Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishbait
Apr 25, 2008

Seamonster posted:

I would actually say try to get an integrated graphics MBP 15 - she won't need the dedicated GPU. Last I heard, the 4K panel on the XPS 15 is one of the best you can get and great for showing off photography but photoshop UI scaling in Windows is utterly hosed. 256GB storage is going to get old real fast if she's storing loads of RAW files onboard.

Sorry, I forgot to put in there that she wants to stay with Windows. So the fact that the T560 I was looking at has the integrated Intel HD Graphics 520 instead of a dedicated card isn't a deal breaker? It also looks like they can be customized up to a 512GB SSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
I don't think Lightroom/Photoshop benefit that much from discrete GPUs so it shouldn't be a problem.

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I'm curious how this will go down, as apple pretty much explicitly patented that idea either last year or earlier this year. Not that it's terribly original.

Rumor has it Apple will be replacing the F-keys across the top of the keyboard on their rMBP with a touch OLED display, this just takes that concept one step further.
Lenovo already did that and everybody hated it and they went back to normal the next generation. Let's see how this is received.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
I don't think Lightroom/Photoshop benefit that much from discrete GPUs so it shouldn't be a problem.

Lenovo already did that and everybody hated it and they went back to normal the next generation. Let's see how this is received.

If Apple is doing it, of course it will become A Thing and every other laptop will remain poo poo.

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

KillHour posted:

Acer just made the world's dumbest loving laptop.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/08/acer-predator-21x-curved-laptop-details-uk/

"The new Predator 21X laptop sits at the very top of Acer's gaming laptop range. The curved screen, which has a resolution of 2560×1080, is powered by two of Nvidia's latest mobile GTX 1080 graphics cards."

:whatup:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Xenochrist posted:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/08/acer-predator-21x-curved-laptop-details-uk/

"The new Predator 21X laptop sits at the very top of Acer's gaming laptop range. The curved screen, which has a resolution of 2560×1080, is powered by two of Nvidia's latest mobile GTX 1080 graphics cards."

:whatup:

you're emphasizing the wrong part there.

in what possible world do you need SLI'd 1080s to power that.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

The Iron Rose posted:

in what possible world do you need SLI'd 1080s to power that.

Winning epeen contests. Mobily.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

It is pretty cool and also something I will never buy. Kinda like a disgustingly riced up truck.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Hello, Laptop Goons!

I'm looking into getting a new laptop. My current (and fast fading) machine is an Acer Aspire 1810tz which has served me well but is just getting too dang old (as is my knowledge of current laptops :corsair:)

Ideally I'd like to get something along these lines:
  • Screen: 14" or 15" screen. 1080p should be enough on that screen size, right?
  • Discrete GPU: I might run some engineering software on occasion, though rarely. Would like to be able to play somewhat current/older games like Skyrim, maybe Fallout 4 and some stuff I've missed over the years. It'd be nice to get something that would handle being plugged into a larger higher-res monitor or even a TV to run this stuff.
  • SSD: would be nice. I'd be OK with a small one for OS and secondary spinning for Data.
  • Build quality: Solid.

First and foremost, what GPU should I shoot for? Would a 960m be enough of should I go for at least a 980m? I'm assuming that the prices on laptops running these will drop in the next weeks/months as the 1060 machines are coming out, right?

Second, any make/model recommendations? I have an old aversion to HP (had one of those AMD Pavilions that heat itself to death) and have no idea if they're worthwhile these days.

Thanks!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you're willing to play Skyrim on Low, you don't need a discrete GPU. As long as your Intel powered laptop was built after Summer 2012. Fallout 4 probably does, though.

I would wait and buy a laptop with a 1060 in it, as is suggested in the OP

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Hadlock posted:

If you're willing to play Skyrim on Low, you don't need a discrete GPU. As long as your Intel powered laptop was built after Summer 2012. Fallout 4 probably does, though.

I would wait and buy a laptop with a 1060 in it, as is suggested in the OP

One thing I forgot was budget. I'd like to stick to around $1000 and I'm assuming whatever has a 1060 in it is going to be much higher than that.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

cigaw posted:

One thing I forgot was budget. I'd like to stick to around $1000 and I'm assuming whatever has a 1060 in it is going to be much higher than that.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Can you save another $300? Check out xoticPC and Amazon.

Unless you're buying a used laptop with a 970m or 980m for $800-$900 you have a bad value proposition.

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008
My brother in law is starting a comp Sci degree in a couple of weeks and is looking for a laptop.

Budget is looking to be a max of £800, but cheaper would be great.

