Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hell I've even seen some new Dreamcast emulators put out and those things hadn't been worked on in like a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

site posted:

Hell I've even seen some new Dreamcast emulators put out and those things hadn't been worked on in like a decade.

For real? Which emulators?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Hace posted:

For real? Which emulators?

I see two on emucr: reicast and redream. I haven't tried them though, so I make no claims to their quality.

http://www.emucr.com/search/label/DC?&max-results=12

Y'all should check out emucr. They got daily builds of like everything emu related. Including new builds of n64 plugins, so you might wanna give those a try for bk whoever was asking.

site fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 24, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

site posted:

I see two on emucr: reicast and redream. I haven't tried them though, so I make no claims to their quality.

http://www.emucr.com/search/label/DC?&max-results=12

Y'all should check out emucr. They got daily builds of like everything emu related. Including new builds of n64 plugins, so you might wanna give those a try for bk whoever was asking.

Emucr has a bad habit of not knowing what they're doing when they make those builds so don't expect them to work.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

dis astranagant posted:

Emucr has a bad habit of not knowing what they're doing when they make those builds so don't expect them to work.

Ah, I see. Well, I haven't had any trouble with project64.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's mostly that their choice of compiler flags seems completely random and rarely has anything to do with what actually works well with a given emulator.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The biggest issue with N64 emulation is that it's just not what PCs do today. The Gamecube's graphics chip (GX) isn't that far of a stretch from a modern GPU, but the N64 is a dizzying array of RSP/RDP, texture tile memory, manual DMAing, and other tricks that aren't quite like what GPUs should do.

Additionally, the RSP is programmable, and developers can upload their own "microcode". While some emulators do try to run that code directly ("LLE"), it's slow, and so most emulators just rewrite the microcode in C++.

I think we've discovered around 16 microcodes in active use, total. Rare, in particular, was fond of making a lot of changes to the microcode -- Rare accounts for 4 out of those 16.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Dolphin 5.0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS7Fl30JZcA

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

That's amazing work.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Incredible job, gobsmacking release!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
How much / what has changed in regards to file structures in 5.0? I know i had to mess around and reorganize all my poo poo when going 3.X -> 4.0 to not lose stuff like the home menu setup or the game-specific cheats i added. I even wrote myself a little reminder at the time that's still in my Dolphin directory.

quote:

Pre-4.0 Dolphin:
- Has "User" Directory for GameConfig, Maps, Shaders, Themes and the Wii System menu

Post-4.0 Dolphin:
- Stores its GameSettings (!), Maps, Shaders, Themes and Wii sysmenu stuff in the "Sys" directory
- Also stores rest of settings at C:/Users/[User]/Documents/Dolphin Emulator/
- uses old local User directory with portable.exe in root
- alternatively, define own User settings path via registry at:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Dolphin Emulator\UserConfigPath

Anything i should know in that regard when going to 5.0?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
N64 emulation being where it is is a major reason I decided to go through RGB-modding my N64. It's not nearly as arduous/costly as some of the other retro console RGB mods (like the NES) and that way I can just stick with the carts themselves. Main issue at this point is having to work on maintaining the lovely N64 controllers going forward.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

HenryEx posted:

Anything i should know in that regard when going to 5.0?

I'd like to know this too.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So where's the portable version.

Okay so new problem, I keep getting this error message, seems it can't load some images or something?

Okay nevermind, seems it just doesn't like Sandboxie.

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 24, 2016

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Looks like I'm about out of reasons to keep my Wii around.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:yeah:

Been dying to give Skyward Sword a proper go

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I should probably get around to modding my Wii and dumping all my games.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I may post this on the Dolphin official forums, but I wanted to try here as well.

I've been using Dolphin for a fair while and I have always been very impressed with it. I often use it to play games that I own like Punch-Out! and NewSMB so that I can avoid the annoyance of Wii controls, not helped by the tiny Wiimote, lack of traditional controller support, and my huge hands.

Recently, I discovered the fan project NewerSMB Wii and I wanted to try it on Dolphin before I did any homebrewing on the Wii U. A very, very impressive game, but I have perhaps found a bug that I don't recall having while emulating NSMB. Whenever I enter into the screen to check which levels I've been into and which of the Star Coins I have found, the emulation locks up hard. I have to hit Escape or kill the emulation and start over. Other than that, everything is grand. I've had this problem in version 4.x of Dolphin and also 5.0, which just came out. Has anyone encountered this?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Some friends and I started 4 player Tales of Symphonia last night and it works great. Thank you dolphin.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I fired it up and haven't managed to crash Zangeki no Reginleiv yet so that's an improvement.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The business of the Megaman thread and MN9's release had me dig up MM Anniversary and X-Collection. Maybe Command Mission too, but I've never been able to get into that game.

Anyway, seems X-Collection runs 100% fine despite being an emulator running an emulator. Tried both X1 and X4 through the tutorial/opening stages with silky smooth consistency.

