Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

This just reminds me how little I cared there wasn't a real Sonic CD level in Generations, then I played Sonic CD and thought gently caress this game direly needs a modern remake.

Although maybe tone down wacky workbench just a touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I've always been kinda hard on SA2 and started replaying it recently and felt like I'd been kinda unfair. In fact it was pretty amazing and I really started to regret ragging on it in the past.

Then I finished City Escape and remembered the rest of the game was there and went back to realizing it's pretty lovely most of the time. Sonic and Shadow levels are (mostly) fun though nothing tops city escape, but the Knuckles and Tails poo poo is just hot garbage and makes up the majority of the game and I was only barely able to bring myself to keep at it just hoping the next stage would be fast again.

City Escape is fantastic though. Amazing opening level. Almost false advertising

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
yeah the reason people think SA2 was good is because the first level is good, the chaos are good, and you can replay the sonic/shadow levels for chao stuff and forget about the rest

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

Agent Escalus posted:

...but I don't have that version of the game, hence why I was asking how it compares to the Wii one

PS3 version has a full set of levels in Mazuri and an extra set of levels to play in Empire City compared to the Wii version. It doesn't have the Gaia Gate puzzle rooms. It does have Sonic Adventure/Sonic 2006-ish wandering around hubs for the next cutscene as well as small tasks you can do for npcs. PS3 version has a greater focus on collecting sun and moon medals to progress versus the Wii version only locking off puzzle rooms with medals.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Kashuno posted:

yeah the reason people think SA2 was good is because the first level is good, the chaos are good, and you can replay the sonic/shadow levels for chao stuff and forget about the rest

its good because i've played through the entire game multiple times and it never stops being fun

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

sharrrk posted:

its good because i've played through the entire game multiple times and it never stops being fun

I'm sorry you're broken :shrug:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I also enjoy Sonic Adventure 2. :colbert:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

El Mido posted:

PS3 version has a full set of levels in Mazuri and an extra set of levels to play in Empire City compared to the Wii version. It doesn't have the Gaia Gate puzzle rooms. It does have Sonic Adventure/Sonic 2006-ish wandering around hubs for the next cutscene as well as small tasks you can do for npcs. PS3 version has a greater focus on collecting sun and moon medals to progress versus the Wii version only locking off puzzle rooms with medals.

I did like how pretty all the hubs were and the goofy little Pixar people. I wouldn't have minded seeing something like that for Colors as well.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I hate both sonic adventures

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

sharrrk posted:

Same, except for like one or two levels Sonic Adventure 2 has aged extremely well

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
So I've been working PAX this weekend, and today I got an hour lunch which I used to try out Sonic Mania. Guys this game is really good. Like it's really loving good. I know most of you already figured as much, but for the doubters that have expressed concerns, I don't think there's anything to be afraid of. I played Studiopolis and it is really solid. The gimmicks are plentiful without overstaying their welcome, and there's even a bit of a puzzle area that by my count has at least 4 different means of getting past that the player can figure out just by some focused exploring and utilizing things like shields or switching your route. Since I finished at around 4 minutes I even got a USB gift that they were handing out at the anniversary party. I haven't checked it yet, but it's supposed to have some goodies on it.

The line went past the Fire & Ice kiosk as well, and that game also feels really nice. The control scheme is very different from a traditional Sonic game, but everything worked just as it was supposed to and I was able to move quickly and smoothly once my muscle memory properly adjusted to its gameplay. The elemental system feels intuitive and is nicely built into the level UI, and the obstacles aren't obnoxious and are basically designed to let you get past them quickly via whatever attacks your character has. All in all I'm pretty satisfied with what's to come.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Agent Escalus posted:

How's the PS3 version of Unleashed anyway? I own the Wii one and by the time I got my PS3 a demo was nowhere to be found. There was DLC for levels, which I assume are exclusive to the platform?

PS3 version is prettier, has more content and is faster

Wii version has medal collection that makes more sense and is much less grindy, better final boss

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Same, except for like one or two levels Sonic Adventure 2 has aged extremely well

Actually, there are more than two emerald hunting stages.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

People think SA2 is good because Sonic makes Shadow eat those words

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

*thinking about shadow*

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

a.lo posted:

*thinking about shadow*

i do this a lot

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Shadow only has 4 levels in Sonic Adventure 2 and this is a Terrible Travesty.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

When I was 11 and SA2 came out I thought the song Supporting Me that played during the Shadow vs Biolizard battle was the saddest thing ever.

:smith:I believe in my future, farewell to the shadow,
It was my place to live, but now I need your hand.
Lead me out with your light, I have breathed in
The disgusting air of darkness, but I never lose out

To the pressure, everything's just like,
An illusion, I'll be losing you, before long.
:smith:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you enjoy the tails and eggman stages in SA2 you should probably not

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

a.lo posted:

*thinking about shadow*

Here's a nice video to help you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txUuZwCQtSE

I like the choices for the Shadow's Game Subtitle Official Fan Poll.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I hope Sonic Mania includes the Carnival Night Act 2 Barrel in some capacity, like maybe its own boss fight would be sweet.

Kashuno posted:

Not sure what yEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Kashuno posted:

I enjoy the eggman ones but think the tails ones are awful.

