Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx
I'm now convinced. Provided you are ambivalent towards what words actually mean, and you aren't terribly attached to the present position of the goalposts, Hillary is corrupt!

The most scrutinized couple in modem international politics decided to engage in the largest pay-for-play scheme in history. Utilizing a charitable organization with their name on it. To ensure the USG will... what, exactly?

This isn't intrepid reporters noticing that something is a little funky and if someone investigated, they'd find more. This is after literally millions of dollars of investigation going "there's nothing that even borders on illegal. That's proof she's doing corrupt things and hiding it even deeper, as the next documents will prove!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Crabtree posted:

If Saudi Arabia was so bad, why did Reagan, Bush Sr. and Jr have decent relationships with the country as well? Again, why is it bad only when Hilldog does it?

Because two things:

1. It's ok if you're republican.
2. http://www.vox.com/2015/7/6/8900143/hillary-clinton-reporting-rules

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Al Gore is a Chicom spy

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Crabtree posted:

If Saudi Arabia was so bad, why did Reagan, Bush Sr. and Jr have decent relationships with the country as well? Again, why is it bad only when Hilldog does it?

The Bushes are okay for Republicans to bash now. Something about "globalism."

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
the new yorker have started an entire new series about how much donald trump lies

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/introducing-a-new-series-trump-and-the-truth

of course it's the new yorker which is written and read solely by snivelling politically correct east coast elite communist bankers but my god it's amazing that a respected national publication felt the need to do a prolonged longform series on how much of a mendacious troglodyte the republican nominee is

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Pakled posted:

The Bushes are okay for Republicans to bash now. Something about "globalism."

Oh I'm sure they'll swing back around to fine and dandy allies in the middle east when we start the next war in somethingstan.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

edrith posted:

the new yorker have started an entire new series about how much donald trump lies

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/introducing-a-new-series-trump-and-the-truth

of course it's the new yorker which is written and read solely by snivelling politically correct east coast elite communist bankers but my god it's amazing that a respected national publication felt the need to do a prolonged longform series on how much of a mendacious troglodyte the republican nominee is

Who knows, it could entirely get some traction on the MSM, though likely it'll possibly be brought up on Maddow Monday and that's sadly as far as it goes.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'm excited to see the hot takes from the first debates, because the narratives are almost exactly the same as 2000 (stiff boring "fake" career politician that nobody likes and talks too much about policy V.S. Rich guy from a dynasty who is perceived as not very smart, but still "speaks for real america" and always says what is on his mind) and some commentator is going to take the bait.

Reminder: George W. Bush was asked about Yugoslavia in 2000 and DID NOT KNOW which countries made up Yugoslavia or who the President of Serbia was. Despite that he still had a detailed plan for Yugoslavia. Immediately after that question Al Gore answered with lots of policy details and knowledge. THIS WAS PORTRAYED AS A HUGE MISTAKE and the NYT published this the next day:

Looked up this guy and his argument now is that by campaigning against republican nominees dems have "cried wolf" over the years and Americans don't believe them now when they say Trump is lovely.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
It's always kind of baffled me that the right feels the need to make up murders, health scares and rape allegations to go after the Clintons when the truth would work just fine.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

Bachmann stuff

Reminder Bachmann is crazy and hid in bushes to spy on Gays and encouraged LGBT teens/children to kill themselves.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I admit I'm starting to worry some about Kellyanne Conway. She seems to be the smartest campaign staffer Trump has gotten so far and seems to be able to keep him on script so far, insane as the script is, at a time when expectations are so low that him not making GBS threads himself in any appearance is touted as brilliance.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

readingatwork posted:

It's always kind of baffled me that the right feels the need to make up murders, health scares and rape allegations to go after the Clintons when the truth would work just fine.

Annnnnnd what truth would that be?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/772080332682199040
https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedAndrew/status/772106796060250112

Black outreach, folks.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Night10194 posted:

I admit I'm starting to worry some about Kellyanne Conway. She seems to be the smartest campaign staffer Trump has gotten so far and seems to be able to keep him on script so far, insane as the script is, at a time when expectations are so low that him not making GBS threads himself in any appearance is touted as brilliance.

The thing about this is it'll raise his expectations for the debates, and the less likely he gets a free pass from the first debate, the better.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Evil Fluffy posted:

Until a major earthquake kills a bunch of rich white people nobody in power is going to give the slightest drat about it. Even then the blame will be on government being useless and not stopping the destruction.

Well the Oklahoma government is indeed useless.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

iospace posted:

The thing about this is it'll raise his expectations for the debates, and the less likely he gets a free pass from the first debate, the better.

My fear is that Trump's current team knows no-one is really paying attention to his rallies and so if they can keep these stunts in the media, he can still give his insane Nuremberg speeches and rallies as a nice treat so that he won't go off message during the 'outreach' events.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Night10194 posted:

My fear is that Trump's current team knows no-one is really paying attention to his rallies and so if they can keep these stunts in the media, he can still give his insane Nuremberg speeches and rallies as a nice treat so that he won't go off message during the 'outreach' events.

Yeah no one's paying attention to the speech in Arizona that literally everyone is talking about.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Night10194 posted:

The media won't, but Hillary will definitely make sure people know.

It also didn't help that certain parts of the media screwed the pooch with his anti-immigration speech (looking at you, NYT and WSJ)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My perceptions might be skewed some by having no cable and thus not being able to watch cable TV.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Night10194 posted:

My perceptions might be skewed some by having no cable and thus not being able to watch cable TV.

some of his rallies get broadcast on youtube tho, i don't have cable either but i've seen a few

unnoticed
Nov 29, 2005

That's odd...
Apparently black churches selling Jewish prayer shawls and presenting them to guests is a thing now:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Night10194 posted:

You really gotta stop worrying yourself to death every time Trump goes five seconds without being fascist garbage, The only people he's winning over are people he does not need in any way.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Geostomp posted:

Same as every other right wing position. What happens isn't as important as how it feels to you personally.
Isn't this literally every conservative argument in favor of hating trans people, "race realism," being anti-PC, etc?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Geostomp posted:

Same as every other right wing position. What happens isn't as important as how it feels to you personally. Manipulation is ignored because that would require you to admit being wrong.

