Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Ok, some views on my new Acer XB271HU:

Games: Color and contrast are very good and really make games look vivid and detailed compared to my old 1920x1200 monitor. Games are very smooth, regardless of what was going on on screen it felt very fluid and low frame rates did not bother nearly as much as they would have on my old monitor. 2560x1440 is not 4k but I am seeing a lot more detail than I could on my old monitor, it really is a step up in every way from 1080p/1200p 60Hz monitors.
What's your experience with the GSync? Have you tried turning it on and off for an A/B test? Does it make a big difference if you are already at a high (>60fps) frame rate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I was pretty lucky and got a flawless XB270HU after an RMA a year ago. Playing games or even browsing the web at 120hz with ULMB is unmatched by anything else. Visual Studio not having any kind of smooth scrolling is the only reason I could think of to use a 4k 60hz monitor instead.

By the way does anyone else play games at night with full brightness settings, minimize their game, and then have their eyes melted by a white webpage? If so, have anyone found a solution to that problem other than lowering the brightness on the monitor manually every time?

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I'm looking for a good 27" IPS monitor to complement my XB271HU. So far I like the Dell U2715H and Asus MX27AQ. Are there differences in image quality between the two?

I like the Asus because the ports are easily reachable, but it needs an adapter to be VESA mounted. The Dell has harder to reach ports but that'll only be a problem when I first set it up...

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Mercrom posted:

I was pretty lucky and got a flawless XB270HU after an RMA a year ago. Playing games or even browsing the web at 120hz with ULMB is unmatched by anything else. Visual Studio not having any kind of smooth scrolling is the only reason I could think of to use a 4k 60hz monitor instead.

By the way does anyone else play games at night with full brightness settings, minimize their game, and then have their eyes melted by a white webpage? If so, have anyone found a solution to that problem other than lowering the brightness on the monitor manually every time?

Get better lightbulbs and install some bias lighting. You probably don't want to be on full brightness anyway. A lot of monitors are capable of insane brightness (because it's a big number to put on their spec sheets), and you really should be running them around 80% brightness.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

betamax hipster posted:

Get better lightbulbs and install some bias lighting. You probably don't want to be on full brightness anyway. A lot of monitors are capable of insane brightness (because it's a big number to put on their spec sheets), and you really should be running them around 80% brightness.
Some darker games where the high contrast elements are smaller look really good at high brightness levels though.

Anyway I found an old program called DimScreen that dims the desktop on the primary monitor but doesn't affect fullscreen games. It works great for checking guides and stuff.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What's your experience with the GSync? Have you tried turning it on and off for an A/B test? Does it make a big difference if you are already at a high (>60fps) frame rate?

So I got a chance to test this a bit and Gsync definitely made a pretty big difference, without it there is very noticeable tearing and if you enable vsync to counter that then frame rate variability is way more noticeable. it's really the best of both worlds, no tearing and very smooth. I tried some lower spec games that could run at high frame rates and newer games that ran at lower frame rates and it made a pretty big difference regardless. It also really helps the 970 to hold up a lot better than I thought it would in newer games, I still want a 1070 but I don't feel like it will be nearly as much of a pain to wait for xmas for it.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Ok, some views on my new Acer XB271HU:

Desktop use: This monitor is pretty amazing on the desktop, sharpness and image clarity are very good, colors really pop and from what I have been able to test the factory calibration is very good. You really only need to turn down the brightness to a reasonable level, 25-35 or so seems to be a pretty good choice for me but how much ambient light you have is a huge factor here so adjust based on that. I was also worried that the larger resolution would make desktop elements and text feel too small but because of the very sharp image everything feels fine.

Games: Color and contrast are very good and really make games look vivid and detailed compared to my old 1920x1200 monitor. Games are very smooth, regardless of what was going on on screen it felt very fluid and low frame rates did not bother nearly as much as they would have on my old monitor. 2560x1440 is not 4k but I am seeing a lot more detail than I could on my old monitor, it really is a step up in every way from 1080p/1200p 60Hz monitors.

Other notes: The OSD is terrible, Acer seriously needs to hire someone who knows how to design an interface, options are scattered in an unorganized clutter that makes finding the option you want to adjust a annoying PITA. The aesthetics of the monitor are not nearly as bad as I thought, the red "wings" on the stand are very muted in color, the Predator logo just sort of fades into the lower bezel and the aesthetics otherwise are inoffensive if a bit on the gamer-y side of things, also kudos on Acer using such a nice matte plastic instead of the awful piano black stuff. The stand is very sturdy and easy to adjust, not too stiff but it does not bounce around either.

