Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Dirty Sanchez posted:

So, stores? Fifth ave in NY is a "mall"? Didn't know that.

Imagine your typical indoor mall...It's surrounded by parking lot on every side, and completely separate from normal city streets. Now take away the mall's ceiling, and turn the big pedestrian hallways into little roads...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

So stores are surrounded by a parking lot instead of the reverse?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Brave New World posted:

Imagine your typical indoor mall...It's surrounded by parking lot on every side, and completely separate from normal city streets. Now take away the mall's ceiling, and turn the big pedestrian hallways into little roads...

No... no... what have you done?!? That's..... IMPOSSIBLE!!! :britain::britain::britain:

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Durrr Im a retard and dont know the difference between a mall a strip mall or a store. Durrrrr.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

So stores are surrounded by a parking lot instead of the reverse?

A planet where apes evolved from men? :downs:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

JB50 posted:

Durrr Im a retard and dont know the difference between a mall a strip mall or a store. Durrrrr.

This describes 99% of executives.

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

JB50 posted:

Seriously. Everyone knows a mall is a large indoor facility with multiple stores inside.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Dirty Sanchez posted:

Seriously. Everyone knows a mall is a large indoor facility with multiple stores inside.

Guys what if a mall is just a big store that sells smaller stores :catdrugs:

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
what if, like, we were the stores all along and we are just selling.....experiences to other people man

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
y'all ain't never been to an outlet mall?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

I just went to a tiny rear end McDonalds that had both the Coca-Cola Freestyle machines and the order machines as well as counter registers and it was a hilarious clusterfuck.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

red19fire posted:

Guys what if a mall is just a big store that sells smaller stores :catdrugs:

Why Earth itself is the biggest mall of all, guys!

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I think coffee bean and tea leaf will be the next place to be leaving the world. They have such an identity crisis. They want to believe that they are a third wave coffee shop, but all anyone gets there are blended sugar drinks. They want to be mentioned alongside Starbucks but no one knows they are still even around. They are always trying to have new technology like how they just introduced nitro cold brew even though the independent shops that tried to introduce that had pretty much gotten over that fad.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Quote-Unquote posted:

Other UK goons might know better, but what I want to know is this:

How is Argos still a thing?

For non UK goons, Argos is a high street store (with some larger ones that are out of town) that has no storefront. It's basically a warehouse that you can't look around.
You get a catalogue from them (or browse one in store), go into the store, punch the code of the item you want into a little gizmo that tells you if they have it in stock, then if they do you write the code down on a piece of paper. You then queue up with your piece of paper and hand it to an employee, who will then punch it into their own machine to confirm it's in stock, then take your money. Then you go and queue up elsewhere while someone goes and gets it for you. Eventually you'll get your thing, or on the odd occasion it turns out they don't actually have it in stock or it was the last one and it's broken or whatever, so you have to go and queue up at the first line to get your money back or arrange a day that you can be home between 8am and 8pm for delivery (and pay an extra tenner if you want it on a Saturday, you know, like the vast majority of working people do, as from previous experience they will NOT leave an item too big for your mail slot no matter what).

It seems like the most needlessly complex way of buying something, but they still seem to be around and doing fine. I guess we Brits do love a good queue, though (see also Nando's, a restaurant where you queue to get a table but they don't have table service, so you go up and queue for your food. At least you get delicious chicken at the end of that, though).

We used to have stores like these in the states. I remember I used to live near two of them. Best and Service Merchandise. I don't remember much about Best as it closed down while I was in elementary school, but I used to hang out at Service Merchandise. It was funny, as it had a large storefront that was actually a showroom, you couldnt buy any of the merchandise. You had to go to the counter, fill out a order form, and they'd get it out of the back. I guess for awhile it did pretty good, but soon got canabalized by Walmart.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Sort of nostalgic now for how big a deal the Sears, JC Penney, Service Merchandise and Radio Shack catalogs used to be. I remember how they were such a big deal they used to sell them at the stores, but you'd get something like a coupon for a discount about equal to the price of the catalog.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

JediTalentAgent posted:

Sort of nostalgic now for how big a deal the Sears, JC Penney, Service Merchandise and Radio Shack catalogs used to be. I remember how they were such a big deal they used to sell them at the stores, but you'd get something like a coupon for a discount about equal to the price of the catalog.

