Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I have decided that next time I am going to bus a lane of iron gears because jesus christ it's really annoying in some places to build those loving things in situ for how common they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Toadsmash posted:

Giving you richer resources as you get farther from the starting location (this was the bit that .13 brought into the base game) isn't the only thing RSO does. It also pretty drastically changes the way the patches spawn so that you're a lot more likely to get single larger patches instead of eleventy billion bite size patches. Honestly that bit matters more to me than the former function because the stock game's usual habits drive my OCD reflex batshit insane and make for some seriously fugly (to me anyway) base layouts.

The second function also has the neat side effect of tending to make you take far fewer restarts to get a not godawful starting location spawn.
I seem to remember reading that if you turn resource frequency down in the base game the net effect is much larger (and rarer) patches

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Only compared to other non-RSO games with the patch size turned all the way up. I've tried exactly that setup multiple times -- frequency bottomed out, patch size turned all the way up -- and the net result is still much, much, much more piecemeal than any RSO game. I'm sure lots of people don't mind that, but as soon as I tried RSO, it was almost physically painful to go back to vanilla resource spawns even in .13+.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
RSO is good, use it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

My two main Iron Stations (named "Iron Depot") are now fully functioning. How do I get trains to use both? Currently, I've got two iron-delivery trains and they always stop at the first one instead of the second one. I initially hoped that they'd stop at the first station and allow the second train in behind them to offload at the second station.

Just an FYI, the stations are situated on a straight track. The stations are spaced far enough apart to allow a train with 4 wagons to pull into the station.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Can anyone recommend a good guide for the early through middle game? I tried watching some youtubes but I keep getting overwhelmed by all the poo poo going on and being like OH I NEED TO BUILD THAT OOOO I NEED THIS AH NEATO I WANT LITTLE DRONES

Or at least a thing that has scalable yet simple builds for each major resource

Edit: also a simple train unloaded that isn't as slow as molasses would be dope too

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 3, 2016

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Loopoo posted:

My two main Iron Stations (named "Iron Depot") are now fully functioning. How do I get trains to use both? Currently, I've got two iron-delivery trains and they always stop at the first one instead of the second one. I initially hoped that they'd stop at the first station and allow the second train in behind them to offload at the second station.

Just an FYI, the stations are situated on a straight track. The stations are spaced far enough apart to allow a train with 4 wagons to pull into the station.

They always go to the closest destination. If you want them two use two stations, they need to be on different sets of track (or at least have a way around the first station)

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Loopoo posted:

You need to use parallel tracks, setting up stations in series isn't going to work at all.

Tusen Takk posted:

Edit: also a simple train unloaded that isn't as slow as molasses would be dope too

Once you research them, stack inserters load/unload trains really fast. Fast inserters aren't too bad, either.

You are unloading into chests which then unload onto belts, right? Or logistics stuff if you're a bit crazy.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

thedaian posted:

You need to use parallel tracks, setting up stations in series isn't going to work at all.

Once you research them, stack inserters load/unload trains really fast. Fast inserters aren't too bad, either.

You are unloading into chests which then unload onto belts, right? Or logistics stuff if you're a bit crazy.

Uh now I am

I have stack inserters so I'll have to set that up soon. I just got a shitload of plastic cranking out and set up and automatic train to pick it up and drop it off from the oil field, now I'm looking to optimize my factory and hopefully explore more of the map in order to get more steel production

I'll have to post a screenshot when I get home, I turned biters off for my first play through so I can get used to it before having to worry about making ammo and getting killed etc

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Toadsmash posted:

Only compared to other non-RSO games with the patch size turned all the way up. I've tried exactly that setup multiple times -- frequency bottomed out, patch size turned all the way up -- and the net result is still much, much, much more piecemeal than any RSO game. I'm sure lots of people don't mind that, but as soon as I tried RSO, it was almost physically painful to go back to vanilla resource spawns even in .13+.

Interestingly enough, RSO updated today to allow multiple starting areas to be defined. That along with other 0.13 features should mean someone can make a mod to allow multi player maps where everyone gets there own area to build in. Maybe resource or item sales between them. Or warfare of course. Or combined with the outposts mod? Homeworld with multiple factories?
Things are really starting to warm up in the multiplayer part of Factorio.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Well that's a bummer. I had no idea stations in series would be janky. I was hoping trains would always pull into the station nearest the exit. I can't really expand and make parallel tracks because I've already spent about two hours laying all the chest / belt / splitter stuff and putting all the belts where I want them. No way I'm gonna dismantle all that and start over.