Anniversary however, the one I really wanted to get down with, has a weird issue with MM8. Whenever that game changes the overall screen value to white (grenades go off, title screen, you-got-weapon) the FPS drops to somewhere between 15fps and maybe less than 1. The FPS display usually doesn't dip past 9 but it's obviously struggling.
MM1 I only played a few minutes of (I was really itchy for some MM8 when I started this) and it seems to do fine.

Of other note, since I haven't tried in a few years, MM10 doesn't run like some weird slide show anymore.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Awesome! I dunno if its' D5.0 or upgrading from a Core2-Q6600 to i5-2500 that did it, but now everything runs smoothly! I've been mainly using Dolphin for party games since the games are easier to get into than even single-screen multiplayer PC stuff, so this definitely opens a lot more possibilities since not everyone has the same tolerance for weirdness that I do.

As for N64, even though it's been stagnating a bit recently, I've never had any serious issues running most games, though I'm sure there are some problematic ones. Of course, there's always room for improvement.

If anyone else is following this, there's also been some success emulating the WiiiU. I got Mario Kart running pretty decently (40-50fps, occasional stuttering) on the same machine using the Cemu: http://cemu.info/index.html Although MK appears to be more of an exception than the rule in terms of compatibility, it does work surprisingly well, with the only issue being seriously long loading times.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

My friends and I are looking for a version of dolphin with working wii remote netplay. Does such a thing exist?

Edit found one: 5.0-136

Edit 2: but you can't save in this version so it's not gonna work

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 9, 2016

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Wiimote netplay is severely broken no matter what version you use, unfortunately. You're better off waiting until it's reimplemented.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Is there a way to adjust the speed with which the cursor moves when using a stick to emulate a Wiimote? Under General Settings, the IR Sensitivity option is greyed out.

Edit: Nevermind, I think it's because I had Mario Galaxy open. I'll try this.

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 31, 2016

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Progress Reports return after a brief break to push out a stable release. Video recordings now gracefully split instead of violently corrupting on resolution changes, Wiimote netplay is back on the slab, cheats no longer leak from one game to another, and the RTC is now configurable for TASsers etc.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any way to install Dolphin on an Android device running KitKat?

I really want to try F-Zero GX on my NVidia Shield Portable but sadly the 5.0 update completely destroys this device (it actually causes speaker crackling somehow). Anyway since I am stick on KitKat, is there no way to run Dolphin on this? The device is rooted if that makes a difference. Thank you!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
August Progress Report! Triforce support has been removed with the intent of redoing it properly this time, Silent Hill is a ton faster now, a variety of depth issues are fixed, and an incredibly weird behaviour in Twilight Princess gets debugged.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Been playing paper mario and have done the recommended of keeping bounding box on and disabled EFB Copies to Texture Only, and works pretty meh on 5.0, but works way better (pipe transitions take like 40~ seconds and the fps drops to single digits, things that build on the world are abysmally slow) and quite a bit better on some random 4.0-7064 version I had laying around, any help to this? Forums bring that my 6900 runs older versions of paper mario better

i5-2500k and 8 gigs of ram if those things also help!

stringball fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 2, 2016

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
switch to OpenGL

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Vulkan will save us all. One day.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
nah, Vulkan won't help Dolphin, since the ways in which we're CPU bound won't really be fixed by Vulkan

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

The Kins posted:

August Progress Report! Triforce support has been removed with the intent of redoing it properly this time, Silent Hill is a ton faster now, a variety of depth issues are fixed, and an incredibly weird behaviour in Twilight Princess gets debugged.

omg can i play spiderman now??? i know where my night is going

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
How do you get save files to work over netplay?

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

switch to OpenGL

Didn't help, still getting pretty big slowdowns, any other suggestions?

e: turning everything down to the minimum setting helped a ton but now i'm getting unknown pointer in random numbers, hundreds of them if I hold the enter key down they pop back up instantly

stringball fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 2, 2016

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
are you using the 5.0rc build, or the final 5.0 one?

your gpu might not support bbox either, that might be a thing

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Kins posted:

I'm loving the fact that glitches and test cases are getting more and more obscure. Sure, let's figure out why a devkit demo isn't working right. And nowadays it's more often the fact that games were designed for GC and carry over all the weirdness that single console development has that's creating these interesting reports. Like, who on earth is going to predict that a Nintendo dev would use the gameID as a texture? What next, using the soundchip as a renderer? Using the memory card as a bit of extra RAM? Using disc read to sync cutscenes... oh wait that already happened.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Using the memory card as a bit of extra RAM?

A very common trick is to use the audio DSP's RAM (ARAM) as an extra 16MB of memory. On a system with only 24MB of memory to begin with, this is quite notable.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

I guess something was wrong with the game.ini file and turning off panic handling stopped the hundreds of errors

I just messed around with a ton of settings and something worked eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Suspicious Dish posted:

A very common trick is to use the audio DSP's RAM (ARAM) as an extra 16MB of memory. On a system with only 24MB of memory to begin with, this is quite notable.

Yeah, but they had to stop because whenever they put game memory in the DSP RAM it made the game instantly enter failure states and show text like "this is bullshit" and "how was I supposed to know I was supposed to <x>?"

• Locked thread