The actual reality of things hasn't changed. thirty years ago you looked at the Service Merchandise catalog and the Sears catalog and fantasized. Now you look at Amazon. poo poo gets here faster after you order it, that's about it.

I kind of miss the old catalog format because of the way one thing lead to another. You could run into something you didn't even know you were interested in by just turning the pages, and pick it up. We've lost that, and we're losing it everywhere; with ala carte and streaming TV comes "just what I want to watch." Kinda limiting.

Suspect Device
Jan 18, 2005

Always Intense
Discount department stores. I manage one and its basically me and one other employee at all times, despite the huge amount of floor space. Corporate overlords will not provide payroll. It looks like hell and its a shoplifting free for all.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Horseshoe theory posted:

I just went to a tiny rear end McDonalds that had both the Coca-Cola Freestyle machines and the order machines as well as counter registers and it was a hilarious clusterfuck.

Man when I was living in San Diego, "order by tablet" burger places were everywhere. Granted they were actually sit down restaurants, but it was still a gigantic loving mess.

I went to one with a girl I knew who came through town once, and she wanted to check this one place out. They tried to be reallllllllly fuckin classy for a burger place with "liquor licenses" and poo poo. She suggested we order drinks through the almighty tablet, so I ordered a "gin and grapefruit juice." What I got somehow was a pint glass half full with straight gin and ice, and there was no one around to tell about how they messed up my drink.

So I just drank a half a pint of gin straight and don't remember the burger and I am very close to being married to that girl so YMMV.

Edit: I'm not sure what the point of this story was. That burger place closed down within weeks of us going there, I guess.

EE: Don't order gin through a tablet is the
Moral.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
there's a plaza (rich person version of a strip mall fundamentally) in la jolla that has like 2-3 fancy clothing stores, a restaurant, a bar, and a boutique plastic surgery clinic

it really trips me out when I drive by it

Citizen Tayne posted:

I kind of miss the old catalog format because of the way one thing lead to another. You could run into something you didn't even know you were interested in by just turning the pages, and pick it up. We've lost that, and we're losing it everywhere; with ala carte and streaming TV comes "just what I want to watch." Kinda limiting.

i don't understand this because you can just browse around on amazon and find random stuff too?

plus there's also tons of competing websites to price match and find different things on versus here's just the Sears catalog

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Moridin920 posted:

i don't understand this because you can just browse around on amazon and find random stuff too?

It's kind of like reading a physical newspaper vs. reading the same articles online. There's something tactile about it, and that it's presented to you in a specific way, that I and others like. I must admit I miss flipping through those old CompUSA and other computer mini-catalogs when I was a kid.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Jesus Christ posted:

It's kind of like reading a physical newspaper vs. reading the same articles online. There's something tactile about it, and that it's presented to you in a specific way, that I and others like. I must admit I miss flipping through those old CompUSA and other computer mini-catalogs when I was a kid.

Computer Shopper if you wanted a real catalog the size of a phone book.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jesus Christ posted:

Yeah I'm like this with books. I'll read a book for much longer than I will if it were a PDF on my computer. I'm also like this with emulators. I'll have a huge list of ROMs in front of me and I won't play for more than a few minutes. But with the real system I'll sit there for a long time playing one game. I think it has to do with too many options completely ruining my chances of concentrating.

My wife takes this to an extreme that I can't understand. I'll see her watching a movie on cable TV and I'll ask her why she's watching it considering it's half over and I have the movie on Plex. She says "I'll watch it if it comes on TV but I wouldn't like, select it in Plex" and I admit even that one I haven't figured out yet.

I definitely agree that catalogs are so much better than browsing a website. There's a sense of a catalog being curated and not filled with poo poo like websites are. Like catalogs have a very finite amount of space so there's not going to be much room for junk, only leave the good stuff.

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?
Not to mention the work they used to put into some of the catalog pictures. My Dad was in the Air Force and we lived overseas for a while when were younger, and my brother and I used to LIVE for some of those Sears/JC Penney catalogs. I still remember one of the layouts where the main picture was a barnyard type room with all the guitars they had for sale on hay bales or hanging from the wall, or the winter clothes sections showing happy people in their new coats drinking hot chocolate together around a campfire in the woods... For some reason, flipping through the pages and seeing stuff like that had a completely different vibe than just looking at a picture of something on Amazon.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

uli2000 posted:

We used to have stores like these in the states. I remember I used to live near two of them. Best and Service Merchandise. I don't remember much about Best as it closed down while I was in elementary school, but I used to hang out at Service Merchandise. It was funny, as it had a large storefront that was actually a showroom, you couldnt buy any of the merchandise. You had to go to the counter, fill out a order form, and they'd get it out of the back. I guess for awhile it did pretty good, but soon got canabalized by Walmart.

