Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Womens MMA not being a thing, but Meisha Tate being a fighter to watch out for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart
Are there any full contact karate (or similar pyjama fighting) competitions that I can watch online or whatever? Like, streams of kyokushin competitions or whatever? I can find a few point fighting karate competitions online but that poo poo sucks.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012

Dr. Miracle posted:

Are there any full contact karate (or similar pyjama fighting) competitions that I can watch online or whatever? Like, streams of kyokushin competitions or whatever? I can find a few point fighting karate competitions online but that poo poo sucks.

This is the first day of the most recent WKO kyokushin world tournament. The rest should be on that channel, they livestream them as well.

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart

afatwhiteloaf posted:

This is the first day of the most recent WKO kyokushin world tournament. The rest should be on that channel, they livestream them as well.

Thank you kindly. I'm really digging what I assume is the international kyokushin anthem.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Who is the lineal Super Hulk champion?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

dokmo posted:

Minowa, because a man with a burning spirit in his heart never truly loses

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

dokmo posted:

Minowa - Satoshi Ishii - Fedor

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Fat Twitter Man posted:

you know what, that's a pretty reasonable progression for the super hulk belt, hasn't left the super hulk division

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Fat Twitter Man posted:

- Fabio Maldonado

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Have there been any freak show events since Super Hluk? Or at least an epic freak show bout?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

dokmo posted:

Have there been any freak show events since Super Hluk? Or at least an epic freak show bout?

road fc has been running an open weight tournament with a very fat sumo baby man, hong man choi, bob sapp, mighty mo, a giant korean boxer guy. the final is hong man choi vs mighty mo somehow and takes place in 3 weeks in korea.

they also signed peter aerts and jerome lebanner, who will have a combined age of 90, for their tournament next year.

there's also the moat fight organisation ganryujima which is basically the ufc 1 version of the super hulk tournament

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

dokmo posted:

Moat Fights has a finalist in last years fight of the year nominees here

It was Boxer v Shaolin Kung Fu

It was amazing

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Lid posted:

Moat Fights has a finalist in last years fight of the year nominees here

It was Boxer v Shaolin Kung Fu

It was amazing

Moat Fights consistently has the best freakshow fights

Sumo vs American football
Yakuza thug vs Ki-attack grandpa
Volleyball vs kickboxing
Jimmy Ambriz vs Salaryman

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I need to know about this promotion and how they are partying like it's 2002.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Halloween Jack posted:

I need to know about this promotion and how they are partying like it's 2002.

Ganryu-Jima wants to Make Sumo Great Again so they invented a hybrid of pushing and striking and it rules.

They seem to have a site finalized, ganryujima.jp and for like 980 yen per month, you get full video access, so I'm all about that.

Maybe I'll organize a watch party for the 3rd event before moat fights 4 goes down in october

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
But sumo is already great?!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

They made it better

With a moat

Full of fog

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Also you win small souvenir shop trinkets for beating a guy. And there are Samurai Demonstration Breaks and basically Ganryujima is the only true and honest combat sport.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

I didn't know Moat Fights existed and now I do.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/UnconsciousAmpleBadger.webm

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Triticum Guzzler posted:

road fc has been running an open weight tournament with a very fat sumo baby man, hong man choi, bob sapp, mighty mo, a giant korean boxer guy. the final is hong man choi vs mighty mo somehow and takes place in 3 weeks in korea.

they also signed peter aerts and jerome lebanner, who will have a combined age of 90, for their tournament next year.

there's also the moat fight organisation ganryujima which is basically the ufc 1 version of the super hulk tournament

is this the same Very Fat Sumo Baby from moat fights who couldn't stop attacking his opponent during designated don't do that times?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

maffew buildings posted:

is this the same Very Fat Sumo Baby from moat fights who couldn't stop attacking his opponent during designated don't do that times?
Hakuhou likes to get in a little shove after the kimarite, no big d.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Watching multiple Moat Fights, I stumble on this old striking+grappling tournament from 1995 won by a certain Akihiro Gono:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEANyuDOzBg&t=402s
You should be able to pick him out by his style, since he's still got a full head of hair and looks a lot younger.
If you watch long enough, he's the guy who gets a banana split.

Half the tournament seems to be legit karate guys with varying experience in jiujitsu of some fashion.
Looks like a submission/tap is only worth points and isn't a sudden victory.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

kimbo305 posted:

Looks like a submission/tap is only worth points and isn't a sudden victory.

there was a guy on this very forum not long ago arguing for this to be a thing i believe. turns out he wasn't completely retarded, he was just stuck in '95

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
I rather like the recent changes to the Unified Rules of MMA. Theseshould be taking effect Jan. 1st.

quote:

Grounded fighter

Under the original rules, fighters could place a single finger tip in the ground to establish themselves as grounded, thereby avoiding legal kicks and knees to the head. Officials have long dubbed that "playing the game." It's no longer viable. Now, fighters must have both hands on the ground — either their palms or fists — to be considered grounded. As always, if a fighter's knee or any other part of the body except the hands and feet are touching the mat, then that fighter is also grounded.

