Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Just got told on Facebook from a pseudoscience distant relative that ultrasounds will harm the baby. Is this kinda just....off in left field conspiracy theory stuff? I'm having a hard time finding anything that isn't some weird homeopathic website that supports this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ignore all (unsolicited) advice from distant and also close relatives.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Man, I know I shouldn't get upset about it...but it just irks me to no end. I guess it's the way you present things, too. Distant relative pretty much said like, "Oh I'm happy you're finding out baby's gender, but not happy you're getting an ultrasound. It harms the baby." It's just weirdly belittling. I can understand if I'm doing something off or weird, let me know about it and present the evidence behind it. I'm new to all this and I know I don't have everything figured out, so I'm open to new ideas. Just don't be a smug rear end in a top hat when giving advice. Is that too much to ask?

Rant over.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
There was something going around on fb about a study done recently that linked higher ultrasound use in the first trimester and increased severity of autism in kids diagnosed with autism, but they took great care to say they weren't suggesting ultrasounds caused the increased severity of symptoms, or the autism at all. Just that they saw a link with increased severity of symptoms and increased usage of ultrasound in the first trimester, just in kids who were diagnosed.

Of course most people immediately skim read that and go 'ULTRASOUNDS CAUSE AUTISM :derp: !!1'. What can you do.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

There have been crazy people claiming ultrasounds cause xyz for a while now. There's been no scientific proof of anything.

I wouldn't get an ultrasound that isn't something within the normal course of your pregnancy (for some women this is only 1, for some it's every other week or more depending on the pregnancy) but I wouldn't freak out about doing any.

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007
I agree with sheri. Ultrasound is a powerful diagnostic tool and the benefits of potentially detecting and treating/managing a health situation with the baby far outweigh the risks of "zomg ultrasounds cause xyz" to me. I wouldn't get them super often unless medically indicated, but overall I think ultrasounds are responsible for way more good than harm.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

Hello everyone.

I'm currently about 6 weeks pregnant, I've got my first Dr's appt tomorrow to confirm.

At the moment, I'm not doing so well, I'm incredibly nauseous, to the point where I can't eat properly, and it's waking me up in the night so I'm also incredibly tired. I've also had to tell work, because I needed to explain why I was constantly not at my desk because I'm in the toilets. If I time it right I can keep down a multivitamin, some ginger ale and most of dinner, but everything else is a right off. This started on the day before I missed my period and hasn't let up since.

I'm also immensely tearful. I'm not sure if this is hormones, or low blood sugar, or stress (we're buying a house). I keep having proper sobbing fits. I burst into tears in front of my finance earlier today which I didn't want to do, and he was very good about it.

This is normal isn't it? And it's all going to let up in a few weeks? I'm worried about sobbing all over the poor doctor who's going to see me tomorrow.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
I have felt pretty emotional through my whole pregnancy not gonna lie. but it was worse when I was mega nauseated and stressed (we bought a house recently too). Hang in there! The hormonal side effects do get better / change to different ones after the placenta takes over for making the baby growth hormones in the early 2nd tri.

As for ultrasounds, loving lol. They are one of the most harmless diagnostic tools there is. There is SOME, UNPROVEN thought that lengthy ultrasounds (more than 10-15 mins) done repeatedly and regularly can cause air in cells to expand but even that is negligible at best. I know plenty of people who worked in clinics who'd do a quick, few-second "hello" to their baby most days when they were pregnant. My parents in law tried to pull the "you are having too many ultrasounds" thing (I had two in my first tri, one to confirm dates and one to get a couple of pics to surprise my dad when he came to visit from Australia) and I just ignored them. My husband was like "no she's not." and that was it. Don't entertain that poo poo. One of the best pieces of advice I was given from my husband's judge/boss was "people are gonna give you so much advice and so much of it is total bullshit that you should thoroughly ignore". He was right.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009
I have to leave the room when the Amazon commercial with the dog in the lion costume comes on or I will start bawling....

So yes, crying all the time for no reason can be totally normal.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

SquirrelFace posted:

I have to leave the room when the Amazon commercial with the dog in the lion costume comes on or I will start bawling....

DO NOT

EVEN MENTION

too late even thinking about it makes me cry. DOGS ARE SO loving GOOD :cry:

E: Things that have made me cry during this pregnancy, just a short selection:

- my previous landlords mowed all the longish grass around the house which meant that the groundhog family that lived under the porch had all their little grass tunnels/paths destroyed
- how cute onesies are
- my husband carefully carrying the fake baby at the baby store like it was real
- my husband agreeing with me when I said "I feel huge"
- how much i love my husband [nothing remarkable there but the last two things were about 2 mins apart if that]

Honestly this is just off the top of my head it has been constant

Sharks Below fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 4, 2016

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

LizzieBorden posted:

Hello everyone.