At this point I'm just waiting for a longer DP cable I ordered since the one it came with is too short for my setup, I've had to turn my tower in a weird direction so I could plug it in but other than that very minor complaint and the OSD stuff I'm really happy with the monitor.

Sounds good to me! I'll ask this question to you all before I pull the trigger: I'm going to buy it through Amazon (their CS has always been really good in the past, unlike Newegg *grumble*), is it worth it to buy the extended warranty, or is that just wasted money? I'm not planning on being stupid with the monitor, but I do appreciate having extra protection if it's deemed necessary.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

FeralWraith posted:

Sounds good to me! I'll ask this question to you all before I pull the trigger: I'm going to buy it through Amazon (their CS has always been really good in the past, unlike Newegg *grumble*), is it worth it to buy the extended warranty, or is that just wasted money? I'm not planning on being stupid with the monitor, but I do appreciate having extra protection if it's deemed necessary.

It already comes with a 3 year warranty, the plan I saw is a 3 year protection plain covering damage you inflict on the monitor yourself. My Amex already gives me an expanded warranty automatically so it was a waste for me but it might not be for you.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
So I ended up getting the XB270HU yesterday and I am really happy. Looks like I won the lottery with the panel, no bad pixels and very minimal BLB. I will be happy with this until either get a bigger desk and can add a X43p when/if it comes out and/or get as good of a deal on a XB271HU.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Holy poo poo. I don't know why exactly but the X34 just blows away the XB270HU. I don't play any games that are high twitchy (Just LoL and WoW) so the need for 144hz all the time is not needed. But the extra space and goodness of the X34 is just so good. If anyone is on the fence between the 27" and 34" ultrawides and you have the space for it, jump on the X34. It is just blowing my mind. And now I get to go to work.

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe
I have had a PG279Q for about 10 months, but I've got to confess I've barely used it due to work.

I've been using it a lot over the past week, and I noticed some dark "smudges" in the top left of the screen. They only show on lighter backgrounds. They're not dirt or damage to the screen. It's just like a few patches of pixels with discolouration. Is that a backlight problem?

I also noticed two stuck pixels on the right hand side. Yes, I am a moron for not checking all of this earlier. I've submitted an RMA request, and they're sending a new monitor... I'm just curious as to what the dots could be.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
The LG 34UM95-C is a really well-regarded monitor, right? Just a bit old? An eBay seller has them new for $500.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

That's a very good price for a good screen. It's flat though, which does get a bit weird at the corners. I don't regret getting the one I got even though I sold it to my boss eventually.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Amazon has the newer model with Freesync new for $573 though, I'd say that's the better deal. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CDYB5CW/

Ample
Dec 26, 2007
Well it's been 6 years since my last upgrade and I feel out of the loop. Can someone help recommend a monitor? Here is what I'm specifically looking for:

Budget: $300.00~
Use: mostly gaming / minor coding / general use
144 hertz
Size: 23 - 24 inch
1080p - (I'm purchasing a gtx 1070)
panel: I'm assuming that with my budget I'm reserved to a TN. Are there certain brands that have better color accuracy than others?

Any help or direction is hugely appreciated. I could probably squeeze another $100.00 if there is a huge performance upgrade.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

So I think I can scrape enough money together to buy the XB271HU. Is there a definitive checklist to run through to make sure the display is in tip-top condition when I get it?

I also took a look at the calibration section of the OP, is that all still relevant?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ample posted:

Well it's been 6 years since my last upgrade and I feel out of the loop. Can someone help recommend a monitor? Here is what I'm specifically looking for:

Budget: $300.00~
144 hertz
1080p - (I'm purchasing a gtx 1070)
panel: I'm assuming that with my budget I'm reserved to a TN. Are there certain brands that have better color accuracy than others?

Any help or direction is hugely appreciated. I could probably squeeze another $100.00 if there is a huge performance upgrade.

Well, the budget does limit you but no one makes a 1080p IPS Gsync screen anyway so you'd be limited to TN regardless. The only TN screen with Gsync that I know of that has been lauded for having very good color for a TN is the Dell one, but that is 1440p and $500. Also even the cheapo 1080p TN Gsync screens are like $380 new, your best bet is probably a refurbished Acer XB241H for $350. I will note that the 1070 is a fine card for 1440p if you want to move up, the extra screen space is really nice.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
What do people like for monitor arms? I've been thinking about getting the AmazonBasics dual stand for my Dell U2415s

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

beepsandboops posted:

What do people like for monitor arms? I've been thinking about getting the AmazonBasics dual stand for my Dell U2415s

