Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Is Luke's homemade apple pie good enough to cover Foggy's fees though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If Luke reopens that bar, I'm sure they could work something out.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Luke ran a tight ship. Way better than Josie's. I'd 100% drink at Luke's place. Which I guess means I'd have died in an arson explosion engineered by Dr. Who.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Gyges posted:

Is Luke's homemade apple pie good enough to cover Foggy's fees though?
Only if it can hold a candle to Mags Bennett's applie pie

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

odiv posted:

Jennifer Walters?

It should be, but that would imply a Netflix she-hulk and i don't think the Netflix division wants a happier show, and moreover I doubt they would have squared the circle of how to show she-hulk on camera.

A tall woman in makeup like Lou Ferrigno runs a high risk of looking like poo poo, to say nothing of finding an actress who is uncommonly tall and can act. A CGI she-hulk just plain won't look good, and be expensive as hell.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Paint Gwendolyn Christie green and give her a long black wig. Boom done.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

mind the walrus posted:

It should be, but that would imply a Netflix she-hulk and i don't think the Netflix division wants a happier show, and moreover I doubt they would have squared the circle of how to show she-hulk on camera.

A tall woman in makeup like Lou Ferrigno runs a high risk of looking like poo poo, to say nothing of finding an actress who is uncommonly tall and can act. A CGI she-hulk just plain won't look good, and be expensive as hell.

She doesn't have to be She-Hulk! This can be pre-transfusion! Jennifer's a good lawyer even without hulkiness! :mad:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

She doesn't have to be She-Hulk! This can be pre-transfusion! Jennifer's a good lawyer even without hulkiness! :mad:

quote:

It should be (regular human Jennifer Walters) but that would imply a Netflix she-hulk

bolded part mine because I don't think it was clear.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It can also be post transfusion, because she can still transform back and forth. At first she didn't have much more control as She-Hulk than Banner did anyway, so if you gotta be dark that could be a horrible thing hanging over her head. Though the general poo poo that Bruce gets for Hulking out would probably be enough for her to keep it under wraps anyway.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That isn't the point. The point is that it directly implies that Netflix will use her as a She-Hulk'd player later on and while I want that I also don't think they've figured out the best way to do her effects. So therefore it is in everyone's best interests to keep her benched for the time being.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, its a fun idea but it kind of boxes you into a corner with the actress where if you ever did want to do She Hulk you might have to recast. Which isn't that big a deal but they seem to value continuity enough that it probably isn't worth what would just be an easter egg for comic fans.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Adrianne Palicki is tall enough she could pull off She-Hulk, and she already has Marvel experience! :)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Given that TV and Movies routinely make 5'6" actors look tall and 6'2" Hugh Jackman played famous short guy Wolverine, height really doesn't matter that much.

Edit:
As for the color, Star Trek figured that poo poo out a long time ago. With Batgirl no less.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 3, 2016

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

mind the walrus posted:

The first part isn't really necessary since Jennifer herself isn't particularly tall and she grows by about a foot as She-Hulk. The official stats put her at 5 foot 10 inches according to a quick look at the Wikia, but any height actress would work if they wanted and were going the CGI route to have a She-Hulk. That'd be unprecedented on a TV show budget though as far as I know. If they went the make up route however, like with Lou Ferringo, they might have to find a tall woman yea.

I don't really see that it'd matter if she wasn't that tall because She-Hulk's height doesn't seem that important to me - Hulk's character is all about his strength and physicality but She-Hulk's is more about humor and intelligence, and she switches back and forth at will during a lot of her publication history, so having her be smaller seems fine to me. I'd prefer they get the humor and oddity of the character's world down and have a short actress than the other way around personally, since She-Hulk plays a lot with the silliness of Marvel with super speedsters acting as messengers and having "No fighting" in their contracts because they bleed out super fast, court cases against dimensional concepts and what not.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 3, 2016

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I hope whoever plays She Hulk in the grim distant future at least looks fit and like she can throw a punch in hulkmode

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I can't even imagine the amount of sexist allegations that will start flying in they ever have a comic accurate She Hulk in live action.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
poo poo, quote isn't edit. Never mind.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well the trailers have shown people breaking their hands on Luke, Luke putting people through walls, and some funny lines. The three main things I wanted. Should be a good watch.

Anyway, I wonder how many episodes I will watch before it gets its hooks in and I binge the rest. Usually its around seven or so

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

tsob posted:

The first part isn't really necessary since Jennifer herself isn't particularly tall and she grows by about a foot as She-Hulk. The official stats put her at 5 foot 10 inches according to a quick look at the Wikia, but any height actress would work if they wanted and were going the CGI route to have a She-Hulk. That'd be unprecedented on a TV show budget though as far as I know. If they went the make up route however, like with Lou Ferringo, they might have to find a tall woman yea.

