Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Does anyone know offhand how many episodes of TOS actually had the entire main cast in them? I know Chekov doesn't even show up until season two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Does anyone know offhand how many episodes of TOS actually had the entire main cast in them? I know Chekov doesn't even show up until season two.

If you include the Cage, it was just Nimoy to appear in every episode.

Memory Alpha has actor biographies which tell you how many episodes people appeared in...

Kirk was in every episode
Uhura was in 69
Scotty was in 63
Chekov was in 36
Sulu was in 52

But then I can't tell you how many had both Chekov and Sulu

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

WickedHate posted:

I've always thought if you cut away every bad to mediocre TOS episode you'd have maybe one season worth of material, but with Enterprise you'd have at least two, so Enterprise always beats TOS in terms of objective quantifiable quality. Thoughts?
Enterprise had the luxury of an established franchise and some 40 years of innovation in effects, writing, and an overall maturity of the genre. So it should really be better.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm just saying, regardless of it being a result of what's already been established and an extra season, I can't ever really see ranking TOS above it.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

HD DAD posted:

Threshold could have been good if it was about the mental repercussions of seeing all of time and space at once.

Source: am currently watching Threshold.

The funny thing about Threshold is just how solid the string of episodes immediately after it are.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

HD DAD posted:

Threshold could have been good if it was about the mental repercussions of seeing all of time and space at once.

Source: am currently watching Threshold.

NOOOOOOOOOOO

But, yeah. This is totally right. "Threshold" should be some rad psycho-sci fi that turns Tom Paris into Muad'dib for at least one episode. Instead, we get lizard sex.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If it was 'rapidly evolving to fit its environment' they could have pivoted to 'what type of environment is a human best suitable for' as a philosophical trek episode.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Enterprise might be more consistent than TOS (although outside season 3 of TOS I am skeptical of that) but it clearly doesn't match the heights that TOS achieved.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
More consistently poo poo, maybe

e: loving lol someone in this world thinks there are thirty good episodes in Enterprise

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm betting there are less than 10 good episodes of Enterprise

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Anything with the andorians is decent.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If you're comparing it to the good episodes of TOS, then yeah, of course it isn't going to measure up. Those loving episodes are iconic for a reason. But if you're using the TNG/DS9 metric of good, then yes, there are at least 20-30 good episodes of Enterprise.

You can't compare two completely different eras of tv and be surprised when one or the other doesn't measure up.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Rhyno posted:

So do we have confirmation that souls don't exist in Trek other than Thomas Riker? Because I was thinking about Quantum Dupe Harry and Naomi again and it dawned on me that when the crew of Voyager dies there's already a dead version of each of them in the afterlife.

There's also dozens of dead Next Gen characters after "Cause and Effect"...

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Angry Salami posted:

But on the plus side, they gained Captain Frasier and his crew!

Niles is First Officer, I presume.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Angry Salami posted:

There's a DC comics called the Kingdom that involves a villain killing Superman then traveling back in time to the previous day and doing it again and a gain hundreds of times. I imagine dying and going to heaven to find dozens of your own ghost might be slightly unsettling.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Baka-nin posted:

I finished watching the Animated Series, and I really like it. I first saw a couple episodes on Saturday morning as a young child. Shortly after seeing a few episodes of TOS. It was very weird for a child, that and the cheapness of the show, (a couple of times they cropped out the speaking characters mouth with a ridiculously close, close up) I can see why ratings were poor when it first aired.

I will give filmation some credit, while the crew move really poorly, the aliens got a lot more fluid animation work that didn't clash with their freakish non-humanoid designs, well usually. Some of the stories deserved their reputation for weird campy nonsense, like the one with a giant Spock clone, and of course the one where Kirk and crew hang out with the devil (though I really do like the Devil in that episode). And Uhura and Nurse Chapel got a lot more to do. Overall I think its a shame its second series was cut down to six episodes.

Oh and one of the episodes is called Jihad and its about trying to prevent a race of birds from starting a holy war. Nothing much to add to that, it just made me smile.

One of the great things about TAS that often gets overlooked is how it was such a direct continuation of TOS. The opening credits, the voice actors, the writers--it was one of the most straightforward cartoon adaptations of an existing property wtihout jazzing it up or rebooting it. I appreciated that. It's the closest we have to a TOS S4 (besides Star Trek Continues).

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Rhyno posted:

There's a DC comics called the Kingdom that involves a villain killing Superman then traveling back in time to the previous day and doing it again and a gain hundreds of times. I imagine dying and going to heaven to find dozens of your own ghost might be slightly unsettling.

Let's not even get started on the unlimited alternate-universe versions of you.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It drops off a cliff at season three.

I don't know. For all the poo poo Spock's Brain gets, it kinda mostly narratively hangs together, at least if you don't think about the back story too hard.