I'm currently about 6 weeks pregnant, I've got my first Dr's appt tomorrow to confirm.

At the moment, I'm not doing so well, I'm incredibly nauseous, to the point where I can't eat properly, and it's waking me up in the night so I'm also incredibly tired. I've also had to tell work, because I needed to explain why I was constantly not at my desk because I'm in the toilets. If I time it right I can keep down a multivitamin, some ginger ale and most of dinner, but everything else is a right off. This started on the day before I missed my period and hasn't let up since.

I'm also immensely tearful. I'm not sure if this is hormones, or low blood sugar, or stress (we're buying a house). I keep having proper sobbing fits. I burst into tears in front of my finance earlier today which I didn't want to do, and he was very good about it.

This is normal isn't it? And it's all going to let up in a few weeks? I'm worried about sobbing all over the poor doctor who's going to see me tomorrow.

I always cried and felt terribly pathetic everytime I vomited. Last ob/gyn visit I pretty much brought up whether or not this was just hormones or depression and should I worry about it. Physician told me if I have trouble doing normal life things (getting out of bed, going to work) or have feeling over harming myself or my child, then I should just chalk everything up to hormones. My physician prescribed me phenergan 25mg tabs for the nausea. The whole tab pretty much made me pass out so I quarter tabbed them and that made the nausea go away without me having to sleep twelve hours.

Thanks for the ultrasound chat/advice. I know in the back of my mind it's safe, but I guess I go into hormone rage when people are so lovely with unsolicited advice.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Sharks Below posted:

DO NOT

EVEN MENTION

too late even thinking about it makes me cry. DOGS ARE SO loving GOOD :cry:

E: Things that have made me cry during this pregnancy, just a short selection:

- my previous landlords mowed all the longish grass around the house which meant that the groundhog family that lived under the porch had all their little grass tunnels/paths destroyed
- how cute onesies are
- my husband carefully carrying the fake baby at the baby store like it was real
- my husband agreeing with me when I said "I feel huge"
- how much i love my husband [nothing remarkable there but the last two things were about 2 mins apart if that]

Honestly this is just off the top of my head it has been constant

:roflolmao:

I feel a bit disappointed that I have not had any overwhelming emotions or hormonal swings during the course of my pregnancy. The only thing that really stirs me is when I going looking at baby clothes. Nor have I had any odd cravings. In a way I guess this is a Good Thing, especially for my partner as he hasn't had to deal with any of that.

I'm on maternity leave now which is ace, I've got 8 weeks to get my poo poo together.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.

SquirrelFace posted:

Well to be fair that is an awesome commercial.

Anyone get the heart palpitations/tachycardia really bad?? This morning (yesterday? I don't know I work night shift! Sunday morning!) my heart rate was 120 and my heart was pounding out my chest/throat. I tried some vagal stuff but drat it was the blurst. I don't know how much it is normal or if I should tell the doc.

Hopefully we see the perinatologists early this week. drat hurricane and holiday ruined everything but I've been working all weekend so mostly distracted.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

I feel like I get winded a lot worse. Like normally I can take the stairs at work, but no go when I feel like hot death after going to the fourth floor. I've had to cut back on work outs a lot because I need a lot more breaks between sets.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

Miranda posted:

Well to be fair that is an awesome commercial.

Anyone get the heart palpitations/tachycardia really bad?? This morning (yesterday? I don't know I work night shift! Sunday morning!) my heart rate was 120 and my heart was pounding out my chest/throat. I tried some vagal stuff but drat it was the blurst. I don't know how much it is normal or if I should tell the doc.

Hopefully we see the perinatologists early this week. drat hurricane and holiday ruined everything but I've been working all weekend so mostly distracted.

I got that pretty early on and it was pretty freaky the first time it happened. Haven't had much since the first trimester though. Midwife said it was normal.

I also got a cool new heart murmur which she said also can be a thing that happens during pregnancy, but that it should go away after the baby is born.

There's a lot of random poo poo that can happen to you when pregnant that never gets mentioned so don't worry about bringing anything up to your primary care provider. They've heard everything and in my experience, are pretty understanding when it comes to first time moms calling with all kinds of worries.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
re: crying fits
I got one when Magics "no way no" came.on the radio and hey, last night I woke up at 4 am and irrationally thoight "what if my husband runs away one day and doesn't come back until way later without telling me where he's gone" and I cried and cried. Good times.

my cravings have been relatively mild so far, I wanted a veggie sausage with pierogies and mustard on it which was weird and mcdonalds chicken nuggets which was actually weirder for me because I don't like mcdonalds and haven't eaten it in about 5 years.

