Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rhyno posted:

His meds that allow him to move his back without pain are also what is making him fat so I don't think he's gonna be skinny again any time soon.

I thought he gained weight due to his knee surgery? Didn't know he had major back issues. That's really unfortunate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Has there been an example in the remake series gone wild of TV that's been any good? Hawaii Five-0 was alright until it started interrupting episodes for product placement ("Hey, bradda. I used to eat da fried foods but I'm on a diet now an' have already lost five pounds thanks to dese Subway sandwiches, brah!" right in the middle of a god drat episode), Rush Hour looked terrible, Lethal Weapon looks bad as does MacGyver.

Rush Hour looked like somebody took the Santa Monica Cop sitcom idea from Californication and thought "You know, that's a great idea!".

I never saw it, but people in this thread seemed to really enjoy the Limitless TV show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Limitless also wasn't a remake, it was a sequel to the movie.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
As for remakes of shows, Battlestar Galactica was a pretty huge improvement over the original. Star Trek: The Next Generation Isn't technically a remake, but it kind of is.

TV show adaptions of films, you have 12 Monkeys which is really good, and Limitless, which a bunch of people like.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

E: I appear to be misinformed

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

I thought he gained weight due to his knee surgery? Didn't know he had major back issues. That's really unfortunate.

I think it started with bad knees when he was appearing on Stargate Universe but recently I saw some stuff about now his back is bad but the treatment he is on gives him freedom of movement but the downside is the weight gain is much worse.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CBJSprague24 posted:

Has there been an example in the remake series gone wild of TV that's been any good?

Snak mentioned BSG, but beyond that, Shameless and The Office come to mind.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh I wasn't even thinking of remakes of foreign shows. House of Cards, then.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
The Night Of, Homeland

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

Oh I wasn't even thinking of remakes of foreign shows. House of Cards, then.

I think the Netflix version is inferior to the BBC one.

(Unless I have misunderstood the question!)

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

MiddleOne posted:

Fargo is not a remake.

muscles like this? posted:

Limitless also wasn't a remake, it was a sequel to the movie.

He listed Macguyver as an example of a remake and I was under the impression that it was a successor to the original show, so I was just going off of his criteria.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Macgyver is a remake

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's kind of hard to know what is going on with Macgyver, the trailer for the original pilot makes it look like the new guy is the original's son but then they redid everything so that might not be true.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Dead Set is on Netflix. It's a BBC show that's literally "the cast of a season of Big Brother are The Walking Dead" but despite how derivative/done-to-death that sounds, it's quite enjoyable and frequently humorous.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think the Netflix version is inferior to the BBC one.

(Unless I have misunderstood the question!)

A bit; the question isn't "remake shows that are better than the original", just "remake shows that are any good". Shows that are a remake of something and that aren't awful.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I see. Well, the Netflix version is good as well, in that case.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

precision posted:

The Dead Set is on Netflix. It's a BBC show that's literally "the cast of a season of Big Brother are The Walking Dead" but despite how derivative/done-to-death that sounds, it's quite enjoyable and frequently humorous.

It was Channel Four, not BBC. It's weird how every UK show gets called a BBC show, is it cos they sometimes air on BBC America?

Personally I thought the first episode was great, then it went downhill really fast. I also can't imagine it has aged particularly well, it's about 6-7 years old.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of Netflix, Mythbusters' former "Build Team" Tory Belleci, Kari Byron and Grant Imahara are doing a show for Netflix called The White Rabbit Project which sounds like it's basically Mythbusters.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

muscles like this? posted:

Speaking of Netflix, Mythbusters' former "Build Team" Tory Belleci, Kari Byron and Grant Imahara are doing a show for Netflix called The White Rabbit Project which sounds like it's basically Mythbusters.

IRQ coming to roll his eyes in three, two...

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

precision posted:

It's also what Charlie Brooker did before Black Mirror and it has an equally bleak take on modern society.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DivisionPost posted:

IRQ coming to roll his eyes in three, two...

They gotta pay the bills; I won't begrudge them that. I will also give it a chance on the possibility that them sucking all kinds of poo poo on Mythbusters was bad production/writing, which we do have some evidence of (the cattle prod fence incident being producer meddling for example). Grant legitimately knows his poo poo when he isn't hamming it up, and I don't know, maybe Kari does?

EL BROMANCE posted:

It was Channel Four, not BBC. It's weird how every UK show gets called a BBC show, is it cos they sometimes air on BBC America?

Personally I thought the first episode was great, then it went downhill really fast. I also can't imagine it has aged particularly well, it's about 6-7 years old.

It's because we don't really know what your channels are. I'm probably more familiar than most but I'm still confused in that I thought Channel X were just variations of the BBC like MTV2 though MTV67. As opposed to Sky (cable) channels? Isn't that the case, like Top Gear was Channel 2(?) but it was BBC? Speaking of, when the gently caress is The Grand Tour airing come on Amazon get your poo poo together!

IRQ fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 4, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

They gotta pay the bills; I won't begrudge them that. I will also give it a chance on the possibility that them sucking all kinds of poo poo on Mythbusters was bad production/writing, which we do have some evidence of (the cattle prod fence incident being producer meddling for example).

