Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Propaganda Machine posted:

A random youtube foray led me to Gemma's death scene, and I don't know why I didn't notice it on the first watch, but her last words are the laziest, worst-looking composite shot imaginable. gently caress you, Kurt Sutter, you don't need to use a lovely green screen, because there is absolutely zero dramatic or artistic value in having both Jax and Gemma perfectly in focus for that.
I dont know what youre talking about bro it looks great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

A random youtube foray led me to Gemma's death scene, and I don't know why I didn't notice it on the first watch, but her last words are the laziest, worst-looking composite shot imaginable. gently caress you, Kurt Sutter, you don't need to use a lovely green screen, because there is absolutely zero dramatic or artistic value in having both Jax and Gemma perfectly in focus for that.

I did not notice that but wow yeah that's like symbolic of the entire last season. Lazily cut together because who the gently caress knows why.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I did not notice that but wow yeah that's like symbolic of the entire last season. Lazily cut together because who the gently caress knows why.

That's probably one of the most brilliant things Sutter has ever done, and it was completely intentional.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
CHIBS NOOOOOOO :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq9j1qkj2Vc

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Wait Korn is still an active band? Who knew?

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Wait Korn is still an active band? Who knew?

I'm gonna be a hundred percent honest, for the longest time I thought they were just a fake band made up for a South Park episode.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

JaddaCaddra posted:

I'm gonna be a hundred percent honest, for the longest time I thought they were just a fake band made up for a South Park episode.

Other than maybe missing out on the freak on a leash video which blew my 12ish year old mind, you were probably way better off.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Schiavona posted:

Other than maybe missing out on the freak on a leash video which blew my 12ish year old mind, you were probably way better off.

Yeah, I've heard almost nothing but terrible things. I do like the song played in that episode, though I can't really tell how much of it is me liking the music and how much is being entertained by the South Park association.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, I really really REALLY miss the old Dexter threads, but I have a feeling that the majority of you subscribed to this thread were also subscribed to those, so I can think of no better place to post this:

http://www.moviefone.com/2016/08/24/dexter-marks-10th-anniversary-with-marathon-new-trailer/

Showtime are doing a MARATHON of the TOP TEN EPISODES as voted by fans, to celebrate 10 years since the show first aired.

Why not make it the top 12 or 13, and just replay season 4 and be done with it? I swear to god, if any of the 'top 10' episodes are from anything after S5E1, I'll... well, I'll do nothing but bitch even more about this show :argh:

Seriously, though, why choose 10 episodes of a serialized show? Each episode's plot DEPENDS ON ANOTHER EPISODE'S PLOT. That's how serialized shows work. Jesus, who thought this 'marathon' up, Scott Buck? :psyduck:

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, I really really REALLY miss the old Dexter threads, but I have a feeling that the majority of you subscribed to this thread were also subscribed to those, so I can think of no better place to post this:

http://www.moviefone.com/2016/08/24/dexter-marks-10th-anniversary-with-marathon-new-trailer/

Showtime are doing a MARATHON of the TOP TEN EPISODES as voted by fans, to celebrate 10 years since the show first aired.

Why not make it the top 12 or 13, and just replay season 4 and be done with it? I swear to god, if any of the 'top 10' episodes are from anything after S5E1, I'll... well, I'll do nothing but bitch even more about this show :argh:

Seriously, though, why choose 10 episodes of a serialized show? Each episode's plot DEPENDS ON ANOTHER EPISODE'S PLOT. That's how serialized shows work. Jesus, who thought this 'marathon' up, Scott Buck? :psyduck:

Well, past season two the plots more or less followed a formula of "Start main plot in episode one and occasionally reference it throughout the series of stand alone episodes until the last few where it takes a forefront again." I think the only seasons that had the plot consistently at the center of the action were the first and second, with the fourth and seventh having it to a point. That being said though, I bet most of the episodes will either be premieres or finales. I hope to God none of them are from season eight.

