Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aterdux
Jun 8, 2012

On the way to Eisenwald

Tagichatn posted:

Sounds good, I backed it albeit mostly for the original LoE. Kickstarter has been great for turn-based tactical RPGs although I'm curious to see how Blood of November turns out as a sandbox adventure game.
Thank you! Despite some critique we got LoE has turned out pretty good, story is probably the strongest point but who is looking for a story in an indie RPG... We are also curious how it turns out as a sandbox, I personally always wanted to try, so that's an experiment. Lower price and not story driven might attract a few more people to the game and hopefully to Kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

swamp waste posted:

How do you feel about this as a more explanatory trailer for Lonely Star?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_E3oPgZ3Co

It's still a work in progress; i think the Movie Maker titles maybe look kind of cheap, and if I were gonna take another run at Kickstarter I'd consider adding a "hey guys this is me talking in a jargony way about what you're looking at here" voiceover section. But for now, to anyone who found the first trailer sloppy or bewildering, you think this is on the right track?

Here's a few comments:

1. Is there a way to get rid of the mouse cursor from the game in the videos you capture? For a while, I thought it was some error or some artifact from Movie Maker, but it turned out to be from the game. It just draws attention to something that shouldn't be there.

2. It might be nice to try and match things up with the music a little bit more. Like, what you have with the first title matching on the beat is really good. But it feels like the clips and the music aren't really tied together at all, like the music is just sort of there so the video isn't silent.

Also, on that note, the transition around 1:26 into the video is really sloppily done. It just kind of stops and switches.

3. I think some of the shots from the game are really confusing, and it can be hard to tell what you're looking at. I felt this way from your previous campaign as well, where the gifs could be a little confusing.

It's tough to explain why this is, but I think you have some unique challenges. Your game has a very dense and unique style to its graphics, so it can be hard to parse out who is who. There were a few gifs from before where I didn't know what I was supposed to be following. The other thing too is that it looks like stealth plays a big part in the game, and so you use a lot of darkness. It really seems like the kind of thing where if I were playing the game, I'd be able to follow it, but it's very disorienting when you're showing clips.

Here's an article someone linked to before in this thread that might help: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/BundyKim/20160707/276365/Marketing_in_Motion_A_Year_of_Making_Gifs.php

4. Is your logo cut off at the end?

I think it would be better to sort of explain more about the world that the game operates in. You have something really intriguing here, and I think if you focused more on that than combat, stealth, and survival (obviously, you need the corn magic), I think you might get people more interested. That's really the hook and that's what got me interested. As I was watching your video, I felt like your art design and the little crumbs you dropped about the world was where I wanted to know more. I wanted to explore this world, and I think if you give me more, you'll make me more excited for the game.

So yeah, I don't think your trailer is heading in the right direction, but you have an interesting product, and you just need to find the right angle.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

swamp waste posted:

It's still a work in progress; i think the Movie Maker titles maybe look kind of cheap, and if I were gonna take another run at Kickstarter I'd consider adding a "hey guys this is me talking in a jargony way about what you're looking at here" voiceover section. But for now, to anyone who found the first trailer sloppy or bewildering, you think this is on the right track?

Here's some words:

I really dig the trailer's concept / feel, I think it's a good match for your game's content. Your intro titles are very nice, that's a good font and they remind me of... I want to say Cowboy Bebop? Feels nicely stylish and impactful + fitting for your audio.

The rest of the titles could definitely use some work as you noted. I'd recommend using a more organic font, probably handwritingy while erring towards readability. In your footage you have a lot of space where action isn't happening, your titles should be filling that space so they're not only huge and visible but creating a frame for your game content. Both they and your footage should be timed to audio beats, this really important for creating a pleasing flow.

You definitely should be zooming in on action. This will not only make the focus of your clips more obvious and visible, but also allow you to further punctuate audio beats by varying the zoom level and crop between shots.

I agree with Cemetry Gator that the cursor is distracting, probably the worst example of this is your skeletons clip. It should be disabled when you capture footage, as should the UI so you have increased flexibility with your crops and zoom. I definitely think it's good to have some clips that aren't cropped or zoomed though, and these could include the UI and cursor and would probably be focused on action taking up most of the screen and projectile aiming.

Personally I think it's a good idea to include game audio for sound effects in your footage. Often times I'll use them as beats / cues for editing to overlayed music. They can help clarify the action that's happening which is nice. If you don't include sound effects, I think your beat editing has to be very good. At that point your music track and its timing is carrying the entire video acoustically.

