Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

SperginMcBadposter posted:

This founder guy is convinced that punchthrough totally lets shots go through an infinite number of enemies, but when he posted his "proof" he cropped the gently caress out of it so I can't even tell if the damage is from his weapon or what.
https://forums.warframe.com/topic/694208-a-creative-way-to-nerf-scattered-justice/

If he's doing his tests in a mag bubble and counting the hit numbers that pop up, wouldn't he get extra numbers due to the bubble flinging the projectile around in itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Mithaldu posted:

If he's doing his tests in a mag bubble and counting the hit numbers that pop up, wouldn't he get extra numbers due to the bubble flinging the projectile around in itself?

Probably but he cropped those pics so aggresively that it's impossible to tell whats happening.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Probably but he cropped those pics so aggresively that it's impossible to tell whats happening.

I only noticed because he posted this video: https://gfycat.com/FaroffYawningIberianlynx

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
He's lying, knows he's lying, and his zealous cropping is a desperate attempt to keep any identifying information out that could be used to prove he's lying.

He'd make a halfway decent politician, in other words.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I don't think the cropping matters, given that he posted the video file he cropped the images out of. :shrug:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I didn't realize he had edited in that gyfcat vid until you pointed it out.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Yeah, he took 7 minutes to add that.

At this point i'm fairly confident that this is simply a result of enemies clipping into one another. Probably easily testable with Vauban.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

FunkyFlashman posted:

Sobek is automatic, some only use automatic guns because they don't like clicking 5 million times per mission or can't(like me). Sobek BP can be bought with credits, Sobek has insane dmg, Sobek has acid shells and can explode whole groups of mobs. Get Vaykor Hek, Hek and Sobek. Then you can spend 100hours deciding what gun is the best.

I'd take the Sober over the Hek almost any day. I am not a good enough shot to make it count if something is moving.

Plus there are really not a whole lot of situations where all that single target damage is useful... being able to explode a room of super high level mods with Acid Shells is much more fun.

Just don't use the Sober syndicate mod.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

This founder guy is convinced that punchthrough totally lets shots go through an infinite number of enemies, but when he posted his "proof" he cropped the gently caress out of it so I can't even tell if the damage is from his weapon or what.
https://forums.warframe.com/topic/694208-a-creative-way-to-nerf-scattered-justice/
Because it does, and I documented it in this very thread a year ago.

That thread is full of people with a garbage testing methodology (using a loving Miter for punch-though testing?), but the simple fact is that 1.2m of punch-through will go through anything you care to shoot at short of boilers.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Helter Skelter posted:

That thread is full of people with a garbage testing methodology (using a loving Miter for punch-though testing?), but the simple fact is that 1.2m of punch-through will go through anything you care to shoot at short of boilers.

That's not very convincing looking. You're shooting through a thin enemy.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Helter Skelter posted:

You're shooting at thin enemies and punch-through considers ONLY the distance traveled "inside something".

Here's a video where a Dread with only a crit mod hits 5 enemies at once because they're clipping inside one another:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nebydm_uDbA

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

That's not very convincing looking. You're shooting through a thin enemy.
I also tested with bombards, chargers, lancers, ancients, and boilers. Boilers were the only thing that were fat enough that it wouldn't reliably knock the whole line down.

E: If you're attempting to test this with projectile weapons, know that projectiles behave oddly with punch-through and often have a habit of occasionally veering off trajectory in random directions. Bows also have their own special behaviour.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 3, 2016

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

It doesn't really mesh with the info on the punchthrough page of the wiki either.

quote:

Punch Through distance only counts the total depth of solid material, ignoring any empty space it passes through. For example, for a listed Punch Through distance of 1.8 meters, a weapon's projectile would be able to pass through two 0.9 meter-thick barriers or three 0.6 meter-thick barriers in its path to the target, all while ignoring any open air it travels through.

Once the maximum Punch Through distance has been traveled, or the projectile encounters a surface too thick to penetrate, the projectile stops normally.

And this chart near the bottom of the page

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The wiki is incorrect.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Helter Skelter posted:

E: If you're attempting to test this with projectile weapons, know that projectiles behave oddly with punch-through and often have a habit of occasionally veering off trajectory in random directions. Bows also have their own special behaviour.

I was using the latron wraith (hitscan) in that video I posted in that wf forums thread.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I was using the latron wraith (hitscan) in that video I posted in that wf forums thread.
Your aim is off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LblVSvvJuPw

E: retested with 1m punch-through, same results. 0.8m will only kill one at a time with the same aim point (shoulder), but will kill the entire line if aiming at waist-level.

E2: video of 0.8m test https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1bOtmJHNoE

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 3, 2016

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Can confirm that the PS4 group is small but fun.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

drat, that's amazingly broken.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I figure the reason it's handled this way for netcode purposes. It simplifies things greatly when you don't have to individually track decreasing punch-through values on a million bullets.

E: also if it was handled in any other way then punch-through would be next to useless unless they dramatically increased the values on the mods.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

So 1M is all you need?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

So 1M is all you need?

I'd suggest 1.2m (so, a maxed Shred or Seeking Fury) just to cover any weird edge cases, but generally yeah.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
What's the best Ignis setup for Infested? It feels like Ancients just don't care no matter what I throw in there.

