Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RosarioImpale
Oct 27, 2007
Does anyone have any suggestions for good meat thermometers? I'm looking for something that can be used on the grill or the stovetop, preferably with a leave-in probe or something. My budget is a bit tight but I'm also willing to pay for quality, and it seems like there's a lot of "this thing has a non-intuitive display/sets everything to the same temp/won't switch from Celsius to Fahrenheit" or "it died after 5-10 uses", and I'd like to avoid those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
are you looking for an instant read or a probe thermometer? for an instant read id recommend the ThermoPop as a cheap alternative to the very nice but quite expensive thermapen. for a probe thermometer, just pick something on amazon with good reviews--there are lots of good options for under $25.

RosarioImpale
Oct 27, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

are you looking for an instant read or a probe thermometer? for an instant read id recommend the ThermoPop as a cheap alternative to the very nice but quite expensive thermapen. for a probe thermometer, just pick something on amazon with good reviews--there are lots of good options for under $25.

I had been looking at the ThermoPop; good to hear endorsements of it. I think eventually I'll need both types, but for the time being (until I do more research on probe thermometers) the instant read will probably be more helpful. Thank you!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

RosarioImpale posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for good meat thermometers? I'm looking for something that can be used on the grill or the stovetop, preferably with a leave-in probe or something. My budget is a bit tight but I'm also willing to pay for quality, and it seems like there's a lot of "this thing has a non-intuitive display/sets everything to the same temp/won't switch from Celsius to Fahrenheit" or "it died after 5-10 uses", and I'd like to avoid those.

Anything from Thermoworks will do well. They make probe and instant read thermometers at reasonable price points that read quickly and have a large, intuitive display. I've been using mine for a year and a half - it's the predecessor to the ThermoPop.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I roasted some peppers in my toaster oven last week and they were delicious, but they were also so wet. I was expecting the process to dry them out quite a bit, but by the time I'd cut them they were already kinda soggy.

To make them, I preheated the oven to 450, placed the peppers on a small baking sheet covered in foil, put them in the oven for 20 minutes, rotated them, then put them back in the oven for another 20 minutes. I placed them aside on a paper towel for 15 minutes, rotated them onto a new paper towel, then cut them.

Is it just that I should not worry about the drippings/cleanup and put them directly on the toaster oven rack so they can drip off a bit? I know ideally I'd have a grill to roast them over a direct flame, but that's not in the cards. Is their sogginess just due to their original water content being so high? Should I not roast them whole?

Or is there a simple way I can improve my technique?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
cut them into strips or large chunks and try that

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I have a sudden and inexplicable craving for cinnamon raisin bread. I remember inhaling Sunmaid Cinnamon Raisin Bread by the loaf when I was younger, but of course it's not available anywhere here - what's a good recipe to make something similar?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Canuck-Errant posted:

I have a sudden and inexplicable craving for cinnamon raisin bread. I remember inhaling Sunmaid Cinnamon Raisin Bread by the loaf when I was younger, but of course it's not available anywhere here - what's a good recipe to make something similar?
I've made this a few times and it's good. I'm not sure if it tastes anything like Sunmaid, which I've never had. It might not be as sweet, so you could add a bunch of sugar into the cinnamon swirl.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I roasted some peppers in my toaster oven last week and they were delicious, but they were also so wet. I was expecting the process to dry them out quite a bit, but by the time I'd cut them they were already kinda soggy.

For starters, cut them first like BraveUlysses said; if they're whole, there's nowhere for the moisture inside to go. If your toaster oven has more than one rack level, you can put them straight on the top rack with a foil-lined tray on the rack under it. The hot air can circulate around them and the pan catches the drips.

A4 Steak Sauce
May 9, 2016
A fellow goon and I were talking about cheese when he introduced me to Brunost, a type of Danish soft cheese that looks like a milk caramel. My brain immediately went "Huh. If you combine that with cheddar or another hard cheese in the right amount, you could make a new pizza cheese."

