Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Haven't played Destiny 2, but in general I don't think Tales games lend themselves well to sequels. I'd prefer they just wash their hands of the whole thing and start with something new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tales of destiny 2 pretty much just exists because leon magnus makes them all of the money in the world

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the tales of the abyss sequel takes place in the period between the last boss and the ending of the game

you control luke as he must survive on his own until he can fully grow out his hair

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Maybe Tales of Berseria 2 will star your pirate crew as they go on adventures while Velvet's team does whatever.

I don't know if that actually works with Beseria's story or anything since I haven't played it, but from what everyone's said your crew is cool and stuff. So that sounds vaguely fun.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I would absolutely play a game about the NPCs from Berseria. Most of them even already have fighting styles/weapons of choice.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay, I might be in the minority here, but how about The Adventures Of Long-Haired Mikleo and Older Seraph Sorey?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
How about a Tales game where you play as Dhaos who crosses over into the Xillia Dimension and becomes friends with Dhaos Milla and they wander the world dropping huge lasers on nerds.

I really just want a good crossover Tales game. Like there's room for parts of the themes of some Tales games to crossover in interesting ways. Luke hanging out with Graces F crew. Yuri hanging out with Sorey. Edna and Jade trolling the UNIVERSE.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

is that not what the tales of the world games are like

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Speaking of Leon, who got Leon'd in Berseria? Or is it somehow not part of their costume DLC?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Decus posted:

Speaking of Leon, who got Leon'd in Berseria? Or is it somehow not part of their costume DLC?

Nobody.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

OneDeadman posted:

How about a Tales game where you play as Dhaos who crosses over into the Xillia Dimension and becomes friends with Dhaos Milla and they wander the world dropping huge lasers on nerds.

I really just want a good crossover Tales game. Like there's room for parts of the themes of some Tales games to crossover in interesting ways. Luke hanging out with Graces F crew. Yuri hanging out with Sorey. Edna and Jade trolling the UNIVERSE.

A villain crossover game.

But only the villains who did nothing wrong. :colbert:

So Dhaos, Gaius, maybe Van.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
master van did something wrong

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Gaius did a lot of things wrong.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Colonel posted:

master van did something wrong

He had the right idea, just went about it the wrong way :(

Hunt11 posted:

Gaius did a lot of things wrong.

Lies! gently caress Elympios, let them all die.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

He had the right idea, just went about it the wrong way :(

Lies! gently caress Elympios, let them all die.

His idiotic ideas would have doomed Rieze Maxia as well.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Wasn't Duke basically operating on the idea that he had to wipe out humanity to save everything else and the protagonists' idea was a gamble to save everything but also risk everything?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I forget, did Duke actually do anything evil for the whole of Vesperia? I just remember him being all cryptic and enigmatic on the sidelines for most of the game until he went "all right, that's quite enough of that" and went off to hit the end-of-the-world button.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Van was really terrible and awful to my good friend Luke.

Also the whole murdered an entire town and tried to kill everyone in the world thing. But mostly all that manipulation of Luke. It was really mean of him.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I guess Lambda/Richard could fit in somewhere?

Also,
Tales of the Abyss 2 : Oracle Knight Boogaloo

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Hahaha goddammit Berseria

Phoenix shows up to call Eizen out for neglecting Edna, and after you beat him, Eizen asks him to protect her, and Phoenix agrees on the condition that Eizen write her a proper letter. After he leaves, Eizen says outright "he showed me not to give up without doing a thing."

I'm having an incredibly hard time not reading into that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hunt11 posted:

His idiotic ideas would have doomed Rieze Maxia as well.

Let them all die THEN tear down the wall.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Wasn't Duke basically operating on the idea that he had to wipe out humanity to save everything else and the protagonists' idea was a gamble to save everything but also risk everything?

Oxxidation posted:

I forget, did Duke actually do anything evil for the whole of Vesperia? I just remember him being all cryptic and enigmatic on the sidelines for most of the game until he went "all right, that's quite enough of that" and went off to hit the end-of-the-world button.

Sounds about right. I barely remember what happened at the end, but I remember it got really stupid.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Vespy 2 would be rad to me if they were to go for a premise where the magical system is in fact stable and non-intrusive to the rest of the plot. Build another story on politics and hit the moral dilemmas harder, and then once that's wrapped up you just play with the post-game building up your guild.

Sodia needs to be playable. Ristelle is a given.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Well geez it's been like nearly ten years but I think he needed more than blastia to destroy the adephagos, so because he's a broken war veteran who became disillusioned with humanity he wanted to sacrifice humanity to get the power

Other than that, not really. He's just a broken war veteran

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

He's also the only villain in a jrpg i've ever seen take the protagonist's "it's not too late" offer, so there's that I guess.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Pretty much Duke went around being mysterious for most of the game. But was clearly on the good guys side and helped them out a lot. Even givening them the item they needed to save the world. When in the end the world eating eldritch monster came forth anyway. He decided to use an ancient weapon to destroy it. But in order to power it enough to destroy the beast he would need suck the life energy out of all humanity. (This would kill him as well.) Yuri and gang got another way but Duke felt it would not work. (He was actually correct in this regard they needed a bit more power which Duke supplied after changing his mind.)

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Let them all die THEN tear down the wall.

Are you forgetting his brilliant idea to grab the lance of Kresnik back when all he knew was that it was a weapon that could quite easily destroy the world.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
How is the co-op in Berseria?

