Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Paradoxish posted:

Maybe, but the companies that are making these claims aren't really using weasel words to do so:

Ford plans self-driving car for ride share fleets in 2021

Most automakers seem to think that fully autonomous vehicles are going to be on the roads within 4-5 years and readily available before 2030. That's pretty near term.

Words are cheap. Also:

quote:

Ford's announcement leaves many crucial strategy details still undecided. Yet Ken Washington, Ford's vice president of research, said it was important to signal that Ford intends to win in this space, even with key elements still unknown.

Nair said Ford, with its investments and its acquisition of SAIPS, an Israeli machine learning startup, now have the tools in place to develop a fully driverless vehicle, but said "there's still a lot of engineering development" between now and 2021.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ice Phisherman posted:

Why justify anything?

Quite a lot of the government works on precedent, not law. Legally as I understand it a hostile senate can stall forever.

They can but it would be political suicide. The year of blocking a justice is sure as poo poo gonna come up again before November and it hurts Republican electability pretty badly. Stretching that to another couple years would be incredibly stupid. It fuels the "Republicans are the obstructionist party" angle.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I wonder how many married women feel compelled to say they support Trump when they do a phone poll since people might be listening but privately in the voting booth they're gonna vote Clinton.

Sort of the reverse but my favorite Obama-blowout story was a lady getting phone-polled. "Um, we're not sure-" Husband in the background: "TELL 'IM WE'RE VOTING FOR THE NI[CE MAN]"

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Augus posted:

They can but it would be political suicide. The year of blocking a justice is sure as poo poo gonna come up again before November and it hurts Republican electability pretty badly. Stretching that to another couple years would be incredibly stupid. It fuels the "Republicans are the obstructionist party" angle.

McConnell would say "the people have said for us to not confirm" and 43% of the electorate will still vote R.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

computer parts posted:

Words are cheap. Also:

So is your argument that the technology is simply untenable or that automakers are just way off on their timetable or what? I'm not sure what it is that you're saying, since your only point seems to be that we don't have fully autonomous vehicles right now and developing them is hard.

Like, you seem shockingly sure that every company that's currently investing in this technology is off by a decade or more on their predictions.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What do you think it would take for republicans to actually collapse?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Josef bugman posted:

White Genocide.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Paradoxish posted:

So is your argument that the technology is simply untenable or that automakers are just way off on their timetable or what?

The latter.

Autonomous vehicles are trendy. It's easy to get press if you (an automaker) say you're going to have a self driving car in 5 years (which that article says). In reality, it would probably take 5 years just to get from the point of "perfected concept" to "certified for the road". That's why I can tell Ford is just blowing smoke for shareholders.

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.

Josef bugman posted:

Widespread old white death.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Dexo posted:

If they don't keep the senate, hell even if they do it would be hard as poo poo to justify holding on to a justice for 2 years.

I think we all know that the Republicans take great pride in not doing their jobs when a Democrat is in charge. Two years won't be too big of a stretch.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

DemeaninDemon posted:

McConnell would say "the people have said for us to not confirm" and 43% of the electorate will still vote R.

That means 57% didn't vote Republican which would probably mean that Hillary won 45 states.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

So is your argument that the technology is simply untenable or that automakers are just way off on their timetable or what? I'm not sure what it is that you're saying, since your only point seems to be that we don't have fully autonomous vehicles right now and developing them is hard.

Like, you seem shockingly sure that every company that's currently investing in this technology is off by a decade or more on their predictions.

Even if a product hits the market that doesn't mean it is instantly mass adopted.

Even the fastest mass adoption in recent memory, Cell Phones, took a couple of decades.

And cell phones are much cheaper than cars.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Josef bugman posted:

The rapture :angel:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Josef bugman posted:

Honestly, house advantage back down to single digits, a 51-49 Senate split, and Hillary as the president. The infighting will be glorious, because the last two autopsies after the presidential went /completely/ ignored, and they'll be pointing fingers at everyone to try to get out of the blame.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

This is kind of dumb. Obama had only been a US Senator for two years, she had been a US Senator since 2000.

If you want to count his time has a pee-wee league state senator in Illinois, fine. But given her outsized role in healthcare and education policy in her husband's administration, you should count that too. Also that she'd been involved in elective politics since the loving 70's.