Extended fingers

Eye pokes have been a topic of controversy lately. They are fight-ending, career-damaging illegal maneuvers. Under the original rules, referees could do nothing about it until it was too late and the poke was already landed. The new rules empower referees by making it a foul to extend your fingers outward toward an opponent's face, which could lead to an eye poke.

Previously, a referee could tell a fighter to close his or her hand, but the ref had no recourse — a point could not be taken. Now, it can be if a fighter continues to extend fingers in the direction of an opponent's face.
http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/8/5/12380160/abc-conference-and-changes-to-mma-unified-rules-explained

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Phyzzle posted:

I rather like the recent changes to the Unified Rules of MMA. Theseshould be taking effect Jan. 1st.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/8/5/12380160/abc-conference-and-changes-to-mma-unified-rules-explained

Both of these are great and long overdue.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Every time that comes up I remember the insane online Korean comments about Misaki vs. Akiyama.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Halloween Jack posted:

Every time that comes up I remember the insane online Korean comments about Misaki vs. Akiyama.

?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Anti-Japanese sentiment is very much alive in Korea, and when Misaki's win was overturned because Akiyama's glove was brushing the mat, I saw comments like "Shitpanese backstabbing weak girl ME-SUCKY is a cheater!!!" It was just the craziest thing.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Halloween Jack posted:

Anti-Japanese sentiment is very much alive in Korea, and when Misaki's win was overturned because Akiyama's glove was brushing the mat, I saw comments like "Shitpanese backstabbing weak girl ME-SUCKY is a cheater!!!" It was just the craziest thing.

I know all about Korea/Japan I just wanted to see the comments.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
So when I look at this

I can tell that it's bad. But I can't tell why it is bad. What specifically is Punk doing wrong here.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Patrick Spens posted:

So when I look at this

I can tell that it's bad. But I can't tell why it is bad. What specifically is Punk doing wrong here.

To start with, he's winding up and telegraphing the punch which makes it ridiculously easy to avoid. It also leaves his chin wide open and an orthodox guy facing him could knock him the gently caress out with a left hook, which would be quite feasible since he is telegraphing the punch. He is also shifting his weight wayyyy forward and reaching for the punch, which means all the power in that uppercut is coming from his drat arm. Guys with really vicious uppercuts have them short and snappy and use the power in their legs to drive the punch upwards, Punk is swinging his loving arm like he has a bag of potatoes strapped to his boxing glove.

Mike's uppercut is short - he's not reaching. Look how his right leg drives through the punch where Punk has all his weight on the wrong leg

e: also never throw a power hand uppercut at range like that.. :ughh: everything about it is wrong

mewse fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 9, 2016

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Tyson's chin is also tucked behind his shoulder while Brooks' chin is upright and ready to be knocked out.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
he's trying some roy jones jr punching without the roy jones jr movement

edit: actually feels just like a long, rear hand uppercut without any set up
see video for how its done properly, about 2:15 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0g8-KVp06s

Wild Horses fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 9, 2016

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Great post there mewse, would love to see more like that.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Wild Horses posted:

he's trying some roy jones jr punching without the roy jones jr movement

edit: actually feels just like a long, rear hand uppercut without any set up
see video for how its done properly, about 2:15 in

Wow, you're right, it's the same punch executed with skill

Differences: Duran didn't telegraph the punch, he closed the distance with his jab so he wasn't throwing it from a mile away, and he powered it with his rear leg (notice he ends up with his rear foot forward)

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

What's the USADA policy on caffeine? I have a friend who INSISTS that anything more than 2 cups a coffee isn't allowed/banned and that seems crazy to me. He says this is both in and out of completion which is certainly not true, but there can not be that strict regulations on caffeine leading up to a fight ...right?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

omg chael crash posted:

What's the USADA policy on caffeine? I have a friend who INSISTS that anything more than 2 cups a coffee isn't allowed/banned and that seems crazy to me. He says this is both in and out of completion which is certainly not true, but there can not be that strict regulations on caffeine leading up to a fight ...right?

USADA athlete guide posted:

Nicotine and caffeine are permitted, but they are part of the WADA monitoring program.

mewse
May 2, 2006

omg chael crash posted:

Caffeine is tested in-competition but it isn't prohibited, it is part of the monitoring program.

http://www.usada.org/substances/prohibited-list/athlete-guide/

quote:

Nicotine and caffeine are permitted, but they are part of the WADA monitoring program.

The monitoring program exists to monitor potential abuse of substances so basically it's not prohibited whatsoever

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

omg chael crash posted:

max allowed is based on ur body weight. i cant remember the exact amount per kg but u wont reach it without pills or powder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mewse posted:

Wow, you're right, it's the same punch executed with skill

Differences: Duran didn't telegraph the punch, he closed the distance with his jab so he wasn't throwing it from a mile away, and he powered it with his rear leg (notice he ends up with his rear foot forward)

I clicked on the play button and refreshed the page like 6 times while swearing before I realized that this was a .jpg.