Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

He's not dead 'til he hits the ground, drat it. :mad:

No need. The ground came to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Oh, I actually thought it was a two page update. :blush:

I guess that even if Elka escapes, she's probably going to become an outlaw. It'd probably come in handy for the queen's divorce proceedings for Toma's public image to be tainted too.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SlothfulCobra posted:

Oh, I actually thought it was a two page update. :blush:

I guess that even if Elka escapes, she's probably going to become an outlaw. It'd probably come in handy for the queen's divorce proceedings for Toma's public image to be tainted too.

Toma wasn't married to the Queen, simply a high ranking aristocrat.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
According to the wiki its not the queen's sister like I thought it was for whatever reason, but she IS part of the ruling family which is a bit above 'just' high ranking aristocrat.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

reignonyourparade posted:

According to the wiki its not the queen's sister like I thought it was for whatever reason, but she IS part of the ruling family which is a bit above 'just' high ranking aristocrat.

Possibly. Depending on the size of a Dynasty being a member of the royal family is no guarantee of political relevance whatsoever.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
We're back with a fantastic callback :allears:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wow, Duane. Just, wow.

Also this was a few pages ago but Quigley's burn on Sette was great.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Honestly, Alderode a poo poo but this ain't a good look for Cresce either.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Duane's an honest man, an amazing spellcaster, and yet not a complicated person, nor a very deep thinker.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Duane's feeling the Johnson.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I really, really like this sequence. For a comic that leans so heavily on exposition it's nice to see that Unsounded can pull off a wordless scene this well too.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Yeah I actually checked back because I wasn't fully following what Iori was doing. Going over it all at once it was awesome, this comic is so good.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I would've absolutely loved it if Duane commented on how Lady Ilganyag was in bed.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
"You worship another wanderer in the muck" some pro Buddhist dialectic up in here, diggin' it.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Yo these magic duels are the poo poo. Hand birds are amazing.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Duane you're not allowed to kill Rahm, he's cooler than you.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Duane you're not allowed to kill Rahm, he's cooler than you.

What a terrible opinion.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Ok, so, what's the deal with the waterfall? Like, they were running at the waterfall to try and magic it for something, but when they got there duder was already magicking it for something, so they tried to kill him but failed, and fell off the waterfall? What were they trying to do? What is he doing? And why isn't pulling all this magic from the waterfall actually affecting the waterfall? I'm so confused...

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

A.o.D. posted:

What a terrible opinion.

I like Duane but he is objectively the lamest dork in the universe, this is the point

Captain Bravo posted:

Ok, so, what's the deal with the waterfall? Like, they were running at the waterfall to try and magic it for something, but when they got there duder was already magicking it for something, so they tried to kill him but failed, and fell off the waterfall? What were they trying to do? What is he doing? And why isn't pulling all this magic from the waterfall actually affecting the waterfall? I'm so confused...

Yeah, the whole ~*~the waterfall~*~ bit kind of falls flat.

Anyhow, what's happening is that the whole comic is based on this magic-as-physics-hack sort of thing where mages can transfer physical properties and forces, so something like the waterfall is a really powerful resource to a mage because it's got a kajillion pounds of downward force, which a mage can tap into and redirect elsewhere (read: some poor sucker's face.) Working with forces of that magnitude is not quick or easy if you're not a world-class wright like Duane or Quigs though, which is why the Crescian guy is just standing there glowing angrily for so long.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Right, but if they're drawing force from the waterfall that should have an effect on the waterfall. Like, she draws the element of sharpness from the sword on buddy's back to slash at his throat. While she's pulling that, the sword is dull. But if homedude is pulling tons of momentum from the force of water flowing down the waterfall, that should have an effect. The waterfall isn't being affected at all. He's just standing there with glowing hands and not doing anything, it's impossible to tell just exactly what is trying to be accomplished.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

:agreed:

I gather that the point is that he's tapping the pressure at the bottom of the waterfall, which isn't really visible, but yeah that doesn't really make for great visual storytelling.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Gabriel Pope posted:

he's tapping the pressure at the bottom of the waterfall

Ohhhhh shiiiiiit. :doh:

