Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Like a lot of old school CRPGs the difficulty is front loaded. Once you get past the initial hump, even as a non-mage, you're practically untouchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mid-loaded, more likely. If you spread out your character points, don't have a punchy main specialization and don't have a lot of well equipped followers, certain mid-game dungeons will kick your rear end.

As to the start? I just started the game, looted everything around the Zeppelin, headed away from it towards the statue (per Virgil's suggestion) and the world map, and I had to fight exactly one (1) Ailing Wolf. I could have explored the sidequest cave and fight some rats, if I wanted a challenge. Possibly more rats (and spiders, oh my) in Shrouded Hills, and some more rats as your first quest in Tarant.

Ok, you could ignore Virgil's / NPC advice, and head for the wolf packs that roam the world map exit out of the Crash Site, or try to tackle the Boil the moment you arrive in Tarant, but that's a conscious decision you're making.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I was thinking more of the bandit blocking the road who needs talking down, money (requiring some adventuring), or fighting and he's tough even with Virgil. But early game traps and poison are the most lethal thing than monsters.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Anything that's not on the Wiki for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is there a way to lower the aiming reticle on GTAVC on the PC? I have to aim at their feet to hit people.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

IAmTheRad posted:

If you bought the pre-order equipment DLC, keep in mind that once you take the various pieces of equipment out of the chest (located on the side of the tavern/inn in the starting town, IIRC) you can't put them back, so anything you don't have an immediate use for will just clog up your inventory and is better left inside. I think you can technically just sell them off to any shop and they'll stay in the buyback menu, but I'm not 100% on that.

Even without your inventory clogged with all that stuff, you might end up maxing out your inventory depending on your packrat tendencies (and thieving). The first house, with proper item storage, is located in Webwood. You have to do a short sidequest and upon completion you'll be given the house.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Crusader Kings 2. I'm trying it out for about the 4th time. Any recommendations? So far, I've been advised to start somewhere small, like Ireland, and aim to clear out achievements so to get used to the mechanics.

I have two dlc expansions, the Abraham one, and.... poo poo, I don't remember the other one, but anyway, I'm playing vanilla.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Crusader Kings 2. I'm trying it out for about the 4th time. Any recommendations? So far, I've been advised to start somewhere small, like Ireland, and aim to clear out achievements so to get used to the mechanics.

I have two dlc expansions, the Abraham one, and.... poo poo, I don't remember the other one, but anyway, I'm playing vanilla.

Not quite what you were asking, but it's time-sensitive so I'll say it anyway--if you did want to load up on DLC, this would be a good time to do it, because there's a steam sale on paradox games this weekend, and all of the DLC besides the latest one is like 40-50% off.

(I am not a shill, I just like to fill up my backlog of paradox DLC when there are sales and I'm sure I'm not alone).

Also, thanks for the Arcanum info folks--sounds like it's worth checking out after all, I'll just take the easy road and be a Dex harm mage.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Dublin in 1066 is probably the easiest start, aim to become King of Ireland. Get out of gavelkind inheritance to primogeniture as soon as you can, just reload if your guy dies before you can do that, it's not long. Keeping your inheritance plan together should always be in the back of your mind - what would happen if my guy died today? Who would inherit what, who would be the player character, what would happen next. Expect to need mercenaries to fight a war effectively and a good chancellor is important for all the claims you will need to manufacture for all the individual wars you need to start in Ireland. Get everybody married off ASAP (I think there is a Welsh princess who is still unmarried and unbetrothed before you do the first unpause who is worth pitching a proposal for your main heir IIRC?) and don't make siblings too powerful or they will lead revolt factions against you.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

IAmTheRad posted:

I'm gonna go against the grain and say that hard mode is more tedious than actually hard. Having even quasi-decent gear and potion-stock will make health management a non-issue, but enemies on hard will also have a billion HP and it's just annoying. Stick to Normal or Easy.

Chakrams are REALLY REALLY good. Like, spammable mid-range AoE stunlock good.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

gohuskies posted:

Dublin in 1066 is probably the easiest start, aim to become King of Ireland. Get out of gavelkind inheritance to primogeniture as soon as you can, just reload if your guy dies before you can do that, it's not long. Keeping your inheritance plan together should always be in the back of your mind - what would happen if my guy died today? Who would inherit what, who would be the player character, what would happen next. Expect to need mercenaries to fight a war effectively and a good chancellor is important for all the claims you will need to manufacture for all the individual wars you need to start in Ireland. Get everybody married off ASAP (I think there is a Welsh princess who is still unmarried and unbetrothed before you do the first unpause who is worth pitching a proposal for your main heir IIRC?) and don't make siblings too powerful or they will lead revolt factions against you.

Jesus, this sounds like a lot, but I'll work on it.