Well you can go back to 2008 and tell them that. I agree in part, but that's not the point - her campaign was pretty condescending in general about the man that would become the first black president. More stuff:

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/09/group-tell-clinton-to-stop-race-baiting/

quote:

The online grassroots organization, ColorOfChange, today urged its members to begin a phone onslaught of the headquarters of the Democratic National Committee, in a protest against what it views as Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton’s “race-baiting” remarks.

“Senator Clinton’s race-baiting must end today,” said James Rucker, the executive director of ColorOfChange.org, a black-led advocacy group that boasts a membership of 400,000. “She is sowing division and making the outrageous claim that white voters won’t vote for a black candidate. The politics of division now seem to be her core strategy. It’s a strategy where everyone loses; we can do better and we should be able to expect better from Senator Clinton.”

Racial polarization was a way bigger, more contentious problem in the 2008 dem-primary than 2016 by a mile. Also I stumbled on this poo poo going through old articles, just lol:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/04/12/clinton-touts-her-experience-with-guns/

quote:

Hillary Clinton appealed to Second Amendment supporters on Saturday by hinting that she has some experience of her own pulling triggers.

“I disagree with Sen. Obama’s assertion that people in our country cling to guns and have certain attitudes about trade and immigration simply out of frustration,” she began, referring to the Obama comments on small-town Americans that set off a political tumult on Friday.

She then introduced a fond memory from her youth.

“You know, my dad took me out behind the cottage that my grandfather built on a little lake called Lake Winola outside of Scranton and taught me how to shoot when I was a little girl,” she said.

She was even the rural pro-gun candidate! Everywhere Sanders went culturally that people think was pandering to white people, Clinton went, and went far harder than Sanders. I think Clinton's loyalties are ultimately towards racial justice and she's a relatively good candidate, but let's not kid ourselves and play the same faux-amnesiac game as our stupid political culture.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 4, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xae posted:

Even if a product hits the market that doesn't mean it is instantly mass adopted.

Even the fastest mass adoption in recent memory, Cell Phones, took a couple of decades.

And cell phones are much cheaper than cars.

It's worth remembering that the average car in a residential garage is 12 years old these days. It's both because cars have become more reliable in a big way since the 80s and because people really can't afford to buy that many new cars. And there's pretty much no way self-driving is going to equal "cars that are cheaper than they are now".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I don't forget Clinton in 2008. She said and implied some truly atrocious stuff The 3AM ad was utterly disgusting. I don't think it's enough to make her unforgivable or anything but it was still extremely gross and she'll be forever on that particular side of history even if she becomes the first woman president.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Josef bugman posted:

kick over their rascals

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

hiddenriverninja posted:

kick over their rascals

:golfclap:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

fishmech posted:

It's worth remembering that the average car in a residential garage is 12 years old these days. It's both because cars have become more reliable in a big way since the 80s and because people really can't afford to buy that many new cars. And there's pretty much no way self-driving is going to equal "cars that are cheaper than they are now".

By the time fully autonomous vehicles could be directly sold to consumers, what is even the incentive to own one and assume responsibility for maintenance and insurance? Surely by that point it's more economical for pretty much anyone to to either take autonomous public transit or an autonomous cab or something.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

also weren't something like 39% of sanders' voters saying that they'd vote for trump over him in the general

nah, that was demos saying they'd vote Romney when Hillary was losing.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
In 10 years when stage 4 cars start hitting the markets fishmech will just say that they're not fully autonomous cars because you have to pick a destination

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/JCBua/status/772492586196033537

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to admit that maybe it's my Old Manitis talking but I'm not super thrilled at the idea of autonomous cars. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised when they come out but it just seems like the sort of thing where it's entirely too trivial for it to gently caress up.

... become?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

rscott posted:

In 10 years when stage 4 cars start hitting the markets fishmech will just say that they're not fully autonomous cars because you have to pick a destination

Oh, so it's 10 years now? Already doubling the projected time from Ford.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Eifert Posting posted:

It's also very difficult to find people who are willing to work certain kinds of jobs. Assembly jobs with good benefits but lower salaries are almost impossible to fill right now.

