Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
How will those of us watching remotely be able to spot you when they do the closing credits 'show the line' sequence? Mothra had someone cosplaying as the moth, and there are always Gizmonic folks in attendance. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Also I can't believe we're getting a loving remake of goddamned BEN HUR. Jesus Christ, Hollywood try remaking some poo poo movies. On that note, what are some MST'd movies that you all think wouldn't be half bad if it wasn't for a few minor tweaks? (This Island Earth excepted.)
From a while back, but I think Overdrawn at the Memory Bank is a fine little movie, but that's mostly because of Raul Julia

Its also my favorite MST3k other than Soultaker, Space Mutiny, and Girl With the Gold Boots for some reason.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

achillesforever6 posted:

From a while back, but I think Overdrawn at the Memory Bank is a fine little movie, but that's mostly because of Raul Julia

Its also my favorite MST3k other than Soultaker, Space Mutiny, and Girl With the Gold Boots for some reason.
According to Wikipedia:

Wikipedia posted:

Overdrawn at the Memory Bank is a 1983 television film, starring Raúl Juliá and Linda Griffiths. It was produced by Canada's RSL Productions in Toronto. Financing was provided by WNET and New Jersey Public Television (NJPTV), which had hoped to create an entire science fiction series adapting famous works; but, because of lack of funding, this was the last of three productions after The Lathe of Heaven and Between Time and Timbuktu.
I don't know what those other two films are, but damned if I don't want to see them riffed now.

Edit: Woah. Between Time and Timbuktu was adapted from Kurt Vonnegut stories? That sounds amazing.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 24, 2016

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Lathe of Heaven is actually really good. Still has PBS level production values but captures the book really well.

Overdrawn was from a short story and they tried to add a whole bunch to it which is probably why it makes so little sense.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

A bit late for shorts chat, but I always liked A Day at the Fair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEY9uRknRRc

It loses steam a bit towards the end, but the first half is excellent with some gloriously dark riffs.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
"The Champion's Blue Ribbon goes to a girl"
The cows are furious!

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006

WhiteHowler posted:

According to Wikipedia:
I don't know what those other two films are, but damned if I don't want to see them riffed now.

Edit: Woah. Between Time and Timbuktu was adapted from Kurt Vonnegut stories? That sounds amazing.

I'm looking for it online but it looks like all copies have been purged.

CrimsonAuthor fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 24, 2016

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?
HITLER'S DEATH CAR!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Frank wrote a book about some of the movies of MST3K.

I got this and thought it was good, but Frank will veer off the topic of the movie he started with. I don't mind it, but it's something to be aware of.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Is it a concern?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

BooDoug187 posted:

HITLER'S DEATH CAR!

HERVE VILLECHAIZE'S DEATH CAR!

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

SirPhoebos posted:

I got this and thought it was good, but Frank will veer off the topic of the movie he started with. I don't mind it, but it's something to be aware of.

I'm about half way through; I deliberately didn't look at the table of contents to be surprised as I reach each new chapter. It's true he wanders about quite a bit, but h's pretty funny.

Also, he thinks if there were Beatles' films and Hermans Hermit films and a DC5 film* in the 1960s, that there ought to have been a Kinks' film, so that makes Frank all right by me :colbert:

The most terrifying sentence (for me, as a :corsair: whose kidhood was the 1970s -- I remember when The Incredible Melting Man was on general release and my mother being adamant that no way was I allowed to see it) in the entire work, though, is when he remarks that we're now just about as far removed from the first episode of MST3K as they were from the 1950s films they riffed :ohdear:

*The Dave Clark 5 one is called Catch Us if You Can (it had a different title in the US), and Frank's right, that is is really good.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

In kinda-related news, starting a week from Sunday Comet TV (newish American broadcast station that's half old sci-fi shows and half C-or-lower movies like Gor or Terrordactyl) is going to start airing MST episodes. Naturally the first one is gonna be Manos.

I mean I know all this stuff can be seen at any time online, but there's something about just having a piece of the day to curl up on the couch and watch something you've been waiting a week for that appeals to me. And to have MST rejoin that... sweet.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ensign_Ricky posted:

HERVE VILLECHAIZE'S DEATH CAR!

FONZY'S DEATH CAR!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I saw the Mads last night in Austin do Glen or Glenda. By FAR, the biggest laugh was on "JUDGE YE NOT...unless you're the Lieutenant Governor of Texas."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CaptainYesterday posted:

I saw the Mads last night in Austin do Glen or Glenda. By FAR, the biggest laugh was on "JUDGE YE NOT...unless you're the Lieutenant Governor of Texas."

Are they coming to Houston? I saw Alamo post about last night's event, but the actual "The Mads are Back" website doesn't have anything listed on the event calendar.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Are they coming to Houston? I saw Alamo post about last night's event, but the actual "The Mads are Back" website doesn't have anything listed on the event calendar.