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 5, 2016

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

Ms. Happiness posted:

I always cried and felt terribly pathetic everytime I vomited. Last ob/gyn visit I pretty much brought up whether or not this was just hormones or depression and should I worry about it. Physician told me if I have trouble doing normal life things (getting out of bed, going to work) or have feeling over harming myself or my child, then I should just chalk everything up to hormones. My physician prescribed me phenergan 25mg tabs for the nausea. The whole tab pretty much made me pass out so I quarter tabbed them and that made the nausea go away without me having to sleep twelve hours.

Thanks for the ultrasound chat/advice. I know in the back of my mind it's safe, but I guess I go into hormone rage when people are so lovely with unsolicited advice.

lovely unsolicited advice makes me rage, too. I'm surprised that I don't have any pending assault charges against one of my coworkers. She is, of course, an expert on pregnancy since she got pregnant once about 40 years ago, and didn't even know it until she was five months along. Highlights from her include:
* When I mentioned having to be extra careful with food safety because Listeria is scary, "I don't think that's real. Think of all the people who had babies and weren't careful."
* My nausea was bad enough, even with medication, that I was absent from work/working from home pretty much my whole first trimester. Now that I'm farther along it works fine, but makes me groggy and easily distracted. When I explained that was why I "looked so tired", she replied with "Can't you just not take it and man up?"
* When I explained that I had not "finished the nursery yet" because we're keeping the kid in the room with us, and decorating is more my husband's thing anyway, "Wasn't he doing the cooking, too? You've just given up on everything, haven't you?"
*She has informed me on multiple occasions that no matter how miserable my pregnancy has been, what my financial situation is, or what my family's plans were all along, I simply can't have just one kid. "Though I guess I just had the one because I got pregnant when I was 16 and then nobody married me until I was 40."

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
She needs punching, she does.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I have a feeling that my one coworker will be like that. She's super Type A and really aggressive about "advice". She's generally unpleasant as it is so I really won't be surprised.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Sharks Below posted:

She needs punching, she does.

poo poo, I'll come punch her for you Armadillo.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
so far I have been let off pretty lightly in the unsolicited advice department, but thay might be something to do with the fact I am a nearly 6 foot tall woman and am therefore probably too intimidating to give advice too. Being tall is handy sometimes.

I have had the odd 'you shouldn't be lifting that' for stuff that isn't even that heavy, and normally come back with 'I lifted weights for several years so I know how to do it safely, and if I need help I will ask, thanks for your concern.'

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009
We live in Wisconsin and my mom was worried about me being outside because I might catch Zika....

Lucky for her it was so hot I just hibernated inside anyway.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

Gravitee posted:

I can take some solace in the fact that her life is a hellscape. She was once fired for a while because she shipped some merchandise to the wrong country one too many times, and has on more than one occasion whined about only having $4 in her bank account. This is obviously because we get paid every two weeks instead of weekly, not because she's lousy at budgeting.

Luckily I'm back to working from home for now, so I just get to shout obscenities at her all-caps emails that tell me the most recent thing she hosed up on/needs me to apologize to a customer for. What with the way I negotiated my leave (after the kid is born I get a month off at half pay, and then get to work from home for two months at full pay), I will not actually have to come into face-to-face contact with Ms. Horrible until after the new year. :toot:

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I started crying at a Springsteen song on the radio. Had to pull over to the side of the highway until I got my poo poo together.

kittiesgomeow
Oct 13, 2008

This avatar cost on average $27.
What are the best recommended books for the first years? I feel like I know plenty about pregnancy and labor and less about the aftermath. Sleep training (for example) and just in general what I should expect them to be able to do at a given age.

I've heard other people recommend "Happiest ... on the Block" series. Is it worth buying or just getting from the library? What about the "What to Expect" series? I bought my husband "The Expectant/New Father" since they seemed to be so highly rated and I'll likely be reading through them too.

Or did you guys never read any parenting books? Should I ask in the parenting thread? I just have so many questions!

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Baby 411! Toddler 411. Wonder weeks!

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

sheri posted:

Baby 411! Toddler 411. Wonder weeks!

Wonder weeks App is great too.

Honestly I've not had too bad of an experience with Babycenter's website.

I also joined a few good FB groups that really helped me out.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.

Gravitee posted:

We'll all come punch her

SquirrelFace posted:

We live in Wisconsin and my mom was worried about me being outside because I might catch Zika....

Lucky for her it was so hot I just hibernated inside anyway.

We're in Georgia and I actually am concerned. Although apparently the mozzies in this area eat the ones that transmit Zika!

