Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

pokeyman posted:

I believe the subtitles just divide the amount of Korean Won by 1000, which is the rule of thumb approximate exchange rate. So the real prize is the subtitled dollar amount times 1000, in Won.

I think "$10,000" goes a bit further in Korea than $10,000 in the US in terms of living expenses (insert a million caveats here, I'm speaking incredibly broadly), so you should be slightly more wowed by the prizes than you might otherwise be at their face value.

I think it's more that Korean entertainers get paid (for the most part) an incredibly poo poo amount, even if they're famous. Only the top tier entertainers are what most would consider "rich" and even then they're not getting Beyonce kind of money or anything. So the final prize being $50k or whatever is totally decent considering most of them make that or less in a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
Also, most celebrities is Korea aren't paid nearly as much as in the west. Most celebs run a restaurant or a pc room to supplement their income. I think that is one reason the shows wouldn't work over here. The quality of contestant you would get over here would be reality show quality.

Edit : efb

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is the success of the Genius in Korea (is it even that successful?) off the back of the celebrity status of it's contestants or are they more concerned with skilled players of the game? In other words, is this show advertised/billed as "16 celebreties battle it out each week for the ultimate winner" or is it billed like a season of Survivor where there might be a couple of famous actors or athletes taking part in the season? Isn't the majority of the cast non-celebrity?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

xcore posted:

Is the success of the Genius in Korea (is it even that successful?) off the back of the celebrity status of it's contestants or are they more concerned with skilled players of the game? In other words, is this show advertised/billed as "16 celebreties battle it out each week for the ultimate winner" or is it billed like a season of Survivor where there might be a couple of famous actors or athletes taking part in the season? Isn't the majority of the cast non-celebrity?

I think it's a bit of column a and b there. They have some decently famous people famous people to draw interest (Jinho, Dongmin, Gura), some modestly famous filler (Sangmin, Changyeop), and intelligent lesser-to unknowns (Yuram, all of the season 3 audition people).

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Season 3 is off to a great start, back to maneuvering the games themselves as the priority. First episode was pretty fun, then in episode two I was pleasantly surprised as the main game was reskinned The Resistance: Avalon. Hyungmin played it exactly the way I would play it if I had a set team and could assassinate Morgana. Him and Dongmin are standouts so far, and I like how they're reasonable about asking everyone for info but don't trust so easily.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Max posted:

"The next game is . . .you know what, Yohwan looses. Enjoy."
Viewers: "Didn't we already do this game?"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Who would be good celebrity contestants for the genius america edition?

The only name I can think of offhand would be Weird Al.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

Tunicate posted:

John Hodgman and Andy Richter spring to mind.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Penn Jillette? He's an insufferable prick but very very smart

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Penn would be the Kim Gura of US Genius.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

They could probably get, like, Blossom and Wesley Crusher and the woman who was Winnie Cooper on that show in the 80s

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My favourite Sangmin moment in season two is when Jinho has gone to the Death Match with Jiwon and they are playing poker with 40 cards and Sangmin says Jinho has the advantage because he can count cards. Yooyoung says it's 40 cards not 20 like he counted before and without hesitation Sangmin responds "Jinho will remember them" :kimchi:

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Ken Jennings would be a good pick, probably

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

They probably could NOT get someone like hmm Conan O'Brien

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Jon Stewart? What's he doing these days

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure Daniel Negreanu could take some time away from playing Hearthstone to do the Genius.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

EmmyOk posted:

My favourite Sangmin moment in season two is

"I only need one marker. :smuggo:"

"Sir you must place both markers"

"Oh... okay :smith:"

That or the incredible face shirt he had in the final episode.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

America is harder to do fantasy Genius casting from than the UK because our celebrity culture is so different from the Korea's or the UK's. For me, Daniel Negreanu is exactly the kind of almost-not-a-celebrity I'd want American Genius to pull from. Maybe even try to make esports lightning strike twice and pull some insufferable NA dota star in.

If you wanted to go the more "guy who's known on TV as a genius" route, Greg Proops would probably be my pick.

EmmyOk posted:

My favourite Sangmin moment in season two is when Jinho has gone to the Death Match with Jiwon and they are playing poker with 40 cards and Sangmin says Jinho has the advantage because he can count cards. Yooyoung says it's 40 cards not 20 like he counted before and without hesitation Sangmin responds "Jinho will remember them" :kimchi:
Sangmin's respectful admiration/rivalry with Jinho might be one of my favorite things about The Genius.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tonfa posted:

"I only need one marker. :smuggo:"

"Sir you must place both markers"

"Oh... okay :smith:"

That or the incredible face shirt he had in the final episode.

Maduo posted:

If you wanted to go the more "guy who's known on TV as a genius" route, Greg Proops would probably be my pick.
Sangmin's respectful admiration/rivalry with Jinho might be one of my favorite things about The Genius.