But yeah, you're right, it's pretty stupid to have a top ten of a show that isn't completely stand alone. If they're going to celebrate the ten year anniversary of the show, why don't they just marathon the entire series over a weekend or something? That makes way more sense... Oh, that's why they didn't go with it. I get it, it's a meta joke on how stupid the show got!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
TVIV should just have a "Three Good Seasons Followed By A Dumpster Fire" thread.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

TVIV should just have a "Three Good Seasons Followed By A Dumpster Fire" thread.

I think with SOA and Dexter it's more along the lines of two good seasons, a meh one, a great one, a very shaky one, and then "oh dear God, what are you even doing?" for the remaining seasons, with a few good episodes and moments sprinkled in. And comic spinoffs that are good but not really that memorable.

I know its been brought up a lot, but it's amazing how similar these two shows are in that regard. They both started off good (1-2), suffered a hiccup along the way but nothing major (3), then came back really strong (4) and promptly lost balance (5) before finally hitting the ground, and hard (the rest of the seasons). It's also depressing in how easy those last few bad seasons could have been averted if they had just done something instead of doing nothing. I mean, I doubt the endings would have been very memorable but they would have at least been good and entertaining. Instead they did nothing and we ended up with boring television in Dexter's case and silly plots in SOA's.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I'm trying to recall season four of SoA. I'll have to take your word on that one. But yeah, I always drew parallels between Dexter and SoA (I believe I'd mentioned them in some of my recaps).

I think Dexter's highs and troughs were greater than SoA's. I which I suppose would say that SoA was more consistent (if only you could only see my wince as I type that), relatively speaking, of course.

SoA had the stronger principal cast, but I think Dexter had the better (:ughh:) writing. Really, I can't think of any two shows that were wholly independent of each other but had so much in common.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ghostpilot posted:

I'm trying to recall season four of SoA. I'll have to take your word on that one. But yeah, I always drew parallels between Dexter and SoA (I believe I'd mentioned them in some of my recaps).

I have a problem, and that is that when I start to hatewatch a show, I remember every loving detail about it, despite not really wanting to.

While I didn't hate the show by this point, Season 4 started off with the guys getting out of jail (remember, s3 ended with Stahl getting shot, and Jimmy getting stabbed by Chibs, on the side of the highway), and at Opie's wedding, they mow down all of the russians. And then Lincoln Potter starts his RICO case, with Ronnie from The Shield behind a desk, barely saying anything, and Danny Trejo with David Aceveda (again, from the Shield), pretending to be part of a cartel, but really, they're working with the feds on the RICO thing.

It was when Juice was being squeezed (:smug:) for his black heritage, and that turned out NOT TO MATTER AT ALL, and people died as a result of his futile attempt to cover it up. Then there was more poo poo about 'the lettuhs!', Piney gets killed by Clay, Opie goes berzerk, runs over Damon Pope's daughter, and poo poo is set up to be WHOOOAAAAA crazy for season 5, and next to nothing happens that really matters after that.

This has been your SoA moment, brought to you by someone who should be working, jesus christ what am I doing?! :negative:

EDIT: Just once, I'd love for some miscommunication to occur in one of these 'protagonists are the bad guys and drugs are involved' shows, where a RICO case gets mistaken for RICOH, and it's a huge comedy of errors where people end up chasing a mysterious package that ends up being a loving printer/fax machine.

:allears:

EDIT 2:

Clay: We can't let Jax get a hold of the lettuhs, Gem.
Gemma: We have the only copy. Wait, what's that sound?

*breeerzp* breeerzp*

We see Jax standing at a photocopier, printing out 12 copies of the letters, when it jams..

Jax: What the hell is this, bro?! I gotta BEEF with this machine! PC load letter? That's it; I'm getting to the bottom of this.
Chibbs: Jackie boy, don't worry, just open the tray and clear the paper out, you'll be fine, laddie.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 1, 2016

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Ghostpilot posted:

I think Dexter's highs and troughs were greater than SoA's. I which I suppose would say that SoA was more consistent (if only you could only see my wince as I type that), relatively speaking, of course.

SoA had the stronger principal cast, but I think Dexter had the better (:ughh:) writing. Really, I can't think of any two shows that were wholly independent of each other but had so much in common.

Season four was the one with the cartel plot that seemed really interesting but later ended up going nowhere. I just feel like the writing that year was at its strongest, even though it did lead to some pretty dumb things (Juice being so worried that he's half black, the CIA cartel).