My fellow goon said that this was an excellent idea and that I should share it with you guys to experiment. I would love to see what the end results look like if you do try it!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Brunost is not good on pizza generally.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

I dunno I think it could work. (i am the aforementioned goon, hello darlings) The taste is markedly sweeter than other cheeses, so you'd have to be careful to balance your toppings so it wasn't just confusing. I think I might have to experiment with it sometime, I'll let y'all know if I come up with anything worth mention.

edit to add: holy lol, a truckload of it caught fire and burned for FOUR DAYS https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brunost#Accidents

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Anyone give advice on an induction hobs? I've just got one after years of using Gas and Electric.

Trying to figure out what are decent pans for induction, the ones that say they're multipurpose tend not to be so great for induction as they've got a raised bit in the middle on the underside of the pan. So there's not 100% contact.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
What do you put on those Japanese pork cutlet sandwiches besides a pork cutlet?

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

BraveUlysses posted:

Alternatively, thermapen is doing a 15% off sale right now, with a free IR thermometer with an order of $99 before the discount.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I'm a newbie trying to add some veggies to his diet. Today I diced some mushrooms, green bell peppers, onions, and tomatoes and added them to my usual scrambled eggs and cheese, but there is a bunch left over. Can I pre-dice everything and store them in the fridge so that I don't have to bother doing it every breakfast? If so, what is the best way to store them?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Stout mustard recipe?

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Oodles posted:

Anyone give advice on an induction hobs? I've just got one after years of using Gas and Electric.

Trying to figure out what are decent pans for induction, the ones that say they're multipurpose tend not to be so great for induction as they've got a raised bit in the middle on the underside of the pan. So there's not 100% contact.

Anything ferric should work - if a magnet sticks to it, it should be ok. I recently replaced my gas range with an induction one, and I didn't have to replace much. My all-clad stainless, my carbon steel pans, my enameled cast iron Dutch ovens, my stock pot all were fine. My inexpensive non-stick pans (Oneida brand, I think) also work fine. I did have to replace my non-stick sauce pans, but they were due to be replaced anyway. I ended up buying a 10-piece set from Amazon and they work great as well.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I was in a hurry as I worked my way through my shopping list, including two pounds of hamburger. Of course, it turned out that haste makes waste and what I actually grabbed was two pounds of ground lamb.

That was unfortunate, but I'm not about to throw it out. I have no clue what to do with lamb, but after a little googling I'm thinking Gyros. I'm sure I can find a recipe, but does anyone have any recommendations (doesn't have to be gyros)? Or advice, and so on. What should I do with the Gyro? I vaguely recall they're traditionally served with pita bread and some sort of sauce, but that's about the limit of my experience with Greek food.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
^^^Make these

http://www.meatwave.com/blog/grilled-mini-gyro-burgers-with-tzatziki-and-pickled-peperoncini-recipe

UnfurledSails posted:

I'm a newbie trying to add some veggies to his diet. Today I diced some mushrooms, green bell peppers, onions, and tomatoes and added them to my usual scrambled eggs and cheese, but there is a bunch left over. Can I pre-dice everything and store them in the fridge so that I don't have to bother doing it every breakfast? If so, what is the best way to store them?

Yes you can keep them in the fridge in a Tupperware for several days but probably not a whole week before quality will suffer.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Bremen posted:

I was in a hurry as I worked my way through my shopping list, including two pounds of hamburger. Of course, it turned out that haste makes waste and what I actually grabbed was two pounds of ground lamb.

That was unfortunate, but I'm not about to throw it out. I have no clue what to do with lamb, but after a little googling I'm thinking Gyros. I'm sure I can find a recipe, but does anyone have any recommendations (doesn't have to be gyros)? Or advice, and so on. What should I do with the Gyro? I vaguely recall they're traditionally served with pita bread and some sort of sauce, but that's about the limit of my experience with Greek food.