Everyone does this, not just conservatives.

It's just more noticeable because conservatives are wrong on more issues

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

iospace posted:

Annnnnnd what truth would that be?

Probably that they have maybe one or two minor skeletons in their closet. The problem being that, if they actually existed, they would look adorable compared to the elephant graveyard Trump continues to build every single day. Thus, the media's gotta loving lie to the moon and treat everything Clinton does as some nefarious sign of evil while her opposition regularly shits his pants about everything.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
What's a good link for watching Trump's speech? I need to see the crazytrain in motion.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Dork457 posted:

Looked up this guy and his argument now is that by campaigning against republican nominees dems have "cried wolf" over the years and Americans don't believe them now when they say Trump is lovely.

I fully agree with this.

Yes, W was a bad president. McCain and Romney wouldn't have been great, either. But the language the left has used left no room to describe how horrible Trump is past that

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Where did they find a black church that would actually allow Trump to spout his hateful bullshit in?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

theflyingorc posted:

I fully agree with this.

Yes, W was a bad president. McCain and Romney wouldn't have been great, either. But the language the left has used left no room to describe how horrible Trump is past that

Speaking of Garrison Keillor, again

quote:

The dreamers in the Republican Party imagine that success will steady him and he will accept wise counsel and come into the gravitational field of reality but it isn't happening. The Orlando tweets show it: The man does not have a heart. How, in a few weeks, should Mr. Ryan and Mr. McConnell teach him basic humanity? The bigot and braggart they see today is the same man that New Yorkers have been observing for 40 years. A man obsessed with marble walls and gold-plated doorknobs, who has the sensibility of a giant sea tortoise.

His response to the Orlando tragedy is one more clue that this election is different from any other. If Mitt Romney or John McCain had been elected president, you might be disappointed but you wouldn't fear for the fate of the Republic. This time, the Republican Party is nominating a man who resides in the dark depths. He is a thug and he doesn't bother to hide it. The only greatness he knows about is himself.

So the country is put to a historic test. If the man is not defeated, then we are not the country we imagine we are. All of the trillions spent on education was a waste. The churches should close up shop. The nation that elects this man president is not a civilized society. The gentleman is not airing out his fingernail polish, he is not showing off his wedding ring; he is making an obscene gesture. Ignore it at your peril.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Where did they find a black church that would actually allow Trump to spout his hateful bullshit in?

My sister's sect would've allowed it. Prosperity gospel heretics are awful everywhere, in every way.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

I fully agree with this.

Conversely, this is also true of the right. They've spent so long describing even the most milquetoast centrist Democrats as the reincarnation of Karl Marx and Joseph Stalin's lovechild that when an actual leftist comes along (like Sanders, for example) they don't have the vocabulary to describe how such a person differs from the insane leftist radical image they've created of every generic Democrat.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There are plenty of black pastors and black politicians who will sell out black people without a second thought.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

FactsAreUseless posted:

Isn't this literally every conservative argument in favor of hating trans people, "race realism," being anti-PC, etc?

The response I've seen as to why government regulation of who can go into bathrooms doesn't fly in the face of the idea of small government is "It's not our fault we need to enforce what used to be common sense!"
Because I guess Caitlyn Jenner was the first transgender person in history or something.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

:eng101: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vgZaQrddSE

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 3, 2016

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/sep/03/breakthrough-us-china-agree-ratify-paris-climate-change-deal

The US and China have agreed to ratify the Paris Climate Agreement.

Maybe we can get a DTrump speech where he rails against the concept of the environment to remind young people why they need to vote for Clinton.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ShaneGoldmacher/status/772091438549139456

100% black vote confirmed!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

This is the same guy who thinks Starbucks puts gay semen in their lattes for some unknown purpose, I'm sure he'd be very welcoming to Trump if his church hadn't been repossessed and turned into a shelter for homeless gay youth.

e:

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

There are plenty of black pastors and black politicians who will sell out black people without a second thought.

All black pastors have been selling out black people for years

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

vyelkin posted:

This is the same guy who thinks Starbucks puts gay semen in their lattes for some unknown purpose, I'm sure he'd be very welcoming to Trump if his church hadn't been repossessed and turned into a shelter for homeless gay youth.

e:

I didn't know he said that thing about Obama and Putin, that's freaking hilarious

Fluffdaddy posted:

I wouldn't quite go that far but the doctrine of "don't use birth control, don't get abortions, carry every child to term and care for them yourselves" really doesn't really mix well with "people in poverty really shouldn't be having a dozen children that they can't afford to care for"

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 3, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Instant Sunrise posted:

i ended up re-reading those articles about how much of a shitshow romney's it infrastructure was back in 2012. how much worse do you think trump's is gonna be?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/09/01/trump-enlists-veteran-operative-david-bossie-as-deputy-campaign-manager/

Apparently his entire top campaign staff are all ex-employees of the same super PAC as well.

edit: David Bossie first gained notoriety for trying to break and enter into peoples' houses, and for barging into hospital rooms, because of some faked up scandal involving a pregnant woman who suicided in the 70s, and who Bossie claimed had gotten knocked up by Bill Clinton. Bossie's the biggest grossest piece of poo poo you could've stuck to Trump unless your entire strategy involves made-up scandals involving Clintons

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Fluffdaddy posted:

Just ask James Baldwin.

• Locked thread