth? to get your rep back up.

Druid thing is a little different. Bunch of those little factions you used to be able to go to war at during older/Vanilla days. I sure loving hope my Warrior main never needs any of those Ravenholdt NPCs!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

C7ty1 posted:

You could get back with the goblins, either by killing a ridiculous number of Bloodsail - and I wanna say... sometime in BC, Wrath? ... they put in repeatable quests for cloth? to get your rep back up.

Druid thing is a little different. Bunch of those little factions you used to be able to go to war at during older/Vanilla days. I sure loving hope my Warrior main never needs any of those Ravenholdt NPCs!

They should have just done the same thing. "Oh, you pissed off these druids and now they're story important? Get farming cloth!" The true WoW experience. Farming cloth for an eternity.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So I take it that's not allowed in real life?

e: got answered

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://gfycat.com/InsignificantInferiorFoxterrier

its battlefeild so you can never be 100% sure if its a glitch

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Here's an amazing Japanese TAS of Hyper Olympics in Atlanta with viewer commentary from Niconico.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQKAHtSX59o

Trans.note: Ankimo means monkfish liver, wwwww means laughter

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

spongeh posted:

For those not aware, Modern Warfare's renderer was built from Quake 3's. It's kind of an Engine of Theseus thing, but there likely is code that just doesn't need to be rewritten, even if it's just some simple math function, or code for passing messages between components.

Same for the Source engine, which descended from the HL1 engine, which was literally the Quake 1 engine.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kikka posted:

Here's an amazing Japanese TAS of Hyper Olympics in Atlanta with viewer commentary from Niconico.

I'm laughing so hard I'm crying.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kikka posted:

i wish there was a niconico comments thing in america

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Your Computer posted:

I'm laughing so hard I'm crying.

The 167km high jump has been a highlight so far.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

My favorite thing is how the replay feature tries to keep the insanity under wraps but can't help adding a whole 'nother layer of craziness.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 18:20 on Sep 5, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my favorite part was when he pole vaulted into the sun

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
this Ankimo guy sure is talented

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Serious Frolicking posted:

my favorite part was when he pole vaulted into the sun

That and the attempt before just for the landing and the camera angle for it all.

Best 15/20 mins spent on youtube in awhile

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The UFO javelin is gold, Jerry. Gold!

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

wait did he shoot a goddamned flying saucer out of the sky with a javelin

*efb*

what the gently caress is this game even

Basticle has a new favorite as of 19:30 on Sep 5, 2016

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
That Javelin/UFO thing has to be a call back to the original NES Track and Field, it's got the same thing in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZU0Qi92Raw&t=94s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

The UFO was an easter egg in the game already so is about the only none glitch thing going... Until it crashes into the stadium on the third throw. which again had me laughing.