He mentioned he'd heard mac's are great for coding on, which I have no idea the veracity of that claim. :iiam:

Spec wise, something that he's going to be able to run a variety of IDEs on and compile reasonably complex projects, decent battery and screen. I guess 15" but if anybody has any advice or thoughts on working on a smaller screen I'd appreciate the input.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Macs are great for comp. sci. stuff, not really any technical reason, rather UNIX underpinnings making them popular for historical reasons, and then the popularity ensuring that pretty much all software you'd want works great on macs. Linux is an alternative from that same perspective but it is such a crapshoot whether one runs into issues or not (e.g. some software one needs, some subtle hardware incompatibility, etc.) that I hesitate to suggest that route.

Screen real estate and a good keyboard tends to sort of be the key requirements for a lot of CS stuff though yeah (all depends of course), often advisable to not skimp on memory as well. With the budget suggested the Mac route may be hard (the Air 13 is the option, and is not too bad, but already over budget, and going at least 14" would be nice). I think the usual Thinkpad X/T suggestion will be the best bet here, assuming a good deal can be dragged up. Just going by new list prices a T460 is doable, but there are nicer options if better deals can be found.

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Macs are great for comp. sci. stuff, not really any technical reason, rather UNIX underpinnings making them popular for historical reasons, and then the popularity ensuring that pretty much all software you'd want works great on macs. Linux is an alternative from that same perspective but it is such a crapshoot whether one runs into issues or not (e.g. some software one needs, some subtle hardware incompatibility, etc.) that I hesitate to suggest that route.

Screen real estate and a good keyboard tends to sort of be the key requirements for a lot of CS stuff though yeah (all depends of course), often advisable to not skimp on memory as well. With the budget suggested the Mac route may be hard (the Air 13 is the option, and is not too bad, but already over budget, and going at least 14" would be nice). I think the usual Thinkpad X/T suggestion will be the best bet here, assuming a good deal can be dragged up. Just going by new list prices a T460 is doable, but there are nicer options if better deals can be found.

Ah that makes sense! He may be able to get a refurb or use the educational discount to get a better deal. I'll check out the usual ThinkPad suspects too. Thanks so much!

Anoulie
Oct 8, 2013
My laptop is on its last legs/hinges after a little over 3 years. It was a cheapo, so I don't mind too much. If y'all could help me find a new one, it'd be much appreciated. I'm gonna use it for studying (which is basically just viewing PDFs, though), surfing, watching movies, listening to music etc. My husband is a game developer and might take it to conventions etc. sometimes to show his games.

Here's what I (think I) need: Windows, at least 250 GB hard drive, upgrade-able with extra RAM slots, matte display with at least 1920x1080 resolution, not too big (under 16"), CD drive with burning abilities, built-in webcam and mic, HDMI slot, bluetooth

And ideally for under 700 euros.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Amazon's Gold Box deal of the day is a bunch of gaming laptops and desktop stuff. Not sure if it's fantastic deals but worth looking at.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
What are all these cooling options (Notebook Coolers, Copper Cooling, XOTIC PC Redline Boost)?

Why are the Sagers noticeably cheaper than their competitors? What's the catch? Do they break easily or something?

Between this two:

15.6” FHD 16:9 IPS LED-Backlit Display with Matte Finish w/ G-SYNC Technology (1920x1080)
15.6” 4K QFHD 16:9 Display with Matte Finish w/ G-SYNC Technology (3840x2160)

Is the IPS LED-Backlit important? Why did it get dropped?

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Can you save another $300? Check out xoticPC and Amazon.

Unless you're buying a used laptop with a 970m or 980m for $800-$900 you have a bad value proposition.
I'll take a look at those, thanks! Any thoughts whether or not the 1060 will be making its way into Dells and Lenovos anytime soon?

Katreus posted:

Why are the Sagers noticeably cheaper than their competitors? What's the catch? Do they break easily or something?
I too am curious about this. The last time I looked at Sagers was about 8 years ago and build quality was dubious; not sure if that's still the case.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I've had three Sagers since 2006 and have been happy with the build quality of each. I travel for work, so they take some abuse, though I'm as careful as I can be.

They save some money with things like not having TPM, and not having particularly standout keyboards, trackpads, or screens. None of those three are bad, but they're not stand-out and the screens are usually mature panels. The newest Sagers seem to using nicer screens.

They also save money on marketing and lack of retail store placement.

Finally, Clevo makes money as the ODM for other manufacturers. I don't know if they still do, but they were the ODM for Alienware years ago.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm looking at this laptop for when I travel for work or vacation. I just want it to be able to play games at 1080p at medium-high settings, and right now it'll just be used for WoW gaming wise, or I'd wait for the 10 series mobile cards. I do have a question for Xotic's "instant rebate" - is that rebate already applied, or is it like a normal rebate where I"ll pay the 799 and then get the 200 back instantly?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dirty Needles posted:

My brother in law is starting a comp Sci degree in a couple of weeks and is looking for a laptop.