Most industrial suppliers (Graybar, Grainger, McMaster-Carr, etc...) still work like this. They just have a counter at the front of a warehouse and you either order ahead of time or at the counter and someone brings your order out.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I'm proud to say Lego catalogs are still alive and well. Our store frequently runs out of them because every family wants to take one home for the kids to look through.

Lately I'm also finding that a lot of kids are learning about products through youtube reviews. My cousin's 6-yo kid spends hours on his mom's cell phone watching videos on youtube of toy reviews (and insisting "Neurion, watch this with me!") Even at Lego I've had parents request sets that their kids learned about from such videos. Unfortunately, more often than not, it's for older sets that're no longer in production.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

dreezy posted:

y'all ain't never been to an outlet mall?

This whole drat discussion I've been thinking "So outlet malls but with restaurants"

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

My wife takes this to an extreme that I can't understand. I'll see her watching a movie on cable TV and I'll ask her why she's watching it considering it's half over and I have the movie on Plex. She says "I'll watch it if it comes on TV but I wouldn't like, select it in Plex" and I admit even that one I haven't figured out yet.

It's a much more communal feeling, when you watch something on TV. You know that, at the same time, thousands of other people are watching the same thing, and you share the experience. Compare that to watching on-demand stuff, at your own leisure. It's possible other people are watching it at the same time, but there's no guarantee like on TV.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

mike12345 posted:

It's a much more communal feeling, when you watch something on TV. You know that, at the same time, thousands of other people are watching the same thing, and you share the experience. Compare that to watching on-demand stuff, at your own leisure. It's possible other people are watching it at the same time, but there's no guarantee like on TV.

That's possible too. I was thinking it's more like "it's random when a channel decides to play a movie I like so I watch it", kind of like when you listen to a song you like on the radio even though you can listen to it whenever you want. Like "aww yeah, they're playing my poo poo!!!"

I do kind of find myself watching MTV classic for this reason (they redid it recently so it's only 90s stuff)

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

uli2000 posted:

Best and Service Merchandise.

I distinctly remember seeing Ninja Gaiden for NES available in a Best catalog in 1989. It was one of the most expensive games at $44.99, but I asked for it and my wish was granted. I also remember seeing a building with its logo off I-95 in the Richmond, VA suburbs. I'm guessing that's the warehouse/storefront where the game was shipped from.

Actually I got several video games from mail-order. UPS stopping at my house was a momentous occasion. Except that one time when it was just a pair of jeans for someone else and a slip that said "Zelda II - BACKORDERED".

We also had a Service Merchandise storefront in my hometown, but it was an actual big-box store you could walk around and browse.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Ofecks posted:

I distinctly remember seeing Ninja Gaiden for NES available in a Best catalog in 1989. It was one of the most expensive games at $44.99, but I asked for it and my wish was granted. I also remember seeing a building with its logo off I-95 in the Richmond, VA suburbs. I'm guessing that's the warehouse/storefront where the game was shipped from.
The people who owned Best got bored with the whole running a store thing and got an artist to start designing the buildings. In Richmond, it resulted in this.

That's a photo from when the store was open; it only looks to have been abandoned for decades.

Some of the stores ended up looking pretty interesting, though.

All of them are shown here: http://www.siteenvirodesign.com/content/best-products

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

i really don't even get watches. what's the point anymore

Status

My watch costs more than your car bitch

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

sharknado slashfic posted:

This whole drat discussion I've been thinking "So outlet malls but with restaurants"

Outlet malls are just big strip malls though. These are basically malls with the roofs ripped off so you still have the large pedestrian areas in between stores.

monster on a stick has a new favorite as of 00:05 on Sep 5, 2016

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Waroduce posted:

Status

It's useful jewellery; it's nice to able to keep track of time if you have a job that has you running around. I work in sales and meetings sometimes run long, so it's good to be able to glance at my wrist and know I need to make an exit soon without pulling out my phone.