As for The Alternative Factor... man, I still don't even know what the hell happened in that one. Something about an antimatter universe and one of the Lazari is insane and there's like a false-color doorway universe, and they have Spaceman Spiff's little ship, but I don't know what the hell any of it meant or why it happened.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Powered Descent posted:

I don't know. For all the poo poo Spock's Brain gets, it kinda mostly narratively hangs together, at least if you don't think about the back story too hard.

As for The Alternative Factor... man, I still don't even know what the hell happened in that one. Something about an antimatter universe and one of the Lazari is insane and there's like a false-color doorway universe, and they have Spaceman Spiff's little ship, but I don't know what the hell any of it meant or why it happened.

I unironically love The Alternative Factor because it is incomprehensible nonsense.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

When you die, your ghost merges with all your quantum duplicates, you become one with the collective experience.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

bull3964 posted:

When you die, your ghost merges with all your quantum duplicates, you become one with the collective experience.

* Powered Descent spontaneously dies in a random accident
:v: Hello, Powered Descent! I'm the you that got hit by a car, in what you think of as that near-miss when you were fourteen!
:v: Hello, Powered Descent! I'm the you that accepted the invitation to go out with that weird girl Jenny and then got hooked on crack with her and died.
:v: Hello, Powered Descent! I'm the you that majored in engineering instead of underwater basket weaving and went on to a lifetime of fortune and fame! I died of natural causes on the Mars Colony in 2089!
:v: Hello, Powered Descent! I'm the you that went to McDonald's instead of Subway and didn't get killed crossing the street just now!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It has its comfort. You don't have to worry about wasting your life because surely one on your incarnations did something great and you'll get to experience it when you pass on.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If you're comparing it to the good episodes of TOS, then yeah, of course it isn't going to measure up. Those loving episodes are iconic for a reason. But if you're using the TNG/DS9 metric of good, then yes, there are at least 20-30 good episodes of Enterprise.

You can't compare two completely different eras of tv and be surprised when one or the other doesn't measure up.

All of this will happen again with Discovery, too. Circle of life.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

If Enterprise had 30 good episodes, I feel like I would have seen one of them at some point. Only Enterprise I remember at all are the bad pilot, A Night in Sickbay, the one where T'Pol gets some space virus, the alien nazi two-parter, and the (admittedly pretty fun) mirror universe one. Of course, it's possible I was one of the millions of UPN viewers who had given up on Trek by then and I'm sure there are tons of episodes I never saw or only half watched, but I did try and I feel like if I'd seen even one or two episodes that approached the quality of The Corbomite Maneuver, Balance of Terror, or Journey to Babel, I would have kept watching.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

UPN viewers

If you're bad, you go to a place where the dead believe they're still livin' and they pray for death, but death won't come.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

skasion posted:

More consistently poo poo, maybe

e: loving lol someone in this world thinks there are thirty good episodes in Enterprise

loving lol you can't count OR detect a Futurama reference.

I was clearly referring to TOS, which had 79 episodes, and to "Where No Fan Has Gone Before" with Fry talking to Leonard Nimoy's (RIP) head.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Come to think of it, it's pretty sad that the Earthican government apparently didn't bother to ban the animated series.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

bull3964 posted:

So chances are one of my duplicates has touched a booby and I'll get to remember that experience when I'm dead.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Cojawfee posted:

So chances are one of my duplicates has touched a booby and I'll get to remember that experience when I'm dead.

Hahaha, no. Some things do strain credulity.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

After The War posted:

I need to know that there are stories featuring Sarcastic Native American Guy and Lt. Dangle from Reno 911!. I need to.

EDIT - And Blue Guy and the My First Convention Vulcan Ears Twins, why not.
Indeed!

BTW Sarcastic Native American Guy is actually a woman. Her name is Spring Rain on Still Water. Do what you will with this info. :)

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Baka-nin posted:

Cool, any details, or has the iron fist of CBS got you under some kind of bind?

Come to think of it, they didn't make us sign anything and they sent an agency wide email about it...

NASA filmed a bunch of little group "happy 50th" group things. I'm in one of them.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm on season two of TOS now, and I hate Chekov. He is The Worst.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Halfway through season four of Voyager and Belana is pregnant as gently caress isn't she?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Rhyno posted:

Halfway through season four of Voyager and Belana is pregnant as gently caress isn't she?

If she's wearing the weird coat with the pocket full of useless looking tools then yes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

8one6 posted:

If she's wearing the weird coat with the pocket full of useless looking tools then yes.

And some sort of badges for some reason? I'm at the Hirogen Holodeck episode.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Rhyno posted:

And some sort of badges for some reason? I'm at the Hirogen Holodeck episode.

No those are the tools.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Apollodorus posted:

No those are the tools.

These are tools?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Looks like a pair of magneton calipers, an isolinear probe, a modulating rectifier and a pencil.

Checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Rhyno posted:

These are tools?

Yeah it has narrow pockets that open at the color line. Most of the tool is on the black part that you can't see easily in SD (which is why they had her wear the jacket to hide the pregnancy).