Seriously, this game :psyduck:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The tutorial will tell you most of what you need to know really. Don't worry about doing as well as possible, the games essentially about making decisions and seeing what stories come out of them

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

IAmTheRad posted:

There is a game-breaking bag fairly late in the game (2nd continent, I think) where if you visit certain shrines before plot calls for it you'll be unable to progress the story.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The tutorial will tell you most of what you need to know really. Don't worry about doing as well as possible, the games essentially about making decisions and seeing what stories come out of them

Yeah part of CK2 is accepting that your realm will be cut in half every so often. I used to try to "win" every situation and the game frustrated me. Once I learned to go with the flow whatever happens, I enjoyed it a lot more.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Anything for God Eater?

I'd like to second this. I saw a thread a while ago that basically said "Monster hunter but 10,000% more anime" or something like that. I checked out an intro video and..they weren't kidding. Holy poo poo. There needs to be some really good gameplay under that presentation to get me intrigued. I have Toukiden, but that doesn't quite do it for me.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

gohuskies posted:

Yeah part of CK2 is accepting that your realm will be cut in half every so often. I used to try to "win" every situation and the game frustrated me. Once I learned to go with the flow whatever happens, I enjoyed it a lot more.

Yeah this, think of it more of a story game like Tales of Arabian Nights and less of a min/max strategy game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cirofren posted:

Yeah this, think of it more of a story game like Tales of Arabian Nights and less of a min/max strategy game.

Ok, cool.

My first few 'stories' will be me not knowing what the gently caress I'm doing. 'He's the mad king!' they'll say, but really, no... I'm just terribly inept when 1542 different options are constantly facing me on every screen.

I WILL overcome, though.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

IAmTheRad posted:

Just do the story, only do sidequests if you find yourself underlevelled. The game started life as an MMO and it shows because there are waaaay to many side quests and if you try to do them all you will be massively overlevelled and burn out.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It is probably insane to ask this of a Paradox game, but anything big for Hearts of Iron 4?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ok, cool.

My first few 'stories' will be me not knowing what the gently caress I'm doing. 'He's the mad king!' they'll say, but really, no... I'm just terribly inept when 1542 different options are constantly facing me on every screen.

I WILL overcome, though.

Honestly if you wanted to, you could have a decent time just doing nothing proactive as a vassal count in the middle of Germany for 400 years and just riding the roller coaster. The only thing you really vitally need to do is make sure your character is married and having babies and as long as you take care of that, you're probably not going to "lose" the game in any traditional sense.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It is probably insane to ask this of a Paradox game, but anything big for Hearts of Iron 4?

I have a few pointers at least.

* Adding artillery to infantry divisions gives them a lot of punch for the cost. Even a support artillery group is good for offence.
* Wait with unpausing for the first time and get an overview of what you have, set up armies etc.
* Look through the tooltips of the National Focus tree. Many of them kinda give you a few roadmaps for directions you could go in.
* The big players normally benefit from building up for the first few years. Almost all start with some handicap that is worth trying to overcome. F.inst Britain can't use motorized.
* Play with Historical Decisions on for the first game. It means the AI is a bit more predictable, rather than WW2 breaking out because Romania invaded Italy or some random factor.
* You should not try to research everything. Prioritize stuff you need for whatever plans you have. Better to be good at a few things than average at everything.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Just do the story, only do sidequests if you find yourself underlevelled. The game started life as an MMO and it shows because there are waaaay to many side quests and if you try to do them all you will be massively overlevelled and burn out.

It didn't. It was always an actiony, vaguely Elder Scrolls-like open world game, but then purchased and wallpapered over to act as the prequel? lead-in? backstory? ummm, something for the actual MMO.

That said, especially if you have the story DLCs, trying to clear out every last task is definitely going to lead to burn out. Though most of the more generic side quests are stuff like "go to this area you were already headed over to and kill some monsters that are hard to miss anyway".

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
For Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis IV, what is the best way to get all the DLC during the sale if you already have the base games?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
To the guy who asked about Mirrors Edge Catalyst, here's what i found:

-Prioritise movement upgrades first, apart from a certain sort of side mission, combat is largely avoidable with hardcore parkouring. Keep moving and your "armour" regenerates.
-Do main missions up till you get the grapple, then time trials/dashes will be easier
-Its a beautiful game but fairly short story-wise.
-Some cool areas can only be accessed by re-doing missions
-Do nodes to unlock fast travel to areas
-you can only pimp up your runner profile using the companion app and not in game because gently caress you we're EA that's why

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Kalenden posted:

Anything for Thea: The Awakening?

Population growth is slow, so take care to keep your dudes healthy. For this reason swords are your friends, since they give shielding. Hammers and spears are good, but don't ever have more than one or two dudes fighting with each.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anything for Brigador?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

What's the best loyalty power in Mass Effect 2?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
if you have the DLC, then Arya's flare is hilariously OP, especially when combuned with Warp. Otherwise it depends on the class you're playing. I often take Tali's, because I like playing biotics and Tali's gives a reliable option for removing shields.

