Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Tommofork posted:

Transport planes are abstracted, going by their production costs, 1 unit of transport planes is a squadron.

Historical France is pretty fun, you've got very limited military production to meet the Germans.

Aaah, huh. So one "plane" is enough for a few divisions, or do I only need one division?

And yeah, I kind of wanted to do a reformist route, but historical also looks good.

Italy's also pretty interesting looking, especially the route that looks like it's trying to make your own roman empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Turns out that offensive fronts are supposed to be drawn as new fronts, not attack corridors. No wonder I was having so many issues.

Played as Great Britain, drove the Reich into the sea and ran around Africa cleaning up the last of Italy, good times. Except that I accidentally went to war with the soviets when they attacked one of my tiny allies, so now we are having a East vs West war in the 1940s.

Ahh there's the problem. Sorry I didn't get back to you on that fast enough. You can also link multiple new fronts together into a single advance. Use (ALT + LMB i think) to drag the advancement arrows around, and you can connect fronts/lines of advance to each other. I also generally like to have infantry assigned to a front but not given attack orders, so they'll just advance with and hold the front without much micro, letting you focus on your spearheads and attack forces.

I strongly recommend reading the tooltips for each battle-planner option in detail. There's actually a lot of useful info tucked away in there.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Pinback posted:

I also generally like to have infantry assigned to a front but not given attack orders, so they'll just advance with and hold the front without much micro, letting you focus on your spearheads and attack forces.

:catstare:

I hadn't realised this but it makes perfect sense.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

spectralent posted:

Is this a meme or can you really load up all the paras you need in one plane?

Also goddamn looking at these focus trees is really amazing. I never thought I'd actively want to play France or Italy, but here we are.

Paras work a little differently from marines; a paraplane can only carry a certain amount of weight (which I can't say I remember) of specially made para divisions, but once a group of divisions has been given an order it will keep doing the mission until they're all dropped. So one paraplane might be able to do a para division at a time... which could be very dangerous, of course.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Im an idiot, gently caress the differences in European and correct American English.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 4, 2016

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Even if the full division doesn't fit on the plane (which I have never seen evidence of), it will dutifully return to base and transport the rest. You can easily drop 10 divisions with one "plane". Faster and more reliable to have more (it can break / be shot down), but even when I only had one plane to work with it seemed to get the job done faster than it could be reacted to with land units.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

spectralent posted:

Oooooooh.

I wondered what that was.

Production efficiency is capped and some of the industrial techs (and your difficulty level in regards to the cap) increase the cap, efficiency growth and the retention when switching. Also, you retain more of your production efficiency when you switch a production line to a different model of the same (IE, switching your 1936 fighter production to the new 1940 model after researching it), and even moreso if you switch it to a variant (the ones you can create by using Army/Air experience) of the same model. Note that dockyards are NOT affected by this, they always produce at 100% output.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So on some weird whim I started as Portugal and switched over to Democratic. Started tooling and teching up, exercising my starter troops and eating popcorn while watching Republican Spain stomp the facists in the civil war. Kept building up my forces while the world tension meter crept up, and when it got high enough I went all AAAARGH DESTROY THE RED MENACE and declared war on Spain. Proceeded to beat the everloving poo poo out of them, since the rest of the comintern were too far and too busy getting kicked in the dick by Hitler to bother me. I think when they capitulated they had like 750k casualties compared to my 50k-ish.

Currently it's late 1942. I'm still at war by myself against Comintern, though on pretty good terms with the Allies and... actually I haven't looked at what the Axis think of me lately. The war was very much in my favour at one point because Germany was kicking a lot of Soviet rear end and the USSR was pretty close to capitulating, but the tide turned when the US swooped in through the Baltic Sea and I think Germany is pretty hosed at the moment. Japan has gobbled up loads of land in the East though, hopefully they'll keep the Soviets a bit busy.

Wondering if there's a way for me to sour the relations between the Allies and Comintern so I could keep shooting commies without worrying about Allied intervention. Anyway it'll be interesting to see how the situation develops. Would be cool if the whole war broke into a full-on three-way fight. :black101: I don't know if that's even possible though.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
The more transport planes you use the less likely you are to take losses over intervening enemy territory. E.g. When I used one plane to drop on Paris with a path over Southern France, 1 plane assigned lost me divison after division, 10 planes assigned dropped everyone with no more losses.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Nordick posted:

Would be cool if the whole war broke into a full-on three-way fight. :black101: I don't know if that's even possible though.

A three-way fight is definitely possible, but it seems like it only ever happens when you don't want it to.

I get it a lot with Finland joining the Allies during the Winter War, or when the USSR tries to take Estonia/Latvia/Lithuania.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The only time I ever see it is when USSR declares war on Poland.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Happens with Romania now and again too.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
3 way fights happen all the time in multiplayer.

As it stands, Japan (axis) at war with Russia at war with Germany/Spain (Axis) at war with France/Belgium/Italy/Netherlands at war with the United Kingdom and United States (Allies)

edit: just for FYI the Western European Player group didn't start any wars which is what makes it hilarious.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Sep 4, 2016

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

For conquering USA as Mexico, do you conquer your Southern neighbors first? Or do you attack USA as soon as you can get 30 20% trained and 20% equipped divisions?