You can use the lamb much like you would beef, it obviously tastes different but almost anything that would pair well with beef will also work well with lamb.

As far as Gyros go you want some shredded leafy greens like lettuce, tomatoes and Tzatziki sauce.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Bremen posted:

If you want that bouncy, crispy gyro texture, there's no better method than J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Bremen posted:

Make Kofte.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I use ground lamb in place of beef most of the time anyway, since it's what I have ready access to. It's great - just use it for burgers or in meatloaf or to make meatballs or something. It's much better than beef, I think.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Hum. I'd done a google search on just using it instead of ground beef but most of the results said it had a much stronger flavor, which turned me off.

Thanks everyone for the recipe suggestions!

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

UnfurledSails posted:

If the tomatoes are cut up I would recommend storing them separately, or putting them on top of paper towels. They make anything they touch go soggy

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I use ground lamb in place of beef most of the time anyway, since it's what I have ready access to. It's great - just use it for burgers or in meatloaf or to make meatballs or something. It's much better than beef, I think.

What magical land is this? Lamb here costs so much and the lack of lamb in my life makes me sad.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Bremen posted:

Hum. I'd done a google search on just using it instead of ground beef but most of the results said it had a much stronger flavor, which turned me off.

Lamb will taste strongly of lamb, yes. Now personally I love lamb and, as Mr. Wiggles, generally prefer it to beef, but some (very weird) people tend to dislike the lamb flavor, so it's not really a straightforward substitute for beef.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Speaking of ground meat, I made some beef meatballs a couple weeks ago, but ground beef is expensive. It's going to be going in potato soup with milk for the base. Carrots and spinach will be in there as well. It's going to be seasoned with salt, garlic, onion, and thyme.

What cheaper meat would work? I think I want the texture of ground meat rather than something like chunks of chicken thighs.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Speaking of ground meat, I made some beef meatballs a couple weeks ago, but ground beef is expensive. It's going to be going in potato soup with milk for the base. Carrots and spinach will be in there as well. It's going to be seasoned with salt, garlic, onion, and thyme.

What cheaper meat would work? I think I want the texture of ground meat rather than something like chunks of chicken thighs.

Cheaper than ground beef? Your local house pet

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Ground pork is usually pretty cheap, as is ground turkey. They both have pretty neutral flavored too, and would work well in such a soup.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Do you have a meat grinder?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

No, I do not. Otherwise I would just grind up some chicken thighs.

I'll check out turkey, I think the store by me has some for pretty cheap.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Gonna be making a slab of ribs Wednesday, and I'm looking for a side to go with it. Catch is I'm looking for something that can be eaten without utensils - because you're already stuffing your face with slobbery juicy ribs and why stop to wipe your hands to use a fork? There's the obvious corn on the cob, but this is a payback dinner for a friend doing me a favor, so something a little unusual or special would be nifty.

e: VVV Yeah, I think cornbread in the cast iron is happening. I'm thinking some vegetable-y thing so it's got some balance.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 6, 2016

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
cornbread

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Twice baked potatoes I think would work, if you get small-ish potatoes so they can be handheld.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Roast carrots with a complimentary glaze. Grilled spring onions.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

SubponticatePoster posted:

I'm thinking some vegetable-y thing so it's got some balance

hmm okay. So with the starchy side covered by the cornbread, stuff like the ^^^roast carrots^^^ is good. I know you mentioned it, but maybe half-cobs of corn roasted on he bbq in-husk would be good too. Asparagus spears are definitely a finger-food. Maybe cauliflower/broccoli? To be honest though, I don't tend to worry too much about veggies when I'm at a bbq eating wtih my hands.

e: veggie skewers

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think the main goal has to be contrasting the rich, heavy, greasy meat. If you want it to be finger food, I would just go with crudités tbh. If you want a fancier version, you could do some kind of veggie spring rolls in lettuce or romaine leaves maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Maybe all-veggie shish kebabs? Some grilled onions/peppers/tomatoes/etc would go nice against the rest.