I've tried Blast, Gas, and Corrosive+Heat so far.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Doctor Goat posted:

What's the best Ignis setup for Infested? It feels like Ancients just don't care no matter what I throw in there.

What level enemies? Ignis is powerful but it doesn't scale far into the 60-70s.

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013
Orokin catalyst 22h left :siren:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

So I've got a Tonkor with 3 Forma in it (thanks trash relics!)

Adding Corrosive + Critical will give me my most bang for the buck instead of all critical and blast, right?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

wid posted:

What level enemies? Ignis is powerful but it doesn't scale far into the 60-70s.

Akkad is my general go-to, I think. I could try going down a few levels.

b00n
May 8, 2007

Doctor Goat posted:

Corrosive/Heat is best against Infested, Ancients are just a pain to deal with no matter what.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Ningyou posted:

that, uh, that sure is a lovingly rendered butt on that space amiibo
Warframe (PC/PS4): Ever Mightier Asses

jfc the AE animation turned his forearms into springs.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

b00n posted:

Corrosive/Heat is best against Infested, Ancients are just a pain to deal with no matter what.

Bleh, I might need to drop Combustion Beam and see if Heavy Caliber is enough to turn the tide, then. Aside from them, I can do Akkad running in a tiny window alone without needing to pay much attention, and it is good credits. :(

edit: here is the newest iteration

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 3, 2016

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Combustion beam is a fun novelty but for actual effectiveness, you're served better by more typical damage mods.

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013
1) MAX your stormbringer right away, thats cheap

2) Remove fluff like combusion or firestorm. Sure its fun but you can reequip them once you have more Forma in it. I have 6 Forma in mine, zero fluff and pure dmg

3) Heavy Caliber is a must. It works like a bad Firestorm but the dmg is super nice. You could use another elemental at the start because to max them you need a fraction of the amount of endo heavy caliber requires. Its a 10rank mod like serration. I put my maxed Heavy Caliber in everything, as long i can still manage to hit targets.

4) If you can get at least 1-2 more ranks on your Serration asap. Its really low and Serration is the base damage . It counts more then elemental dmg.

FunkyFlashman fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 3, 2016

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I just found a neat thing while loving around in the simulacrum. The faction-specific damage mods apply their bonus twice to effects like bleed procs, and it's multiplicative. For example I have a rank 8 primed bane of grineer which is +45% damage. But on effects like bleeding it applies it twice like base * 1.45 * 1.45 so I'm getting bleed procs that do 2.1 times the damage with that mod on the gun.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

How the gently caress do you beat the archwing pursuit mission in Saturn? That ship takes no damage

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

How the gently caress do you beat the archwing pursuit mission in Saturn? That ship takes no damage

Grattler with a maxed +damage mod. Shoot the exhaust fires until it stops moving. Then shoot the tiny glowy yellow-orange bumps on inside front of the ship. Repeat while dying constantly to point-blank turret fire.

And when that's done, get ready for a point defense around the ship for a while!

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

The classiest crazy bullshit magic Half-Elf, you'll ever meet.

I just found a neat thing while loving around in the simulacrum. The faction-specific damage mods apply their bonus twice to effects like bleed procs, and it's multiplicative. For example I have a rank 8 primed bane of grineer which is +45% damage. But on effects like bleeding it applies it twice like base * 1.45 * 1.45 so I'm getting bleed procs that do 2.1 times the damage with that mod on the gun.

It's a doubledipping sort of deal.
The base damage get 45% damage increase and bleed effects are 35% of damage done.
But the bleed is applied by the weapon so it gets a 45% damage increase aswell since it's a seperate instance of damage.

So an example would be

With a 100 base damage weapon and a 45% damage bonus you get a proc like this

145 damage on hit
35% of that is 50,75
Apply the 45% damage increase to the bleed.
50,75 * 1.45 = 73,6(rounded up)

As opposed to

100 damage on hit
35 bleed

I don't know if Ash passive is additive or multiplicative.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Sazero posted:

I don't know if Ash passive is additive or multiplicative.

Just tried that out and it looks like that passive is multiplicative with the faction-specific mods.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

if Warframe had a slower gameplay then Bleed Ash might be a viable thing?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

ElegantFugue posted:

Grattler with a maxed +damage mod. Shoot the exhaust fires until it stops moving. Then shoot the tiny glowy yellow-orange bumps on inside front of the ship. Repeat while dying constantly to point-blank turret fire.

And when that's done, get ready for a point defense around the ship for a while!

Ah okay so they just wanted to make people spend money on potatoes for Archwings.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Archwing mode is dead. And it'll never be good.
Don't get me wrong, I want it to be good. But DE just can't make it good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Sazero posted:

Archwing mode is dead. And it'll never be good.
Don't get me wrong, I want it to be good. But DE just can't make it good.

Yeah well the update made Pandora the least fun mission ever because I was next to the stupid ship with the gun trained on the weak spot and it took 10-15 minutes to get one of the turrets halfway down and one shield popped after 4 tries. This was with the starting gun with 30 points of mods in it.