I had a go at it yesterday and it was harder than people make it sound. I got bogged down by the USA sticking 6 full divisisions in New Orleans which left me with a bunch of divisions clustered around New Orleans because I just could not break into it. I never managed to push past St. Louis in the North or much past New Orleans in the East before the USA got it's act together and started building more real divisions and even tank divisions than I had and pushing back.

Another newbie question. How do you build a division with 7 inf and 2 art? I only had the option to add support inf. When I clicked on the add regiment buttons it only showed inf and motorized regiments as options to add.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 4, 2016

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

LLSix posted:

For conquering USA as Mexico, do you conquer your Southern neighbors first? Or do you attack USA as soon as you can get 30 20% trained and 20% equipped divisions?

I had a go at it yesterday and it was harder than people make it sound. I got bogged down by the USA sticking 6 full divisisions in New Orleans which left me with a bunch of divisions clustered around New Orleans because I just could not break into it. I never managed to push past St. Louis in the North or much past New Orleans in the East before the USA got it's act together and started building more real divisions and even tank divisions than I had and pushing back.

Another newbie question. How do you build a division with 7 inf and 2 art? I only had the option to add support inf. When I clicked on the add regiment buttons it only showed inf and motorized regiments as options to add.

If you're attacking the USA as Mexico, start the war as soon as you can get a war goal. I didn't spawn divisions at 20% so I don't know if that helps or hinders you, but if you give your infantry some artillery (and maybe some AA because they're the poor man's anti-tank and you'll never win the air war) you should just be able to put 'em under a single field marshal, draw an offensive line on the Canadian border and go hog wild. If the USA has tank divisions, you've left them be for too long.

Towed artillery is under infantry on the "add brigades" bit. Basically, if it has treads it goes under armour, if it has wheels or hooves it's mobile, and otherwise it's infantry.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Additionally, concentrate on pushing up the East side of the USA, that's where a lot of their victory points and industry are located. The West's covered in mountains so it's a nightmare to fight your way up that side.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

LLSix posted:

Those are categories. Click on the inf button and you'll get a list of choices, including art.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I just picked up the game, and I have to say that it is quite fun. I decided to start a campaign as the Japanese, with the intention of trying to go allied which should be an I threshing challenge to say the least.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Doing a communist Brazil run, going around puppeting all the other South American nations. Communist Argentina has a female leader, which owns so much.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Question about strategy for pushing into Europe as Japan. My thought was to try and land in Iran, or somewhere in the Mediterranean, and push from there, but having absolutely no experience with how this game works, I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for what my goals should be for preparing for this sort of invasion in regard to making sure things are supplied properly.

It all, of course, depends on the UK not hating me, of course.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I went to try out a minor nation and now the new persian empire in 1940 covers basically the whole middle east so uh.

I'm really noticing how nice the focus war goals are; I feel like the generic tree could use some neighbour-war focuses. Also, I went to war with france over it's tiny slip of the middle east, which I've now claimed, but apparently france has to declare peace, despite bringing like the entire Allied force into the war with me. So I've just eaten up everyone's colonies nearby and now I'm going to eat Greece.

1. Will this make them finally give up?

2. If they do, do I get everything I captured, or am I going to return to prewar borders just with france's tiny-rear end colony?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

spectralent posted:

I went to try out a minor nation and now the new persian empire in 1940 covers basically the whole middle east so uh.

I'm really noticing how nice the focus war goals are; I feel like the generic tree could use some neighbour-war focuses. Also, I went to war with france over it's tiny slip of the middle east, which I've now claimed, but apparently france has to declare peace, despite bringing like the entire Allied force into the war with me. So I've just eaten up everyone's colonies nearby and now I'm going to eat Greece.

2. If they do, do I get everything I captured, or am I going to return to prewar borders just with france's tiny-rear end colony?

I think if a war's going 50% in your favour you can ask for a white peace to end it, though I think it just restores all previous borders as if the war never happened. I'm not too sure, I've never used one, though I've seen AI Soviet-Finland wars end that way a few times.

The other option is to buddy up with the Axis and take out the Allies. You might want to join the Axis, I played a similar game without a faction that was going ok until the Comintern declared on me.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

spectralent posted:

War against a faction only ends when all major faction members have capitulated.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

So in short, to claim three provinces next to me, I would have to defeat the whole of western europe? That sounds reasonable.

I guess I'm buddying up to the Axis. Or possibly rewinding time to claim Turkey via it's mountain border instead.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Are you using the mod? Then you should actually have a focus that allows you to demand Syria and either get it handed over or get a casus belli if the AI France declines. And yeah, the ones that get you into a war against the UK or USSR are pretty much meant to get you to join a faction. Also, you really should take Turkey first in the mod because taking it, Iraq and Afghanistan allows you to get te Saoshyant focus that really helps with your manpower limitations.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Magni posted:

Are you using the mod? Then you should actually have a focus that allows you to demand Syria and either get it handed over or get a casus belli if the AI France declines. And yeah, the ones that get you into a war against the UK or USSR are pretty much meant to get you to join a faction. Also, you really should take Turkey first in the mod because taking it, Iraq and Afghanistan allows you to get te Saoshyant focus that really helps with your manpower limitations.