I actually like the transition at 1:26, the audio cut and switch works to build a 'oh there's some dark, strange stuff going down' vibe. Might be better to have that 'swoosh' sound start a little earlier so it overlaps the previous audio and is selling that transition. However I think by having a cut during that new audio you reduce its effectiveness. I'm not sure what's going on in the first clip, but the second one I can clearly see some spookiness so I'd recommend sticking with a longer version of that second one if you can. It might even be worth actually extending that sequence in game to give it some visual diversity. IE, beginning with the character crouched by a fire, it goes out, and leads into that sliding downwards into darkness concept.

I think increasing the length of that audio fade and fade to black after that sequence and making the 'dun dun dun' intro bit play a little earlier so you don't get a moment of silence would feel better, alternatively having a slightly longer silence would also probably work.

You absolutely want to have your game title at 1:36 start at that size or a little bigger and slowly zoom out, that'll feel very natural for your stinger. 1:40's beat is probably when you want to move on from it. In general please don't have your title / logo that large, in the video it looks a little cut off, on your youtube channel it reads as ONEL> 3TAR because of the white background blending in with the letter edges.

Taking a quick look at your previous trailer you have some real evocative visuals and areas that I think you definitely want to include. I actually dig that previous trailer a lot, it's quickly cut with some nice editing to beats and a lot of visual diversity. Its crescendo into psychosis is a lot punchier and exciting to me. I'd recommend taking the original trailer's pacing and two audio track concept and adding the second video's text overlays and end title stinger.

If at all possible try to end up with a 1080P video, it'll look much crisper on youtube. Your visuals, especially the clouds and dithering, are getting a lot of quality loss and ending up murky.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Sigma-X posted:

I didn't realize you were a survival game, I thought you were more legend of zelda ish.

I think the game looks really cool but as soon as I saw the HUNT GATHER SURVIVE stuff I basically lost interest :( I don't know how major part of the game it is but survival games in general are the worst

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
AdventureX, a London-based con for adventure fans and developers is doing a Kickstarter. You don't really get anything for backing them, but the money will go to, like, properly recording all the panels/masterclasses by all your favorite adventure devs and so forth and paying for more interesting speakers' travel expenses, so if you're interested in those, throw them a buck or two. They're at £2000/£2500 with 27 days to go, so they'll be alright even if you don't, but still.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Megazver posted:

AdventureX, a London-based con for adventure fans and developers is doing a Kickstarter. You don't really get anything for backing them, but the money will go to, like, properly recording all the panels/masterclasses by all your favorite adventure devs and so forth and paying for more interesting speakers' travel expenses, so if you're interested in those, throw them a buck or two. They're at £2000/£2500 with 27 days to go, so they'll be alright even if you don't, but still.

Really want to make it there this year, though chances are I won't. Kicked a few bucks their way anyway.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Thanks! That helps a lot.

What do you think about the visual clarity of that first combat scene, the one that starts at :08? That is one of the busier scenes but it also does the best job of explaining what's cool about the combat, I think.

netcat posted:

I think the game looks really cool but as soon as I saw the HUNT GATHER SURVIVE stuff I basically lost interest :( I don't know how major part of the game it is but survival games in general are the worst

Sigma-X posted:

I didn't realize you were a survival game, I thought you were more legend of zelda ish.

StrixNebulosa posted:

You restore health by eating food/corn and drinking water, so it was a huge part of the demo to gather food. Not obnoxiously so, mind you, you would automatically store the food so you could eat it later. I thought it worked well and was fairly intuitive.

OH okay looks like that stuff has a lot of baggage. StrixNebulosa is right, the survival part of the game is like a lore wrapper for picking up health items, not a deep survival simulation. I'll de-emphasize that

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

swamp waste posted:

OH okay looks like that stuff has a lot of baggage. StrixNebulosa is right, the survival part of the game is like a lore wrapper for picking up health items, not a deep survival simulation. I'll de-emphasize that

Yeah a lot of people are starting to get tired of crafting/survival games, or for food/water mechanics to be slapped onto other games, because the concept is kind of overdone and it essentially just amounts to constantly having to babysit a pair of meters while you're trying to do something actually interesting. If that's not the case in your game then definitely don't emphasize it in a way that might give people the wrong idea.

I think the most egregious example lately of a game wasting a great concept with such design choices is We Happy Few, which would make a killer linear/heavily scripted single player game but was turned into yet another procedurally-generated open world crafting/survival game. I get that it can take years to put out a game and that by the time it comes out or at least reaches early access it might no longer be on-trend but god drat.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

swamp waste posted:

I'm baffled as to how you have the most generically generic thing you can say without meaning anything about an open world survival sandbox - "use STEALTH and TACTICS" - and something incredibly specific and interesting - "make magic from corn".