Budget is looking to be a max of £800, but cheaper would be great.

He mentioned he'd heard mac's are great for coding on, which I have no idea the veracity of that claim. :iiam:

Spec wise, something that he's going to be able to run a variety of IDEs on and compile reasonably complex projects, decent battery and screen. I guess 15" but if anybody has any advice or thoughts on working on a smaller screen I'd appreciate the input.

Macs are sort of the lingua franca of writing code these days. I would get him a 13" Macbook Air at that price range.

Writing code on a Mac is at least a magnitude of order easier than Windows, because everyone writes their tool on their Mac, and then later ports it to Win or Linux.

Barring that, you can get him/her a Thinkpad of some kind, running Linux. You may be able to find a Thinkpad T450 for $800

Finally, he's actually going to be taking his laptop to class, don't make him cart around a 15" laptop all day. 13 or 13.3" is a humane sized laptop to give you a student.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Hadlock posted:

Macs are sort of the lingua franca of writing code these days. I would get him a 13" Macbook Air at that price range.

Isn't the air horribly out of date at this point, and is it wise to buy any apple product with their september event coming up in five days?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I used to think the air was out of date, but if you look at the Macbook (non air/pro) out has a tiny cellphone like Intel chip. The Air actually outperforms it in cpu. Battery life is comparable too. The Macbook is more like an Apple Chromebook. Also the keyboard on the new MacBook is terrible compared to the Air and Pro. So that's reason enough, for me.

eames
May 9, 2009

KillHour posted:

Acer just made the world's dumbest loving laptop.

I would pay good money to see Jonathan Ive's look on his face when somebody plops this down in front of him with a smug face.

A 8kg 21" laptop with a mechanical keyboard and a curved screen.
Now I feel guilty for giving Asus poo poo about their watercooling docking station.
Do people actually buy these things or are they just halo/marketing excerises á la Bugatti Veyron?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Mr E posted:

I'm looking at this laptop for when I travel for work or vacation. I just want it to be able to play games at 1080p at medium-high settings, and right now it'll just be used for WoW gaming wise, or I'd wait for the 10 series mobile cards. I do have a question for Xotic's "instant rebate" - is that rebate already applied, or is it like a normal rebate where I"ll pay the 799 and then get the 200 back instantly?

Terrible deal either way, the 960m is an awful card.

if you're really only paying $600 for it then it's not the worst deal, but it will not be able to play games at 1080p at medium high settings. the 960m struggles to maintain 30 FPS on low settings at 1080p, and i've had to turn settings down on multiple games.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Iron Rose posted:

if you're really only paying $600 for it then it's not the worst deal, but it will not be able to play games at 1080p at medium high settings. the 960m struggles to maintain 30 FPS on low settings at 1080p, and i've had to turn settings down on multiple games.

Man, standards have suddenly gotten way higher now that the mobile 10xx GPUs are so powerful. I've got an AMD 8790M in my big fat heavy work laptop and a 960m would be a huge step up from this garbage.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

Man, standards have suddenly gotten way higher now that the mobile 10xx GPUs are so powerful. I've got an AMD 8790M in my big fat heavy work laptop and a 960m would be a huge step up from this garbage.

to be fair i've been bitching about the 960m for a year now

it was a bad buy even compared to the 970m/980m. With pascal out, it's even worse in comparison.

I know Maxwell really made large strides in improving dGPUs, but Pascal has taken the crown.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Iron Rose posted:

to be fair i've been bitching about the 960m for a year now

It almost feels like the 960m should be on the productivity side of things and not the "GTX Gaming!" side.

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Writing code on a Mac is at least a magnitude of order easier than Windows, because everyone writes their tool on their Mac, and then later ports it to Win or Linux.

Barring that, you can get him/her a Thinkpad of some kind, running Linux. You may be able to find a Thinkpad T450 for $800

Finally, he's actually going to be taking his laptop to class, don't make him cart around a 15" laptop all day. 13 or 13.3" is a humane sized laptop to give you a student.

Thanks! I'll start looking into MBA's, the refurb store has a couple of 2015 MBPr's up around his budget. Are they worth looking at?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Well, I had settled on getting the new (new new) Razer Blade 14" with a 1060, and everything about it was what I wanted: 1080 screen, 16GB RAM, 512 SSD (and NVMe to boot), Pascal 1060, and in budget. Pre-orders had a ship date of September 30. Okay, fine.