I had no idea there was a mod :downs:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

spectralent posted:

I had no idea there was a mod :downs:

Rise of Persia. It's pretty ool and changes quite a bit about how Iran plays while still leaving you the freedom to go for any ideology. The unique focus tree is very pwoerful, but there's a bunch of events and national spirits that can really gently caress you over if you don't know how to deal with them.

One slight spoiler hint:
Do not pick Reform the Judiciary unless you have at least 30-40 decent divisions.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Nordick posted:

Wondering if there's a way for me to sour the relations between the Allies and Comintern so I could keep shooting commies without worrying about Allied intervention. Anyway it'll be interesting to see how the situation develops. Would be cool if the whole war broke into a full-on three-way fight. :black101: I don't know if that's even possible though.

As best as I can tell, after the Axis capitulates in the next 6 months the Allies and Comintern will go hot again.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

So Britain has a lot of planes. I think I whittled away maybe half their fleet in the med. On the other hand I've only got 1000 planes and can only make like 3 a day.

How do I Sealion them through that mess? I'm Italy leading my own faction and Hitler is busy suiciding his face into Russia as he likes to do. I've got 4 BBs, 8 CAs, and a mess of destroyers. I think I came through the war for the med with most of my pre-war fleet intact.

To counter fighters, do I use heavy fighters or just other fighters?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Is there a way to use transport planes to resupply a pocket? The one time I dropped 20 paras as the Soviets into the Czech Republic was disastrous as they lacked supplies and couldn't fan out fast because of it.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is there a way to use transport planes to resupply a pocket? The one time I dropped 20 paras as the Soviets into the Czech Republic was disastrous as they lacked supplies and couldn't fan out fast because of it.

They need logi support and to quickly take control of a city/port so they can resupply. I don't think there is a mechanic for aerial resupply as it stands.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

LLSix posted:

So Britain has a lot of planes. I think I whittled away maybe half their fleet in the med. On the other hand I've only got 1000 planes and can only make like 3 a day.

How do I Sealion them through that mess? I'm Italy leading my own faction and Hitler is busy suiciding his face into Russia as he likes to do. I've got 4 BBs, 8 CAs, and a mess of destroyers. I think I came through the war for the med with most of my pre-war fleet intact.

Fighters with engines upgraded to max are currently the best fighters, unless you're trying to cover a huge airzone or take out strat bombers, which is what heavy fighters are for. I tried heavy fighters as a test one game, they were utterly shredded by the UK's normal fighters. Never again.

Execute Sealion from another direction. I've grown fond of coming from the north, either from Greenland or Norway, and taking the tiny isles to the north, then taking Ireland, then crossing over.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Nope! :shepicide: Taking a victory point gives some supply at least, but you still get that -50% speed modifier. You're better off dropping paratroopers into a few different provinces than concentrating them. If one province is undefended, the others can retreat there.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
When I para if I'm not drunk or high I usually get one general to create 5-6 different plans so that his divisions are spread out over a handful of provinces and can create a neat little salient around a VP, which I then attack from all sides and pray loudly. This works really well for major cities like Berlin that have enough supply to hold 8 divisions against a relatively determined attack indefinitely. Much like real life paratroopers die extremely quickly if they're left unsupported and out of supply. Unlike real life you can't drop them riceroni packets out of C-13s.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wasn't air supplying a terrible idea that didn't work pretty much every single time it was tried in ww2?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

LLSix posted:

Two choices: turn back time to 1938 and stick 3 full lines on fighters, or use a non-Channel route. Northern Ireland, Norway, Iceland... you can conceivably drop paratroopers somewhere appropriate without crossing the Channel too, maybe from Holland?

As for your fleet, CL spam rules the day on this patch and unless you have more CL than Britain I wouldn't try it. Keep his stuff out of the med and find a way to take Gibraltar (and Suez if you haven't already).

Poil posted:

Wasn't air supplying a terrible idea that didn't work pretty much every single time it was tried in ww2?

Well, they eventually figured it out in part thanks to all the ww2 disasters.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Poil posted:

At Demyansk the 16th Army (or parts of it, anyway) was encircled but was successfully kept supplied by air, ultimately escaping. That increased Hitler's enthusiasm for the idea when Stalingrad was enveloped, which was on an entirely different scale and... somewhat less successful.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Poil posted:

In addition to the one below there was also the RAF airdrops in asia.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It doesn't have to be the sole method of supply, either. It'd be good to be able to supply troops who are merely under-supplied, too.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Gort posted:

It doesn't have to be the sole method of supply, either. It'd be good to be able to supply troops who are merely under-supplied, too.

I have beef with the whole supply system at the moment. Two naval invasion land in the same area, both secure level one ports. Each port brings in separate supplies. The second those two landings link up they'll use the same port and halve incoming supply. Brilliant decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...

Immediately after posting that focus tree I realized I was really unhappy with it. Here's a revised one if anyone is curious.

Pinback fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 5, 2016