Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I remember when Project Needlemouse was first revealed as Sonic 4 and everyone was all 'holy poo poo Sonic is BACK you guys'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Detractors are already treating Mania in the same way tbh

I mean they're going to be wrong but I guess if you don't really care that much about cartoon animals you could see a pattern

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
They're going to be wrong and have been wrong multiple times at this point because of Colours and Generations and yet everyone will scream Sonic cycle when the next game is announced.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

A whole two good games and they weren't even the most recent two.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'm not really sure why Lost World needed to be bad in the way it is.

I'm not done it yet though, what is the generally regarded best level of the game?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The snowball level seems to get people talking.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Dabir posted:

A whole two good games and they weren't even the most recent two.

Yeah but we all knew that Lost world and Boom looked like utter dross when we saw them.

The Sonic cycle is meant to be people being hopeful that a game will be good and then having their hopes and dreams crushed. That hasn't existed since Unleashed.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
People expected Lost World to be good and in the hands of an experienced player it still looks like it should be fun, which is more than can be said for the typical bad Sonic game.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah but the fun is hidden behind a layer of poorly implemented and poorly explained spindash and parkour mechanics, which is really baffling.

I mean I finished it, and had some sort of fun in the meantime, but all the time there was this uneasiness in the back of my head going "am I even playing the game correctly?".

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I think of Lost World as sort of what Extreme would've been like. I don't think Extreme would've been particularly good if it were finished, either.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

I remember when Project Needlemouse was first revealed as Sonic 4 and everyone was all 'holy poo poo Sonic is BACK you guys'

as soon as they revealed that dimps was behind it i lost all excitement instantly

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pureauthor posted:

i think many of us assumed they would be going the mega man 9 and 10 route instead of what they did. at least they're FINALLY doing that.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I never hated how either version of Sonic 4 looked and I think Episode 2 actually looks pretty good for a 2.5D game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I never hated how either version of Sonic 4 looked and I think Episode 2 actually looks pretty good for a 2.5D game.

I personally thought Sonic 4 Episode 2 was somewhat better than the first one, it had a bit more originality going for it at any rate (though that's not saying much and for what it fixed it did introduce it's fair share of new problems as well).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 5, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Lost World is just kind of aggressively mediocre. They tried to change the formula when it didn't really need changing and put more emphasis on platforming at the expense of speed and felt like a weird Mario Galaxy clone than a Sonic game.

Like, yeah it's a bad Sonic game but I don't get why some people put it on the same pedestal as Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 06 or Sonic Boom. Those games are irredeemably bad, Lost World is just kind of a confused but technically competent game.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

2.5D like that almost always looks bad. at least it's not ducktales 2.5D i guess.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Lost World was really really pretty with tons of promise but imo the game couldn't deliver on anything and the controls went at best poorly explained at worst completely unexplained and the game just felt very sloppy and janky to play, which is saying something for a modern 3d sonic game. It also had the #1 limpest final boss fight I've played in any game in years. Left a total bad taste in my mouth.

I will say though I loved absolutely everything about this level:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxBi5GdnJ7w&t=6s

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Every Sonic game after Sonic & Knuckles is really bad, generations included.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Happy labor day, everyone. While thinking critically about Sonic Mania on my run this morning my mind went wild hoping that Sonic Maniac isn't >50% reimagined old world content. I'll explain. I I fear it will send SEGA the wrong idea if most of their most critically accepted Sonic games in the last 5 years are all throwback games.

Of course one might say that Sonic 4 and Sonic Colors send the exact opposite message (one is an abortion of a throwback that everyone hated, the other is an amazing breath of fresh air with all new content), but you all know how stubborn japanese game developers can be when it comes to handling consumer feedback and knowing where to go with each success. What do you think?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Overbite posted:

you are correct but i'm probably the only one here that'd agree with you.

beep by grandpa posted:

Happy labor day, everyone. While thinking critically about Sonic Mania on my run this morning my mind went wild hoping that Sonic Maniac isn't >50% reimagined old world content. I'll explain. I I fear it will send SEGA the wrong idea if most of their most critically accepted Sonic games in the last 5 years are all throwback games.

the only thing that bummed me out about the announcement was that it wasn't going to be 100 percent a new game.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Larryb posted:

I personally thought Sonic 4 Episode 2 was somewhat better than the first one, it had a bit more originality going for it at any rate (though that's not saying much and for what it fixed it did introduce it's fair share of new problems as well).