I'm not going to :goonsay: about height because you're right that all that really matters is that she's visibly taller than most of the guys. That was never really the concern. The concern is making a muscular green woman believable. The makeup route is the best visible solution as CGI will instantly look dated, but then yeah they need to find a really tall woman who is buff and can act. They could do a "skinny Steve" thing for Jennifer moments... but yeah as you can see even in the best brainstorming it all sounds hideously expensive for a TV show, and all the cool goofy "superhero law firm" stuff is right out from the get-go both in tone, cost, and the fact that Dan Slott's run was built on 50 years of Marvel lore that established the 616 as a place swarming with superheroes.

PriorMarcus posted:

I can't even imagine the amount of sexist allegations that will start flying in they ever have a comic accurate She Hulk in live action.

If she fights in a unitard? I can see people complaining but it all comes down to how they convey her personality. If they try to make her part of the "street-level" Defenders? Yeah because she'll be contractually mandated to not have a smile on her face in any publicity photos and look like some weird green dominatrix.

I'd rather see her start in the movies where it's established that she's basically "Ally McBeal + The Hulk - the drawbacks of the Hulk's powers." Then she could be a "guest star" from the movies injecting levity into the Defenders world. That will never happen as long as Jeph Loeb's horcruxes remain hidden, but I think that'd be the best way to do it.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
But I thought Sam Loeb was the last horcrux?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Cast twins. Only give one of them the crazy Marvel superhero workout physique.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Four Score posted:

But I thought Sam Loeb was the last horcrux?

He was the one that held Loeb's talent. The ones for his business acumen, marketing, and networking are still at large and those are the ones we know of.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

mind the walrus posted:

I'm not going to :goonsay: about height because you're right that all that really matters is that she's visibly taller than most of the guys. That was never really the concern. The concern is making a muscular green woman believable. The makeup route is the best visible solution as CGI will instantly look dated, but then yeah they need to find a really tall woman who is buff and can act. They could do a "skinny Steve" thing for Jennifer moments... but yeah as you can see even in the best brainstorming it all sounds hideously expensive for a TV show, and all the cool goofy "superhero law firm" stuff is right out from the get-go both in tone, cost, and the fact that Dan Slott's run was built on 50 years of Marvel lore that established the 616 as a place swarming with superheroes.

If she fights in a unitard? I can see people complaining but it all comes down to how they convey her personality. If they try to make her part of the "street-level" Defenders? Yeah because she'll be contractually mandated to not have a smile on her face in any publicity photos and look like some weird green dominatrix.

I'd rather see her start in the movies where it's established that she's basically "Ally McBeal + The Hulk - the drawbacks of the Hulk's powers." Then she could be a "guest star" from the movies injecting levity into the Defenders world. That will never happen as long as Jeph Loeb's horcruxes remain hidden, but I think that'd be the best way to do it.

I hope they do She-Hulk like the Son of Zorn is drawing in Zorn. Make her obviously a comic book artist drawing when she's hulked out and cast whoever is great in the role. Gamma radiation turned her into a freakishly strong cartoon.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

But it's the same problem as the Fantastic Four-- part of the novelty is that these characters are 100% in their visually other-wordly bodies all the time. Captain America, Thor, whatever, they are look like regular humans. Even Vision just looks like a guy in heavy makeup.

She-Hulk likes to be She-Hulk all the time because there are zero drawbacks to being so. She's as smart and sharp as she ever was only now she's a sexy amazon who doesn't need to worry about most physical threats. She's a total inversion of the Hulk dilemma, and a nice thematic confirmation of her adult maturity (including total comfort with her sexuality). When she has to look human she is explicitly annoyed, and a lot of drama is mined of her never being able to become She-Hulk again in another inversion of what her cousin Hulk wants.

Reserving her Hulk-ness for only key moments is well.... it betrays what makes the character interesting in the first place.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
It's not like comic book adaptations don't already regularly have a poo poo-ton of of references to comic book stories already. I can name a half-dozen actors who have played Batman off the top of my head. *

Giving some no name actress two lines as Luke Cage's lawyer who happens to be named Jen Walters dealing with Superhuman law isn't exactly going to kill my immersion if they recast her later. That's more of an Easter egg to the comic book fans.