That's my super nitpicky opinion on your video game trailer, internet man.

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!

BattleMaster posted:

I think the most egregious example lately of a game wasting a great concept with such design choices is We Happy Few, which would make a killer linear/heavily scripted single player game but

lol that people actually like this poo poo

:wtc:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ran Mad Dog posted:

Hey at least those games actually get finished.

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!
Seriously I've heard nothing but complaints on these forums about the cookie cutter COD-like games that are just moving from heavily scripted set-piece to heavily scripted setpiece. The market is completely saturated with this garbage and we're supposed to believe it's the next new thing?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ran Mad Dog posted:

Seriously I've heard nothing but complaints on these forums about the cookie cutter COD-like games that are just moving from heavily scripted set-piece to heavily scripted setpiece. The market is completely saturated with this garbage and we're supposed to believe it's the next new thing?

Open world survival games on the other hand are so rare.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ran Mad Dog posted:

You're surprised people like one of the most popular kinds of games?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
What BattleMaster is getting at is that We Happy Few should have been something more like Bioshock where its not super linear, but its more narrative driven with set level design in mind.

I'd also agree with that.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ran Mad Dog posted:

Good scripted linear single-player games are not saturating the market. Open world survival proc gen garbage is saturating the market

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Just play Call of Duty...

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Ran Mad Dog posted:

Because CoD is famous for it's interesting narrative and fantastic art design? No wait, CoD is famous for being a heavily scripted, ugly, boring, badly written game where you watch AI companions do stuff while they loudly exclaim how awesome player-character-X is. That's not at all what people are asking for when they say they wanted stuff like We Happy Few to be scripted and linear.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Call of Duty is good

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
So a game having actual level design instead of random crap or a half assed "open world" or the worst of both makes it Call of Duty now? What?

Has call of duty somehow retconned itself into the only game ever made before 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Give me a heavily scripted game any day over an aimless make-your-own-fun nonsense. No Man's Sky is the opening and closing argument.

Just looking through that game's concept art makes me wonder what it would've been like if it was a single large solar system with hand crafted content. They show off and talk about hollow planets, asteroid bases, metal worlds, and pirate compounds and then you play the final game and spend X time in a system where X is how long it takes to fuel your warp drive.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Call of Duty is good

Call of Duty is good and I play it for the campaign and co-op modes.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Acne Rain posted:

So a game having actual level design instead of random crap or a half assed "open world" or the worst of both makes it Call of Duty now? What?

Has call of duty somehow retconned itself into the only game ever made before 2015

Some people just really like Minecraft, I guess.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

BattleMaster posted:

I think the most egregious example lately of a game wasting a great concept with such design choices is We Happy Few, which would make a killer linear/heavily scripted single player game but was turned into yet another procedurally-generated open world crafting/survival game. I get that it can take years to put out a game and that by the time it comes out or at least reaches early access it might no longer be on-trend but god drat.

I can't believe they came up with an interesting aesthetic and stealth mechanic and took a hard turn into 'zombie survival game where you can put a zombie disguise on'.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Call of Duty is good

I always preferred Battlefield, but… Origin. :cry:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Accordion Man posted:

What BattleMaster is getting at is that We Happy Few should have been something more like Bioshock where its not super linear, but its more narrative driven with set level design in mind.

I'd also agree with that.

Yeah that's what I was getting at, games like Bioshock games or the new Wolfenstein games or even Spec Ops: The Line where the crazy world and aesthetic was actually put to good use instead of making you wander around aimless looking for food.

It's kind of weird that some people had a bad reaction to that when most games follow the linear story with lots of setpieces and scripting pattern and manage to not be formulaic going-through-the-motions minimal viable products like Call of Duty or Medal of Honor. I guess there's a spectrum but games that go hard towards open world often use that as an excuse to not have very much unique content.

edit: even Deus Ex games are highly linear through the story and have a lot of scripting even if you have a lot of choices as to how to approach each mission. A Deus Ex style approach to We Happy Few where you can dress up and try to fake it, or sneak, or fight through each mission would be a lot better than going hard open world/crafting/survival/procedural

fishmech posted:

You're surprised people like one of the most popular kinds of games?

essentially every game except for the massive glut of indie procgen survival games, or a few high-profile western RPGs, or sandbox building games

but no let's just distill that into call of duty

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 5, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tippis posted:

Origin is perfectly functional and if you let its existence keep you from enjoying games you'd like then :laffo:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Tippis posted:

I don't think the games are that comparable really but I haven't played a Battlefield past 2. Wake Island is sick

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Digirat posted:

Origin is perfectly functional and if you let its existence keep you from enjoying games you'd like then :laffo:

I forgot my password and the password retrieval/reset system doesn't work for some reason. It literally says it's sending me an email but it doesn't. I'm not alone with having this problem. That's not even remotely functional.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

swamp waste posted:

Thanks! That helps a lot.

