Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

dupersaurus posted:

If you want to talk about killing reasons, what I've been told is that the skull is generally too hard for the dueling foil (a fairly light blade) to reliably puncture, and the parts of the head that are vulnerable are hard to hit. Easier to hit the torso, and easier to get a crippling shot on it.
Surprisingly that whole killing thing might not be as easy as you imagine it:

(:nms: if you cant stand bloody descriptions of historcal duels and medical descriptions of the effects of bladed weapons. Thankfully no images).
The Dubious Quick Kill, part 1
The Dubious Quick Kill, part 2

Modern knife or axe/folding-spade fighting systems are very, very specific about where you need to cut or stab to kill someone. I guess a large or very large blade would mitigrate that need for accuracy to a certain degree, but in the very end, the reason why our modern HEMA will never be anything other than a sport is that that knowledge is not part of the curriculum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Oh yeah, I make no claims to how long it'll take to kill someone by stabbing them through the torso (just look at the many stories of people continuing on after being shot by guns), but as that first link alludes to, you've got better odds there than the head:

quote:

After the later received a rapier blow which bounced off his head, Bazanez is said to have received an unspecified number of thrusts which, according to the account, "entered" the body.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

EricD posted:

Every form of training is to a degree artificial. That does not mean they are not useful. It takes thought and self-discipline though. I mean yeah if you're winding up a big blow and you hop-skip into it and swing your sword like a baseball bat to make the cut, you might make the cut but you aren't teaching yourself good habits by cutting in that fashion. A good instructor should provide correction. If you are cutting from a guard into another guard, cutting in a way that would keep your sword between your body and your opponent's sword, keeping your movements tight and controlled, and maintaining proper balance and posture throughout your movements, while still delivering an effective cut, then you are test cutting in a way which is training better habits for an actual sword-fight. Cutting is a skill which must be practiced. How exactly do you propose we develop said skill if not by test cutting?

I mean medieval peoples themselves used artificial competitions and games to prepare for war. All their martial games, the hastiludes and tournaments and melees, they were all intended to train and prepare young men-at-arms for real battle. Late sources talk about "school fencing" as opposed to "fencing in earnest". Clearly they saw some value in artificial competitions and other forms of practice.

Cutting tests can serve as a good indicator of technique for sure, but it's also easy to train for test cutting...and if you make a competition out of it, people will do just that and it becomes a thing of it's own, rather than a byproduct of correct training.

Correct cutting technique comes from supervised basic practice. I don't know if HEMA armor is strong enough that you can practice on a partner, but if not, then practicing without will suffice.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Correct cutting technique comes from supervised basic practice.

Correct, with the caveat that test cutting is a way of making sure that what you think is your correct cutting technique actually is correct cutting technique. You do a cut a thousand times on air/partner, then do the same cut once on tatami to verify that it actually cuts and you haven't been getting sloppy with alignment or structure or whatever. Your instructor can get a lot of information from the results to identify areas for improvement. The ideal should always be to have your solo practice cut, your test cutting cut, and your live sparring cut be the same thing.

The trick to make it work productively in competition is to have judges who are very good cutters and swordmans who will notice and rules that penalize you for doing the stuff that makes a clean cut but isn't martially sound. I hope this will get better as HEMA cutting moves out of the novelty phase.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

If anything, cutting tatami is one of the few competitions which isn't in some way artificial. It's always done in a vacuum and with a particular intent that isn't inherently combative. Perform X cut on this tatami, and do it with these criteria which are tantamount to cutting effectively and efficiently. It's only artificial if you go into it thinking its a simulator for human flesh or whatever. It's not, and it never really was intended to be. It's just a medium that helps visualize good cutting technique.

In other news: I got my bitchin' gauntlets after nearly a year of waiting and worrying the dude stole my money.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 4, 2016

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Verisimilidude posted:

In other news: I got my bitchin' gauntlets after nearly a year of waiting and worrying the dude stole my money.

Nice! I generally distrust historical gauntlets but those are too :black101: to not love.

In Nordic news, the Swedish HEMA Championships are on, and they're fighting the finals. Next up the military sabre gold medal match: https://www.facebook.com/SvHEMAF/?fref=nf (The fight for bronze was the vilest sabre I've ever seen. :cripes:)

Edit: Christ almighty "HEMA Black" photographs like rear end.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Sep 4, 2016

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Verisimilidude posted:

What do you plan to use them for? Would you mind uploading some pictures of them while you wear them?

Because if those are actual fingered gloves that provide enough protection for longsword sparring you can't not post the source...