I think I'll just rename the Depots to Depot1 / Depot2 respectively for Copper + Ore and just hope it doesn't cause too much traffic. I've got a huge lay-by right at the entrance to my main station so I've got plenty of space for trains to wait for an open spot. I'll also put the conditions of "Empty Cargohold OR Inactivity for 5 secs" to ensure a train doesn't block a fully-loaded one from reaching the farthest stations. Wish me luck?

On more positive notes: building a base from the ground up when I already have the huge infrastructure of my main base to bolster my building is really awesome. I can plan everything perfectly. I've got the ore belts leading directly into the area that'll be the main smelting area. To the left of the smelting area, I'll have my main bus system with linear branches for assemblers to make everything I could ever need, depositing the items in chests along a concrete main pathway in my base.

South of the main bus / smelting area, I'll have my small dedicated oil refinery area, which has the main purpose of just getting me enough blue science to unlock Advanced Oil Processing. Then I'll build a much bigger oil refining area a few minutes East. I can then ship all the final products (petroleum, heavy, light) to my new base to be used there.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 4, 2016

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

thedaian posted:

You might be able to do something with circuits and turn off the first station unless the one behind it has less ore waiting to be picked up.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Loopoo posted:

Well that's a bummer. I had no idea stations in series would be janky. I was hoping trains would always pull into the station nearest the exit. I can't really expand and make parallel tracks because I've already spent about two hours laying all the chest / belt / splitter stuff and putting all the belts where I want them. No way I'm gonna dismantle all that and start over.

I think I'll just rename the Depots to Depot1 / Depot2 respectively for Copper + Ore and just hope it doesn't cause too much traffic. I've got a huge lay-by right at the entrance to my main station so I've got plenty of space for trains to wait for an open spot. I'll also put the conditions of "Empty Cargohold OR Inactivity for 5 secs" to ensure a train doesn't block a fully-loaded one from reaching the farthest stations. Wish me luck?

Paging Dr Robots, paging all robots. Bring Nurse Blueprint...

2 hours? Embrace the bot bro. Pull it up and relay it in 10 minutes (if that).

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Ratzap posted:

Paging Dr Robots, paging all robots. Bring Nurse Blueprint...

2 hours? Embrace the bot bro. Pull it up and relay it in 10 minutes (if that).

Bots are great and all but I still have to make the first copy for the blueprint to use. I mean I guess I could but I really can't be hosed tearing it all down and starting over. I've only got 80 construction bots. I'll probably do it later on down the line when I've got properly dedicated areas to make bots and all that.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Wait a sec, right now I have an (unused) station setup where there are two stations in series but there's a bypass so that a train in Station 1 can be bypassed by one going to Station 2 and vice-versa. Will this work?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Tarezax posted:

Wait a sec, right now I have an (unused) station setup where there are two stations in series but there's a bypass so that a train in Station 1 can be bypassed by one going to Station 2 and vice-versa. Will this work?

Yeah it should. If one train is stopped at a station and is preventing access to a similarly named station up the line, any trains trying to get to the location will use any alternative routes to reach there.

I shoulda just build mine parallel but I didn't have the width to do so cause I built my new base within spitting distance of my old one (cause it was the only location with flat empty desert and I really didn't wanna waste ages burning massive swathes of forest down and then shotgunning the burnt trees away).

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Yes, that will work. Instead of putting the station on a siding so that incoming trains that aren't going to it just bypass it, you've made the main line bend around the stations instead.

The top is the "normal" way to do it (mainline goes straight, stations come off it) and the bottom is what I think you're doing:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

bitterandtwisted posted:

I'm in my fist playthrough and enjoying it so far, but I'm bad at it. I made a big loop that all resources go on and all factories, science buildings etc pick up from, so it's a mess and the whole thing gets clogged up with whatever resource is in least demand.

Think I'll just start over with this lesson learned.

Are there any recommended video LPs around?

FWIW: I've just started as well, and I found https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-7ICWbZUDjm5XnTz7F-M-EAN0r6crZTX to be helpful, though it's pretty drat long and skips a few things (train station facing, aiieeee...)

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Yeah that's pretty much what I did

I have a typical parallel rail line that widens out to a big loop that houses all the stations. So trains will drive forwards up the left side, and the right-most line is for outward traffic leading back onto my main life.

The trains enter from the left and exit out onto the right.

I didn't do the top example in your post because to leave enough space for inserts + chests and all the belts, it has to be much wider and I didn't wanna expand the main railway station too deeply into the desert, cause it'd force me to build into forest which is a bitch to do.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Forget about parallel stations, why don't you have any signals? :ohdear:

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Loopoo posted:

I didn't do the top example in your post because to leave enough space for inserts + chests and all the belts, it has to be much wider and I didn't wanna expand the main railway station too deeply into the desert, cause it'd force me to build into forest which is a bitch to do.