Edit: Scratch that, Flare is in ME3, not 2 :doh:

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 4, 2016

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Samara's is probably a safe good option.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I'm playing as a goody two shoes soldier, and I usually like to take Jack and Tali with me, of that helps decide which one to go for. I currently have flashbangs, because that was the first loyalty mission I did, but they're boring.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Then Ravenfood is right, Reave is good vs armor and barriers, which is something your squad is lacking.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

I usually took squad-specc'd Warp Ammo because I preferred weapons-focused guys as opposed to powers-heavy ones, but Reave is very good and restores health to boot.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anything for Wayward Souls?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm about to play Pillars of Eternity. I've never played games like this before much, I've tried very briefly tried Icewind Dale/Baldur's Gate but it was hard to figure out. I don't know a lot about D&D either, but watching videos of this game it seems a little easier to get the hang of. I just made a post in the PoE thread actually, asking about how a lot of the area around you is darkened out which I think would bother me. Still not sure if it goes away after you explore it or whatever, but advice regarding that and also other things would be welcomed. Assume I'm a little bit stupid.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Turtlicious posted:

Anything for God Eater?
I played way too much God Eater Burst on PSP. I hear GE2 is on Steam now, but all my advice relates directly to the first game.

-Find a balance you like between your melee, gun and shield. Melee and shields basically come in 3 sizes and each has some balance of speed and power. Your melee and gun choice have a big effect on your play style.

-Short blades are very fast and do primarily piercing damage. They can cancel into jumps and steps. They're my favorite. Buster blades are slow and powerful and mostly do crush damage. They can cancel into a guard. Their thing is charging up big single blows like greatswords in Monster Hunter. Long blades are somewhere in the middle. They also have the ability to spit out short range elemental burst attacks mid-combo.

-When landing melee hits, watch for the color of the sparks and listen to the sound. White sparks are almost completely ineffective. Meaty red slashes should tell you to keep hitting that part with that type of damage.

-Small shields deploy the fastest, have the lowest defense and have the lowest damage reduction while guarding. Tower shields deploy slowest, have the highest defenses and allow almost no damage through while guarding. Medium shields are right in the middle. There's one medium shield that gets an ability which allows it to deploy at the speed of a small shield among other cool bonuses.

-Match your guns with your bullets. There are weapon classes for crushing and piercing bullets. Shot types in the middle-ground type of gun fire faster and for less cost.

-If you have any investment in your gun mode at all, work on switching modes often. Build OP by landing melee hits, then switch and spend it all on custom bullets which deplete your OP in 2 or 3 shots. The tutorial will teach you how to switch modes as part of a combo.

-Just like Monster Hunter, observe the giant boss aragami and how it reacts to your attacks. Learn the tells so you know when it's safe to let your weapon turn into a giant goddamn mouth and take a bite out of the boss. You can combo into that too! This will give you special bullets based on whatever you just chomped. Either use them for damage or use them to boost your team.

-It is usually best to choose New-Type team members. These are the ones that can boost you with aragami bullets just as you can for them. Getting that buff is fantastic and amazingly helpful. One exception is Sakuya. She's a dedicated medic with great timing and piercing/homing heal bullets. She'll often shoot you full of the good stuff as soon as you take a lethal hit.

-Play with the bullet programming! There are game breaking bullets that can take the fun out of things, but they are out there if you need them.

-Order your team to split up and search at the beginning of any mission with a large aragami. It'll save you the trouble of going in circles trying to make initial contact. This is even better when there is more than one large enemy present. Even a lone AI dude can at least survive while you and any others take out the other one. As a matter of fact, AI partners do jack for damage. They're great distractions, buffers and healers.

-The game includes a continually growing list of details about aragami you've faced. It'll even fill you in on which type of damage to use and where to use it.

-Breaking parts of a boss does give you a shot at extra loot. It also usually reveals or worsens a weakness.

-drat it Kanon!

Just a quick edit.

-When making new bullets, remember that deco bullets do no damage and have no collision. This is why they add so little to the firing cost.

The mole bullet abuses this.

It clips through the ground in the direction you fire it, travels, then orients itself on the nearest enemy and fires from underground. It's amazing for poking distant enemies and pulling them in to a more open area.

Sentient Toaster fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 5, 2016

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

The version on PS4 and PC is God Eater Resurrection which uses GE2's weapons, monsters, and mechanics. Notably the costs of custom bullets changed so you may find the most game-breaking bullets are no longer possible.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I just made a post in the PoE thread actually, asking about how a lot of the area around you is darkened out which I think would bother me. Still not sure if it goes away after you explore it or whatever, but advice regarding that and also other things would be welcomed. Assume I'm a little bit stupid.

Are you familiar with RTS games, or Civ? It's "fog of war"--you can map an area, but the darkened areas represent everything outside of your party's line of sight. If it really bugs you that much, I think there's like a console command or something that gives you persistent sight over everything.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wish I'd known about Deus Ex: Mankind Divided:
  • In the hacking minigame, capturing the red node wins instantly and gives you whatever goodies are present in datastores.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

• In the hacking minigame, capturing the red node wins instantly and gives you whatever goodies are present in datastores.

the same was true in the original

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Subjunctive posted:

What?

double nine posted:

the same was true in the original

Whaaaaat!?

:negative: