Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azazello
Dec 26, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Russian spotted.

I'm part both, actually.

Content: where do I put spaceflight insanity? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BgJEXQkjNQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

slidebite posted:

That sort of seems redundant to check in online then if you still need to check in a second time with an agent doesn't it?

Some people fly without bags; if they check in online and print (or phone scan) their boarding pass, they skip the check in line.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

azazello posted:

Content: where do I put spaceflight insanity?

Spaceflight insanity goes in the spaceflight thread!

azazello
Dec 26, 2008

Luneshot posted:

Spaceflight insanity goes in the spaceflight thread!

It's under Ask/Tell? No wonder I never found it. Thanks for the pointer.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

bull3964 posted:

Who prints a boarding pass anymore?
Me. Because:

Linedance posted:

the reader always fucks up reading off the phone screen, or the assorted people touch something and close the window, it's a pain getting your phone out and bringing up the boarding pass at check in, at the security line, at the x-ray, at the lounge (if applicable), at the gate, at the aircraft door etc etc etc.
plus when I'm traveling my phone battery is always at a premium (because sprint has garbage coverage and the phone freaks out looking for 3g/LTE towers and flipping back and forth between them).

Paper pass 4 life.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Duke Chin posted:

Me. Because:

plus when I'm traveling my phone battery is always at a premium (because sprint has garbage coverage and the phone freaks out looking for 3g/LTE towers and flipping back and forth between them).

Paper pass 4 life.

Me too, because I really don't want to depend on my phone for my tickets.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Never really had an issue here. It's always 'just worked' for me.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

slidebite posted:

That sort of seems redundant to check in online then if you still need to check in a second time with an agent doesn't it?

There isn’t much a reason to check‐in online if you have to check bags, no.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Platystemon posted:

Yeah, that's sort of what I am thinking. Thanks.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

bull3964 posted:

Never really had an issue here. It's always 'just worked' for me.

I, personally, me, duke goddamn chin, has never had an issue with it I just don't want to fumble around with my phone, put in my password, get the screen sized right, hope the screen stays on before timing out, churning churning battery while waiting for grandpappy in front of me to unfuck himself trying to get through ticketing.

Just slap a piece of paper up there, [BEEP], then wait for the family of 15 screaming children to get all of their 1 billion carry on bags up in the overhead bins while I try to shuffle-by back into steerage class to attempt to fall asleep with the rest of the grumpy poors. :v:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I had a cracked screen for a while, so I doubt that would've scanned well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Eh, that sounds like an over complication to me. I just leave the app open and when it comes my turn in line I just unlock and scan (no messing with screen size or anything.) I'm usually using my phone to kill time in line anyways so it's active.

By that point in security, my phone and ID are the only things on my person. After that, I just drop my phone into my carryon before I load it up on the belt for the scanner. There really isn't any extra messing around or juggling things.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Here in EUland you just hand over your passport at the desk if there's no previously printed pass and the flight goes beyond shengen??

Same goes for the other way round.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Test flight today, flying an airspeed calibration course. We set up a weather balloon at 140', file a NOTAM and everything, the local airfield sticks a warning about the balloon on their weather broadcast, and so on.

On *three separate times*, local cops pulled up to the remote weather station because they thought the balloon was a distress message. Because everyone carries about a bunch of square yards of rubber and about 4 big helium tanks in case they have to put their Piper down in the desert.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I discovered Alaska Airlines QR codes are based on seat number, not person. Having the QR code from your old seat assignment causes problems. :(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Koesj posted:

Here in EUland you just hand over your passport at the desk if there's no previously printed pass and the flight goes beyond shengen??

Same goes for the other way round.

Most Americans probably don't even have a passport. Aside from my military-issue passport, I haven't had one in over twenty years (until a few months ago).

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I've actually had pretty good experiences checking in with American using their app. It gives you updated information on every leg of your flight (arrival/departure gates and layover times), tracks your checked luggage, and the boarding pass function actually worked pretty well. Checking in early can give you a better boarding group, which is cool I guess if you're trying to find room in the overhead bins for a huge carry-on bag. Last time I flew, I just walked straight to the counter and asked them to check my bag, which I normally have to do anyway to get the military discount. It saved a decent amount of time waiting for and messing around at a ticket kiosk.

Early check in is also really good for Southwest since it gets you better seating priority.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
dude, never not check in immediately at 12:00.01am with Southwest.

Oh, also I haven't had opportunity or reason to state it lately but as a reminder: gently caress United.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
It used to be that boarding groups worked on the honour system, but scanning tickets at the jetway put an end to that.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Unless you're on Westjet and you didn't pay the extra for preassigned seats because you're cheap, but you also don't want to be the dipshit that just shows up at the airport and is all like "but what do you mean the only two unclaimed seats remaining are twelve rows apart and both middle seats, I don't care, I want to sit with my wife"

Then you check in online

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I was so stunned and tired when I was at the airport on Tuesday that I stuck my baggage tag to itself without attaching it in any way to the suitcase. Luckily, the airline person noticed I was being an idiot and saved me from myself.

Regarding online checkin, apparently on Air Canada you can't get an upgrade after you complete check-in unless you complete the five Herculean labours, which must all be done in person at the airport. I'm not sure why I didn't get offered a paid upgrade during checkin since there's still business class seats available on my flight and I'm more than willing to pay.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

PT6A posted:

I was so stunned and tired when I was at the airport on Tuesday that I stuck my baggage tag to itself without attaching it in any way to the suitcase. Luckily, the airline person noticed I was being an idiot and saved me from myself.

Regarding online checkin, apparently on Air Canada you can't get an upgrade after you complete check-in unless you complete the five Herculean labours, which must all be done in person at the airport. I'm not sure why I didn't get offered a paid upgrade during checkin since there's still business class seats available on my flight and I'm more than willing to pay.

Everything at AC is on a strict priority list, because the super elites kick off big time if anyone deigns to step in front of them. So they probably can't offer at online check in in case someone ahead of where you are on the list wants to upgrade too. That said, I've seen people (don't know their status) waltz up to the gate, credit card in hand, and pay for an upgrade right there. That's probably the most direct of the labours, but you might need to be a big mucky-muck to pull it off.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Platystemon posted:

They are two different things though. Checking in says "hello I am still here, I still intend to travel on the flight, please call me on the PA if I'm late". Checking bags is registering the number and weight of your bags, plus attaching a tracking number, plus actually delivering them.

In theory you could do the weight and print a barcode yourself but holy lol people would cheat and gently caress up.

Also joining the paper ticket crew. Faster and more reliable than the phone. Card swipe can be faster, particularly if card swipers have their own queue, but I haven't seen that in a while.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I use the phone/watch boarding pass as a backup, as it's possible I could misplace a flimsy bit of paper.

Remember when boarding passes used to be printed on something stiffer than thermal paper? What a time that was!

Edit: Air Canada wanted $1700 for a business class upgrade YYZ-YYC. I paid $200 less than that for BA Club World from Heathrow to YYC for the full fare, not an upgrade from economy, they must be out of their loving minds.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 3, 2016

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

From a WW2 handbook for the volunteer 'home guard' in Australia; which someone on reddit uploaded: http://imgur.com/a/K3Wvc

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

PT6A posted:

I use the phone/watch boarding pass as a backup, as it's possible I could misplace a flimsy bit of paper.

Remember when boarding passes used to be printed on something stiffer than thermal paper? What a time that was!

Edit: Air Canada wanted $1700 for a business class upgrade YYZ-YYC. I paid $200 less than that for BA Club World from Heathrow to YYC for the full fare, not an upgrade from economy, they must be out of their loving minds.

No they ain't, because that's a loving cash cow route for business class, even with the oil slump. It almost never goes with empty seats up front.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Also who else are the mucky mucks gonna fly on? Westjet with all the plebes? gently caress that!

Gonna be flying YVR to BOS next month, no direct flights dammit :(

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

screenshot phone pass is the real life hack btw

really though, after the one time the delta app crashed like 2 people from the gate, i just print it out

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Linedance posted:

No they ain't, because that's a loving cash cow route for business class, even with the oil slump. It almost never goes with empty seats up front.

Yeah it was indeed 100% full. Obviously CanPol is wrong about me being out-of-touch rich if folks are paying $2000 each way for AC domestic business class. Although I suppose I could afford it, I can't abide the thought of paying that much money for business class on a 4 hour flight.

At least I have an aisle seat so I can get up and walk around as the doctor advised. Probably better for me than a business class window seat.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

PT6A posted:

Yeah it was indeed 100% full. Obviously CanPol is wrong about me being out-of-touch rich if folks are paying $2000 each way for AC domestic business class. Although I suppose I could afford it, I can't abide the thought of paying that much money for business class on a 4 hour flight.

At least I have an aisle seat so I can get up and walk around as the doctor advised. Probably better for me than a business class window seat.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/lloydminster-ab/2015-gmc-sierra-3500hd-denali-wow-loads-of-accessories-custom/1175224888

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

They're all moaning about their constant poverty and how Notley has murdered their puppy, so I didn't expect they'd blow that amount of money on an upgrade like cocaine-addled halfwits. No wonder none of them have any money anymore.

Edit: so business class costs more than a month's rent and yet the most premium wine they serve is $8.50 for a 8 oz. pour, at airline markups. Apparently everyone is either dirt poor or fabulously rich. Ridiculous... But I'll stop derailing the thread now.

In more interesting news, I saw a few CF-18s do low-level fly-bys at YYZ while I was waiting. Nifty, but I didn't get any photos unfortunately.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 3, 2016

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

so loving future posted:

screenshot phone pass is the real life hack btw
This. Just SShot it instead of running the app. I still do printout because I end up at the loving desk more times than not when traveling out of shengen (please check it at the kiosk, then kiosk would actually prefer you to see a human, and I've got checked luggage anyway).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The only airline I've seen that doesn't use Wallet/passbook/whatever it's called, is Air Europa*. Wallet works great and the pass is always displayed on the lock screen. There are plenty of Android apps that can handle passbook-format too.

* The custom app is poo poo. Is it some kind of SkyTeam thing or just a coincidence?

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
I've never had any issues with a digital pass (United through Apple Wallet). For a few years, I was doing 8-10 flights a month too. I hate carrying extra paper of any kind in my pockets so I have even more reason not to print em out.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

There should be a way in which baggage receipts can be sent to a mobile device, too. Yesterday, Air Canada gave me a piece of paper with the sticky baggage claim tag attached to it -- it wasn't even a duplicate boarding pass, even though it easily could've been. I don't know why that part of the system hasn't been improved.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

PT6A posted:

There should be a way in which baggage receipts can be sent to a mobile device, too. Yesterday, Air Canada gave me a piece of paper with the sticky baggage claim tag attached to it -- it wasn't even a duplicate boarding pass, even though it easily could've been. I don't know why that part of the system hasn't been improved.
It's not integrated into iOS like boarding passes are, but American's app incorporates baggage receipts.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

standard.deviant posted:

It's not integrated into iOS like boarding passes are, but American's app incorporates baggage receipts.

I should've figured some airline had eventually figured it out. Hopefully more do so soon.

Frankly, I don't see the need to have them at all, except in cases where you need to track lost luggage, so as long as it gets recorded electronically somewhere and associated with my name, I don't care. I know my suitcase is my suitcase because it has my suitcase's identifying marks, my suitcase's three digit locking code, and at least one (usually two, in case one gets detached) distinctive tag with my home address (which matches up to my government ID, for verification purposes) and my contact information while I'm travelling, written in my handwriting. A tiny six-digit number on a baggage tag is, by comparison, very difficult for me to verify.

Furthermore, I don't want the baggage claim tag to be considered evidence that a suitcase belongs to someone, since that tag can be so easily dropped and picked up by anyone else anyway.

Speaking of baggage handling, are there any airlines that offer free checked luggage but charge for bin space? I think that would work so much better, since boarding and de-boarding would take a fraction of the time if people didn't attempt to take their entire collection of worldly possessions with them as cabin baggage. I'm guessing fewer than one in ten of those loving roller bags actually fit in the sizing device properly, either.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
This is my new favorite altitude warning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbtATTZ93Lw&t=20s

marumaru
May 20, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

This is my new favorite altitude warning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbtATTZ93Lw&t=20s

if you hear that your instinctual reaction would be to do the exact opposite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Inacio posted:

if you hear that your instinctual reaction would be to do the exact opposite

I think the music is trash, but I am such a sucker for people making a tire screech sound with their mouths. I don't know why, but I think it's one of the funniest sounds out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9P8FzF6d5s&t=45s