Do you have the materials handy yet to mass-manufacture grenades or poison capsules? Even if you don't have a swarm of construction robots yet, either of those will demolish forests very effectively - but be careful with grenades because they will damage you. Actually, so will poison capsules, but they're a little less... abrupt about it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

thedaian posted:

Or logistics stuff if you're a bit crazy.

Ratzap posted:

Embrace the bot bro.

Robots are love, robots are life

http://i.imgur.com/qTh9GI0.gifv

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
That's pretty mesmerizing. And pretty in its own way.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
For unloading setups like that, do you guys usually create an isolated logistics network for the unloading bots or is that meshed with your base's main network?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
It has to be part of the base's main network in order to get anything from those storage chests to the rest of the factory, right?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Solumin posted:

It has to be part of the base's main network in order to get anything from those storage chests to the rest of the factory, right?

It's isolated, there are requestor chests in there that feed ore to the rest of the factory (and not shown below that gif there's a wall of requestor chests that request anything that isn't ore, dump it on a belt, and stuff it into an active provider on the other logistics network just in case something silly ends up in ore storage. And vice versa, all ore is sucked out of the main network and stuffed into the trainyard.)

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Loopoo posted:

if they are on the same line ( ====A=====B====) then trains will always use A because that's what pathfinding determines is the closest free station.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Solumin posted:

Forget about parallel stations, why don't you have any signals? :ohdear:

Don't worry man, I'm god of signals. I just didn't get around to placing them yet.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Loopoo posted:

Yeah that's pretty much what I did

I have a typical parallel rail line that widens out to a big loop that houses all the stations. So trains will drive forwards up the left side, and the right-most line is for outward traffic leading back onto my main life.

The trains enter from the left and exit out onto the right.

if you're willing to stagger the bottom row of stations left a little you can put three more lines in and have your "duel stations of each type" setup. your unloaders can be squished horizontally to give you enough room

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Sep 4, 2016

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
I'm finding it impossible to set up double headed trains in the new version. It doesn't seem to matter which side the stations are on, I always get a 'no path' after pulling in to one end. I'm 100% sure I'm being an idiot so could anyone please give a short explanation/diagram? Cheers

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Rapacity posted:

I'm finding it impossible to set up double headed trains in the new version. It doesn't seem to matter which side the stations are on, I always get a 'no path' after pulling in to one end. I'm 100% sure I'm being an idiot so could anyone please give a short explanation/diagram? Cheers

are you sure your heads are facing the right way?
what do you mean by "pulling in", driving into the station manually?
are there any one-way signals before the station?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
This is pretty cute: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Teralink/vwtransporter

meep meep, camper coming through.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand

Zetsubou-san posted:

are you sure your heads are facing the right way?
what do you mean by "pulling in", driving into the station manually?
are there any one-way signals before the station?

I'm away from the pc right now but by pulling in I mean it'll travel to one station or end fine then can't path back. There are no signals yet at all. I'll check later and post a screen or something. I was wonderingif there was an obvious gotcha that everyone missed.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Is there actually fuel in the engine at the tail end of the train? Also double check the station placement.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The most common gotchas for that design are
The trains heads are pointed in alternate directions from each other
Everythings got fuel
Stations are on the correct side (need to be on the right hand side by direction of travel). When placing you should see a ghost train pointed toward the end of your track

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011
For having two unloading stations in series, why not just put only one actual train station post at the far station, and have just a signal instead at the close station? If the far station is available, the train will use it as usual. If the far station is occupied, the train will pull up to the near station and get unloaded even though it's really just waiting to get to the far station.

Psawhn fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 5, 2016

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I've found myself a new hobby: drive-by Factorio.

There are dozens of games under 'Multiplayer -> Browse Public Games'. Pick one at random, log in and have a look around. I repaired one factory that'd been trashed by someone/thing, started another one up to green science, played around on a really huge map with very low resources. You never know what the next click will uncover.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Has anyone had a problem with vandals in public games, out of curiousity?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Ratzap posted:

I've found myself a new hobby: drive-by Factorio.

There are dozens of games under 'Multiplayer -> Browse Public Games'. Pick one at random, log in and have a look around. I repaired one factory that'd been trashed by someone/thing, started another one up to green science, played around on a really huge map with very low resources. You never know what the next click will uncover.

That actually sounds really fun and interesting to do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Toadsmash posted:

Has anyone had a problem with vandals in public games, out of curiousity?

Yes.
Sadly, that can only be solved by whitelisting of some kind, as permission levels are not a thing yet.

Well, to be fair, if the public server is set to verify identity (as in require a valid factorio account with linked game license) then any admin can ban the vandal and unless he has several accounts, he won't be able to come back. Of course identifying the perp in question is the hard part...