What do you think about the visual clarity of that first combat scene, the one that starts at :08? That is one of the busier scenes but it also does the best job of explaining what's cool about the combat, I think.

Yeah, steer right the gently caress away from equating yourself to survival sandboxes because there's way too many tedious lovely ones out there now.

Focus on things that are core to the gameplay loop, and that make the narrative interesting. Honestly what you have looks interesting enough that there's no need to play up every little aspect, people care about the core of your game, show that the core is fun and it should be mission accomplished.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah that's what I was getting at, games like Bioshock games or the new Wolfenstein games or even Spec Ops: The Line where the crazy world and aesthetic was actually put to good use instead of making you wander around aimless looking for food.

It's kind of weird that some people had a bad reaction to that when most games follow the linear story with lots of setpieces and scripting pattern and manage to not be formulaic going-through-the-motions minimal viable products like Call of Duty or Medal of Honor. I guess there's a spectrum but games that go hard towards open world often use that as an excuse to not have very much unique content.[...]

I fully agree. Even CoD can be fun for what it is, but if I see a game like We Happy Few or PAMELA, I'm thinking they'd be cool if they were closer to Deus Ex or Half-Life mechanically. But survival crafting can :fuckoff:

When I found out PAMELA is another survival crafting game I got really annoyed for a minute. Way to waste a somewhat interesting aesthetic and premise on one of the worst fads since MOBAs.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Renoistic posted:

I forgot my password and the password retrieval/reset system doesn't work for some reason. It literally says it's sending me an email but it doesn't. I'm not alone with having this problem. That's not even remotely functional.

Spam folders, correct email set, etc?

I mean, if it wasn't remotely functional, then there might be more complaints. You can try their customer service as well, because they actually have one.

Please report back and let us know if the resolution involved extracting a thumb from an rear end.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Hav posted:

Spam folders, correct email set, etc?

I mean, if it wasn't remotely functional, then there might be more complaints. You can try their customer service as well, because they actually have one.

Please report back and let us know if the resolution involved extracting a thumb from an rear end.

Cute. Well, at least your talking down to me motivated me to try out this solution, and it worked! TLDR I had to create a SW: ToR account and reset my EA password through the game's site. Absolutely pathetic display by EA/Origin.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Interceptor games just launched a kickstarter for Rad Rogers, a platformer which seems to be a cross between Commander Keen and Conker's Bad Fur Day. This is probably the most polished looking kickstarter project I've seen. animation looks top notch!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HHZfVCbssE

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Colon Semicolon posted:

Interceptor games just launched a kickstarter for Rad Rogers, a platformer which seems to be a cross between Commander Keen and Conker's Bad Fur Day. This is probably the most polished looking kickstarter project I've seen. animation looks top notch!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HHZfVCbssE

:laffo: at the "this game looks like a kid game, but it's not! You can overkill plants!" with all the extreme-o blood splatters.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Renoistic posted:

Cute. Well, at least your talking down to me motivated me to try out this solution, and it worked! TLDR I had to create a SW: ToR account and reset my EA password through the game's site. Absolutely pathetic display by EA/Origin.

Yeah, did you take a rest after the first six steps, or just plow all the way through?

Either way, I'm glad you got a result, but if there's one thing to complain about with Origin, it's not the customer service. Steam has habituated people into thinking that customer service is an option for an online store.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

StrixNebulosa posted:

:laffo: at the "this game looks like a kid game, but it's not! You can overkill plants!" with all the extreme-o blood splatters.

That's an incredibly boring outlook and i feel bad for you.

Aterdux
Jun 8, 2012

On the way to Eisenwald
We posted an update about castles improvements in Eisenwald: Blood of November - they will have a higher strategic value in this new game compared to Legends of Eisenwald. Btw, we are already 43% with 13 days to go.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

we happy few even has a good intro that's setting it up like a bioshock game and then nope just another lovely survival game.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

That Rad Rodgers game looks like Ruff n Tumble sequel that never was, and I'm totally okay with that. I'll keep my eye on it.

In the meantime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAZy1ZOYRI0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I was trying to remember the name of that game and I was saved by the person with Psygnosis avatar, of course.