I didn't get that at all, but now that you've pointed it out it makes complete sense. I completely spaced over the word "Pressure" here, dang. And that makes way more sense than momentum, too. Rather than tap the momentum of the water and put it into something, sending it flying, just tap the pressure and then fill up the rocks around you to make magical grenades.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

It also might be that it doesn't take a whole lot of the total amount of kinetic energy in the waterfall to get poo poo done. So there might be an effect but not an easily visible one because the energy you need to gently caress a dude up is a really small fraction of the energy all that water flow has.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

It also might be that it doesn't take a whole lot of the total amount of kinetic energy in the waterfall to get poo poo done. So there might be an effect but not an easily visible one because the energy you need to gently caress a dude up is a really small fraction of the energy all that water flow has.

I think the way it's supposed to work is that you can "hold" a certain amount of aspect in your "khert ports" and then unleash it, the more you hold the more troublesome controlling it is and the faster you have to let it go before it messes you up instead. Better wrights are just better at every step of the process, but there's also some weird bullshit with "khert lines" that link up casters to the thing they're trying to effect. I guess that the peaceguard mage is tapping an ill advised amount of power from the waterfall, so that no one else can use it. If Duane were here (or maybe Quigley) he could steal control of the set up from captain stigmata, but Elka isn't good enough to do so. If someone did hijack his spell, he would probably explode spectacularly.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
He looks like he's halfway to exploding himself on his own--look at the closeup, he's blown one of his gloves apart from the sheer force and his face looks like it's about to rip itself off.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Gabriel Pope posted:

look at the closeup, he's blown one of his gloves apart from the sheer force and his face looks like it's about to rip itself off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJNR2EpS0jw

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Captain Bravo posted:

Right, but if they're drawing force from the waterfall that should have an effect on the waterfall. Like, she draws the element of sharpness from the sword on buddy's back to slash at his throat. While she's pulling that, the sword is dull. But if homedude is pulling tons of momentum from the force of water flowing down the waterfall, that should have an effect. The waterfall isn't being affected at all. He's just standing there with glowing hands and not doing anything, it's impossible to tell just exactly what is trying to be accomplished.

this is another one of those segments of the comic where i have no idea what the panel art is trying to convey, at all.

i feel like Cope just tries to pack way too much into her action scenes lately. the dialogue scenes are fine

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

"You're black and blue now. That's my attack!"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Iori continues to be the best part of this chapter.

PleasingFungus posted:

this is another one of those segments of the comic where i have no idea what the panel art is trying to convey, at all.

i feel like Cope just tries to pack way too much into her action scenes lately. the dialogue scenes are fine

tbh I really wish the peaceguard segment had ended with "Elan sacrifices himself and now Elka and Toma got away." The extended fight/flight sequence really didn't work for me.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Heartfelt redemption scene? Rip Rahm.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Yeah I generally have no clue what's going on in this comic anymore. The artist is trying to convey too much section at once. The magic hands were cool though.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Yeah I've very little idea what's happening, but a side character just became sympathetic so it's pretty certain they will be killed or worse soon.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Yeah I gotta admit we need to do some stocktaking at the moment... This poo poo is getting abstract with the magic and junk.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Only just now realised that Rahm doesn't have legs. Was this a thing people picked up on chapters ago?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Goffer posted:

Only just now realised that Rahm doesn't have legs. Was this a thing people picked up on chapters ago?

Yes. His original flying machine experiment backfired and the khert freaked out and basically deleted Aspect of Rahm's Legs (Solidity) and Aspect of Rahm's Entire Brother (Fukken Everything).

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Goffer posted:

It's been visible (so to speak) in the background since he appeared and I think it was spelled out explicitly when Iori was talking about the accident with the original flying pack.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Rahm has solid legs, it's just that they're not rendered anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Yes. His original flying machine experiment backfired and the khert freaked out and basically deleted Aspect of Rahm's Legs (Solidity) and Aspect of Rahm's Entire Brother (Fukken Everything).

His son, but yes.