I'm not sure if I can agree that Dexter's highs were greater, but I will definitely agree on the lows being worse. I might be alone on this, but I actually did enjoy season seven of SOA. The writing was lackluster and silly a lot of times, but it was still entertaining in the same way an action movie is. Dexter's final season was that bad combination of stupid and boring. Plus the last few episodes of SOA had some sense of urgency and finality to them, even if they did occasionally get sidetracked by less important plots. Dexter didn't have a sense of finality until about the last five minutes. Plus at least SOA had the decency to kill off the woman lead that helped ruin that show (I actually meant that as a joke, but I'm about half serious too, haha).

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

I always thought season 5 of SoA was generally interesting enough because Pope was a solid villain with an insane intro (burning Tig's daughter alive since he ran Pope's daughter over), but even watching episodes back to back on Netflix where you don't have time to think about how awful the writing is, everything still seems drawn out for no reason and Clay/Gemma living as long as they did is incredibly frustrating.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Almost any "good" channel 4 show from the UK follows the good -good-erm okay....- :cripes: pattern. Think Misfits and Downton Abbey. There's a lot of meh show writers who have no idea what they got right initially (see also, the Wachowski sisters).

Gemma was a drat shame. Katey Segal is a wonderful actress, and her husband did her a major disservice with that character.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Schiavona posted:

I always thought season 5 of SoA was generally interesting enough because Pope was a solid villain with an insane intro (burning Tig's daughter alive since he ran Pope's daughter over), but even watching episodes back to back on Netflix where you don't have time to think about how awful the writing is, everything still seems drawn out for no reason and Clay/Gemma living as long as they did is incredibly frustrating.

I found they greatly mishandled Pope. Great at first, especially with the that end of season 4 build up. At the end of season 5, it was just all bullshit that didn't matter. Sutter thought he was just SOOOOOO complex, and his plots were intricate.

No. Kurt, this isn't the Wire. You wanted it to be, and failed miserably.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I found they greatly mishandled Pope. Great at first, especially with the that end of season 4 build up. At the end of season 5, it was just all bullshit that didn't matter. Sutter thought he was just SOOOOOO complex, and his plots were intricate.

No. Kurt, this isn't the Wire. You wanted it to be, and failed miserably.

I agree with this assessment. Honestly, the build up about Pope was one of the great moments of the kinda shaky season four finale. Then the beginning of season five presented us this awesome villain who... Yeah, just kinda disappeared after about three episodes. Then returned for the last few to get outsmarted by Jax. Coincidentally, that's also the last time one of Jax's betrayal plots was cool and somewhat surprising, at least in my opinion.

As much as the stuff with Pope sucked, it wouldn't have been so bad if it hadn't happened again. Toric was basically an exact rehashing of that situation. Tons of buildup to this cool character who seems like he'll be a big threat to the club. Then he's unceremoniously offed before he can do anything all that major. I mean, they both succeeded in causing a major character to be killed off, but even those were kinda underwhelming in hindsight. Opie dying was one of those moments that hit me really hard at first, and I still think it's a powerful scene, but the more I think on it the more I realize Opie kinda ceased to matter past about the midway point of the second season. He was just so well acted and a very likable character that it was kind of hard to notice at first, for me at least. It really shows that they planned to kill him at the end of season one and have Donna run off with the kids.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

JaddaCaddra posted:

Season four was the one with the cartel plot that seemed really interesting but later ended up going nowhere. I just feel like the writing that year was at its strongest, even though it did lead to some pretty dumb things (Juice being so worried that he's half black, the CIA cartel).

Aww man, I remember this stuff now. Seasons 4 & 5 of SoA tend to blend together for me. I legitimately can't think of any other writer on any other show that wrote so many plotlines that went nowhere.

Someone had said that Sutter was one of the best idea men in the business. It worked when he had other (better) writers to flesh out the idea and rein him in(e.g. the Shield). But when he was showrunner and lead writer with no one to check him, you could see so many ideas come along and just fizzle out.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

If anybody sees this, lemme know if he browalks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4luDtkC3Oy0

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Ghostpilot posted:

Aww man, I remember this stuff now. Seasons 4 & 5 of SoA tend to blend together for me. I legitimately can't think of any other writer on any other show that wrote so many plotlines that went nowhere.

