Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Zore posted:

Because its like 10 names total.

Also, Cheren and Bianca were memorable and good. :colbert:

Aren't Cheren and Bianca like your next door neighbors

Plus Cheren becomes a gym leader and Bianca becomes a lab assistant or whatever, they only battle you because that's the Pokemon thing

I will say though that their themes are great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yr5Taoyalo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

bobjr posted:

The worst rival is the one is R/S because they just sort of did nothing and disappear halfway through the game.

They suck. In the originals they never even fully evolve their starter. What losers!

HoneyBoy posted:

Aren't Cheren and Bianca like your next door neighbors

Plus Cheren becomes a gym leader and Bianca becomes a lab assistant or whatever, they only battle you because that's the Pokemon thing

While on their adventure Cheren and Bianca grow as people and learn valuable life lessons that inspire them to follow different career paths in the pokemon world rather than just beating all the gyms, and it's cool and good.

Black and White had 3 rivals and all of them were great. What a good game.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Hugh's theme owns so he's cool in my book. And him being really mad about his sister's cat getting stolen 2 years ago is also good, he's just not that great as an actual rival imo. He doesn't really have any beef with you and he doesn't actually want to compete with you either since your goals don't conflict or anything. It's not like Barry where you're both aiming to be champ, he just really wants to beat up a criminal organisation and is happy you're helping him out with that.

Colress as a crazy mad scientist who disagrees with Team Plasma's doctrine but helps them anyway because Ghetsis is funding his science, and then just leaves to keep doing what he's doing without them once they're beat is actually a really great characterisation and does not need to be changed.

Colress might be my favourite Evil Team Leader, even if he's only like co-leader. Also, he has my favourite theme.

Colress is a neat character, because he's just pure :science: , and not only does he bear the player character no ill will, he's pretty friendly. When I was playing for the first time and went to confront him in the airship, I was feeling more, "oh boy it's time to battle with my science buddy!" than "Imma beat that smug evildoer". He's, I guess you might say, an anti-villain.

to be honest B2/W2 has a hella dumb plot, but the game progression, Pokemon availability (hello, friend Growlithe!), and the new areas make up for it. I like that weird little mountain town a lot in particular. Plus the postgame being largely the beginning areas of B/W is kinda inspired.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
I still maintain that Silver is the best rival because your first introduction is him kicking your rear end plus he follows in his father's footsteps and stole his first Pokemon.

Also he eventually comes around and he softens up and becomes friends with his Pokemon instead of treating them like tools, as evidenced by seeing his team progression where his Zubat evolves into a Golbat and eventually into a Crobat.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
I think it's really cool that HIS DAD IS GIOVANNI

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

I don't remember this one at all. I don't remember Iris at all. Guess I should replay B2/W2? :shrug:

I remember Iris because I got all the medals for beating the Elite Four with a mono-type team.

I fought her 18 times.

Iris's theme is fun, the background is space, she's wearing a pretty pink princess dress and she has a Lapras and an Aggron.

I like her.

I also really like Cheren and Bianca and like that they got jobs for B2/W2. They were definitely better friends than the group from XY.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

HoneyBoy posted:

I still maintain that Silver is the best rival because your first introduction is him kicking your rear end

Never once did this happen.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

HoneyBoy posted:

I think it's really cool that HIS DAD IS GIOVANNI

you're thinking of red

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Spatula City posted:

Colress is a neat character, because he's just pure :science: , and not only does he bear the player character no ill will, he's pretty friendly. When I was playing for the first time and went to confront him in the airship, I was feeling more, "oh boy it's time to battle with my science buddy!" than "Imma beat that smug evildoer". He's, I guess you might say, an anti-villain.

to be honest B2/W2 has a hella dumb plot, but the game progression, Pokemon availability (hello, friend Growlithe!), and the new areas make up for it. I like that weird little mountain town a lot in particular. Plus the postgame being largely the beginning areas of B/W is kinda inspired.

Colress rules because he's introduced talking about how dumb Plasma's philosophy is, and when the reveal happens you expect all that to have just been a lie. But nah, everything he's said to you has been completely sincere and the only reason he's even working for them is because goddamn does he love science.

I unironically love B2/W2's dumb plot. It has a flying pirate ship with an ice cannon that is powered by the husk of an ancient dragon. It's impossible for me to hate it. :allears:

Edit: Also, Iris is a good champion because she has a team of dinosaurs and her battle pose is growling at you like a dragon while she is wearing a pretty dress. Iris is one of the better champions.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You're not playing these games right if you didn't talk to every NPC

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Zurai posted:

I never thought of using my X and OR to get trade evolutions done. Thank you so much for that idea! That simplifies finishing my living dex so much. I only need like 50 more 'mons and about half of those are loving trade evos. Porygon is going to be a pain in the rear end still though.

You could also ask some goons for help, since that sounds like a lot of trading around.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

mmkay posted:

You could also ask some goons for help, since that sounds like a lot of trading around.

I need a lot of trade 'mons. Like, almost all of them. Simpler to just do some trades back and forth while I'm watching a movie or whatever. It's no big deal, and realizing that I can actually trade between my own games makes things 1000% simpler than I was expecting already.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

bobjr posted:

The worst rival is the one is R/S because they just sort of did nothing and disappear halfway through the game.