Mission Street doesn't even have 100 rings in it if you don't get bonus ones from one of the checkpoints.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Amppelix posted:

Green Hill Paradise appears to just be a custom level for Sonic GDK, which is a sonic game engine based on Unreal Engine. It's got tons of levels, although maybe none as high quality as this. But those physics definitely are nothing new on the fangame scene, this thing has existed since at least 2012.

i figured it was this since they still used bad 3d sonic and had the dumb homing attacks.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I don't think I ever understood the health system for tails/eggman in SA2

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

I don't think I ever understood the health system for tails/eggman in SA2

Ok so you have a health bar, and below there's some yellow segments. When you get hit, you take damage to the health bar and also spill out your rings. Health damage is sorta permanent; you can regain health through health packs in the stages, but also, every one ring you collect fills the yellow segments. When they're full (8 or 10 rings I don't remember), you get a small amount of health back and it resets to empty. So collecting the rings you spill when getting hit is almost, but not quite, useless. Otherwise, they have nothing to do with your health and you can take hits at 0 rings just fine.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

beep by grandpa posted:

I hope Sonic Mania includes the Carnival Night Act 2 Barrel in some capacity, like maybe its own boss fight would be sweet.
I can imagine a simple mini-boss fight but how do you get that perfect moment of blasting through the level when suddenly you're spat onto a barrel and the door locks behind you? You're trapped kid. Trapped with the barrel.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Spiderdrake posted:

I can imagine a simple mini-boss fight but how do you get that perfect moment of blasting through the level when suddenly you're spat onto a barrel and the door locks behind you? You're trapped kid. Trapped with the barrel.

I think you just described Sonic Mania's anti-piracy gimmick :getin:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What did kids and magazines have to say about the barrel back then in the 90's

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i dont like sonic manias invincibility music

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Green Hill Paradise appears to just be a custom level for Sonic GDK, which is a sonic game engine based on Unreal Engine. It's got tons of levels, although maybe none as high quality as this. But those physics definitely are nothing new on the fangame scene, this thing has existed since at least 2012.

I am kinda torn on the quality of the level design, on one hand, it's nice, big and has a lot of nooks and crannies, and yet it does feel a bit unwieldy and janky as places. Falling off a ramp usually means coming to a dead stop in some place you've already been, only now you're in a hole with only Spindash to build up more speed. I'd rather have the game kill me at that point.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Stairmaster posted:

i dont like sonic manias invincibility music

how dare you

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Hey all I'm just laying here looking at the sky thinking about my life, my loved ones and of course Sonic Mania and I had a couple of ideas I wanted to run past you guys.

How do we feel about sonic 3 style level transitions? I always liked its seamless act 1 > 2 zone transition as well as a 10 second cutscene showing how you get from place to place, but a lot of you Sonic 2 puritans out there don't seem to keen on it.

Secondly this is the first time I've thought about this ever but what if there were modern era 16-bit level de-makes of, say, Eggmanland (Sonic Unleashed) or Tropical Resort (Sonic Colors) in Sonic Mania. How fuckin sick would that be.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Xad posted:

Shadow only has 4 levels in Sonic Adventure 2 and this is a Terrible Travesty.

This is the confusing thing to me. He's the new character they want to get over and he only has 4 levels? Why? Increase the number of Shadow levels, decrease the number of either Rouge or Eggman, and we're good. SA2 is great :colbert:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

Hey all I'm just laying here looking at the sky thinking about my life, my loved ones and of course Sonic Mania and I had a couple of ideas I wanted to run past you guys.

How do we feel about sonic 3 style level transitions? I always liked its seamless act 1 > 2 zone transition as well as a 10 second cutscene showing how you get from place to place, but a lot of you Sonic 2 puritans out there don't seem to keen on it.

Secondly this is the first time I've thought about this ever but what if there were modern era 16-bit level de-makes of, say, Eggmanland (Sonic Unleashed) or Tropical Resort (Sonic Colors) in Sonic Mania. How fuckin sick would that be.

This is something where Freedom Planet hit the nail right on the loving head, it's so nice to breeze through an area seemlessly.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Green Hill Paradise Act 2 is far from perfect but as a proof of concept for 3D Classic Sonic level design it's pretty drat great.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

This is the confusing thing to me. He's the new character they want to get over and he only has 4 levels? Why? Increase the number of Shadow levels, decrease the number of either Rouge or Eggman, and we're good. SA2 is great :colbert:

Mod the game so all levels involve Sonic or Shadow, job's a good'un.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Sonic 4 Episode 2 is so loving bad. How is this game so bad? Who seriously submitted the idea that Sonic just merge into a hump pile and roll around with Tails?

Is there seriously not a cutscene skip for this stunning bit of graphical work where Robotnik assembles a pile of garbage into a Michael Bay inspired robot? I mean I know these are some top tier visuals, but even their pride in accomplishing such a masterpiece of video game cinema must allow me to skip it. I keep dying while nodding off at how lovely this game is. And how bad the music is. gently caress.

I don't know why I'm playing it. Lost World is weird and janky, but at least it's sort of novel in its own goofy way. This is just peeing on Sonic 2.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

Dang, I was feeling sleepy but now I ain't

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Calaveron posted:

What did kids and magazines have to say about the barrel back then in the 90's

The old Sega hotline had a dedicated option for kids ringing up to ask about the barrel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

Sonic 4 Episode 2 is so loving bad. How is this game so bad? Who seriously submitted the idea that Sonic just merge into a hump pile and roll around with Tails?

Is there seriously not a cutscene skip for this stunning bit of graphical work where Robotnik assembles a pile of garbage into a Michael Bay inspired robot? I mean I know these are some top tier visuals, but even their pride in accomplishing such a masterpiece of video game cinema must allow me to skip it. I keep dying while nodding off at how lovely this game is. And how bad the music is. gently caress.

I don't know why I'm playing it. Lost World is weird and janky, but at least it's sort of novel in its own goofy way. This is just peeing on Sonic 2.

It does my head in a bit that someone, somewhere had to look at the finalised output of both Sonic 4 Episode 1 and Sonic 4 Episode 2 and go "Yes. Yes this is good enough to release."