Someone had said that Sutter was one of the best idea men in the business. It worked when he had other (better) writers to flesh out the idea and rein him in(e.g. the Shield). But when he was showrunner and lead writer with no one to check him, you could see so many ideas come along and just fizzle out.

What makes it worse is they really did fizzle out, like you said, instead of just being dropped. They lingered and lingered just to give us some sense of false hope, then they finally just stopped being mentioned or were resolved in another run of the mill shoot out. If they were just dropped then you could at least laugh about it, like what happened with that Russian dude in The Sopranos. The alternative is just sad because it makes you think way too much about what could have been.

On the topic of being a good idea guy, I bet if Sutter was an author he'd be one of those types that releases a couple of really good books, then fires his editor and starts releasing manuscripts with thousands of pages of nothing important.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

JaddaCaddra posted:

On the topic of being a good idea guy, I bet if Sutter was an author he'd be one of those types that releases a couple of really good books, then fires his editor and starts releasing manuscripts with thousands of pages of nothing important.

Then he'd pull an Anne Rice and start yelling at readers in the Amazon review sections.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Pixelante posted:

Then he'd pull an Anne Rice and start yelling at readers in the Amazon review sections.

I've never heard of this, but it sounds hilarious. And he totally would.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

JaddaCaddra posted:

He realized that yelling at people Twitter would get him higher ratings:

Ghostpilot posted:

^^^ :stare: That warrants being saved for posterity.

Just in case someone at FX witnesses that tweet in abject horror and forces meekly requests that he remove it.

Gotta admire the efficiency of Sutter reminding everyone of how much of a piece of poo poo he is in under 140 characters.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

JaddaCaddra posted:

As much as the stuff with Pope sucked, it wouldn't have been so bad if it hadn't happened again. Toric was basically an exact rehashing of that situation. Tons of buildup to this cool character who seems like he'll be a big threat to the club. Then he's unceremoniously offed before he can do anything all that major.

Pretty sure in Toric's case they'd planned for him to have a bigger role but Donal Logue got cast in something else so they had to write him out at the last minute. A similar thing happened in one of the later seasons of Justified where it seemed like they were just spinning their wheels.

Then there was the hilarious cgi Livia Soprano because Nancy Marchand died between seasons.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I love that the actors from Entourage are worth more (if not equal) than Kurt Sutter.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ghostpilot posted:

If anybody sees this, lemme know if he browalks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4luDtkC3Oy0

Can you browalk in chain mail?

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

JaddaCaddra posted:

Too good to not share. (Bolding mine.) You can also google variations on "Anne Rice meltdown."

quote:

