Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

HaroldofTheRock posted:

I've been playing through Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon on 3DS lately. The controls took me a while to get used to, but what a fun, goofy spookfest. I liked the original Luigi's Mansion on Gamecube but haven't played it in like 10 years, so I forgot all the personality these games have. Luigi is constantly terrified, which is hilarious, and he does a lot of slapstick pratfalls when poo poo goes down. Even then, there are some legit creepy moments. I think this would be a good gateway game for kids or people who aren't necessarily into horror games.

It got my friend interested enough in horror games to ask to watch me play Layers of Fear, so it definitely opened a door for him.

I'm looking for some recommendations of 8- or 16-bit era looking horror games. Not specifically limited to NES, SNES, and Genesis era stuff, but graphically in that ballpark.

So far on my list:
Sweet Home
The SNES Clock Tower
Splatterhouse
Lone Survivor
The Uninvited
Home
Cosmology of Kyoto

I'm sure there's many, many more, especially on PC, but it's tough to figure out what horror games from that era are still worth playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

MockingQuantum posted:

It got my friend interested enough in horror games to ask to watch me play Layers of Fear, so it definitely opened a door for him.

I'm looking for some recommendations of 8- or 16-bit era looking horror games. Not specifically limited to NES, SNES, and Genesis era stuff, but graphically in that ballpark.

So far on my list:
Sweet Home
The SNES Clock Tower
Splatterhouse
Lone Survivor
The Uninvited
Home
Cosmology of Kyoto

I'm sure there's many, many more, especially on PC, but it's tough to figure out what horror games from that era are still worth playing.

There's one that's been posted in this thread before but I can never remember it's name. There was like a haunted pyramid or something? It's a recently fan translated title of a Japanese game.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Len posted:

There's one that's been posted in this thread before but I can never remember it's name. There was like a haunted pyramid or something? It's a recently fan translated title of a Japanese game.

Peret em Heru - For the Prisoners

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!

HaroldofTheRock posted:

I've been playing through Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon on 3DS lately. The controls took me a while to get used to, but what a fun, goofy spookfest. I liked the original Luigi's Mansion on Gamecube but haven't played it in like 10 years, so I forgot all the personality these games have. Luigi is constantly terrified, which is hilarious, and he does a lot of slapstick pratfalls when poo poo goes down. Even then, there are some legit creepy moments. I think this would be a good gateway game for kids or people who aren't necessarily into horror games.

Kid friendly horror in general seems like a great thing we don't get quite enough of. I have a younger sibling who I like to introduce to horror stuff, but there's not a ton out there other than the big names from the 90's like Goosebumps and the like. Sometimes I even prefer some kid-friendly horror over what we get served as adults because it always has to find some way around "death" being the only threat, often resulting in some kind of kid-friendly vision of eternal suffering instead, because for whatever reason that's much more kid friendly. :ghost:

But seriously, what are some other good kid friendly horror stuff?

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Bert of the Forest posted:

Maximo: Ghosts to Glory for PS2 is basically a 3d Ghosts and Goblins that has some genuinely creepy/scary moments, but is mostly light-hearted fun.
Jersey Devil for PS1 also comes to mind.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Nightmare Ned, but good luck getting it to run on a modern PC.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kulkasha posted:

Maximo: Ghosts to Glory for PS2 is basically a 3d Ghosts and Goblins that has some genuinely creepy/scary moments, but is mostly light-hearted fun.
Jersey Devil for PS1 also comes to mind.

Maximo is also hard as gently caress so I hope the hypothetical kids have some skills.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Accordion Man posted:

It's kinda sad that Disney owns it, so it's eternally fated to be kept in whatever vault they keep the various Disney sequels in now

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Accordion Man posted:

Now that was an interesting game. Kind of hard to play, but the level design and characters were creepy without being just gross, which is a rare thing anymore.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Medievil was my jam and it's still pretty good. Zombies Ate My Neighbors is great and there's a PS3 game called Monster Madness that's like a jankier but still decent ZAMN. I also think Grabbed by the Ghoulies is underrated. It's a decent brawler that got snubbed in the anger of Rare going to Microsoft.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

al-azad posted:

I also think Grabbed by the Ghoulies is underrated. It's a decent brawler that got snubbed in the anger of Rare going to Microsoft.

If I remember right it also was just weirdly hard to find in places. I don't think I've ever seen a boxed copy of it in person.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Zombies Ate My Neighbors is one of my favorite games of all time and it sucks that it hasn't gotten a good sequel or remake.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It's kinda sad that Disney owns it, so it's eternally fated to be kept in whatever vault they keep the various Disney sequels in now
Disney just let GOG put up the DOS versions of Aladdin and Lion King so at least now we have an actual chance of a possible rerelease.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oh yeah there's also Gregory Horror Show on ps2

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

If I remember right it also was just weirdly hard to find in places. I don't think I've ever seen a boxed copy of it in person.