Funhilde posted:

I also joined a few good FB groups that really helped me out.

Do we have a goon parenting etc FB group because I'll be in on that!

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!

Miranda posted:

Do we have a goon parenting etc FB group because I'll be in on that!

Yah, it's p huge and much more active than this thread actually. You'd have to friend someone in the group to be added, I'm not sure if you have to be admin--I think there's a searchable version (search "Something awful parenting group") that's just to say 'Hi my username is xyz please add me to the secret group ty'.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
All my doctors and midwives have told me that "What to Expect" should be avoided. I really enjoyed "Expecting Better" by Emily Oster.

I've started readying "The Nursing Mother's Companion" and it's good, it's very very pro-BF but that's to be expected.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sharks Below posted:

All my doctors and midwives have told me that "What to Expect" should be avoided. I really enjoyed "Expecting Better" by Emily Oster.

I've started readying "The Nursing Mother's Companion" and it's good, it's very very pro-BF but that's to be expected.

My friend has lent me 'The womanly art of breastfeeding' and I can't quite bring myself to read it because of the title but I have heard it's quite good. Once I finish reading about Scott's doomed expedition to the South Pole I might give it a crack.

kittiesgomeow
Oct 13, 2008

This avatar cost on average $27.

Sharks Below posted:

I heard the same thing about "What to Expect." Sort of surprising to me, considering how ubiquitous they seem, but I've avoided them nonetheless. I had a few people mention the wonder weeks app, so I will add that to my list.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Just don't wanna mess my little guy up for life :(

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

I enjoyed Baby 411, it was useful and fun to read. After baby got here, I just google what I need to know... I googled various sleep training techniques and ended up doing pick up/put down at 3.5 months and then modified cry it out (ferber) at 5 months. Worked great, really didn't need a whole book for either.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Sharks Below posted:

All my doctors and midwives have told me that "What to Expect" should be avoided.

What's wrong with the "What to Expect" books? I read "What to Expect Before You're Expecting" and it seemed basic to me, but nothing seemed glaringly bad.

Eponymous Bosch
Aug 11, 2010
"What to Expect" has a lot of fear mongering and can cause unnecessary worry. Personally, I loved the Mayo Clinics Guide to Pregnancy and found it comprehensive without being overly "terrible poo poo will happen to you!" Except, terrible poo poo did happen that I dismissed as rare and so there's that. Worrying about it beforehand wouldn't have helped anyway.

If you're close to birth I recommend only reading positive things and Ina May's Guide to Childbirth is excellent to give you a good state of mind for labor and delivery. Even after having probably one of the worst postpartum experiences ever, I can honestly say labor and giving birth was one of the most joyous and exhilarating moments of my life and in no small part to how I thought about it beforehand.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

My wife and I have also been using the Mayo Clinic Guide as our primary source and it's been great. We avoided What to Expect for the same reasons you're discussing: this is already scary enough without someone telling us that our baby could have three heads if we have the wrong molecular balance in our house's air. I also picked up "Your Pregnancy for the Father-to-Be" for myself, and I've been pretty impressed with it--it's very matter-of-fact and is full of hot tipz about supporting a pregnant partner. A lot of the dad-oriented pregnancy books seem to be all "What to do when your wife won't let you hang in the man-cave with your bros" which isn't really my cup of tea, but this isn't like that at all.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
I have Mayo Clinic too, it's in my kindle books because Amazon gave me a free book when I signed up for their registry thingy. I find it hard to plough through non-fiction books so I'll have to put more effort into it because it seemed good.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010
I don't want to go to a childbirth class because if I come face-to-face with a woman who has ~*~never felt better!~*~ than when she was pregnant, or someone who thinks getting an epidural automatically makes you a bad mother, I am probably going to cry or punch something. What are some good resources I can go through while remaining a cranky hermit?

I'm planning on a regular hospital birth, if that matters in recommendations.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Sharks Below posted:

I have Mayo Clinic too, it's in my kindle books because Amazon gave me a free book when I signed up for their registry thingy. I find it hard to plough through non-fiction books so I'll have to put more effort into it because it seemed good.

I found that book incredibly dry and boring... I liked Expecting 411 much more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

I don't want to go to a childbirth class because if I come face-to-face with a woman who has ~*~never felt better!~*~ than when she was pregnant, or someone who thinks getting an epidural automatically makes you a bad mother, I am probably going to cry or punch something. What are some good resources I can go through while remaining a cranky hermit?

I'm planning on a regular hospital birth, if that matters in recommendations.

I found our childbirth class to be pretty diverse in term of attendees. It was through the hospital. It was mostly pain management discussion but also covered Epidural, C-Section, Induction and breastfeeding.