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Verisimilidude posted:

If anything, cutting tatami is one of the few competitions which isn't in some way artificial. It's always done in a vacuum and with a particular intent that isn't inherently combative. Perform X cut on this tatami, and do it with these criteria which are tantamount to cutting effectively and efficiently. It's only artificial if you go into it thinking its a simulator for human flesh or whatever. It's not, and it never really was intended to be. It's just a medium that helps visualize good cutting technique.

I like the separate thumbs. I take it the fingers aren't complete and only cover the tops?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

BirdOfPlay posted:

I like the separate thumbs. I take it the fingers aren't complete and only cover the tops?

Yeah, the finger plates are slightly wider than my actual fingers, and they curve a bit, but they only give partial coverage to the side of the fingers. As for the thumbs, they're attached with a hinge that allows full movement.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The hinge will flip open at the worst possible times, fyi.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Siivola posted:

The hinge will flip open at the worst possible times, fyi.

It will be sewn in place so if it does flip open it will be with my thumb inside.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Here's some classical fencing for y'all: https://www.facebook.com/swordsmanshop/videos/645824555593953/

It's kinda like foil on benzos. :shobon:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 4, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
don't post small sword

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Siivola posted:

looks really fast and nimble to me :shrug:

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Siivola posted:

Here's some classical fencing for y'all: https://www.facebook.com/swordsmanshop/videos/645824555593953/

Oooo. Look at those lunges. I used to be all about Gu, but these cats just put him to shame. :swoon:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

BirdOfPlay posted:

Oooo. Look at those lunges. I used to be all about Gu, but these cats just put him to shame. :swoon:

The lady in black is also over 60. I've been to the Martinez Academy, and both maestros (they're married, it's adorable) are amazing.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Uh, so that looks like, well, foil? I'm guessing the rules are that double touches are totally not OK, so maybe something more like epee but with foil target and foil lockout timing. Grabbing your opponent's weapon with your offhand or armpit as far as I'm concerned is just not cricket for a civilised duel, though.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Here's a pretty cool technique video that focuses mostly on disarms and grapples. Not sure what the outfits are about, but I think they look neat.

https://www.facebook.com/lutz.horvath/posts/10157343915735591

Edit: YouTube link http://youtu.be/X0NRBlQuPTA

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 5, 2016

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

My mask overlay from Neyman Fencing finally arrived! :toot:

I like it, it turns the mask into a goofy kendo helmet. Looking forward to getting hit on the head.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Verisimilidude posted:

Here's a pretty cool technique video that focuses mostly on disarms and grapples. Not sure what the outfits are about, but I think they look neat.

https://www.facebook.com/lutz.horvath/posts/10157343915735591

Edit: YouTube link http://youtu.be/X0NRBlQuPTA

Just a heads up, if you're watching this at work, there's a video who's picture has exposed boobs on it.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Isn't that based on your search/watch history, and if so, what have you been watching lately? :wiggle:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Love these new gauntlets. I got the glove attached to one so far, but there are a few issues. The biggest one is the lack of protection between the thumb and forefinger, which seems ripe for being struck or stabbed and breaking my finger in the process. The next issue is that you feel strikes across the width of the top of the hand, and across the fingers because of the rivets. The thin leather does little to stop the pain, and will probably lead to bruised (but unbroken) hands. The next gauntlet I'm going to experiment with inner glove. I bought a pair of oil rigger gloves that should work particularly well, but we'll see.

As for the pros of the gauntlets, they're extremely mobile. Motion is almost one-to-one, and I haven't had any issue going through the more awkward motions associated with HEMA gloves. Also their profiles are extremely small, close to the size of my actual hands. I can grip the hilt of an Albion Meyer with no issue.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Those look sauron as gently caress and someone should bribe the fie to declare them compliant.
But, the way that the overlapping changes direction halfway up the forearm looks worrying to me - couldn't a stab to the wrist/arm end up sliding between the plates quite easily? Although that might not be such an issue if there's decent material underneath.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Is it okay to just wordlessly scream about incoming HEMA drama or would you like some context? :negative:

Today a famous HEMA person got called out for sharing a Hitler Jugend photo from a literal Nazi blog on their Tumblr. And just now their partner – also a famous HEMA person – reblogged said photo because what this community needed was a bit of good old :godwinning:

Aaaaaaaaaaaa

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Crazy Achmed posted:

Those look sauron as gently caress and someone should bribe the fie to declare them compliant.
But, the way that the overlapping changes direction halfway up the forearm looks worrying to me - couldn't a stab to the wrist/arm end up sliding between the plates quite easily? Although that might not be such an issue if there's decent material underneath.