(*Adam West, Michael Keaton, Christian Bale, Ben Affleck, George Clooney, and Val Kilmer.)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

mind the walrus posted:

all the cool goofy "superhero law firm" stuff is right out from the get-go

There's no point in doing She-Hulk if she's not going to be goofy and fun. That's the main draw of the character and basically always has been. She doesn't have to be part of a superhuman law firm, but not making her a lawyer who deals with weird law cases involving people/concepts like the Collector, Galactus, Luke Cage at least occasionally seems to be missing the point too. I'd rather not have her at all, or just be a throw-away reference/gag than make her just another grim and gritty street level defender re-imagining.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Just finished watching Daredevil season 1 and it was pretty freaking cool, I was told to watch Jessica Jones before season 2. I just finished Jessica Jones and that went to some dark places I wasn't expecting. One thing that I may have missed, did Murdock/DD show up in JJ at all? I swear someone told me he makes an appearance. Maybe I walked out of the room briefly when it happened? I'm about to start S2 of Daredevil now. These shows have been flipping awesome.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Philthy posted:

Just finished watching Daredevil season 1 and it was pretty freaking cool, I was told to watch Jessica Jones before season 2. I just finished Jessica Jones and that went to some dark places I wasn't expecting. One thing that I may have missed, did Murdock/DD show up in JJ at all? I swear someone told me he makes an appearance. Maybe I walked out of the room briefly when it happened? I'm about to start S2 of Daredevil now. These shows have been flipping awesome.

Daredevil never appears in JJ. That was just a rumor to drum up views.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That said there's some pretty blatant refs to JJ in DD S2.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And I recall a supporting character in JJ does show up in DD S2; it's really not a spoiler, more of a nod to viewers of both series that "yes this world is definitely connected" beyond Claire Temple.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Reviews are coming in for Luke Cage, and they're all pretty laudatory. Folks saying it could be the best Marvel Netflix show yet.

I'm not about to let myself buy into that level of hype, but a lot of what's being said sounds real compelling. Looking forward to it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Most importantly, one of the early reviews says that a character directly namedrops the flag waver without resorting to weird nicknames. Clearly the show is going to be good.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"Man I'd hate to be Captain America"

"Who?"

"The flag-waver."

"Wait that's who you were referring to?"

"Who did you think I was referring to?"

"Black Iron Man"

"Black Iron Man!? He's more of a flag-waver than Captain America?"

"He's in the Air Force, he's always on TV for those recruitment ads."

"But he's more of a flag-waver than Captain America"

"I'm not a mind-reader."

"........ so who do you think the 'Big Guy' is?"

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 8, 2016

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Sure he references Captain America, but will Dr. Strange reference Luke Cage? He better or this show will be poo poo. I can't like a thing unless it's validated by another thing I like.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Oh

Oh my goodness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jred0SxbnK8

Listen to that score

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm not feeling it tbh. Everything is on point... but Luke just trashed that restaurant way loving more than the crooks would have. It didn't look like they were threatening the owner's lives, so if it's just a robbery then the amount they could have stolen is almost guaranteed to be less than the cost of wall repair, electrical work, and replacing a streetfront window--with or without insurance.

It's :goonsay: as gently caress but really that just speaks to how high a bar Marvel has set that this poo poo bothers me.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

mind the walrus posted:

I'm not feeling it tbh. Everything is on point... but Luke just trashed that restaurant way loving more than the crooks would have. It didn't look like they were threatening the owner's lives, so if it's just a robbery then the amount they could have stolen is almost guaranteed to be less than the cost of wall repair, electrical work, and replacing a streetfront window--with or without insurance.

It's :goonsay: as gently caress but really that just speaks to how high a bar Marvel has set that this poo poo bothers me.

Well, don't forget the obvious edits that were made to squeeze the scene into a 1-minute sample. It's a taste of the action; by all accounts of the reviews that are dropping, Luke seems to be a more thoughtful character than that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The hype train doesn't need to be running 24/7. It's ok to admit that they might have cocked up verisimilitude in the name of being "cool" and it's not a condemnation of the show to acknowledge that. It's an imperfection. That sort-of thing happens--Daredevil's suit, Krysten Ritter, about 40% of Age of Ultron; recognizing that all of these things are more bad than good does not mean you can't enjoy them nor praise them.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
In fairness and sensibility: I also once made a disparaging post about one of Daredevil s2's action scenes that was shown in a preview, and it turns out that the clip chopped out a lot of the actual scene in the actual episode, which flowed much better. These preview clips really can be misleading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That is a fair point. I will reserve judgment, it's not like I'm not paying for Netflix for other shows so Luke Cage is just part of the package.

Even so the dude broke a storefront window and it doesn't look like he or the other guys were in imminent danger of killing either civilian. You'll have a very hard time convincing me that that was a smart move if he was looking to minimize senseless damage to his neighborhood.