Was that the one where they came dangerously close to murdering a dude?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A producer told them that they should totally trick Adam by having him touch a thing that would shock him and it turns out that it was high enough amps that it could have killed him.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Was that the one where they came dangerously close to murdering a dude?

They've come close to killing people several times, but I'm talking about the time a producer had the goober team trick Adam Savage into touching an electric fence that was wired up to a very nice amount of electricity and he was visibly barely containing his rage on camera. Said producer was fired iirc.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0SEBFGGEcI&t=171s

IRQ fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 4, 2016

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

IRQ posted:

It's because we don't really know what your channels are. I'm probably more familiar than most but I'm still confused in that I thought Channel X were just variations of the BBC like MTV2 though MTV67. As opposed to Sky (cable) channels? Isn't that the case, like Top Gear was Channel 2(?) but it was BBC? Speaking of, when the gently caress is The Grand Tour airing come on Amazon get your poo poo together!

Here's a list of our free over the air channels - only the ones named BBC _______ are BBC. We actually have a ton of networks and that's before you factor in pay TV (sky etc)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I thought you guys had like 5 tv channels. That's way more than I get with my antenna.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah the 80s and 90s only gave us BBC1, BBC2, ITV (which was originally a collection of independents that's kind of closer to the US system, but they ended up merging), and Channel 4 (or S4C in Wales, which meant we were robbed of English language programming until it was shown at 2am the following week). Channel 5 came in the late 90s but has nothing to do with Channel 4 and required the whole country to retune their VCRs for a channel they didn't watch.

In the meanwhile we had satellite and cable options, as well as a subscription DTV service that was ridiculously easy to crack that gave you a ton of good channels over the air with an antenna. That system eventually failed because the owners put too much money into sports contracts that nobody cared about, so it turned into Freeview which is essentially the same as US DTV without subchannels. It's pretty poo poo, as it's just the original broadcasters with more channels that just show repeats of stuff most of the time, and shopping channels and awful premium rate quiz nonsense.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Popping out of the woodwork to say Survivor's Remorse on Starz is funnier and better written than Ballers and seems to be getting better with each new episode.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Mash is a remake of the movie.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Mash is a remake of the movie.

Good call.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

IRQ posted:

They gotta pay the bills; I won't begrudge them that. I will also give it a chance on the possibility that them sucking all kinds of poo poo on Mythbusters was bad production/writing, which we do have some evidence of (the cattle prod fence incident being producer meddling for example). Grant legitimately knows his poo poo when he isn't hamming it up, and I don't know, maybe Kari does?

Tori also knows his stuff even if he comes across like a massive dumbfuck on TV; he was a professional pyro and effects guy too and worked on movies with Jamie on occasion, which is how he got hired. He also did models for ILM and work on the prequel trilogy

Kari is the odd one out because she was literally just hired to be a lady presenter and has no background, but ofc after working on that show for like a decade maybe she does know stuff now

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Netflix is dead to me. I don't know is this is what aired but Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 6, episode 7 is butchered beyond belief. I have the dvd. Every other line is cut for time. It's not even funny on Netflix. Like, if I was watching this show for the first time, I would think it sucked rear end.

Edit: like, there's a good chance this is just the tv edit. But, holy gently caress, I've never seen this edit and it sucks.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
If you were watching it for the first time on a platform which allows you to start from the beginning, wtf are you doing in the middle of season 6?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Inspector 34 posted:

If you were watching it for the first time on a platform which allows you to start from the beginning, wtf are you doing in the middle of season 6?

My point is that if a person discovered this show on this platform, would they have reason to think they were watching a lovely, edited for time version? The Netflix version chops chunks out of the show like it ain't no thing.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I wonder how much control Netflix of Hulu or any other platform actually has with whichever version of shows they get. I'd assume it's all part of their negotiations for content but I bet some stuff slips through the cracks .

Also, what would even be the point of selling them a lovely version of the show? It only makes your product look like crap even if you only offered it as a way to up sell the full version or whatever.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've only seen Netflix versions where they change the music. Not actually edit out dialogue. That's just bizarre.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Netflix doesn't do it. I think they just buy the rights to the most convenient and economically priced package. So the syndication versions instead of the DVD versions. I think they'll change it if enough people bug them to justify the time and cost. I think they had the edited version of the Breaking Bad pilot until people bugged them about it.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 5, 2016

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Interestingly I've had the opposite experience with other episodes of Buffy, where I originally watched them on syndicated TV and noticed new stuff when I would rewatch them on Netflix.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lycus posted:

Netflix doesn't do it. I think they just buy the rights to the most convenient and economically priced package. So the syndication versions instead of the DVD versions. I think they'll change it if enough people bug them to justify the time and cost. I think they had the edited version of the Breaking Bad pilot until people bu them about it.

I get that and it makes sense, but I can't recommend a show to someone and risk them thinking they can watch the show of the same name and see the thing I recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

Kari is the odd one out because she was literally just hired to be a lady presenter and has no background, but ofc after working on that show for like a decade maybe she does know stuff now

Not true. She was hired to work in Jamie's shop and just gradually started appearing on the show. You can see her around from the very first few shows.

cheerfullydrab posted:

The best 90's serial drama was Action, cancelled too soon and too beautiful for this world.

Action was a Jay Mohr sitcom, unless there's another one I'm blanking on?

• Locked thread