I don't own a monitor arm but I have heard good things about the Amazon Basics ones.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Anyone with a XB271HU who isn't using the monitor stand anymore be willing to get rid of it? The hockey puck on the 270 is awful.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I also took a look at the calibration section of the OP, is that all still relevant?
If you're talking about the basic/free calibration information, then mostly, although it looks like it's missing specifics for basic test patterns and related things. (edit: Actually, that http://tft.vanity.dk is mentioned, which might work as well. Didn't check it fully, though, so I don't know.) I haven't used any of them in a while, but you can probably still use lagom.nl for basic settings. Without an instrument, you're just eyeballing things as best as you can. For actual instrument-based calibration and profiling, anything in the OPs regarding colorimeters is outdated.

some dillweed fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 6, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is it even possible to get over 60Hz, IPS, and Gsync under 400?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

PerrineClostermann posted:

No.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

PerrineClostermann posted:

Scratch-and-dent refurb XB270HU. Paid $290.

Or you can get a regular XB270HU refurb for $450, and wait for a 10% off coupon on acerrecertified, gets you down to $405.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 6, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Paul MaudDib posted:

Scratch-and-dent refurb XB270HU. Paid $290.

Or you can get a regular XB270HU refurb for $450, and wait for a 10% off coupon on acerrecertified, gets you down to $405.

I have a major aversion to refurbished electronics but I may spring $290 for that one. Do you just watch their website or something for this?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I have a major aversion to refurbished electronics but I may spring $290 for that one. Do you just watch their website or something for this?

Looks like there's one on their ebay store for $300 (I just happened to see this on reddit)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-LCD-Widescreen-Monitor-27-Display-WQHD-Screen-Free-Sync-1-ms-LED-/272338042805?hash=item3f689cbfb5

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

That's the TN version.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Is the Dell S2716DG a good monitor? http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=210-AGJR

I'm just sorta getting back into FPS gaming and looking for 144hz, 1440 resolution, and 27 inch. Does Gsync matter? Budget is open, but I'd rather not break the bank if I can. There's so much information to catch up on and I'm looking for someone to point me in the right direction.

Also, am I going to need a beefier video card for this monitor? Currently rocking a GTX 760 from a loooong time ago and don't mind upgrading that as well.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

poemdexter posted:

Is the Dell S2716DG a good monitor? http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=210-AGJR

I'm just sorta getting back into FPS gaming and looking for 144hz, 1440 resolution, and 27 inch. Does Gsync matter? Budget is open, but I'd rather not break the bank if I can. There's so much information to catch up on and I'm looking for someone to point me in the right direction.

Also, am I going to need a beefier video card for this monitor? Currently rocking a GTX 760 from a loooong time ago and don't mind upgrading that as well.

It's good for a TN monitor, but I'd recommend the Acer XB271HU instead since it has an IPS screen which is far better. And yeah, you will want a new video card, a GTX 1070 or 1080 is ideal but a 1060 6GB will still be pretty decent.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I'm in pretty much the same boat as a lot of people on here; I ordered a 1070 laptop and want to get something better than the cheapest possible 1080p screen I have right now. I've been looking for a 1440p 144hz monitor that'll work well for Overwatch/in general, and it looks like the Acer XB271HU is pretty much the default recommendation.

e: Realized this was probably a dumb question. Googling more, if I just use a display port to mini display port adapter, will that just work fine for the max refresh rate?

foutre fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 6, 2016

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

foutre posted:

I'm in pretty much the same boat as a lot of people on here; I ordered a 1070 laptop and want to get something better than the cheapest possible 1080p screen I have right now. I've been looking for a 1440p 144hz monitor that'll work well for Overwatch/in general, and it looks like the Acer XB271HU is pretty much the default recommendation.

e: Realized this was probably a dumb question. Googling more, if I just use a display port to mini display port adapter, will that just work fine for the max refresh rate?

They're electrically the same, just a different connector. Go wild!

Ample
Dec 26, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Well, the budget does limit you but no one makes a 1080p IPS Gsync screen anyway so you'd be limited to TN regardless. The only TN screen with Gsync that I know of that has been lauded for having very good color for a TN is the Dell one, but that is 1440p and $500. Also even the cheapo 1080p TN Gsync screens are like $380 new, your best bet is probably a refurbished Acer XB241H for $350. I will note that the 1070 is a fine card for 1440p if you want to move up, the extra screen space is really nice.

Thanks for the reply! Are you referring to the the Dell Gaming S2716DG 27.0"? I unfortunately do not have the desk real estate for 27 inches. The acer monitor spec wise seems to be more to my specifications but its too loud and gamer like for where I was planning to have it. A friend suggested the BenQ XL2411Z . Does anyone have any experience with that? I plan to use this monitor for hopefully 4 years minimum.