Actually, my dad (who also loves MST3K) found out about it in the Austin Chronicle - if he didn't read it, we wouldn't have known.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Ms Boods posted:

The most terrifying sentence (for me, as a :corsair: whose kidhood was the 1970s -- I remember when The Incredible Melting Man was on general release and my mother being adamant that no way was I allowed to see it) in the entire work, though, is when he remarks that we're now just about as far removed from the first episode of MST3K as they were from the 1950s films they riffed :ohdear:

Yeah, times have definitely changed, but this is still a bit misleading. It's true that the black-and-white films they were doing were usually only 30-40 years old, but they feel much older because of all the things they didn't have -- color, modern sound and lighting, swearing, blood, decent roles for women and minorities, extensive editing, etc. The end of the Hays Code, the collapse of the studio system, and the rise of the "film school brats" and the modern blockbuster meant that the late sixties to early seventies saw the most radical transformation in the history of film since the end of the silent era and there's been nothing like it since. If you went back 30-40 years in the 90s, it meant descending into an era where just about everything (except, sometimes, the works of a few truly innovative filmmakers like Wells, Kubrick, and Hitchcock) feels slow, drab, stagey, cheesy, and cheap. These days, going back 30-40 years to the 70s and 80s gets you dated styles and grainy picture (like in Mitchel), as well as lots of cheap/bad looking special effects, somewhat fewer roles for women and minorities (though the difference isn't nearly as great as four decades of "progress" would suggest), and a certain New Hollywood stateliness to the pacing, but those differences aren't nearly so stark. Sure we have CGI, superheroes, and frenetic Michael Bay pacing now, but that's nothing like realizing that The Beginning of the End was made less than 20 years before Jaws.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Sorry if this is technically off-topic, but I had to share—I recently stumbled upon Just Imagine, and I can't remember the last time I saw a movie that begged so badly for the MST3K treatment. It's a sci-fi comedy musical from 1930 (!) about the far-off year of 1980, and is just the right mix of endearing and painfully bad. Highlights include a baby vending machine, a song in which the main character wishes for a woman just like his grandmother, and (of course) scantily clad women on Mars. I'm actually surprised this isn't a widely-known camp classic—it's an utterly bizarre mix of '50s B Movie and vaudeville revue that shouldn't exist, yet somehow does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eldqx1MChyc

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Some eggs don't even exist.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, times have definitely changed, but this is still a bit misleading. It's true that the black-and-white films they were doing were usually only 30-40 years old, but they feel much older because of all the things they didn't have -- color, modern sound and lighting, swearing, blood, decent roles for women and minorities, extensive editing, etc. The end of the Hays Code, the collapse of the studio system, and the rise of the "film school brats" and the modern blockbuster meant that the late sixties to early seventies saw the most radical transformation in the history of film since the end of the silent era and there's been nothing like it since. If you went back 30-40 years in the 90s, it meant descending into an era where just about everything (except, sometimes, the works of a few truly innovative filmmakers like Wells, Kubrick, and Hitchcock) feels slow, drab, stagey, cheesy, and cheap. These days, going back 30-40 years to the 70s and 80s gets you dated styles and grainy picture (like in Mitchel), as well as lots of cheap/bad looking special effects, somewhat fewer roles for women and minorities (though the difference isn't nearly as great as four decades of "progress" would suggest), and a certain New Hollywood stateliness to the pacing, but those differences aren't nearly so stark. Sure we have CGI, superheroes, and frenetic Michael Bay pacing now, but that's nothing like realizing that The Beginning of the End was made less than 20 years before Jaws.

Heh, I just meant in terms of time & feeling :corsair:, not themes (but you make a valid point!) Any day now I'll be hiking up my trousers and talking in earnest about springs whilst wearing a hankerchief on my head.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I was dicking around on eBay and found this:

It'll be interesting to see what they cut out.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Mister Kingdom posted:

I was dicking around on eBay and found this:

It'll be interesting to see what they cut out.

At a guess? Tits.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
More scenes about where the fish lives?

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Mace Bacon posted:

More scenes about where the fish lives?

And more scenes of where my tongue lives! :pervert:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The violent walnut stampede

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
More scenes of fromicidal maniacs. :downs:

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006
All 143 verses of Amazing Grace.

CrimsonAuthor fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 1, 2016

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Ensign_Ricky posted:

At a guess? Tits.

Seems likely, but a lot of their edits are more baffling. They often had to cut for time and that meant that they tried to pick filler or scenes that didn't really contribute to the plot (although sometimes they did cut plot/character development and it makes the movies seem more incomprehensible than they really are).

The one that sticks out to me is from Gamera (one of the few msts that I'd already seen straight), where I spent the entire episode waiting for them to show the best scene in the entire movie, and they never did.

I guess it's not really important to the movie's plot, but drat it if seeing those rebellious turtleneck and buttondown-clad youth wildly dancing in place to Gamera themed Rock and Roll and then getting smashed isn't hilarious.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you backed the MST3K Kickstarter check you email as they put up another episode (Final Justice.)

Edit: Has Joe Don Baker always looked 50?

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 2, 2016

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

muscles like this? posted:

If you backed the MST3K Kickstarter check you email as they put up another episode (Final Justice.)

Edit: Has Joe Don Baker always looked 50?

Two episodes, actually. Magic Voyage of Sinbad is included.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJjvOmch2Jt/

quote:

Just got done with five 12-hour days of riffing on some bad movies. My brain is fried. #mst3k4lyfe

That is a lot of riffing.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
nvm

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 4, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Apparently this was the poster for Danger: Death Ray!

That's clearly a machine gun, not a death ray. :colbert:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Evil Mastermind posted:

Apparently this was the poster for Danger: Death Ray!

That's clearly a machine gun, not a death ray. :colbert:

Still only used for peaceful purposes though, oddly enough.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
That poster seriously lacks the hero, Fart Bargo Bart Fargo.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Clearly, that poster recalls the end of the film, where Bart Fargo murders a bunch of cameras with a SMG (and makes Cambot cry).

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Manos is now on Comet TV. It's weird seeing the show on commercial TV after all these years.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

Manos is now on Comet TV. It's weird seeing the show on commercial TV after all these years.

In 90 minutes over here, looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

This is actually my first time watching "Manos" and wow. Half an hour into the show and it's still "happy family getting lost off the turnpike".