E: Hell, how's the combat in Berseria, speaking as someone who really only played Vesperia and Abyss?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Hunt11 posted:

Are you forgetting his brilliant idea to grab the lance of Kresnik back when all he knew was that it was a weapon that could quite easily destroy the world.

That reminds me that Gaius has apparently given exactly zero thought to succession. Given that he's the one that united Auj Oule (and later Rieze Maxia), I don't see how his country could possibly not fragment and/or explode into civil war the moment he died. Clearly, it's important to hoard as many magic WMDs as possible! Nothing could possibly go wrong.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
This week Zestiria the retcon:
-With the bridge hosed, ufotable replaces another scene with Alisha being active and searching for an alternate route to Mariland.
-Earth Form is immediately used without fuss.

-Ouroborus is just a regular hellion, not a seraph in disguise. I think he just got one-punched and that's it.

-The drake boss appears and attacks Ouroborus, I don't remember Drakes being the stage of dragons that can still be purified.

-Atakk meets up with Mikleo as they journey on to Mariland, skipping the whole haunted house quest.

-Sorey makes the bridge to mariland, there's no speech at all about "People will hate and fear you!" decision at all. To be fair, he made the bridge hastily to chase the drake when the other soldiers were basically knocked out from Ouroboros.

-No Lucas at all. It's pretty much dying people, Sorey+Crew, and Alisha for a short while until the drake fight.

-There's a whole elaborate plan to try and get the drake on the ground, culminating in Mikleo's last minute fusion with Sorey which highlights their bond instead of atakk boosting their arrow in a calm night in-game.

Tons of changes as usual, some for time (Lucas) and some smart reorganization of characters without losing too much (Atakk).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

How is the co-op in Berseria?

E: Hell, how's the combat in Berseria, speaking as someone who really only played Vesperia and Abyss?
Co-op's fine from what I've seen. The camera's a little zoomed out and only player 1 can use the tag system, but the tag system is more a neat bonus than the cornerstone of the combat, and Velvet isn't completely broken like Ludger and there's no gimmick that could take control away from another player like Xillia, Xillia 2, or Zestiria.

Also, if you've only played Vesperia and Abyss, it'll be the best combat by a mile. It's very fast and very focused on offense, but it's a lot of fun. Soul management is a really cool gimmick and everyone has a fun mechanic unique to them, Velvet and Eizen especially.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sLtgnFz-go

Here's some 4 player.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Staltran posted:

That reminds me that Gaius has apparently given exactly zero thought to succession. Given that he's the one that united Auj Oule (and later Rieze Maxia), I don't see how his country could possibly not fragment and/or explode into civil war the moment he died. Clearly, it's important to hoard as many magic WMDs as possible! Nothing could possibly go wrong.

The successor is the one who can cook the best Gaius dumplings.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Well, his successor is clearly his and Muzet's child. :colbert:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay, I'm sort of curious about something. Does anyone here have any interesting ideas for a gameplay mechanic for the next tales game? Pure speculation and ideas, just asking out of curiosity and hope that Nam-Ban is reading (but I know they aren't).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bring back narikiri dolls

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The problem with Tales Combat is that there are so many moving interlocking parts that they can't really use the system to its fullest. If you look at action games with good combat systems (KH2, Platinum games), their components are a lot more modular. Save maybe a small handful of core actions you could remove any mechanic or skill and the game would still work, even if it reduces your options and makes some of the tougher fights harder. Tales has this weird problem where there are so many moves and mechanics they're either worthless or part of some insane ad-hoc web of weaknesses and counters that changes the way it operates for each game.

I don't know if their combat system having a new gimmick is important, I'd rather they minify the combat system; strip it down, and only retain what they really need. Fewer but more meaningful parts.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
I want a Final Fantasy X2 plot, where it's after the crew saves the world and we get to see people rebuilding and loving the heroes. From what I understand Xillia 2 doesn't do that much.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jsor posted:

The problem with Tales Combat is that there are so many moving interlocking parts that they can't really use the system to its fullest. If you look at action games with good combat systems (KH2, Platinum games), their components are a lot more modular. Save maybe a small handful of core actions you could remove any mechanic or skill and the game would still work, even if it reduces your options and makes some of the tougher fights harder. Tales has this weird problem where there are so many moves and mechanics they're either worthless or part of some insane ad-hoc web of weaknesses and counters that changes the way it operates for each game.

I don't know if their combat system having a new gimmick is important, I'd rather they minify the combat system; strip it down, and only retain what they really need. Fewer but more meaningful parts.
actually, i disagree, because all arte combos own

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

voltcatfish posted:

He's also the only villain in a jrpg i've ever seen take the protagonist's "it's not too late" offer, so there's that I guess.

And he was a fantastic final boss and that moment where he straight up steals all of your fell arms to become even more super powered was fantastic. He was a really fun fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Endorph posted:

bring back narikiri dolls

and the eleth mixer

Basically use Graces F as a template for everything but make the story good. Maybe make the crafting a bit less obtuse too.

Skychrono posted:

I want a Final Fantasy X2 plot, where it's after the crew saves the world and we get to see people rebuilding and loving the heroes. From what I understand Xillia 2 doesn't do that much.

The Xillia 2 heroes are loving to murder the poo poo out of fractured dimensions :twisted:

Also everyone loves King Gaius.