Watches aren't obsolete, as much as the nerd crowd would like to believe.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Waroduce posted:

Status

Whats my name, my name is gently caress YOU thats my name.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

blugu64 posted:

I really don't understand why normal malls are failing, and simultaneously "mixed use urban developments" (I.e. Outdoor malls) are being built everywhere.
Usually there's a tax break or incentive to making a Mixed Use development. At least I think that's what it's like here.

The thing about malls failing is that it's kind of difficult to curate the shopper experience if the model is 4 stories of shoppes in a box with some space in the middle so you can look up and down. So you go with the nice white tile (that needs to be cleaned regularly) and nice plastic/plexiglass rails (also need cleaning) to keep things nice and sterile, and maybe good use of skylights for a more natural look, and then you plop a bunch of bad food in a corner and call it The Commisary presented by Xbrands. And you plop maybe an interactive map to help people, hire some guards to keep the teens in line, and air condition the gently caress out of it all. Oh, and you'll also fight the stigma of having a ton of geezers in at opening because it's their health walk circuit, and having actual regular customers feel like it's Dawn of the Dead because the place is deserted until about an hour or two after the posted opening time. Then it's 10 years later and there's a redesign to the exterior that's more than a slap of paint and now you have to live with it for a while because the last redesign was expensive and people hated that it changed and miss the old poo poo. But now you have to contend with the Open Air Village concept that opened some blocks away and it's just eating your lunch left and right so god knows what happens if they lure the Victoria's Secret, Sephora and Forever XXI away cuz they're your anchor stores.

Meanwhile The Village at Kenny's in historic SoDaSoPa has a dog-friendly green, a built-in play area for children, a man-made river/lagoon that plays some tepid ratpack song every hour on the hour, and a cute trolley that runs a circuit around the grounds. Their Pacific Theatres omniplex had 15 screens + an Imax + 3 "lounge" rooms with couches and 2 exsurround rooms with the fancy motion chairs because they were just built, and half of their food vendors are organic bullshit concept foods. And the people cleaning up dress like old tyme barbershop quartet folks because they're trying to sell the feeling of a Disneyesque community/retreat from the inanity of your life and gosh darn it just feels so nice to have lunch here even if I can't really fit into any of the clothes they sell or afford anything outside of a movie ticket. Sure it's expensive, but you're selling a concierge-backed set of 30 luxury apartments and maybe 10 super high end penthouses where rich idiots can pay to Live the Life / keep a mistress in the heart of (CityName)'s most exclusive retail destination so their HoA's and leases help offset it a bit.

Yeah, they're basically outlet malls, except they want you to live there instead of just renting a room for a night from the Holiday Inn next door. Outlets have a stigma as being a Bargain Hunter's destination, where people will accept slightly dinged goods for the moderate markdown. These outdoor malls want to sell you on a shopping experience. You go for the ambiance and to be seen around all the people walking into the Coach shop buying ridiculously overpriced handbags.

The kind of mixed use apartments with controlled access and a pool/lovely gym for residents up top and a Starbucks / Subway / nail shop on the bottom floors? They're replacing Strip Malls because those are ugly little urban blights that love to accumulate Liquor Shops as tenants and they bring those people into the area.

FilthyImp has a new favorite as of 06:08 on Sep 5, 2016

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

I'm never going to get out my Major League dvd, but if it's on TV, I'll watch it every time.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

drat dude how many members of your family did a mall kill

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Citizen Tayne posted:

There's a recent development being built here called McCandless Crossing which is being sold as an "urban" and "walkable" mix of residential and retail, except it's acre after acre of blacktop with little integrated greenery and no sidewalks, so it really isn't urban or walkable at all.

Americans love exclusion, and a $300K buy-in for a lovely apartment around here means that they will never have to see a poor again while they drive 600 feet to the Whole Foods.

You're like 40 minutes south of McCandless Crossing, and the T doesn't go to it. Why do you even give half a fart about something that's not even anywhere near the city?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Because he's as insufferable in real life as he is on these forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Anything that results in ugly as gently caress strip malls occupied by Subway and nail salons to go away is fine by me

There is a strip mall in my city that, I poo poo you not, has 1. a weave store 2. a detox shop 3. a gun store and 4. a local NAACP office in the same building. Those are the only 4 things there. It's a massive stereotype of a building.