Seldom do I really answer those who criticize my work. In fact, the entire development of my career has been fueled by my ability to ignore denigrating and trivializing criticism as I realize my dreams and my goals. However there is something compelling about Amazon’s willingness to publish just about anything, and the sheer outrageous stupidity of many things you’ve said here that actually touches my proletarian and Democratic soul. Also I use and enjoy Amazon and I do read the reviews of other people’s books in many fields. In sum, I believe in what happens here. And so, I speak. First off, let me say that this is addressed only to some of you, who have posted outrageously negative comments here, and not to all. You are interrogating this text from the wrong perspective. Indeed, you aren’t even reading it. You are projecting your own limitations on it. And you are giving a whole new meaning to the words “wide readership.” And you have strained my Dickensean principles to the max. I’m justifiably proud of being read by intellectual giants and waitresses in trailer parks,in fact, I love it, but who in the world are you? Now to the book. Allow me to point out: nowhere in this text are you told that this is the last of the chronicles, nowhere are you promised curtain calls or a finale, nowhere are you told there will be a wrap-up of all the earlier material. The text tells you exactly what to expect. And it warns you specifically that if you did not enjoy Memnoch the Devil, you may not enjoy this book. This book is by and about a hero whom many of you have already rejected. And he tells you that you are likely to reject him again. And this book is most certainly written — every word of it — by me. If and when I can’t write a book on my own, you’ll know about it. And no, I have no intention of allowing any editor ever to distort, cut, or otherwise mutilate sentences that I have edited and re-edited, and organized and polished myself. I fought a great battle to achieve a status where I did not have to put up with editors making demands on me, and I will never relinquish that status. For me, novel writing is a virtuoso performance. It is not a collaborative art. Back to the novel itself: the character who tells the tale is my Lestat. I was with him more closely than I have ever been in this novel; his voice was as powerful for me as I’ve ever heard it. I experienced break through after break through as I walked with him, moved with him, saw through his eyes. What I ask of Lestat, Lestat unfailingly gives. For me, three hunting scenes, two which take place in hotels — the lone woman waiting for the hit man, the slaughter at the pimp’s party — and the late night foray into the slums –stand with any similar scenes in all of the chronicles. They can be read aloud without a single hitch. Every word is in perfect place. The short chapter in which Lestat describes his love for Rowan Mayfair was for me a totally realized poem. There are other such scenes in this book. You don’t get all this? Fine. But I experienced an intimacy with the character in those scenes that shattered all prior restraints, and when one is writing one does have to continuously and courageously fight a destructive tendency to inhibition and restraint. Getting really close to the subject matter is the achievement of only great art. Now, if it doesn’t appeal to you, fine. You don’t enjoy it? Read somebody else. But your stupid arrogant assumptions about me and what I am doing are slander. And you have used this site as if it were a public urinal to publish falsehood and lies. I’ll never challenge your democratic freedom to do so, and yes, I’m answering you, but for what it’s worth, be assured of the utter contempt I feel for you, especially those of you who post anonymously (and perhaps repeatedly?) and how glad I am that this book is the last one in a series that has invited your hateful and ugly responses. Now, to return to the narrative in question: Lestat’s wanting to be a saint is a vision larded through and through with his characteristic vanity. It connects perfectly with his earlier ambitions to be an actor in Paris, a rock star in the modern age. If you can’t see that, you aren’t reading my work. In his conversation with the Pope he makes observations on the times which are in continuity with his observations on the late twentieth century in The Vampire Lestat, and in continuity with Marius’ observations in that book and later in Queen of the Damned. The state of the world has always been an important theme in the chronicles. Lestat’s comments matter. Every word he speaks is part of the achievement of this book. That Lestat renounced this saintly ambition within a matter of pages is plain enough for you to see. That he reverts to his old self is obvious, and that he intends to complete the tale of Blackwood Farm is also quite clear. There are many other themes and patterns in this work that I might mention — the interplay between St.Juan Diago and Lestat, the invisible creature who doesn’t “exist” in the eyes of the world is a case in point. There is also the theme of the snare of Blackwood Farm, the place where a human existence becomes so beguiling that Lestat relinquishes his power as if to a spell. The entire relationship between Lestat and Uncle Julien is carefully worked out. But I leave it to readers to discover how this complex and intricate novel establishes itself within a unique, if not unrivalled series of book. There are things to be said. And there is pleasure to be had. And readers will say wonderful things about Blood Canticle and they already are. There are readers out there and plenty of them who cherish the individuality of each of the chronicles which you so flippantly condemn. They can and do talk circles around you. And I am warmed by their response. Their letters, the papers they write in school, our face to face exchanges on the road — these things sustain me when I read the utter trash that you post. But I feel I have said enough. If this reaches one reader who is curious about my work and shocked by the ugly reviews here, I’ve served my goals. And Yo, you dude, the slang police! Lestat talks like I do. He always has and he always will. You really wouldn’t much like being around either one of us. And you don’t have to be. If any of you want to say anything about all this by all means Email me at Anneobrienrice@mac.com. And if you want your money back for the book, send it to 1239 First Street, New Orleans, La, 70130. I’m not a coward about my real name or where I live. And yes, the Chronicles are no more! Thank God!

Sutter's meltdown would use a different thesaurus, but probably be about the same. In Anne's defense, I think this wasn't long after her husband's death. She was probably in a legit crazy place, mentally.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 4, 2016

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

William F Cuckley posted:

Pretty sure in Toric's case they'd planned for him to have a bigger role but Donal Logue got cast in something else so they had to write him out at the last minute.