I hear this all the time, practically anytime a local news channel wants to do a "job market: is it really as hard for those lazy poors to find work as they say?" type piece they get some poor would-be captain of industry on to :qq: about how difficult it is to find trained, skilled machinists or welders who are willing to work for the $10/hr no-benefits jobs they're so graciously offering.

And no the benefits aren't usually that great, and it's not like you can feed a family using your high-deductible health plan.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 4, 2016

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

I'm glad the Chia corporation found a creative way to re-package their Mickey Rooney Chia pets.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

computer parts posted:

Oh, so it's 10 years now? Already doubling the projected time from Ford.

Do you not understand what jokes are

e: the answer is obviously "no" btw

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

iospace posted:

Honestly, house advantage back down to single digits, a 51-49 Senate split, and Hillary as the president. The infighting will be glorious, because the last two autopsies after the presidential went /completely/ ignored, and they'll be pointing fingers at everyone to try to get out of the blame.

I am genuinelly wondering if that would ever happen. I mean yeah a smaller party might be able to run some more candidates, but who'd give up being the opposition?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Grognan posted:

nah, that was demos saying they'd vote Romney when Hillary was losing.

:nallears:

e: hahahaha, man oh man

https://twitter.com/AlecMacGillis/status/730181378038341632

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 4, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Josef bugman posted:

I am genuinelly wondering if that would ever happen. I mean yeah a smaller party might be able to run some more candidates, but who'd give up being the opposition?

Honestly, I can see libertarians becoming prominent if the GOP collapses. It's FYGM with a veneer of being "socially left".

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

rscott posted:

That poo poo's not going to happen though. Unless your definition of "hitting the market" is "well if you have $2 million to spare and don't need to drive anywhere that doesn't maintain perfect pavement marking, and also is always sunny".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

iospace posted:

Honestly, I can see libertarians becoming prominent if the GOP collapses. It's FYGM with a veneer of being "socially left".

A movement that primarily supports white men to the chagrin of anyone slightly disadvantaged, yeah that's original.

Like imagine the Republicans jettisoned the Moral Majority folks, what exactly is the difference between them and Libertarians?

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

iospace posted:

I'm sure old people will love the idea of seeing their cost of living go up 30% because we got rid of income tax and everyone else will love learning why the civil rights act, food safety inspections, and laws against drunk driving are government overreach

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

computer parts posted:

A movement that primarily supports white men to the chagrin of anyone slightly disadvantaged, yeah that's original.

Like imagine the Republicans jettisoned the Moral Majority folks, what exactly is the difference between them and Libertarians?

Are you agreeing or disagreeing here?

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

I'm sure old people will love the idea of seeing their cost of living go up 30% because we got rid of income tax and everyone else will love learning why the civil rights act, food safety inspections, and laws against drunk driving are government overreach

Pretty much, but those old people are dying off :eng101:

e: full disclaimer, I think libertarians are dumb.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

iospace posted:

Are you agreeing or disagreeing here?

I'm saying you won't be able to tell the difference.

It's literally the "Branding" argument where all they have to do is change rhetoric for the same outcome.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

iospace posted:

I think it's more likely that the Republican would try to quietly drop a lot of the social war bullshit in hopes of devouring the Libertarians. They might lose the Evangelicals, but they could probably talk the racists around on a 'meritocracy' basis.

e: beaten several times over

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

computer parts posted:

I'm saying you won't be able to tell the difference.

Pretty much, my view, yeah.

Or, as I usually put it: "Libertarians are republicans who smoke weed"

e: speaking of Evangelicals:
https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/772501009272754176

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

iospace posted:

Pretty much, but those old people are dying off :eng101:

e: full disclaimer, I think libertarians are dumb.

I don't know if that's :thejoke: but old people dying off doesn't matter for the tax thing, there is always going to be a group of old people that stand to get utterly ruined by an abrupt transition from production taxes to consumption whenever such a thing is proposed, regardless of their views on things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

fishmech posted:

That poo poo's not going to happen though. Unless your definition of "hitting the market" is "well if you have $2 million to spare and don't need to drive anywhere that doesn't maintain perfect pavement marking, and also is always sunny".

Hillary Clinton is gonna get a bunch of infrastructure spending passed right and the droughts in California are only gonna get worse, and all those silicon Valley types will have the cash to spare, sounds plausable to me

• Locked thread