Weird thing about R/S or at least the remakes; the team leaders felt more like proper rivals then actual villains. Not bad per say but very odd. And yeah whoever you select as your rival in game May/Brendan is pretty bad as far as rivals go. Wally kinda sorta steps up to the plate at the end, but for that fun antagonistic relationship the team leaders fill that niche pretty dang well.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

When you talk to him while he's lurking outside the lab he literally just boots you away.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Zore posted:

Because its like 10 names total.

Also, Cheren and Bianca were memorable and good. :colbert:

this friend reminded me how freaking good gen 5 was. I mean, even without Fairy, it did so much to just make it look and feel incredible. BW and B2W2 were such an excellent sendoff to the era of pixelated pokemon sprites.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The only rivals I really remember were Blue, Silver, Cheren, and Bianca. Blue because of his attitude, Silver because he had a nice little character arc (but also seemed to show up a lot in the game), and then the B/W duo because they had little arcs that ended with them being mentor figures for you in B2/W2. I can't really remember anyone else.

Welllllll, the X/Y crew I liked but I don't really remember their names. There might have been too many of them. But the 'group of friends' thing was a fun approach.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
I can't find the page, but Silver's also one of the only pokemon special characters who takes "escalation" to a new height in that series, where your first introduction is him stealing one of the pokemon from the lab, and then his second introduction is saying 'I don't have time to deal with you, check out my sick Tyranitar' in the sprout tower. :black101:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

HoneyBoy posted:

Also he eventually comes around and he softens up and becomes friends with his Pokemon instead of treating them like tools, as evidenced by seeing his team progression where his Zubat evolves into a Golbat and eventually into a Crobat.

Are you... tamashii hiroka.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Ka0 posted:

I'm upset that I googled this

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Kelp Plankton posted:

The only rivals I really remember were Blue, Silver, Cheren, and Bianca. Blue because of his attitude, Silver because he had a nice little character arc (but also seemed to show up a lot in the game), and then the B/W duo because they had little arcs that ended with them being mentor figures for you in B2/W2. I can't really remember anyone else.

Welllllll, the X/Y crew I liked but I don't really remember their names. There might have been too many of them. But the 'group of friends' thing was a fun approach.

It's a fun idea but most of them are kinda garbage. Like, I get the whole different motivations thing, but none of them have a lot going on besides that. I think if you cut Tierno and whatsisname Pokedex Guy, and used the extra space to flesh out Shauna and your rival a bit more, that it'd go a long way.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Cheren and Bianca remain my favorite rivals. They helped out a lot, had real character arcs, and generally behaved like your old friends. I'm not sure if he counts as such, but N was pretty good as a creepy manchild puppet.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Bianca is the best rival and I love the scene with her dad and Elesa. She and Cheren need to stop ambushing me and fighting me though, it's freaking annoying.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I think we can all agree that the blonde kid from diamond/pearl is the worst rival.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Barack is a great rival.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Hardcordion posted:

I think we can all agree that the blonde kid from diamond/pearl is the worst rival.

ban.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hardcordion posted:

i like barry, he feels like a true bud in that he pokes fun at you in the way friends do, but you know he's got your back.

i don't know if nob posts any more but good work with that

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Hardcordion posted:

Barry is the loving best rival just for being the last one allowed to have a good team.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

The Lord of Hats posted:

It's a fun idea but most of them are kinda garbage. Like, I get the whole different motivations thing, but none of them have a lot going on besides that. I think if you cut Tierno and whatsisname Pokedex Guy, and used the extra space to flesh out Shauna and your rival a bit more, that it'd go a long way.

gently caress that. Keep Tierno and kill the rest. A fat breakdancer is what pokemon needed. I hope he takes a vacation to Alola and becomes the new Cynthia.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Hardcordion posted:

nice shitpost

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hardcordion posted:

Please don't troll in the pokemon thread.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Ka0 posted:

She said almost exactly the same thing I did so I guess yeah, I am the Pikachu onesie girl.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I hated the friends in XY because they were dumb and annoying and I could perfectly imagine their voices if they were an anime and they were bad and aggravating.
Do not disagree with me I used to moderate one of the biggest Pokemon fansites of the early 2000's so I am very powerful in Pokemon

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
How can you hate Tierno? He has a hawlucha

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
good rivals:
blue
silver
wally
barry
cheren
bianca

ok rivals:
hugh
shauna

bad rivals:
brendan/may
calem/serena
trevor

dance zone:
tierno

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
The friends in XY were great because if your name started with D or P, they defaulted to calling you Big D or Lil D.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Barry is the loving best rival just for being the only one allowed to have a good team.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Pokemon Megathread 7.0: Our favorite rival is every rival

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Blue had a good one, you know, relative to what RBY and all its jank would allow. Barry was just the end result of the power creep before the games got dumbed down so the target demographic could beat them (nothing wrong with that), with Starter Trash Bird having Close Combat and Intimidate.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

blue had a goddamn pidgeot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
My favorite rival is gamefreak and all the retarded restrictions and handicaps they put in place to prevent me from completing my dex.