If you have an Xbone, you can get Grabbed in the Rare Replay collection that came out a couple years ago. I remember playing a little bit of it and it was a fun little game. That'll probably be your best bet if you're looking to play it unless you have a classic Xbox sitting around and can find a copy on Amazon/Ebay

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Accordion Man posted:

Disney just let GOG put up the DOS versions of Aladdin and Lion King so at least now we have an actual chance of a possible rerelease.

Disney still acknowledges that Aladdin and the Lion King exist, is the thing

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Youtube spat a trailer at me for an indie project called Echo, which just hit Steam Greenlight a little while back. It's not "horror" horror, but the basic premise of wandering around through the alien palace from the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey while trying to not be murdered by yourself seems pretty horrific to me.

There's a trailer showing off the basics of the gameplay. Interesting concept, but I'm not sure how long you could string it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i51x6-8GqkA

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

MockingQuantum posted:

So far on my list:
Sweet Home
The SNES Clock Tower
Splatterhouse
Lone Survivor
The Uninvited
Home
Cosmology of Kyoto

I've looked at and reviewed a bunch of the indie pixel horror games on Steam, so I'm just going to list them all off for you. Good ones first:

The Last Door (review) - My top pick, some of the best cosmic horror to be found in any game
Uncanny Valley (review) - Features multiple endings and some very open-ended exploration, but you have to work for it
Stray Cat Crossing (review) - Short and surreal adventure with some very creepy parts
Reveal the Deep (review) - Short platformer on a sunken ship, great if you fear the ocean
Organ Trail (review) - Zombie apocalypse version of Oregon Trail, takes it seriously and has a great melancholy vibe to it
Lakeview Cabin Collection (review) - Hilarious and creepy open-ended slasher game
Capsule (review) - All alone in a space capsule, with just a low-res console to guide you
The Count Lucanor (review) - Fairy-tale horror adventure with some adorable anime art

There are also some that aren't so good. I'm of the opinion that Home sucks out loud, by the way.

Claire (review) - Like a 2D Silent Hill 2 except with dumb enemies and a terrible map
Clandestinity of Elsie (review) - Another Silent Hill 2 ripoff, this time in RPG Maker

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Got turned on to The Last Door because of this thread (thank you btw!) and enjoyed it although was a bit disappointed it ended with a "to be continued" type ending. Then I noticed Season 2 came out back in March but no one in the thread really commented on it. Steam page says it wraps up the story. Anyone tried it or have any opinions?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Marshal Radisic posted:

Youtube spat a trailer at me for an indie project called Echo, which just hit Steam Greenlight a little while back. It's not "horror" horror, but the basic premise of wandering around through the alien palace from the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey while trying to not be murdered by yourself seems pretty horrific to me.

There's a trailer showing off the basics of the gameplay. Interesting concept, but I'm not sure how long you could string it out.

This looks pretty slick, but I'm curious how much the AI actually learns from and mimics you, or if it's easily-exploitable smoke and mirrors.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

Marshal Radisic posted:

This looks fun, but seems unclear if its out for consoles or not.

quote:

" for PC and unannounced consoles"

I hope this doesn't mean you need to have the ps4.5 or whatever to play this game. It looks fun.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Shnag posted:

This looks fun, but seems unclear if its out for consoles or not.

I hope this doesn't mean you need to have the ps4.5 or whatever to play this game. It looks fun.

"Unannounced consoles" likely means PS4 and/or Xbone. According to leaked internal emails, because Sony still hasn't officially announced the Neo is even a thing, all games now and in the future must also run on PS4.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!

Xenomrph posted:

This looks pretty slick, but I'm curious how much the AI actually learns from and mimics you, or if it's easily-exploitable smoke and mirrors.

From the looks of the trailer it actually looks like they did it fairly simply. I wouldn't say the AI seems to "learn" from you so much as they simply just take the same paths you did and then reverting to basic shooty-kill AI when spotting you. So it's basically the FPS equivalent of the game SNAKE. With that said, even being that simple I can see this being a weirdly tense experience given the basic strategy involves you not repeating yourself.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

From the looks of the trailer it actually looks like they did it fairly simply. I wouldn't say the AI seems to "learn" from you so much as they simply just take the same paths you did and then reverting to basic shooty-kill AI when spotting you. So it's basically the FPS equivalent of the game SNAKE. With that said, even being that simple I can see this being a weirdly tense experience given the basic strategy involves you not repeating yourself.

That is actually a pretty cool idea, I had thought the echoes were some sort of time trial thing but creating new guards is more neat.

I guess it would get boring pretty fast though since you would end up just methodically working your way from side to side for each run until you ran out of cover.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Kid friendly horror in general seems like a great thing we don't get quite enough of. I have a younger sibling who I like to introduce to horror stuff, but there's not a ton out there other than the big names from the 90's like Goosebumps and the like. Sometimes I even prefer some kid-friendly horror over what we get served as adults because it always has to find some way around "death" being the only threat, often resulting in some kind of kid-friendly vision of eternal suffering instead, because for whatever reason that's much more kid friendly. :ghost:

I'm not sure how old the kids in question are, but you might play through Alan Wake to see if it's right. It's not without death, but it's not the kind you'd find in, like, Silent Hill.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Skyscraper posted:

I'm not sure how old the kids in question are, but you might play through Alan Wake to see if it's right. It's not without death, but it's not the kind you'd find in, like, Silent Hill.

That is actually a pretty good idea. It is very occasionally bloody and there are guns in it but generally speaking it's all just shooting shadows, not actual monsters

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keOm-39MX80

Huh, I didn't know it was coming out so soon. I know that uhhh dead by daylight showed up to do a similar kind of thing and I've heard it is pretty decent, but here's hoping that this friday the 13th game is fun too :)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It's hard to say how it will turn out until people start playing it. The maps are much bigger than DBD but Jason had a lot of really strong abilities, so who knows how it will be in terms of balance.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Whatever the case, I haven't really followed its development so hopefully it doesn't end up like Evolve where it just kinda died for whatever reason

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I really liked a game called Heart of Darkness as a kid. I think it was a PC port of a PlayStation game. You played as a kid with a lightning gun fighting evil shadows. I remember it being really hard so I never got very far.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

FirstAidKite posted:

Whatever the case, I haven't really followed its development so hopefully it doesn't end up like Evolve where it just kinda died for whatever reason

Evolve died for very specific reasons.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

treat posted:

Evolve died for very specific reasons.

Were those reasons, because it was bad, ,ecause nobody played it, something else?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Skyscraper posted:

Were those reasons, because it was bad, ,ecause nobody played it, something else?
The shitton of launch day DLC for a premium game was another major one.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Skyscraper posted:

The game itself is mostly fine, the people who played it didn't hate it but it's a poster child for everything you can do wrong to alienate their audience with its lack of content and mountains of DLC. Take-Two said it was successful and it got a booster shot as a f2p game and that was probably its biggest problem. Nobody wanted to pay $60 for a game with less content than something like Natural Selection 2, a $20 game.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Accordion Man posted:

The shitton of launch day DLC for a premium game was another major one.

al-azad posted:

The game itself is mostly fine, the people who played it didn't hate it but it's a poster child for everything you can do wrong to alienate their audience with its lack of content and mountains of DLC. Take-Two said it was successful and it got a booster shot as a f2p game and that was probably its biggest problem. Nobody wanted to pay $60 for a game with less content than something like Natural Selection 2, a $20 game.

Ah, I see, thanks. I had heard about this before it came out, and suddenly I stopped hearing about it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Yeah, Evolve was the first real casualty in the war against Day One DLC, there was such a blowback that it kind of died before it lived.

The also didn't factor in that it may be okay to design a game around being competitive but forcing a comp scene on something no one wants to play is asking for disaster.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The also didn't factor in that it may be okay to design a game around being competitive but forcing a comp scene on something no one wants to play is asking for disaster.
Were Mountain Dew and Doritos forcibly applied to what players it had?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

FastestGunAlive posted:

Zombies Ate My Neighbors is one of my favorite games of all time and it sucks that it hasn't gotten a good sequel or remake.

There was a Family Guy game made a few years back that wasn't anything special, but I always thought a Zombies Ate My Neighbors sequel done in the same cartoony 3D style would be really fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFDnmA1gzsI&t=461s

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That E3 stage event made a lot of people cringe. They debuted the gameplay as a "tournament" and had announcers calling the game with made up terminology. Stuff like "He got a two-three eat right out of the gate!".

Ugh, the whole thing was really sad. It's what happens when you stick a publisher's marketing department in charge of development I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Skyscraper posted:

Were Mountain Dew and Doritos forcibly applied to what players it had?

Not really, like Danger said they just tried really, really hard to astroturf a competitive scene and it weirded people out a lot. It went beyond marketing and turned into just being fake and weird.