The gap is very tight, it'd have to be a one in a million shot, and most longsword feders have rolled tips which wouldn't fit in there at all.

Siivola posted:

Is it okay to just wordlessly scream about incoming HEMA drama or would you like some context? :negative:

Today a famous HEMA person got called out for sharing a Hitler Jugend photo from a literal Nazi blog on their Tumblr. And just now their partner – also a famous HEMA person – reblogged said photo because what this community needed was a bit of good old :godwinning:

Aaaaaaaaaaaa

If it's who I think it is I'm not at all surprised. The best part is when they try to defend themselves from accusations of being nazi sympathizers, usually with something along the lines of "look we don't think the foreigners are bad, we just don't want them coming in, ruining the society white people struggled to produce, and then mixing their races into ours. You guys need to stop being so PC."

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

My teacher Tristan is trying to increase his media presence. Here's a video of him cutting like a boss and a preview for more videos (with actual production levels) to come.

Preview: https://youtu.be/u-CP-pb8_QE
Cutting: https://youtu.be/O4jLFVZ-z_U

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Siivola posted:

Aaaaaaaaaaaa

You gotta link this poo poo son

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Well, if you insist. http://freeduellist.tumblr.com/post/147457224685/bdm-88-hj-boys-boxing

The picture itself is, as you can see, pretty innocent. Y'know, German boys doing sports in the forties. But because it's a reblog, there's this implicit "so I came across this Nazi blog and–" undercurrent to it that creeps me out.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Siivola posted:

Well, if you insist. http://freeduellist.tumblr.com/post/147457224685/bdm-88-hj-boys-boxing

The picture itself is, as you can see, pretty innocent. Y'know, German boys doing sports in the forties. But because it's a reblog, there's this implicit "so I came across this Nazi blog and–" undercurrent to it that creeps me out.

Lol the dude even has 88 in the name hahahahahahahaha

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh that's just the original source for the caption, it was reblogged from a completely different Nazi blog.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

If you are reblogging pictures of hitler jugend boxing matches from blogs with 88 in the title, thats means you agree with it lol.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Siivola posted:

Yup, exactly who I thought it was.

Edit: check out this tumblr, which seeks to point out racism within HEMA.

https://swordsofthewhiterose.tumblr.com/

Once people (read: racists) found out this blog exists, they got super butt hurt and obviously this means that liberals are the real nazis?

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 9, 2016

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
So Konsmo is a racist? Unfortunate.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I dunno if I'd go that far, but it would sure be nice to not have Nazi blogs on my dashboard.

Verisimilidude posted:

Edit: check out this tumblr, which seeks to point out racism within HEMA.

https://swordsofthewhiterose.tumblr.com/

Once people (read: racists) found out this blog exists, they got super butt hurt and obviously this means that liberals are the real nazis?
Yeah, that's where I saw the post originally.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

KyloWinter posted:

So Konsmo is a racist? Unfortunate.

From what I've gathered it's not strictly racism, but strongly nationalist and the racism that comes inherently with that. "Separate but equal (but also white blonde haired blue eyed people are superior)" kinda stuff. Call it out and you're labeled a social justice warrior or you're trying to police thought, and whatever thread it's in turns into a circle jerk of the same handful of people bitching about liberals ruining their country (but not as bad as the roving hordes of immigrants you see).

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

"Oh that's not really a discussion I've ever s–" *opens the HEMA International Discussion FB page* "–well gently caress."

Since I haven't been training for a couple of weeks, I've been living vicariously through blogs and Facebook posts, but, well, yeah. It's working out poorly as you can see. What are you guys up to?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Trying to ease myself back into slightly more intense stuff after getting a nasty bit of runner's knee in my front leg (hey everyone, correct posture and lunge technique is SUPER IMPORTANT for not murdering yourself). And attempting to improve a little in all three weapons - progress is slow, but gently caress it, I'm not willing to give any up since they're all fun.
On that note, what do you do in sabre if you're attacking with a low hand position, versus someone trying to counterattack with a flicky high-hand-position downwards cut over your guard on to the top of your wrist/forearm? Like, is there some way I can adjust my guard to block these out reliably, or is this a case of needing to draw it out first before I can deal with it? (or since I have priority, just lunge further, push through and hope I don't get timed out)

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Part 1 of a series of cutting swords for HEMA has been released. Check it out! http://youtu.be/VdrZ1N6GBMk

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You guys produce some of the slickest videos out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Is there a reason for the badly underexposed cross-processed look?
His cutting looks good, though. Far better than any of the other HEMA cutting I've seen.