I like that the following week he explained that after Open/Pass the overwhelming reaction was "GOD JINHO IS THE ULTIMATE GENIUS" and he wanted his own amazing moment.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm starting Crime Scene Season 2 and holy poo poo I'm in love with this cast after just the introductory episode. I expected to be all DONGMIN :swoon: of course but I'm also goin' HANI :swoon:

They've really ramped things up for Season 2, I'm excited.

I just wish Sangmin was involved I need more Sangmin in my life.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm starting Crime Scene Season 2 and holy poo poo I'm in love with this cast after just the introductory episode. I expected to be all DONGMIN :swoon: of course but I'm also goin' HANI :swoon:

I'm hoping for a kind of Moriarty situation with Sangmin.

S01E06 if she's fake crying that sucks.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Crime Scene S2E4 is probably my favorite mystery of the series.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

qbert posted:

Crime Scene S2E4 is probably my favorite mystery of the series.

I'm about to start bingeing again so I'll be there soon!

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Maduo posted:

. Maybe even try to make esports lightning strike twice and pull some insufferable NA dota star in.

Nah that is a situation that calls for Day [9]

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Patton Oswalt, Ken Jennings, Danica McKellar, Frank Abagnale Jr, and some unknown from the MIT blackjack team.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Tunicate posted:

Take advantage of the English-fluent Korean contestants and cast Ahyoung, Yoohyun, and Kyunghoon as having traveled to America to challenge America's greatest b/c/d-list celebrities to a game of Korea's national sport, The Genius.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Casting Phil Helmuth opposite Yoohyun would be hilarious.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

While the celebrity guests have a big role in keeping the whole atmosphere cordial, I don't think it's even close to the most important casting difference (when compard to western reality tv). The biggest difference is that, for the most part, contestants are competent. The unknowns are selected with the expectation that they'll be highly competent due to their backgrounds, and celebrities are generally chosen who won't make the whole thing a poo poo show.

We may never see a reaity show in the US that trusts its audience enough to understand The Genius level games and strategy, but it's a dream of mine to see at least see a season of Survivor where contestants are recruited from elite grad schools instead of gyms in California for a gigantic Survivor: Brains vs Brains vs Brains season. I've watched a couple of episodes of Survivor Australia (which is airing now), and I'm struggling through it because practically everyone seems dumber than the coconuts they are cracking open.

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Sep 1, 2016

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I think the real difference is the intentional melodrama factor, and everybody involved understands that that was why season 2 was such a ridiculous misfire. The Genius just doesn't hold up to the same sort of pranking and hazing that most Korean variety shows rely on.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Having finished Crime Scene S2, I couldn't really recommend S1. The S2 cast is fantastic. Jang Jin (the director dude) started out kinda weak, but by the end he ended up being my favorite contestant on the show. Him and the sassy Park chick. The cast eventually really gets into the ~roleplay~, in a good, highly entertaining way. The guests, too.

As :swoon: as I am over Jinho, I hate to admit it, but he's probably one of the weaker characters on the show.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The director pulling out that hormone clue was his big turning point.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I loved S1 Jinho with Deduction Park though, especially when the cast realizes that either they agree on everything, or else one of them is the killer.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Korea is such assholes for not making another Genius or even another Crime Scene! Come on!

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 2, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'd love to see Hyunmoo on The Genius because I feel like he'd win every game with the same grace and panache as Junghyun

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Just finished season 3 episode 5 and I have to say I am loving this Dongmin xx Hyungmin teamup. Ah young is super fun too!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Artelier posted:

Just finished season 3 episode 5 and I have to say I am loving this Dongmin xx Hyungmin teamup. Ah young is super fun too!

It's basically the Sangmin/Jinho teamup we always dreamed of without Sangmin's chronic betrayal syndrome. This Sangmin is super loyal and the Jinho is less princely but still gureito.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I think the biggest difference is that Sangmin wants to win at all costs. Dongmin wants a challenge and to put on a good show where he eventually wins. It's why he isn't afraid of death matches.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I don't think Atelier has seen it yet but I need to make a "Thug Life" GIF of that famous Dongmin plan.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

EmmyOk posted:

It's basically the Sangmin/Jinho teamup we always dreamed of without Sangmin's chronic betrayal syndrome. This Sangmin is super loyal and the Jinho is less princely but still gureito.

Yeah, I think that's it! The dream team that never was for two seasons. And while they're ruthless, they're not particular dicks and will always try to help people that lent them a hand earlier, even if they weren't privy to the MASTER PLAN. So refreshing coming right off season 2.

Just started episode 6 and I love the declaration at the start there. My two favourites this season going for it!

Actually this season has a great cast in general because everyone stands out, even if they're not very good players. I also like how in public they try to keep the group as a whole happy which changes the dynamic and strong willed players can control the flow of the game.

Also I love it when dealer nuna cracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Here is the best thing I have made. Artelier, don't watch this until you've heard the plan in episode eight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c71OKu3JqI