Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Moridin920 posted:

haha "Poon Hill"
At least 2/3rds of the hikers never spot the famous Clit Rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Don't forget the "Israeli deal". This is when you stay at a tea house, ask them if you eat dinner and breakfast there, you get the room for free. They always say yes. You'll save quite a bit.

The walk is really not as good after you get over the pass. We took a bus. Just take your time and have fun! Also wear sure glasses over the pass to avoid snow blindness. That SUCKED

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Parts Kit posted:

At least 2/3rds of the hikers never spot the famous Clit Rock.

Ever since Graffenberg found that spot, that's all anyone cares about.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Moridin920 posted:

haha "Poon Hill"

This is an actual restaurant in my home town.

I have eaten there on many occasions, it is excellent.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Don't go admitting you ate junior poon on this here website, friend.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Aphex- posted:

I don't worry about taking photos non stop. It's not hard to take a photo and also appreciate where you are, they're not mutually exclusive.

it's hard when the family has to pile out of the car and pose painstakingly in front of X all the time though

I always just took photos of cool things and my dad would get mad that none of us were in any of them lol

now I get to see my pimply rear end 15 year old self in front of neuschwanstein castle

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 22, 2016

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Moridin920 posted:

now I get to see my pimply rear end 15 year old self in front of neuschwanstein castle

Your pimply rear end 15 year old self is what your parents want to remember, not noogenwang castle.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

High Lord Elbow posted:

Your pimply rear end 15 year old self is what your parents want to remember, not noogenwang castle.

yeah but the picture was IN MY ROOM

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Rondette posted:

This is an actual restaurant in my home town.

I have eaten there on many occasions, it is excellent.

Bet you had the veal

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Moridin920 posted:

yeah but the picture was IN MY ROOM

and they hoped to have a nice focal point and conversation piece to share with visitors after you've died young

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
anyone tried this?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/384750/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Looks light people on steam think it's garbo.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

It's neat. Don't pay full price for it.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

quote:

Climbing Everest in Virtual Reality Was More Powerful Than Any Real Life Adventure - VICE

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

I hope this features the Everest Eliminator.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

it's true. i abandoned my children to the elements. this game is my family now

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
ive locked myself in a walk in freezer and im not coming out until i summit

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

Fallows posted:

Climbing Everest in Virtual Reality Was More Powerful Than Any Real Life Adventure - VICE
:allears:

nuke earth tia

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
Sorry, didn't die in the mountains. Took some nice pictures, there's a reason to go to these places, they're beautiful.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

LastCaress posted:

Sorry, didn't die in the mountains. Took some nice pictures, there's a reason to go to these places, they're beautiful.

As long as you didn't leave a trail of poop, oxygen bottles, and energy bar wrappers you're okay with me

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

LastCaress posted:

If you ain't dying on the mountain, you ain't trying on the mountain. :colbert:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

LastCaress posted:

Gorgeous picture. Is that red bit in the middle the blood of the unworthy?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
prolly just light hitting the lens in the right way

that's a sick rear end photo

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

LastCaress posted:

That's an awesome picture!

Shame about the whole not dying in the mountains thing...

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Put my gear together for the base camp trip. I'm at 17kg (duffel and daypack combined) and that does not even include life saving cheetos rations! Gotta lose 2kg for the flight to Lukla.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

It's not everest but...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/02/utah-climbers-kyle-dempster-scott-adamsongo-missing-pakistan

quote:

Pakistan plans helicopter search for US climbers missing on Ogre II

Kyle Dempster and Scott Adamson have been missing for a week after their latest attempt to climb the notoriously difficult 23,000ft peak

The Pakistani military has set up a helicopter search for a pair of American climbers missing for more than a week after an attempt to climb the notorious Ogre II mountain.

Days of snowy and butty conditions had left rescuers unable to reach the remote peak to search for renowned alpinists Kyle Dempster and Scott Adamson, said Jonathan Thesenga, of Black Diamond Equipment.

But a break in the weather meant he Pakistan military helicopters were due to begin the search on Saturday morning local time. An organization called Global Rescue also has helicopters and a medivac aircraft on standby.

Dempster and Adamson, who are from Utah, were due back at base camp on 26 August after leaving five days earlier to begin their ascent up the north face of the 22,864ft (6,969m) Ogre II in the Panmah Muztagh subrange of the Karakoram mountains.

Bad weather had hindered rescue efforts since Sunday , which began on Sunday, Thesenga said. Four guides had been dispatched to search the mountain on foot.

Dempster, 33, and Adamson, 34, are two of the most accomplished alpinists of their generation, Thesenga said. The pair made the same attempt last year, when Dempster broke his leg after a 100ft fall and the two then fell 400ft while trying to get down the mountain.

Six other climbers, including two from the US, were at base camp on the mountain and ready to ascend if they were needed to help, he said.

“They have built their careers on cutting-edge alpine ascents from Pakistan to Alaska,” Thesenga said. “We remain optimistic that they are going to get out of the mountains and have this amazing story of survival to share.”

The Ogre massif, also known as Baintha Brakk, is regarded as one of the most difficult climbs in the world thanks to its steep, rocky faces. Doug Scott, the legendary British climber, broke both legs on the first ever ascent of the Ogre in 1977 and it was not climbed again until 2001.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Google that loving mountain what the fuuuuck. Its insane looking.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Ogre is a cool name for a mountain

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Jose posted:

Ogre is a cool name for a mountain

See also: Eiger

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

The Goatfather posted:

Days of snowy and butty conditions had left rescuers unable to reach the remote peak to search for renowned alpinists Kyle Dempster and Scott Adamson, said Jonathan Thesenga, of Black Diamond Equipment.

I hate when my mountains are particularly butty

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I hate when the Ogre gets all butty.

efb; I should have known googling Shrek's butt would leave me with no decent example and only mild existential dread of fan art.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

cloud2butt strikes again

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Wasabi the J posted:

Google that loving mountain what the fuuuuck. Its insane looking.

Went to google it and this was the first result:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/pakistan-helicopters-search-missing-us-climbers-41845068

They called off the search. rip fellas

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

that was their route

for perspective we're talking about ogre 2

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Syncopated posted:

See also: Eiger

I can’t decide if “Trango Towers” sounds badass, or like a some lame public housing development.

They look incredibly badass, though:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Hey gang, I can't remember if this has been posted before, but there is a documentary featuring our favourite Canadian lady on Youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEcHBFs-qME

VV it was originally aired in 2012 so probably a reupload, but I don't remember much of it. There is loads of footage of her own, plus talking head interviews with her which is a little spooky.VV

Rondette fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 20, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is that new or is it a reupload of the thing from a year ago or so?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Thanks for sharing. They tried to beat up on the climbing company but that woman wasn't turning around for anyone.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
well did she not reach the summit and come back?

like in her dreams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Platystemon posted:

I can’t decide if “Trango Towers” sounds badass, or like a some lame public housing development.

They look incredibly badass, though:

*Actually* Looks similar but that pic is the Torres del Paine in Chile.