Yeah, I replayed them both after the humble bundle and after spending all of the first episode dealing with regurgitated stages and bosses the fakeout at the start of the first episode 2 boss was really well done. Shame it was all downhill from there.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Groovelord Neato posted:

the only thing that bummed me out about the announcement was that it wasn't going to be 100 percent a new game.
My big bummer with this is they always seem to go back to the levels that "everyone remembers" so it's just like first levels and poo poo

A remix of Energy Plant from Heroes, or Hydrocity from Sonic 3, or Oil Ocean from Sonic 2... Awesome! A remake of ye old green/er/est hills (but not angel island) is just groan.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

but you all know how stubborn japanese game developers can be when it comes to handling consumer feedback and knowing where to go with each success. What do you think?

I'm pretty sure Japanese developers don't give a poo poo what Americans want because they hate everyone that isn't Japanese.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Great Beer posted:

I'm pretty sure Japanese developers don't give a poo poo what Americans want because they hate everyone that isn't Japanese.

Square did a bunch of focus testing for FF13-2 and all they learned is that Americans love QTEs.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Spiderdrake posted:

A remix of Energy Plant from Heroes, or Hydrocity from Sonic 3, or Oil Ocean from Sonic 2... Awesome! A remake of ye old green/er/est hills (but not angel island) is just groan.

angel island IS the green hill zone of that game tho.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Great Beer posted:

Yeah. There's a bizarre number of doujin developers that actively do not want filthy gaijin money and refuse to sell to Westerners, even with shipping covered, last I looked into it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Spiderdrake posted:

I'm not really sure why Lost World needed to be bad in the way it is.

I'm not done it yet though, what is the generally regarded best level of the game?

It had good ideas but clearly had way too many designers who wanted to put different things in the game. The level design is totally all over the place, the game uses momentum for Sonic's movement except for when it doesn't, the wisps are in there with no explanation whatsoever, it's a mess.

The best level without a doubt is Sky Road Act 2.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Overbite posted:

I can accept this opinion if you agree that some of them are more or less bad than others.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Groovelord Neato posted:

you are correct but i'm probably the only one here that'd agree with you.

I also agree, sonic after the Genesis era is terrible.

Even some of the Genesis era is bad (spinball)

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
Is that the level with the donkey Kong country minecart section with the very hosed up physics?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Amppelix posted:

I can accept this opinion if you agree that some of them are more or less bad than others.

this is also true. colors and generations are both much better than most other 3d sonics but i think people only think they're good due to having sega poo poo down their gullets for so long.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I also agree, sonic after the Genesis era is terrible.

Even some of the Genesis era is bad (spinball)

yeah the only good thing out of spinball is the toxic caves music.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I enjoyed Lost World though. It was basically Super ~Mario~ Sonic Galaxy and it was gorgeous and had lovely music and was a joy to play in my opinion.

I have to maintain my reputation as an aggressively positive poster about games. I also enjoyed Unleashed for the record.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah I really don't get the colour powers in SLW. They just pop up at confusing random.

Groovelord Neato posted:

angel island IS the green hill zone of that game tho.
Yeah? That's what I said. It's a shame they don't use the hottest opening level of the 2d Sonics. Too much dedication to way past cool.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Great Beer posted:

we're in a thread for a game where they decided to just hand the franchise off to american fans :confused:

and many major japanese publishers have been trying to chase western design trends and tastes, which is why you have more open world games and IPs handed off to western developers.

Motto fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 5, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Overbite posted:

Every Sonic game after Sonic & Knuckles is really bad except several of them which own real hard

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah the only good thing out of spinball is the toxic caves music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bvdUDijlCc

It's a remix, but the original had to have existed to be remixed later, so q.e.d.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Every Sonic game after Sonic & Knuckles is really bad except several of them which own real hard

i can accept someone liking them but absolutely none of them "own real hard".

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Groovelord Neato posted:

i can accept someone liking them but absolutely none of them "own real hard".

Sonic Colors. :colbert:

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
colours and generations are objectively good games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

Good games, maybe.

Good Sonic games, certainly not.