They sold out already. :negative:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Alienware announced new laptops with Pascal GPU's. http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/2/12757830/alienware-gaming-laptops-ifa-2016
i7 6820HK in 17 and 15 inch models.
It's all great and all, but I also heard they reduced battery capacity to similar levels of their competitors. What the gently caress are they doing? That's battery life cut in half pretty much if true.

Edit: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Alienware-launches-new-Gaming-Notebooks.173070.0.html
Oh, thankfully it seems to be optional, but if they are going to sacrifice extra M.2 slots or sata interface for it I will be very sad.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 2, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

SinineSiil posted:

Alienware announced new laptops with Pascal GPU's. http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/2/12757830/alienware-gaming-laptops-ifa-2016
i7 6820HK in 17 and 15 inch models.
It's all great and all, but I also heard they reduced battery capacity to similar levels of their competitors. What the gently caress are they doing? That's battery life cut in half pretty much if true.

Gaming laptops are mobile desktops, not actual laptops.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

blowfish posted:

Gaming laptops are mobile desktops, not actual laptops.

And that means they should get inappropriately small battery? I don't play on the go, but I care about battery life while doing light stuff and current AW15 has amazing battery life for what it is.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

The Iron Rose posted:

Since this gets reiterated so often, I feel I have to reiterate the counterpoint too - I've got a Y50 from a couple of years ago with the 960m, and you very much can play games at 1080p at medium high settings. Just not super recent games. It's absolutely fine for, eg. Batman: Arkham Asylum, Alpha Protocol, Dishonored, probably MMORPGs since they're pretty old, or most indie things. Just don't get one if you're planning to 1080p new things and care about graphics quality more than you care about saving $800.

(Also, yeah, reasonable at $600, not reasonable at $800.)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Anyone with experience with Razer have any idea how long they are likely to delay before 1. opening up orders again and 2. actually shipping product? I know I'm being petulant, but I feel like they're selling the idea of a 14" Razer Blade with a 1060 rather than an actual thing.

Basch lives!
May 31, 2011
Grimy Drawer
Dinosaur Gum
That Acer gaming laptop is pretty cool. If only it weren't so drat ugly. And expensive. I've thought of doing similar stuff with a small gaming desktop pc, but for much less than 2-4 grand.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Dirty Needles posted:

Hadlock's reply is wrong in that for anything that isn't webdev, stuff works better on Linux way more. And the webdev stuff works on linux too. Linux is the "just works" platform and OS X is a bizarro-land where things are often broken.

You can always run Linux in a VM whether you get a Mac or PC. I'd say a 13" Mac versus a 13-14" Thinkpad is a crapshoot -- the main reason I'd go for a Thinkpad is that a Mac keyboard has a hard landing and that's bad for the joints in the fingers (the way I type).

sarehu fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 3, 2016

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

sarehu posted:

Hadlock's reply is wrong in that for anything that isn't webdev, stuff works better on Linux way more. And the webdev stuff works on linux too. Linux is the "just works" platform and OS X is a bizarro-land where things are often broken.

You can always run Linux in a VM whether you get a Mac or PC. I'd say a 13" Mac versus a 13-14" Thinkpad is a crapshoot -- the main reason I'd go for a Thinkpad is that a Mac keyboard has a hard landing and that's bad for the joints in the fingers (the way I type).

What was wrong with my suggestion of a Thinkpad running Linux in the next sentence?

It's debatable as to what tools work best for what systems. Think we can agree they both eclipse windows. I don't think buying a Mac is the "wrong" choice though.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Nothing! I'm sperging out, man.

Hadlock posted:

Macs are sort of the lingua franca of writing code these days.

You even had the right qualifier in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Hey I was thinking of buying the Razer Blade Stealth qhd 250something gigs. I don't need a gaming laptop and want something fast so I dont get frustrated when it gets choppy and I have like 20 tabs open. I also like it because its keys can glow and do funny things, can someone talk me out of this before I spend 1500 (CAD) on it? I'm also not interested in the 4k screen because of the battery life drain, massive price increase, and I have a 2 TB external to use for portable storage of media so I dont need the memory.

People were talking about new graphic cards coming out soon, Im assuming that doesnt apply to this purchase cause I think they use onboard graphics without the core and I dont really need graphics, I have my own gaming desktop thats p. nice. The activities I'll be doing? Chrome, p2p, watching videos, office stuff (in school still), maybe some dungeon crawls. Anyways if there's anything thats really strikingly bad about this choice does anyone have any input? I tried to look back like 10 pages but gave up, people seem to only talk about the Razer Blades. Thanks!