Again just for reference here is what I am looking to work with:
Budget: $300.00~$400.00
144 hertz
1080p - higher? (I'm purchasing a gtx 1070)

Edit: I guess the downside to this monitor is that it does not have Gsync? Is that feature really worth another $150.00 minimum?

Ample fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 6, 2016

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Youre not going to have a hard time maintaining 144hz playing Overwatch with a 1070. Its actually recommended to turn down a lot of settings anyway because some of the effects and reflections are distracting for competitive play. The only things I max out are textures/texture filtering/model detail and AA. Everything else is turned to low and I get consistent 144hz playing on 2560 x 1440. A 1070 is much more powerful than a 390x.

You dont need gsync if you can maintain max refresh. If youre playing other games gsync is nice but not completely necessary having 144hz is more beneficial. A 1070 will get more than >100 fps at 1080 in 90% of games.

Just save your cash and get a 144hz monitor without it.

Edit: Woops forgot to quote both posts

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 7, 2016

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I'm kind of curious if gsync is worth it myself, as with my 970 I get at least 120+ fps offhand and that's at 1440 resolution in Overwatch on Medium settings and fast sync works pretty drat well as it is. While it's doubtful I'll be able to come up with $300 or so for a 144hz monitor anytime soon, my eyes are open for good deals just in case I come across something I can snatch for a good price. Would I regret it if I nabbed an otherwise decent 1080 144hz without gsync?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any chance Nvidia is going to give up on it? I generally prefer Nvidia, but Gsync is such an insane premium that when you're shopping for monitors you might think, "well, gently caress, I could buy a state of the art new Radeon and the Freesync version of this display and come out ahead here."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I was thinking about that too, except the current state of the art Radeon is so weak

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was thinking about that too, except the current state of the art Radeon is so weak

And nearly impossible to buy at a decent price.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

cbirdsong posted:

Is there any chance Nvidia is going to give up on it?

Not in the near future, no. For one thing, as has been said, NVidia leads the top-end performance crowns easily, which results in a lot more mid-level sales even if it shouldn't. Another note is that GSync is still technically superior to FreeSync, so it's not like it's a straight apples-to-apples comparison. And finally, people seem willing enough to pay the premium in a lot of cases, so until they start having problems moving monitors, I doubt there'll be any impetus for NVidia to relent.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
I'm arriving at my wits end searching for HDTV's with built-in bluetooth audio capability. I have found a few, but almost all are Samsung smart TV's so you pay a premium for buggy apps, plus practically none are on sale regularly so you have to buy refurbished/used. I'm considering just finding a good regular HDTV and hooking analog/digital audio out to a bluetooth transmitter but I worry about the sound sync - the reason I invested time in this search to begin with. Wondering if anyone has any ideas, or experience with bluetooth audio transmitters on TV and sync issues.

I'm also shopping for monitors, and to TL;DR a lot of research, am strongly leaning in the WQHD IPS HighRefresh direction of a lot of other goons. Best overall improvement, maxes out my hardware, text on nonadjustable apps still convenient without special scaling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ample posted:

Thanks for the reply! Are you referring to the the Dell Gaming S2716DG 27.0"? I unfortunately do not have the desk real estate for 27 inches. The acer monitor spec wise seems to be more to my specifications but its too loud and gamer like for where I was planning to have it. A friend suggested the BenQ XL2411Z . Does anyone have any experience with that? I plan to use this monitor for hopefully 4 years minimum.

Again just for reference here is what I am looking to work with:
Budget: $300.00~$400.00
144 hertz
1080p - higher? (I'm purchasing a gtx 1070)

Edit: I guess the downside to this monitor is that it does not have Gsync? Is that feature really worth another $150.00 minimum?

I think Gsync is worth it because it eliminates tearing and avoids the large frame rate drops you would get from using vsync to eliminate tearing instead. Basically it makes games that might otherwise be unplayable because of stuttering frame rates playable without having to deal with tearing. I recently moved from a 60Hz 1920x1200 monitor to the Acer XB271HU which is 2560x1440 & 144Hz and has Gsync and in spite of having so much more to render my GTX 970 feels very smooth even when it dips down into the 40 FPS range, in fact bouncing between 40 and 60 FPS feels like a solid 60 FPS did on my old monitor. As far as aesthetics goes they are far more muted than I thought they would be, the metal "wings" on the stand are a very dull burgundy red and the dumb "Predator" logo sort of fades into the bezel, I think the pictures make it look much louder because of bright studio lights or something.