That something else was the infinitely better and more respectable Vikings.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Pixelante posted:

Sutter's meltdown would use a different thesaurus

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rogers-Profanisaurus-Rex-Ultimate-Dictionary/dp/0752228129

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

The author of that book thinks boobs and bra are rude words. I suspect he'd faint if confronted with a tweet about using the vagina of a decomposing corpse.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Not to defend the shot, because it definitely looks like poo poo, but it was actually done in-camera using what's called a split diopter. It's a lens attachment that allows you to focus on both near and far objects simultaneously.

It can either be really subtle or really stand out.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Today I learned! That's actually really cool.

That said though, looking at the shot, are you sure that's what they were doing? It's been a minute, but when I was watching it, Gemma and Jax definitely looked very...disconnected, if I may. I barely know the first thing about film and photography, so I'm hesitant to criticize, but it had a more amateur-hour tone than the stuff you linked.

Cool poo poo one way or the other.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Ghostpilot posted:

He realized that yelling at people Twitter would get him higher ratings:

Hah! I had forgotten that. Keepin' it classy, Sutter.

William F Cuckley posted:

Pretty sure in Toric's case they'd planned for him to have a bigger role but Donal Logue got cast in something else so they had to write him out at the last minute. A similar thing happened in one of the later seasons of Justified where it seemed like they were just spinning their wheels.

Then there was the hilarious cgi Livia Soprano because Nancy Marchand died between seasons.

Yeah, they did. According to the season six commentary (from what I can remember) they were going to have him be the main antagonist for the last two seasons. He was supposed to have some kind of condition to explain those shakes he had and was also going to go on the run for the last season, if I remember right. I probably should have mentioned that somewhere. It doesn't make it any less annoying but it does at least give a reason for it happening the second time. Now that I think about it, that may be why the last two seasons were so lacking. The writing team had a story in mind but it ended up they couldn't do it, but they were already renewed for two more seasons, so they just slapped something together and called it a day. Same thing that happened with Dexter, or I've always thought so anyways.

I remember the Justified example. I think it was in this very thread I found out about the reason behind that character's sudden departure. And hah, CGI Livia was the best. I was amazed to find out the original plan was to have her be there throughout the entire show. Season three ended up being kinda shaky due to her death but everything past that was pretty darn good.

I need to get back to watching TV and writing.

Darkness5780
Apr 22, 2010
Can someone help me with a quote from Jax from one of the later season episodes?

Something along the lines of 'I'm tired of spending today, fixing the problems I made yesterday.'

The exact quote with a season and episode for it would be appreciated.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Darkness5780 posted:

Can someone help me with a quote from Jax from one of the later season episodes?

Something along the lines of 'I'm tired of spending today, fixing the problems I made yesterday.'

The exact quote with a season and episode for it would be appreciated.

That would be Season 5, Episode 5, "Orca Shrugged."

"It's hard not to hate. People, things, institutions. When they break your spirit and take pleasure in watching you bleed... hate is the only feeling that makes sense. But I know what hate does to a man. Tears him apart. Turns him into something he's not. Something he promised himself he'd never become. That's what I need to tell you. To let you know how hard I'm trying not to cave under the weight of all the awful things I feel in my heart. Impulsive reactions racing to solutions, miles ahead of my brain. When I look at my day, I realize that most of it was spent cleaning up the damage of the day before. In that life, I have no future. All I have is distraction and remorse. I buried my best friend three days ago, and as cliché as this sounds, I left a part of me in that box. A part I barely knew. A part I'll never see again. Every day is a new box, boys. You open it, you take a look at what's inside. You're the one who determines if it's a gift or a coffin."

Probably one of my favorite quotes in the whole series.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Please don't go get that tattooed anywhere

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ghostpilot posted:

First I've heard of this and holy gently caress, man! :stonk:

That'll make any reunions awkward.

I wonder if Shawn Ryan's take on it was similar to Kurt's when hearing what happened to Half-Sack in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Schiavona posted:

Please don't go get that tattooed anywhere

Lord no. I don't like it THAT much :P Can't speak for the other guy though, haha.

• Locked thread